Chris Evert Thread - Page 47 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #691
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Yes, as I said, my comment was just about on & off-court demeanor, temperament & classiness. Obviously their games have not much in comon; Roger is athletic and fluid and unpredictable; pure grace. But he handles himself like Chris, and that is part of what she admires in him.

interesting to compare her never say die fight to rafa; had never thought of it but its true. i guess he does it in the brutus from popeye, one-brow raised, arm thrusting way... but the sheer willfullness is certainly similar!

(though i would say up until the last 18 months, federer did also have those qualities...he has gone off similarly to the way chris did in 79 when she got married.)
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #692
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
You are so right about all you say. The womens game so needs another Chrissie. And yes she is so funny, witty and droll.
And that match you mention remains to this day the worst day of my tennis viewing life. I was ten and had just watched Barker beat Jaeger to pull the score back to 2-3 USA. When Wade went 5-1 and 40-15 up I was laughing like mad. Till half an hour later........... Evert is a remarkable champion. Ask Virginia Wade
I used to love watching the WC, especially when it was held over here. Us Brits always made such a big thing of it But I always wanted Chrissie to win her match's, no-matter who she played! Of cours I wanted GB to win overall, but I never wanted Chris to lose!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #693
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
Of course, chrissie would never had stood there like a bauling crying baby, the way he did after Nadal beat him in OZ... but she Is the ice maiden, after all. I am sure she DID feel that way a number of times against Martina during her 83/84 draught.

but like, last week, my friend was over saying she couldnt get into Fed because he showed no emotion. And I said, yeah he just focuses and doesnt try to entertain the crowd at all...and people said chris was boring, the exact same way. But i....was never bored.
I never "got" the Chrissie not showing emotion label. To me, she shows tons of emotion, and has from the very beginning. Albeit in a quiet way. Same as Graf. Look at Chrissie's face during play -- or even when she's resting.

It's all there. Grimaces when she's confused or not playing well, the quiet sighs, scrunched nostrils and mouth. The "look" of the snake on a bad call! She just didn't verbalize or do the full body dramatic stuff as Martina or Billie Jean did.

As for Federer -- yeah, he's got all the moves. Chris was a stiffer player, not outrageously fast, but there is not a more beautiful set of shots in the game than an Evert passing shot on the run. Especially on the backhand!

TC showed the 1986 FO final last night, and while I never considered that match great, it does feature some beauty from Evert on those passes, and some nice volley's too. She wasn't "bad" at net, just sometimes not as natural.

About Fed. Yeah, Fed has it all, but the "freak from Majorca" (as Andre calls him) has worked himself into being a little better. I don't agree with those who say that Fed dropped off, I see it as Rafa just being smart and proving himself a little more iron man than Fed.

Which is a GOOD thing for Federer in my opinion. A legend -- certainly anyone who considers themselves the GOAT -- is distinguished with how they react to a serious threat. Will the person rise to the next level to overcome the challenge (as Navratilova did to Evert, and then Evert had to do to compete with Navratilova)?!

For Roger to be like Chris, for me, he'll have to learn to deal with Nadal -- or Murray if he manages it -- who at the moment is better than himself.

Chris suffered some terrible loses to Tracy, and to Martina. Heck, I remember that first loss to Evonne! Yet, she always seemed to push ahead, and promised that she'd do whatever it took to do better next time. Roger could learn a thing or two from Chris in my opinion.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #694
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryfoolisNJ View Post
Chris suffered some terrible loses to Tracy, and to Martina. Heck, I remember that first loss to Evonne! Yet, she always seemed to push ahead, and promised that she'd do whatever it took to do better next time. Roger could learn a thing or two from Chris in my opinion.
This is another thing I think Chrissie and Rafa have in common. If they get beaten, next day, they are back out there, working on ways to improve. Adding little differences to their game, in the hope, that next time, the result might be different.

