Chris Evert Thread - Page 50 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #736
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I must admit that I hadn't heard her name in years, until you brought it up, I didn't know she commentated for ES, and I watch tennis on there often. As for her private life, who cares, each to there own!
The commentary is going back years to when Eurosport first started, cant remember if it was the Federation Cups in Germany she commentated on in the mid 90s. As for Bunge and anyone elses private life, it is their business and no one elses.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #737
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Holy GAWD. I felt like torturing myself yesterday so I watched TWICE the 1973 Wimbledon final between Billie Jean and Chrissie. It was painful. A hot poker stuck in my body orifices would have hurt less!

I intended to record it, but decided I didn't want to re-live that pain again (I knew there was a reason I had made no effort to do so since it first aired!).

Watching this match, I remembered how rough a first pro season Chris had in 1973 (despite playing some great matches, like the FO final against Court). She was battling with her mother over wanting to spend time with her boyfriend, and wanting freedom from her parents in general, and learning to lose, lose, lose! It wasn't awful, but it wasn't a pretty time for her either.

Chris was sooo tight in that first set. They talked about how Chris (who the male Brit commentator kept referring to as "the younger player" or "the younger generation") had played well against Court, but against BJK, not only was Chris moving horribly and hitting countless UEs, but nothing was going her way. Her weak serve was a delight for King.

I think BJK even had two or maybe it was three net cords go her way, while Chris was probably wondering if she could hide in the corner before she tripped over her own feet and suffered a head injury!

It wasn't until the last point of the 4th game in the second set that Chris really, really started to find her game -- for a moment that is. Didn't really last. Billie Jean was on top of it and her in every way. Still, it was nice to see the teeny bopper pretty 18 year old Evert, AND a young and pretty late 20's King rushing the net once again. I loved Billie's hair cut back then (I even went and had my own hair cut in a shag like hers).

Tonight's match is better! It's when Arthur Ashe surprised everyone and kicked Jimmy's butt in the 1975 Wimbie final. I was so happy at the time because I did not like how Jimmy was treating Chrissie! Hehehe...

Ahhhhh, how I loved tennis back when it was not only interesting for the sport but for the dramas and the romance!

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #738

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
I wish I could say that I have led a sheltered life- would have saved me a lot of blushes!!! I think there was talk that Bunge was an alcoholic- rubbish- and a lesbian. For the latter who cares if she is happy? I know that she commentated for Eurosport for a while but that seemed to be ages ago.
I don't think anything such as a truly "private" life exist even for those of us who are not famous! Gawd forbid what the wagging tongues say about me behind my back. But who gives a rats butt.

I'm sorry to hear that Bunge had some hard times post tennis. I liked her as a player, and I thought for a time that she was the prettiest girl player on the tour.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #739
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

I agree that the 1973 Wimbledon final was painful if you were a Chrissie fan,I suspect if you were a BJK fan you rather enjoyed it! Chrissie was only 18, little more than a baby really, but her day would come. It's refreshing, in a way to know that Chris, had the same growing problems, as everyone else, especially in the boyfriend department. That must be a world-wide arguement, between parents and teenagers. that is still carried on today.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have the Tennis Channel? Us Brits, are always jealous, of people who do have it! I love watching old matches, but usually that only happens here, in a rain delay at Wimbledon!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #740

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have the Tennis Channel? Us Brits, are always jealous, of people who do have it! I love watching old matches, but usually that only happens here, in a rain delay at Wimbledon!
Yes, I do have TTC, and this match was featured there. When we changed from Comcast to Time Warner last year TTC was available.

It's pretty bad when they re-air the same current match over and over (and it's mostly ATP), but it's been great recently, as they re-aired Chrissie v Martina 1985 just before the FO (I think 86 was better...but I didn't care so long as it was Chrissie), and now the 1973 Wimbledon final.

A couple of years ago, they even aired a WTT set between Wade and Evert from 1976 or 77 (my memory ain't what it used to be! !). They've been airing a lot of matches from the mid 70's Pepsi Challenge, so I've seen Vitas, Borg, Connors, I think Newcombe, maybe Gottfried...I forget as some I just caught a glimpse of. Too bad they don't offer live streams...?

I wish they'd air more old matches -- even it was at odd hours. Not long ago they aired a WTT featuring Evonne, but my DVR is broken so I couldn't record it unfortunately. Wouldn't it be great if they had the FO 1973 final? Although, I think that I read on the board that maybe the original tape was recorded over?

I used to work in post production here in LA, so I know that was common (learned it when I was tracking down some early 70's Johnny Carson footage for a movie trailer my company was doing). What a shame. Sooo much was lost in that practice!

If our fellow member Tennisvideos can't find it, then I've lost hope that it exist.

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #741
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryfoolisNJ View Post
Yes, I do have TTC, and this match was featured there. When we changed from Comcast to Time Warner last year TTC was available.

