Chris Evert Thread - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #46
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Martina could have played singles in 1995 after Lindsay withdrew but Billie Jean asked Amy Frazier to play and Amy won both her matches so all was good. Well, not quite. Amy swore she'd never return to play Fed Cup again after that experience. I'm not sure what went wrong that week. Martina & Gigi won their doubles match.

Yup, I remember reading the Sports Illustrated article. By Frank DeFord, I believe, very nice. "Newsweek" also had an article on the return but that was before the conclusion of the event. It was a special time for Martina, made even more special b/c Pam, Chris & Zina were there with her. Poor Hana - it was the week of her wedding and she got no attention!

But Martina's memories from this trip weren't all sugar and spice. It was too much of a media circus for her to enjoy the visit. Her 1990 return was more memorable.

And since this is Chris' thread, I must say that Chris was very classy in playing that week despite having a bad knee. She played on b/c of Martina and it was very nice to see them all win in the end.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2002, 01:36 AM   #47
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Frank Deford is such a good writer. I've never gotten around to reading his book about his young daughter.

Hana's wedding! Her husband didn't even bother coming to the reception, and she played ping pong! It's very ironic that the week the greatest Czech star ever was returning, the 2nd best ever was staging her own "backdoor defection". Rather smart on her part.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2002, 03:41 AM   #48
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
I never understood why she waited so long to defect. By 1986 she was already keeping all her prize money, got to live wherever she wanted to, travel whenever/wherever, do whatever. I don't know what her reasons for leaving were. And even after she applied for Australian citizenship in 1987, she played Federation Cup for Czechoslovakia that year b/c she wanted to play at the Seoul Olympics - as a Czechoslovak! Ultimately, she thought better of it. She did represent Australia in two Hopman Cups and retired shortly thereafter. And then afterwards, she went back to become Fed Cup coach for the Czech Republic. And now she lives in the USA.
Old May 12th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #49
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Zummi, why don't you post what you know about Hana in her thread? Looks like you're the Hana expert.
Old May 12th, 2002, 06:16 PM   #50
Zummi

Sorry about that. Forgot this was a Chris Evert thread. I will shut up for now.
Old May 12th, 2002, 11:20 PM   #51
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Me bad too Zummi. What I meant though was the Hana thread could use your knowledge. You seem to know more than the rest of us about what she's been doing the past few years.

I'm going to try and find an account of Chrissie's first big win, the epic Eisel match from the 1971 US Open.
Old May 13th, 2002, 09:55 AM   #52
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
I could give an account of the match from Chrissie's biography but who knows what you'll find Rollo so I won't steal your thunder!!!

Yes, I heard Frazier did fall out with BJK, but I recall that maybe the year after??? Jennifer Capriati was making a mini-comeback and she was included in the team against Austria, and was beaten fairly badly by Weisner and Paulus. Luckily Mary Jo and the US doubles team scrapped in the doubles. Apparently the likes of Raymond and Frazier weren't happy to be omitted for Jen as they were both ranked higher. How the tables have turned now!!!!
Tho maybe Frazier didn't play because of the previous rift with BJK????

Yes, Rollo the 1988 was a pretty poor turnout with bad timing and all in Australia. The fact that Anne Minter blew a 61 31 break point lead over Claudia Kodhe-Kilsch which would have levelled the series between Aus vs. Ger to 1-1 (Aussies would've been fav's in the doubles) to eventually lose 16 64 63 made things worse!!!
Tho the likes of Sukova, Zvereva, Hanika, CKK, Lindqvist, McNeil, Potter and the young ASV, Novotna, Martinez did show, it was a pretty lacklustre event. OOOpppps Helen Kelesi was there screaming her lungs believing she had millions of terrible calls against her, losing to Sukova 16 16, was my only highlight.

The previous Fed Cup in Aust back in the late 70's was pretty good tho. Chris, Tracy, Billie and Rosie matched in the final against Wendy, Kerry Reid, Dianne Fromholtz on grass. Reid played brilliantly to beat Tracy, whereas Chris easily beat Wendy (no surprise). The doubles if I recall went to 64 in the third, winners the USA with BJK and Chris beating the highlt credentialled team and Wimbledon champs Reid and Turnbull. Rollo if you could find some articles under your bed about this one, I would be most appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:15 PM   #53
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Please post awat from Evert's book louloubelle What i've got is from the newspapers, so it will be a good contrast. King has a great bit on the 71 Open in her book. She claimed it was the biggest match ever for women's tennis, bigger than her Riggs match.
Old May 14th, 2002, 01:01 PM   #54
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Just found out that the Eisel match is 3 pages long!!!! So I'll do it patches!!!!

Triple maqtch point. Mary Ann Eisel had the situation under control serving at 64 65 40-0. On a slick grass court where the balls seldom bounce twice there seemed no way I could win. Against the 4th ranked player in the US, whose serve and volley reputation had been establsihed on faster surfaces, my hopes were even slimmer.
Mary Ann delivered a flat 1st serve to my backhand. In my mind the match was over. We were already shaking hands at the net and I wondered how the 10,233 spectators at the West Side Tennis Club would treat a 2nd rnd loser in the 1971 US Open. Would they see me as cute, sad, tired? Would they appreciate my efforts.
Old May 14th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #55
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks louloubelle
These reports are from the New Yorks Times by Neil Amdur. I've edited out some parts.

The 1971 US open was Evert's first slam

Youth had its fling yesterday in the US Open, from Jimy Connors, a 19yr old protegee of Pancho Gonzales, to Chris Evert, the 16 year-old little Miss Sunshine.