You guys are so lucky to have the Tennis Channel. It must be fun looking back, and remembering old matches. Sky do a very good tennis coverage overhere, sadly for us British Eurosport, will be covering the French Open, and the less sad about that the better!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM   #695
country flag Evertmad

Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice

The surprising loss in the French Open by the seemingly invincible Rafael Nadal got me thinking about other players who displayed clay court dominance during their careers. Many have enjoyed periods of dominance on the surface, but no tennis player, man or woman, in the modern era of tennis has been more unbeatable on clay than Chris Evert.

Between August 1973 and May 1979, the June Vintage Athlete of the Month won an amazing 125 consecutive matches on clay while losing only seven total sets. After losing a third set tiebreaker to Tracy Austin in the semifinals of the 1979 Italian Open, she rebounded to win her next 72 matches on the surface.

She won seven French Open Championships and three of her six U.S. Open titles came while the tournament was played on clay.

Even though Evert was particularly tough to beat on clay, it wasn’t like she didn’t also display dominance on other surfaces.

Easily the most consistent player in women’s tennis history, Evert won at least one grand slam title in 13 consecutive years. She reached at least the semifinals in each of her first 34 grand slam appearances and 52 times out of 56 total appearances in the four biggest tournaments in tennis.

While her total of 18 total grand slam singles titles is tied for fourth in women’s tennis history, it is likely she would have won considerably more titles had she participated in all four majors every year during her career.

Instead, Evert participated in the Australian Open only six times (winning twice). After winning the French Open in 1974 and 1975, she skipped the tournament for three years before returning to win the title five more times between 1979 and 1986.

Her overall career singles record of 1,309-146 (.900) ranks as the best of any player in professional tennis history.

Others may have done more to champion the cause of equality for women’s tennis, but there is no question that women’s tennis would not have the broad appeal it enjoys today without Evert.

She burst onto the scene as a 16-year old in 1971, making the semifinals of the U.S. Open in her first grand slam tournament. With a pretty smile and wicked two-handed backhand, Evert opened the game of women’s tennis to a new generation of fans.

Tennis in the mid-1970s enjoyed an American revival as teenage girls flocked to courts across the country because they wanted to learn to play like Chris Evert. Teenage boys naturally followed because they wanted to be where the girls were.

Her impact on the tennis world was soon obvious as teenage girls including Andrea Jaeger, Tracy Austin and Mary Joe Fernandez began popping up on the professional tour.

That Evert was able to maintain her great success for such a long period of time is especially remarkable considering that she grew up right in front of her adoring public.

Her engagement to men’s tennis star Jimmy Connors in 1974 made national headlines, as did their subsequent breakup.

In 1976 Sports Illustrated named the 22-year old Evert as their “Sportswoman of the Year.”

After being romantically linked to a number of high-profile men, in 1979 Evert married British tennis player John Lloyd.

Throughout the 1980s, Evert-Lloyd continued to rank among the top players in women’s tennis. Though Martina Navratilova had eclipsed Evert-Lloyd as the top player in the game, she ranked among the top three players in women’s tennis every year through 1988.

After divorcing John Lloyd in 1987, Evert married two-time Olympic downhill skier Andy Mill in 1988.

In 1989, she retired from the game with 157 career singles titles.

For most of the next two decades, Evert would appear occasionally as a commentator for one of the grand slam championships, but spent most of her time raising her three sons.

In 2006 Evert and Mills divorced and less than two years later she married popular professional golfer Greg Norman. Evert now can occasionally be seen walking the course during Norman’s tournaments.
Evertmad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #696
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
Yes, as I said, my comment was just about on & off-court demeanor, temperament & classiness. Obviously their games have not much in comon; Roger is athletic and fluid and unpredictable; pure grace. But he handles himself like Chris, and that is part of what she admires in him.

interesting to compare her never say die fight to rafa; had never thought of it but its true. i guess he does it in the brutus from popeye, one-brow raised, arm thrusting way... but the sheer willfullness is certainly similar!

