Chris Evert Thread - Page 46 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #676
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryfoolisNJ View Post
Awesome stuff! I'm interested in a couple of the Hello Mags for sure -- although I have some of them already. Will you sell separately???

Please email me if you can directly at OrdinaryfoolisNJ@yahoo.com

Also, I'm looking for the article on Chris that featured her in a rather racy swimsuit - I'll have to post the photo. It's not from the article where she has a group of hot young studs holding her aloft.

That photo was the one featured in a Chris Yahoo group (which I think you are also a member?). I think that photo got that particular Yahoo group relegated to the "adult" section!!!!! LOL I know it's the ONLY Yahoo group that I'm a member of in the adult section!

I always wondered what else was in that magazine to make Yahoo be so agressive against that group! Do you know which article I mean?

Again, a few of the Hello mags really interested me. But, I have to see what I already have.
I've seen a picture of Chrissie in a swim suit, but no way would I describe it as racey! What were these pictures like Who were they for? I can't beleive they were bad enough to be banned!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #677
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk View Post
Chris Evert is IN the new Wii game from EA

So is Navratilova!!

So you can now play multiplayer at home or online Evert v Navratilova matches at Roland Garros and Wimbledon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also each Slam comes with outside courts too, they are actually modelled on the real life ones, so if that rocks your boat its gonna be a great game.

That is if the gameplay holds up, of course....

COME ON CHRISSIE!!!!!!

What clothes will she be wearing???? And what era will they model her hair do on???
OK, I have seen the images of chris, but as they arent being published, i basically cant share them. but i dont think it will hurt to report a couple of things...

i would say the 'era' they chose was right now. LOL -- in that she looks like one of the carbon-copy blonde russians.

she has very serious eyes. she's wearing a barrette to pull her hair back and a blue ribbon, so i'd say they based it on the chris circa 1982.
but not as pretty LOL

but the biggest non-chris trait is that it has a big giant 'nike' check mark ala nadal, across her chest that make all the characters look too much like a 'mcdonalds team' employee. but all in all, i'd say her character faired better than martina's.

Last edited by daze11 : May 13th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #678
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertmad View Post
Great stuff pinapin. I'm interested in some of the plastic folders...how do you want to trade. send me a PM. Also have you seen any photos recently on getty or ap as i do not have access ?Thanks
give me your PM and i'll write you. i have a lot of wonderful stuff and special gift for who buy. about getty: i upload all the pix i found on www.myspace.com/chrisevertfan
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #679
country flag lstsew

lstsew is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is off topic, but I am doing a thesis on Chris and the tennis bracelet. According to Chris Evert Charities, Chris lost her diamond line bracelet during the 1975 U.S. Open. Play was stopped until the bracelet was found and since then it has been known as the tennis bracelet. I have been unable to locate video of the match or magazine or newspaper articles that talk about the event. Can anyone help?
lstsew is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #680
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstsew View Post
I know this is off topic, but I am doing a thesis on Chris and the tennis bracelet. According to Chris Evert Charities, Chris lost her diamond line bracelet during the 1975 U.S. Open. Play was stopped until the bracelet was found and since then it has been known as the tennis bracelet. I have been unable to locate video of the match or magazine or newspaper articles that talk about the event. Can anyone help?
incorrect.

chris lost the bracelet against lori mcneil in the 1987 us open QF; she was winning, up a set & change - then, halted play to find her bracelet, and lori pounced on the moment by taking the match!! the part that is accurate is that it was unprecedented certainly to halt play for some personal attire reason, but lori did allow the search to take place without complaint.

i have alot of chris footage and none of that. reason being, the networks were ignoring the match on tv because chris was expected to roll... then they came in when it appeared a story was brewing and that she was in trouble. so they were all involved in the commentary of this big upset and never even mention the bracelet incident!!! it just was not covered, except in the papers afterward.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #681
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

I remember that story, it must have been a very expensive bracelet!
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #682
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertmad View Post
Great stuff pinapin. I'm interested in some of the plastic folders...how do you want to trade. send me a PM. Also have you seen any photos recently on getty or ap as i do not have access ?Thanks
Please, send me your mail. mine is chrannie54@yahoo.it
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #683
country flag Evertmad

Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice

Seven-time French Open champion Chris Evert, one of the most formidable clay-court players in history, rang up ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford last week for their annual pre-Roland Garros chat. Topics included the Rafael Nadal-Roger Federer rivalry, the state of flux in the women's game and what Evert has learned about golf from watching her husband, Greg Norman. The following are excerpts from their conversation:

Bonnie D. Ford: Chris, you're certainly familiar with having a long, great rivalry hit an interesting tipping point. Is that's what's happened with Nadal and Federer in Grand Slams? Once that momentum gets going, is there a way to stop it?