Miss Evert made her debut at Forest Hills, and no coming-out party ever produced a more attractive tennis debutante, both on and off the court. Tournament officials, eager to find fresh faces as substitutes (many top men boycotted in 1971) scheduled Miss Evert for the stadium against Edda Buding.

"When I found out that I was playing my first match in the stadium", the pert 5 foot 4 inch Miss Evert said, "I was petrified".

But 42 minutes after her first serve, Miss evert registered an impressive 6-1 6-0 victory..that produced prolonged applause from the crowd of 9,102. For as long as she lasts in this 12 day tournament..Miss Evert has the hearts of those in the gallery.

She went to the net only once in th efirst set, but put away a high backhand volley. "I don't have the confidence to go all the way" she said, when asked of her chances here. "..Playing on grass is still new to me. If it was on clay I would have a better chance".
Old May 14th, 2002, 07:49 PM   #56
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The match that made her famous. LOL at the girls crying when thet thought she would lose

Chris Evert Upsets Miss Eisel. fights off 6 match Points

September 4, 1971

Chris Evert said she couldn't believe it, and neither could a stunned crowd of 10, 233 yesterday.
Trailing by 0-40 at 5-6 in the second set against one of America's better grass court players, Mary Ann Eisel, the 16 year old Miss Evert cameback for an incredible 4-6 7-6 6-1 victory.

The dram aof that match overshadowed other second round activity on the 4th day of the $160,000 US open championships.

Miss Evert has not lost a singles match in over 12 tournaments. But when Miss Eisle broke service in the second set and reached triple match point, the streak and the fairy tale that had surrounded Chris sie's performance here seemed at an end.

"I figured I might as well lose hitting out", the Floridian said, still as dazed by the dramatic turnaround as many of the spectators.

Coming back form 0-40 deficit in any game is difficult enough.
It is even more difficult at triple match point, and almost impossible when one is returning serve on grass.

But Miss evert, as she has proved before, responds to pesssure with deeper concentration. What she lacks at the moment-the big serve, vollet and overhead-she compensates for in tactics.

The shot she hit at 0-40, a backhand return of serve down the line-indicated her willingness to gamble for the big point, the trademark of great champions.

When Miss Eisel reached 40-0 at 6-5, little girls in pigtails around portal #7 began crying, their dreams for this year shattered
Miss Evert delivered by by anwering Miss Eisel's best flat serve with a backhand placement down the line. Then she slapped another service return winner, this time off the forehand. The two placemants and the raucous apllause form the stands affected Miss Eisel's concentration, and she doubled faulted for the 6th time. Now it was deuce, and the silence in the stadium was unbelievable.

A backhand error gave her match point #4. But Miss Evert drove
another service return at her shoetops. Deuce again.

When Evert netted a return on the 4th deuace of the game, Miss Eisel had her 5th match point. She tried this time to win the match form the baseline, and the strategy backfired as she drove a backhand out.

On the 6th match point Miss Eisel had an open court, but lifted a forehand volley wide into the alley in an anxious attempt to end the agony.
Miss evert broke service with a forehand crosscourt passing shot that shattered the silence.

The sound of the racquet was all that could be heard during the tiebreaker. After evert won the tiebreak at 5-1, the match was for all practical purposes over.
Old May 16th, 2002, 08:59 AM   #57
louloubelle

2nd Installment

Mary Ann's serve bounced a foot inside the service line. But instead of skidding like a pellet, the ball suddenley came up ten times larger, a huge balloon waiting to be popped. mary Ann rushed to the net eager for one finishing shot, so ia aimed a two-handed backhand at a spot down the line. The angle of the return eluded her outstretched racquet and landed several feet inside the baseline. 40-15
The crowd broke the silence inside the stadium with applause that reverberated off the concrete. i walked to the duece court. mary Ann had served to my backhand and I had hit a winner. Would she go wide to the forehand and move in? Would it even make any difference at double match point?
Old May 20th, 2002, 01:05 PM   #58
louloubelle

3rd installment

Her first sewrve spun into the net. I moved in several steps. The 2nd serve was short almost tentative and begged to be put away. With more than enough time to prepare my racquet, I whipped a forehand cross-court placement. 40-30. the roar of the crowd this time was almost deafening. I had never played in front of so many people.

The noise of the crowd shook Mary Ann's confidence. She double faulted for the 6th time. The score was duece, and the vibrationjs from the crowd were inside me. I could feel their energy. Was Mary Ann choking after having played so well? I couldn't believe I still had a chance. Just hit out, I told myself: if you break back to 6-6 all, fine, if you lose at least you went donw with your best shots. Impatient I overhit a backhand and gave Mary Ann a 4th match point. She attacked but I drove another angled forehand low at her feet. Duece again......
Old May 20th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #59
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks Louloubelle
You have a good knack for stopping right at the "cliffhanger"
Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:24 AM   #60
louloubelle

4th Installment

Mary Ann returned to serve and volley and reached match point for a 6th time. But her serves were falling shorter and the 1st volleys became tentative. She lifted a forehand volley wide then pushed a backhand volley into the net at duece. I broke serve with a forehand crosscourt passing shot that brought the crowd to it's feet. After 6 match points, I had a new crisis 'sudden death'.

Sudden death catered to the player who was the staediest and luckiest at the moment, not necessarily the best. This was a 9 point tiebreak and at 4 all, the next point was decisive.

The sound of the ball against the racquet was all you could hear in the stadium. I served and won the first two points. Mary Ann closed to 1-2 but then pushed a backhand half-volley into the net. She had coverted that shot with uncanny touch and accuracy earlier. I drove a backhand pass down the line for 4-1 and then outrallied her on set point. After having written myself off, out match was even.