(though i would say up until the last 18 months, federer did also have those qualities...he has gone off similarly to the way chris did in 79 when she got married.)
To be honest I think that Evert was always more concentrated on the court than Roger. Although you are right, she did decline after her marriage. Dont see the similarity though as Federer only got married a few weeks ago. He has known Merca for years, whereas it was only a year after meeting John Lloyd that Chris game slipt a bit.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #697
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I used to love watching the WC, especially when it was held over here. Us Brits always made such a big thing of it But I always wanted Chrissie to win her match's, no-matter who she played! Of cours I wanted GB to win overall, but I never wanted Chris to lose!
Oh you traitor- only joking. Mind you with the amazing consistency of Evert you would not have to worry about her loosing too much. Apart from that famous match in 80 with Wade she only lost two other sets- both at Crystal Palace in 76 one to Wade and one to Barker.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #698
country flag iainmac

Quote:
This is another thing I think Chrissie and Rafa have in common. If they get beaten, next day, they are back out there, working on ways to improve. Adding little differences to their game, in the hope, that next time, the result might be different.

You guys are so lucky to have the Tennis Channel. It must be fun looking back, and remembering old matches. Sky do a very good tennis coverage overhere, sadly for us British Eurosport, will be covering the French Open, and the less sad about that the better!
Oh i dont know about that. I think that Jo Durie, Frew McMillan, Mats Wilander, Virginia Wade match up very well with eh Chris Bailey and Barry Cowan. I agrree though that the production can be poor.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #699
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertmad View Post
The surprising loss in the French Open by the seemingly invincible Rafael Nadal got me thinking about other players who displayed clay court dominance during their careers. Many have enjoyed periods of dominance on the surface, but no tennis player, man or woman, in the modern era of tennis has been more unbeatable on clay than Chris Evert.

Between August 1973 and May 1979, the June Vintage Athlete of the Month won an amazing 125 consecutive matches on clay while losing only seven total sets. After losing a third set tiebreaker to Tracy Austin in the semifinals of the 1979 Italian Open, she rebounded to win her next 72 matches on the surface.

She won seven French Open Championships and three of her six U.S. Open titles came while the tournament was played on clay.

Even though Evert was particularly tough to beat on clay, it wasn’t like she didn’t also display dominance on other surfaces.

Easily the most consistent player in women’s tennis history, Evert won at least one grand slam title in 13 consecutive years. She reached at least the semifinals in each of her first 34 grand slam appearances and 52 times out of 56 total appearances in the four biggest tournaments in tennis.

While her total of 18 total grand slam singles titles is tied for fourth in women’s tennis history, it is likely she would have won considerably more titles had she participated in all four majors every year during her career.

Instead, Evert participated in the Australian Open only six times (winning twice). After winning the French Open in 1974 and 1975, she skipped the tournament for three years before returning to win the title five more times between 1979 and 1986.

Her overall career singles record of 1,309-146 (.900) ranks as the best of any player in professional tennis history.

Others may have done more to champion the cause of equality for women’s tennis, but there is no question that women’s tennis would not have the broad appeal it enjoys today without Evert.

She burst onto the scene as a 16-year old in 1971, making the semifinals of the U.S. Open in her first grand slam tournament. With a pretty smile and wicked two-handed backhand, Evert opened the game of women’s tennis to a new generation of fans.

Tennis in the mid-1970s enjoyed an American revival as teenage girls flocked to courts across the country because they wanted to learn to play like Chris Evert. Teenage boys naturally followed because they wanted to be where the girls were.

Her impact on the tennis world was soon obvious as teenage girls including Andrea Jaeger, Tracy Austin and Mary Joe Fernandez began popping up on the professional tour.

That Evert was able to maintain her great success for such a long period of time is especially remarkable considering that she grew up right in front of her adoring public.

Her engagement to men’s tennis star Jimmy Connors in 1974 made national headlines, as did their subsequent breakup.

In 1976 Sports Illustrated named the 22-year old Evert as their “Sportswoman of the Year.”