It's pretty bad when they re-air the same current match over and over (and it's mostly ATP), but it's been great recently, as they re-aired Chrissie v Martina 1985 just before the FO (I think 86 was better...but I didn't care so long as it was Chrissie), and now the 1973 Wimbledon final.

A couple of years ago, they even aired a WTT set between Wade and Evert from 1976 or 77 (my memory ain't what it used to be! !). They've been airing a lot of matches from the mid 70's Pepsi Challenge, so I've seen Vitas, Borg, Connors, I think Newcombe, maybe Gottfried...I forget as some I just caught a glimpse of. Too bad they don't offer live streams...?

I wish they'd air more old matches -- even it was at odd hours. Not long ago they aired a WTT featuring Evonne, but my DVR is broken so I couldn't record it unfortunately. Wouldn't it be great if they had the FO 1973 final? Although, I think that I read on the board that maybe the original tape was recorded over?

I used to work in post production here in LA, so I know that was common (learned it when I was tracking down some early 70's Johnny Carson footage for a movie trailer my company was doing). What a shame. Sooo much was lost in that practice!

If our fellow member Tennisvideos can't find it, then I've lost hope that it exist.
I talk to someone on another tennis site, who has the TC, and she often tells what match, they will be showing!

To watch the old matches, with all the great stars, like, Chrissie,Martina, BJK, must be amazing. I've gone of womens tennis at the moment, there seems to be no excitment or life in the game, not like the old days. Men's tennis,on the other hand,has so many fantastic players to watch,like Rafa, Fed, Novak,etc. Not that it wasn't exciting back in the day, with the likes of Jimmy, Johnny Mac and Borg.

I went to Wembley, when I was young, and saw Johnny Mac throw a mega tantrum, while playing John Lioyd. I can still hear the shocked gasp's of the crowd, as he wrecked rows of tulips, lovingly prepared, by some hard-working groundsperson! Poor Lloydy at the other emd, didn't know what to do They certainly don't make them like Mac anymore
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #742
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Holy GAWD. I felt like torturing myself yesterday so I watched TWICE the 1973 Wimbledon final between Billie Jean and Chrissie. It was painful. A hot poker stuck in my body orifices would have hurt less!
i thought it was painfully slow, unlike the semifinal chris played against court. you would think her appearance in the final of the french a month prior would give her more calm on this occasion, but she was just out of sorts. The 1971 semi from the us open she played against billie was actually much more fun and competitive!!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #743
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I intended to record it, but decided I didn't want to re-live that pain again (I knew there was a reason I had made no effort to do so since it first aired!).

Watching this match, I remembered how rough a first pro season Chris had in 1973 (despite playing some great matches, like the FO final against Court). She was battling with her mother over wanting to spend time with her boyfriend, and wanting freedom from her parents in general, and learning to lose, lose, lose! It wasn't awful, but it wasn't a pretty time for her either.

Chris was sooo tight in that first set. They talked about how Chris (who the male Brit commentator kept referring to as "the younger player" or "the younger generation") had played well against Court, but against BJK, not only was Chris moving horribly and hitting countless UEs, but nothing was going her way. Her weak serve was a delight for King.

I think BJK even had two or maybe it was three net cords go her way, while Chris was probably wondering if she could hide in the corner before she tripped over her own feet and suffered a head injury!

It wasn't until the last point of the 4th game in the second set that Chris really, really started to find her game -- for a moment that is. Didn't really last. Billie Jean was on top of it and her in every way. Still, it was nice to see the teeny bopper pretty 18 year old Evert, AND a young and pretty late 20's King rushing the net once again. I loved Billie's hair cut back then (I even went and had my own hair cut in a shag like hers).

Tonight's match is better! It's when Arthur Ashe surprised everyone and kicked Jimmy's butt in the 1975 Wimbie final. I was so happy at the time because I did not like how Jimmy was treating Chrissie! Hehehe...

Ahhhhh, how I loved tennis back when it was not only interesting for the sport but for the dramas and the romance!
Sounds like it was a baptism of fire in a Wimbledon final for Evert. I have only seen clips of it and the bits I saw indicated a rampant BJK on top form. I suppose for Chris it was a really hard surface to master as well. I mean it was not until she beat Navratilova and Goolagong to win in 76 that she really scored on grass against the best on the surface. I know she beat Court in 73 but there seems to be so many doubts re the great Australians fitness in that one.
Do you know what Evert herself says of this period in her development?
I have never heard her say it was a negative time, but yes for a catholic girl with a potential husband on the way, she must have been distracted. Knowing her not that much though!!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #744
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I agree that the 1973 Wimbledon final was painful if you were a Chrissie fan,I suspect if you were a BJK fan you rather enjoyed it! Chrissie was only 18, little more than a baby really, but her day would come. It's refreshing, in a way to know that Chris, had the same growing problems, as everyone else, especially in the boyfriend department. That must be a world-wide arguement, between parents and teenagers. that is still carried on today.