Chris Evert: It's interesting. With Martina [Navratilova], I dominated the first part of it, she came on strong the second part, then I broke that streak and won the '85 and '86 French Opens, so we were sort of even when we retired. [Editor's note: Each woman won 18 Grand Slam titles; Navratilova finished with a 10-4 edge in their head-to-head Slam finals and had 43 wins to Evert's 37 in their career series.] Anything is possible. The thing that concerns me about Roger is, I just don't know if his best is going to be good enough to beat Nadal. I don't really see him playing out of the box, so to speak; I don't see him changing anything, and that is what must happen if he wants to turn the tide. And also you have the added dimension of Andy Murray emerging, and [Novak] Djokovic, he seems to have gotten it back together.

Ford: I know it's easy to give advice from afar, but do you agree with the speculation that Roger needs a full-time coach at this point?

Evert: I think he's his best coach. I don't think there's anyone better than him out there. Maybe someone to help him with training, fitness, getting stronger. If he can't beat [Nadal], join him. Maybe he needs to get into the gym more. And by the way, he might be doing all this already, I don't know. The fitness level could improve and that will bring along with it quickness and more power. But as far as playing the game and tactics, Roger is the best judge of that. Fitness helps you psychologically, there's no doubt about it. When Martina started cleaning my clock, I said, I at least have to give myself a chance here, and so I went into the gym. Not to try to copy her, but just to be the best I could be and the strongest I could be. I think that's what Roger needs to think about. Now's not the time, but after this year when you have a period of six weeks, two months where you can really train hard.

Ford: In retrospect, what surprises you more -- that Nadal was able to beat Federer at Wimbledon or on hard court in Australia?

Evert: Wimbledon. Roger is such a natural volleyer and Nadal is not. Nadal hits with such topspin that it's not going to be as effective on a grass court where the bounce is lower. His strengths are not as effective on a grass court and his weaknesses are a little more exposed. I'm so impressed with how quickly Nadal has become a grass-court player and adjusted his game. At the same time, I'm a little surprised that Roger, in the last year and a half, two years, I feel, is starting to lose the feeling of closing matches. He's not closing as confidently as he did in the past. Isn't there something about Federer that pulls at your heartstrings? I cry every time he loses a match, and I don't even know the guy. (Laughs) There's something so endearing about him as a person.

Ford: What are your thoughts on Nadal's chances of winning a calendar Slam?

Evert: If he should win the French, then it's a conversation. Then again, if he wins the French and Wimbledon, he's going to be trying to win the U.S. Open to win the Grand Slam, and that's added pressure. If he's had a spectacular season leading up to the U.S. Open, that's eight months in, he's got to start feeling the wear and tear and the mental letdown a little bit. Winning that fourth one would be really tough, I think.

Ford: Moving on to the women's game, since Justine Henin retired, the No. 1 ranking has changed hands eight times among five different players. Two of the women who have held it haven't won a Slam. Do you see the turnover as good for the game, or bad, or indifferent?

Evert: People will turn on the TV if there's a real exciting rivalry. As a spectator, I would much rather watch a Federer-Nadal match than a Dinara Safina-Venus Williams match. When there's history and richness behind a rivalry, that's much more interesting. You don't have a rivalry in the women's game right now. People will turn on the TV to watch Venus play Serena, because you never know what's going to happen. Form gets thrown out the window and you never know which one's going to be better that day. But aside from the Williams sisters, there's no history right now on the women's side.

Ford: The last time Maria Sharapova played in a Grand Slam was last year's Wimbledon. She's trying to come back for the French Open. How much of a hole did her absence leave?

Evert: She was a big presence on the women's tour. She not only has a big game; she has a big personality and a great following. I still maintain that over the last few years, there's been nobody mentally tougher than her. She brings glamour to the game, and history. The game is only better when she's in it.

[+] EnlargeHamish Blair/Getty Images
Kim Clijsters' return will add a much-needed dynamic to the WTA Tour. Ford: On the other hand, Kim Clijsters is coming back.

Evert: She's one of the most well-liked girls on the tour. I was happy she had a baby, but I always thought she retired too young. I felt like she had some more good tennis [left]. Nobody's dominating, nobody's necessarily playing the greatest tennis. It's a good opening and a good opportunity for her to come in.

Ford: Switching sports, I know you know a little more about golf now. Do you see similarities and differences in what it takes to be a great tennis player and a great golfer?

Evert: To be at the top of your profession in any sport, you have to have mental toughness -- focus, patience, the ability to make good decisions under pressure. Where I think golf is different is that you have to beat the field every single week. In tennis you have to beat one person. Or you have to win five matches to win a tournament, and maybe in those five matches you're not playing the person who gives you the most trouble. In tennis you can be down a set and still win a match. In golf, it's harder to bring it back and win after a couple sloppy holes.

Ford: Do you think you would have been a good golfer if you had taken it up when you were young?

Evert: Yes. I don't even hesitate to say that, because it enhances my strengths and minimizes my weaknesses. I wasn't the fastest player on the court, I wasn't the fastest off the mark like Steffi Graf, I wasn't the strongest leg-wise like Martina. It would take away the running and emphasize my focus. I was always really good at concentrating and blocking out everything else. I have good patience, and hopefully I would have pretty good hand-eye coordination. I think I would have been pretty good at it.
Evertmad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #684
country flag chrissiefan

Thanks Evertmad. It sounds like Chrissie is a bit of A Federer fan, I'm a Rafa girl, myself!
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #685
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

[quote=Evertmad;15674849]Seven-time French Open champion Chris Evert, one of the most formidable clay-court players in history, rang up ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford last week for their annual pre-Roland Garros chat. Topics included the Rafael Nadal-Roger Federer rivalry, the state of flux in the women's game and what Evert has learned about golf from watching her husband, Greg Norman. The following are excerpts from their conversation:

Thanks for that posting- it was very insightful and great to read the mind of one of the greatest players of all time.
I have just come back from Madrid and Evert is so right. If Nadal does win the French and Wimbledon, the pressure on him physically would be too much going into the United States Open. I saw his match with Verdasco and Dijokivic and it was the physical side that wore him down before he even finished the first set against Novak. It was simply his greatness and mental strength that got him through. Thus he was exposed against Federer. I dont think Chris is right there though- I feel Federer is inhibited the way she herself was against Navratilova circa 82-84. And that he could turn it round again.
Evert is so correct about the womens game- the Williams and Sharapova are the only links with the great history of the game. Well so is Mauresmo, but she is not likely to crack the top 5 again. Mauresmo had such star quality in Madrid, far more than the others. I do not especially like the way Sharapova plays, but she does bring glamour and genuine interest to the womens game.
Just shows you how intelligent Evert is- the same brilliant analysis that she used to break down her opponents.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #686
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Thanks Evertmad. It sounds like Chrissie is a bit of A Federer fan, I'm a Rafa girl, myself!
Theres not much mystery in that; I think federer is a male chris evert, in terms of his class, his consistency, his calm, and his willigness to fulfill all his responsibilities to the tour without complaint, in terms of off-court appearances and charity availability.

I often am sad that no one in the womens game can be that 'Ultimate Ambassador' for the sport, the way Chris was -- but Federer is the first on either side to be like Chris in that way. (maybe sampras? but he did bore the bageezus outta me) And to be able to be at the top and still so well liked and respected, by fan & player alike.

Of course, chrissie would never had stood there like a bauling crying baby, the way he did after Nadal beat him in OZ... but she Is the ice maiden, after all. I am sure she DID feel that way a number of times against Martina during her 83/84 draught.

but like, last week, my friend was over saying she couldnt get into Fed because he showed no emotion. And I said, yeah he just focuses and doesnt try to entertain the crowd at all...and people said chris was boring, the exact same way. But i....was never bored.

Last edited by daze11 : May 19th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #687
country flag chrissiefan

Mens tennis is so lucky to have the top 4 it has at the moment. Roger might have been a great Ambassador, but so is Rafa. Everyone says what a lovely guy he is, how he shakes every hand, and signs evry piece of paper, that is pushed in front of him.

As for Chrissie, she always looked like a Princess on the court. Off court she was fantastic for the game, a real class act. Womens tennis certainly needs someone like her at the moment. I haven't watched a womens match, in ages, there is just no interest at the moment.

It was very touching at the Aussie Open, when Roger broke down, but Chrissie would never have done that. Hurt she might have been, but show it, in public, never. Cry afterwards, yes,in front of the whole world, not a chance. I always thought, she was very British in that way, a stiff upper lip, and all that!
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #688
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
Theres not much mystery in that; I think federer is a male chris evert, in terms of his class, his consistency, his calm, and his willigness to fulfill all his responsibilities to the tour without complaint, in terms of off-court appearances and charity availability.

I often am sad that no one in the womens game can be that 'Ultimate Ambassador' for the sport, the way Chris was -- but Federer is the first on either side to be like Chris in that way. (maybe sampras? but he did bore the bageezus outta me) And to be able to be at the top and still so well liked and respected, by fan & player alike.

Of course, chrissie would never had stood there like a bauling crying baby, the way he did after Nadal beat him in OZ... but she Is the ice maiden, after all. I am sure she DID feel that way a number of times against Martina during her 83/84 draught.

but like, last week, my friend was over saying she couldnt get into Fed because he showed no emotion. And I said, yeah he just focuses and doesnt try to entertain the crowd at all...and people said chris was boring, the exact same way. But i....was never bored.
Yes and no to that daze. I think that Evert was very different from Federer actually. Yes he does take his responsibilites seriously and in some ways is a welcome throw back to an earlier era.
But he is so different- he has all the shots in the book and is a genius. Chris is one of the greats of all time but her game did not have the spectacular effect of Federer.
Also I feel she is more like Nadal actually. That tenacity, the unbelievable ability to retrieve and construct brilliant rallies. The reading of the game, the never say die attitude.
I feel Evert admires Federer for the very reason that his game is so different from hers. It is like she was with her peers- when did you ever hear her go on about how great the baseliners were- Austin, Jaeger, Richey, Ruzici, Barker etc. She did't really. She was in awe of Goolagong, King, Navratilova and Mandlikova. And the reason was they were so different from her.
And as for people finding her and Federer boring- get a life are the words that come to mind. Don't know how anyone could find either boring.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #689
country flag chrissiefan

I agree with a lot of what you say iainmac. Chrissie and Rafa, have many things in common. I love Rafa's never say die attitude, and Chrissie was just the same. She never gave you a free point, if you wanted to beat her, you would have to fight for it. I remember once, during the Wightman Cup, at the Royla Albert Hall. Virgina Wade was serving for the match,(5-2 up second set), the crowd were gong mad, waving flags, stamping their feet, Virgina and GB, had match point, and who won that point and the match, Chrissie did. She pulled herself back, point after point, if she heard the yelling crowd, she never let on, total focus, ice cool. and pure class.

Rafa has had to learn to win all surfaces and so did Chris. Her game. along with Rafa's didn't suit grass, but the great's find a way to win, they just never give up.

Off court Roger like Chrissie, have given alot back to tennis. Some people find Roger rather bland. and I'm afraid I'm one of them. Chrissie on the other hand, is fun.witty. warm, and has plenty to say. Womens tennis really needs another Chris at the moment, sadly there seems to be no-one out there,who can or wants to do the job.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #690
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
I agree with a lot of what you say iainmac. Chrissie and Rafa, have many things in common. I love Rafa's never say die attitude, and Chrissie was just the same. She never gave you a free point, if you wanted to beat her, you would have to fight for it. I remember once, during the Wightman Cup, at the Royla Albert Hall. Virgina Wade was serving for the match,(5-2 up second set), the crowd were gong mad, waving flags, stamping their feet, Virgina and GB, had match point, and who won that point and the match, Chrissie did. She pulled herself back, point after point, if she heard the yelling crowd, she never let on, total focus, ice cool. and pure class.

Rafa has had to learn to win all surfaces and so did Chris. Her game. along with Rafa's didn't suit grass, but the great's find a way to win, they just never give up.

Off court Roger like Chrissie, have given alot back to tennis. Some people find Roger rather bland. and I'm afraid I'm one of them. Chrissie on the other hand, is fun.witty. warm, and has plenty to say. Womens tennis really needs another Chris at the moment, sadly there seems to be no-one out there,who can or wants to do the job.
You are so right about all you say. The womens game so needs another Chrissie. And yes she is so funny, witty and droll.
And that match you mention remains to this day the worst day of my tennis viewing life. I was ten and had just watched Barker beat Jaeger to pull the score back to 2-3 USA. When Wade went 5-1 and 40-15 up I was laughing like mad. Till half an hour later........... Evert is a remarkable champion. Ask Virginia Wade