After being romantically linked to a number of high-profile men, in 1979 Evert married British tennis player John Lloyd.

Throughout the 1980s, Evert-Lloyd continued to rank among the top players in women’s tennis. Though Martina Navratilova had eclipsed Evert-Lloyd as the top player in the game, she ranked among the top three players in women’s tennis every year through 1988.

After divorcing John Lloyd in 1987, Evert married two-time Olympic downhill skier Andy Mill in 1988.

In 1989, she retired from the game with 157 career singles titles.

For most of the next two decades, Evert would appear occasionally as a commentator for one of the grand slam championships, but spent most of her time raising her three sons.

In 2006 Evert and Mills divorced and less than two years later she married popular professional golfer Greg Norman. Evert now can occasionally be seen walking the course during Norman’s tournaments.
One of the legends of all sports not just tennis.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #700
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
Oh i dont know about that. I think that Jo Durie, Frew McMillan, Mats Wilander, Virginia Wade match up very well with eh Chris Bailey and Barry Cowan. I agrree though that the production can be poor.
I don't mind JO Durie, but I'm not to keen on the other 3! Did you catch Game,Set and Mats, in the evening! It was just dreadful, I think they must have spent £1 on production

The ladies final was a huge dissapointment. How I long for a classic Chrissie and Martina match.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #701
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I don't mind JO Durie, but I'm not to keen on the other 3! Did you catch Game,Set and Mats, in the evening! It was just dreadful, I think they must have spent £1 on production

The ladies final was a huge dissapointment. How I long for a classic Chrissie and Martina match.
I just feel a bit of loyalty to Eurosport because at least they provide us with year round tennis coverage. I love your style though- and I think £1 is more than they spent. It was very poor and much as I like her Annabel Croft is not exactly a budding David Frost.
And again the final a dissapointment.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #702
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
Oh you traitor- only joking. Mind you with the amazing consistency of Evert you would not have to worry about her loosing too much. Apart from that famous match in 80 with Wade she only lost two other sets- both at Crystal Palace in 76 one to Wade and one to Barker.
I know, but I still used to worry for her! I remember one year, when she got really cross at Cliff Richard, it must have been, when he was hanging around with Sue Barker. He was tring to whip the crowd up, Chrissie thought it was very disrespectful, and made her feelings known. Cliff had to say sorry next day
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #703
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I know, but I still used to worry for her! I remember one year, when she got really cross at Cliff Richard, it must have been, when he was hanging around with Sue Barker. He was tring to whip the crowd up, Chrissie thought it was very disrespectful, and made her feelings known. Cliff had to say sorry next day
I love Sue Barker but Cliff did make a twat of himself. You will remember how loud the crowd were anyway at the Albert Hall but Cliff went way OTT. And the laugh of it was the Americans had already won the cup when Jo Durie lost to Barbara Potter earlier in the day.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #704
country flag chrissiefan

Quote:
I love Sue Barker but Cliff did make a twat of himself. You will remember how loud the crowd were anyway at the Albert Hall but Cliff went way OTT. And the laugh of it was the Americans had already won the cup when Jo Durie lost to Barbara Potter earlier in the day.
I like Sue too. I know Cliff is a huge tennis fan, and he was probably over-excited, but he ended up looking like a right fool! I bet Chrrise thought he was an idoit Then all those years later, he did that sing-a-long at Wimbledon, I still cringe thinking about it
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #705
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I like Sue too. I know Cliff is a huge tennis fan, and he was probably over-excited, but he ended up looking like a right fool! I bet Chrrise thought he was an idoit Then all those years later, he did that sing-a-long at Wimbledon, I still cringe thinking about it
I think that Chrissie- or Chrossie that day- had high levels of expectation re the support camp for players and their conduct. Remember how dignified Collette and John Lloyd always were? I guess what she would tolerate from fans was not what she wanted to hear from friends of other players. Poor Cliff- I suppose he tried. He always has- my patience that is.