And just think- horror of horrors. With this new roof we will not be getting so much of the old matches anymore!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #745
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I talk to someone on another tennis site, who has the TC, and she often tells what match, they will be showing!

To watch the old matches, with all the great stars, like, Chrissie,Martina, BJK, must be amazing. I've gone of womens tennis at the moment, there seems to be no excitment or life in the game, not like the old days. Men's tennis,on the other hand,has so many fantastic players to watch,like Rafa, Fed, Novak,etc. Not that it wasn't exciting back in the day, with the likes of Jimmy, Johnny Mac and Borg.

I went to Wembley, when I was young, and saw Johnny Mac throw a mega tantrum, while playing John Lioyd. I can still hear the shocked gasp's of the crowd, as he wrecked rows of tulips, lovingly prepared, by some hard-working groundsperson! Poor Lloydy at the other emd, didn't know what to do They certainly don't make them like Mac anymore
I know what fantastic characters they were then. But as you say there is no shortage of that quality still in the mens game. If anything it is stronger than ever. But yea the womens game is so colourless somehow. With the exception of the Williams and Mauresmo I cannot get too excited.
I hope that the womens game regains its rightful place in the affections of fans and in the interest levels of the general public. Imagine what we have now with an era that included- Evert, King ,Court, Casals,Wade,Richey, Stove,Durr,Turnbull,Goolagong,Barker,Austin,Ruzici ,Richards.............
Doesnt compare.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #746
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
I know what fantastic characters they were then. But as you say there is no shortage of that quality still in the mens game. If anything it is stronger than ever. But yea the womens game is so colourless somehow. With the exception of the Williams and Mauresmo I cannot get too excited.
I hope that the womens game regains its rightful place in the affections of fans and in the interest levels of the general public. Imagine what we have now with an era that included- Evert, King ,Court, Casals,Wade,Richey, Stove,Durr,Turnbull,Goolagong,Barker,Austin,Ruzici ,Richards.............
Doesnt compare.
I hope that when Kim returns, and with Maria back, that it might spark some interest. We need some good fianls, the French Open Final, wasn't worth watching. We need something that puts bum's on seats, not something that sends people running the otherway
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #747
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Quote:

I have seen glimpses of the 1973 French Open final. It was on a French website that showed old videos. It was black & white cinescope (that is what it appeared). I saw the second where Chris beat her in the tie-break. Didn't show the third set, though.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #748
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I hope that when Kim returns, and with Maria back, that it might spark some interest. We need some good fianls, the French Open Final, wasn't worth watching. We need something that puts bum's on seats, not something that sends people running the otherway
You are right, Sharapova has star quality and I do hope that Kim Clijsters can get back to a level such as Davenport did post pregnancy.And we DESPERATELY need a decent grand slam final. The French Open has not had a decent final since Kim played Capriati.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #749
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
I have seen glimpses of the 1973 French Open final. It was on a French website that showed old videos. It was black & white cinescope (that is what it appeared). I saw the second where Chris beat her in the tie-break. Didn't show the third set, though.
What was the match structure like Trivfun? Did Court rally the whole time or did she mix it up and venture to the net? It must have been one of the closest and most dramatic of all French finals of that era.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #750
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Sounds like it was a baptism of fire in a Wimbledon final for Evert. I have only seen clips of it and the bits I saw indicated a rampant BJK on top form. I suppose for Chris it was a really hard surface to master as well. I mean it was not until she beat Navratilova and Goolagong to win in 76 that she really scored on grass against the best on the surface. I know she beat Court in 73 but there seems to be so many doubts re the great Australians fitness in that one.
While all that is true, don't forget she entered the 1971 US Open unseeded (on grass) and tore through four very good players before being beaten by BJK, for whom that match was as important as Chrissie's own 1980 match against Tracy Austin - she had to win for her fledging Virginia Slims tour. Chrissie was even invited to play at Wimbledon in 1971, but her father declined the offer. I do not think grass was that hard for Chrissie to master. Yes, of course, she was a baseliner with a two-handed backhand and not the most athletic mover. BUT! People forget that her groundstrokes were so well honed that the horrible bounces (or non-bounces) on grass did not bother her so much, because she was always there with her racket ready. Also, the grass gave added zip to her own shooting groundstrokes. Yes, in 1974 she was lucky and I do not think she would have beaten the Old Lady, but who knows? You could never count out the Ice Maiden. She was already staying with Evonne at 1972 Wimbledon, her very first Wimbledon, where she was seeded four and made her seeding. She had quite a tough draw, having to play Mary Ann Eisel (!) in the third round, winning 8-6, 8-6 (please don't tell me Mary Ann was up 5-4 and 40-0 in the first set!). Evonne won their semi-final in a tough three-setter. On grass in the early 1970s, I would put Chrissie behind BJK, Madge and Evonne, but I would bet on Chrissie against anyone else - Rosebud, Ginny, Melville, Durr, etc.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote