Chris Evert Thread - Page 39 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #571
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Goodness! I did not realise that the photo was colour washed - I thought it was a photo of Chrissie and Vitas Gerulaitis from the 1970s! You've gotta admit it, you look extremely similar together. Chrissie looks just like she did in the late 1970s.
i was thinking the same thing ... not about vitas, but about how MUCH she looked like her old self circa 1976-78... its kinda beautiful, isnt it? i am not sure i would say she looked as much her 70s face in person, but maybe i brought out that aspect in her for the aura of the photo.

and then i WAS wearing a deeply 70s-out blazer & shirt collar. you should have seen the slight bell-buttom cuff on the pants... I cant believe I didnt have a picture taken of the full outfit.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #572
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

waiting for more from Daze () other pix
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/pe...Tennis_-_Day_3
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #573
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Thinking about it, there is a look of Vitas about you daze. With the picture being colour washed, it could pass for an old seventies snap! How comes. Chrissie doesn't seem to age, any tips going, I'm younger than her, but I just know I look older!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #574
country flag Evertmad

Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice

The event was fantastic. The first day was almost washed out but after a couple of hours delay the first match got underway. Daze....I was the person who won the best seat in the house..got to sit on court while Chrissie & Chevy played first. Matches this year were played in good humour. Chrissie only played one match on the first day. Greg was practicing out the back and she came to watch him and give him some encouragement. On the sunday she played twice. Lost both times including her & Billy losing to Greg & Justin Gimelstob ( think Greg plays just as good as Gavin). At one point they were both talking to Jon Lovitz who was umpiring as if they were having a domestic...finally she asked Greg what is the one thing I always tell you...he looked puzzled and then she said"Move your feet..!!" She then was playing a point and threw her racquet to try and hit it...Greg walked round the net and went up to her and said "don't throw your racquest..." It was very good and it was taped for the special in January which I am sure will be very funny.She then lost with Alan Thicke to Mary Pierce & Gavin Rossdale who really played well and hates to lose. Throughout the whole event they looked very happy, her parents were there and her brother John, plus her kids were there on Sunday. Great event and they raised a million dollars....The pictures look great and I will try to upload some that I took but will now be away for two weeks cruising & playing golf in Naples...looking forward to Daze's more serious report....Daze did spot you briefly sat in the Chris Evert charities seats on the Sunday but missed saying Hi...Thanks for finding the great photos pinapin...she looks amazing and so very very happy....
Evertmad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #575
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like a great event,thanks for the report, glad you had such a great time. So Greg is quite a good player then, Chrissie's coaching must be playing off! What special in January, I've not heard about that. I agree that Chrissie looks amazing, she and Greg seem to be very happy.

Hope you have a great time on your hols Evertmad, hope the weather stays fine, and that you travel safely.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #576
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

ok here is the article - sorry in a rush, will check back later!!

EVERT CHARITY SHINES AFTER SHOWERS

Even during her prime, Chris Evert was known as an occasional slow starter, losing the opening set before revving up to produce the 6-1 6-0 avalanche fans were hoping for. This year’s Chris Evert/Raymond James Pro Celebrity Tennis Classic took on a similar pattern, as heavy winds haunted the Halloween Opening Ceremony and a smattering of rain put a damper on Saturday morning’s matches before the sky opened up to let the Florida sunshine in.

The analogy to Evert’s playing career is fitting for this charity event operating in its 19th year, which now matches the span of years Chrissie played in her illustrious hall of fame tennis career. Since retiring, her commitment to her charity has garnered $16.8 million for providing education, services, and support programs for South Florida’s drug addicted mothers and their families. This year, despite a crippled economy, efforts brought in another $1 million for the cause.

“If you think the hard financial times are pressing for you,” Evert implored auction attendees at Saturday night’s gala, “this is a section of the population that will be hit much harder, and who need your support that much more.”

While the cause is serious, the tennis is not. With pros like Jim Courier, Jana Novotna, Mary Pierce, and Justin Gimelstob playing alongside Evert’s celebrity friends like pop singer Gavin Rossdale, comedic legends Chevy Chase, Billy Crystal, and Jon Lovitz, as well as Olympic medalist Dara Torres, classic TV (‘Growing Pains’) star Alan Thicke, and the ever engaging Bud Collins, there is always more than enough personality on court to match the tennis dynamics.

In the first match, after a baby screamed with particular urgency from the back of the crowd, Jon Lovitz announced from the umpire’s chair, “What you were hearing there was a baby that just found out Chevy Chase is its father.”

In reality, Chevy Chase’s stint in the umpire chair was hilarious with his constant references to faux-reflections on his film career, as well as quips like “I just know if this court were water, Dara Torres would have reached that ball,” and “You know Jon, if not for the net, you’d really be on today.” The consistency of zingers and occasional off-color comments kept not only the crowd chuckling, but seemed to keep Mary Pierce (who flew all the way from France to be part of the event) in particularly amused by this cast of kooky and somewhat crass commentators. “People, it’s really windy down there,” Chevy told the packed crowds, “My nipples itch.”

At the start of the match featuring Evert and Pierce, Mary Pierce said mid-rally, “I’m having such a flashback to my childhood right now, it’s like a dream come true.” Evert continued hitting, replying, “Don’t try to butter me up” while Pierce insisted, “No, it’s true. I can’t believe this is happening.”

Then the two grand slam champions dispensed with the usual pace-protected rallies of Pro Am events, and shushed the celebrities out of the point while they hit increasingly purposeful forehands, full of speed and precision from corner to corner. Evert’s ball was as crisp and clean as many who saw her playing regularly on TV would remember, and as unforced error was never high in her tennis vocabulary, it was Pierce that finally netted a forehand.

Wed this year to golfer Greg Norman, a new chapter is indeed beginning for America’s favorite baseliner, and the match between Gimelstob and Norman against Evert and Billy Crystal was surely the Marquee Match for many in the stands. The romance in the air was not lost an anybody, and when one point produced tennis grunts that became more like bedroom grunts, which crescendoed to the point of sounding more like bathroom grunting, Lovitz said, “Any more of that, and we’re going to need toilet paper.”

As play intensified, one rally found Norman literally having to swing from his knees, with Evert slamming a ball down the middle of the court for a winner. “Ladies and gentleman, Chris Evert brings her husband to his knees,” Lovitz said. “I think we know how this marriage is going to work!”

Norman kept a sense of humor throughout and, all feelings of competition aside, clearly reveled in his wife’s vast arsenal of skills on display. It is much to admire after all: For pure flawless accuracy and consistency, Evert was the best player, male or female, in the game’s history.

In another entertaining exchange, Justin Gimelstob was telling the crowd that his very minor athletic accomplishments were looked upon with great pride in the Jewish community. Without missing a beat, Billy Crystal interjected, “As the other Jewish man on the court, I’d like to say it’s hot and it’s humid… Can we get on with it?”

All the action was definitely not confined to the courts. The Brazilian themed ‘Carnival’ on the Delray Tennis Center grounds included the world-famous dancing Lipizzaner Stallions, Discover Motorcycling Showcase, circus performers, Brazilian dancers in full costume, as well as pony rides and face-painting for kids. During the Gala, guests were treated to hobnobbing with celebrities, fine food, and a performance of classic hits by the Commodores.

There were additional celebrity opportunities offsite as well, with the evening’s auctions including back stage meet & greets with Oprah Winfrey, Regis & Kelly, Jay Leno (in his last season with The Tonight Show), Ellen DeGeneres, Dr. Phil and tennis champ Maria Sharapova, plus extensive VIP packages with the Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana and Billy Ray Cyrus. Travel packages, a number of excellent golf and tennis series tickets, and a super-rare exclusive Playboy Mansion Tour were among the prizes that helped bolster this year’s charity to the $1 million mark. From start to finish, it was a great success for Chris Evert and the South Florida community.

Highlights of the event will be shown on ESPN2 in January.

Last edited by daze11 : Nov 6th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #577
country flag chrissiefan

Fantastic article. It sounds like a brilliant weekend. I don't think I get ESPN2, I'm off to check! It's late here now, so I will be back tomorrow. Thanks for the article.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #578
country flag daze11

i left out little details, like that chris didnt win ANY of her matches. i dont think in celebrity-tennis, it is very much about results. she always took the weakest player as her partner, etc... and the match where gimbelstob took advantage of his 'current (relatively) young male player' status to make what he called an "alpha male" match... was not gracious and almost hit billy crystals head off, which did not go unnoticed. He didnt play nice... and chris made a comment about his tiny ankles to try & put him in line, but he just didnt register how inappropriate he was being. she finally said, "you have to give me notice if you're going to bomb in a serve like that" ...So I just left all that stuff out, no one wants to read downer stuff about an otherwise fluffy-happy event.

its up: http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fulls...newsid=6622045
here are more pix: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/t...6.photogallery

Last edited by daze11 : Nov 6th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #579
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

:kis s:
thank you DAZE!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #580
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
EVERT CHARITY SHINES AFTER SHOWERS
I'll bet that headline gave a certain serve-and-volley player fond memories, eh Pam?
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #581
country flag chrissiefan

Thanks for all the great work daze, it's very much appreciated. I thought it was a given in the pro celeb events, the pro's played nice. Why did Gimbelstob, behave like that, he could have hurt someone. How can you have a alpha male match, when you are playing against a lady anyway(even if she is one of the best players ever). I'm surprised Greg didn't get a bit miffed!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #582
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Thanks for all the great work daze, it's very much appreciated. I thought it was a given in the pro celeb events, the pro's played nice. Why did Gimbelstob, behave like that, he could have hurt someone. How can you have a alpha male match, when you are playing against a lady anyway(even if she is one of the best players ever). I'm surprised Greg didn't get a bit miffed!
some comments he made i will just not even repeat as i dont want them to get out any further than his mouth, but greg was definitely trying to behave in his first on-court experience at the event, and justin wasnt being intentionally mean-spirited but UNintentionally clueless, IMO.

He kept taunting chevy chase and calling him washed up, and telling lovitz he wasnt any good (but not with humor, just lampooning someone that was an easy target), and basically if anyone even joked they were going to ace him -- as chris did at 1 point (which was obviously a joke; she couldnt ace her fellow GIRL players back in her prime) he made great efforts to hit as hard as possible & win points at all costs. Chris had to hit at greg a few times to forcibly take some points, since folks were voting for her & bily crytsal... she even had to say "dont be mad" to greg at one point because he felt picked on. But it was all being generated from gimelstob's ego, kind of taking over the event as if he was the host instead of chris... he made fun of her grunt almost throughout the match, and i have to say, i almost screamed 'no more making fun of chris'... she is a legend and he is a mediocrity. the grunt of hers is beautiful and is part of the release in her strokes. What i mentioned in the article was the ONE funny part about the grunting.

there were many folks i talked to afterward who said they felt very uncomfotable sitting there (squirming, one person said) with these comments he was making, like when someone asked if gimelstob was german or what the background of the name was and he said, "I dont even LIKE germans!" ... sorry to say, he came off like a dumb american.

Last edited by daze11 : Nov 6th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #583
country flag chrissiefan

Why is it there is always one idoit, that tries to spoil things for everyone else,Gimelstob sounds like a real jerk. Poor Billy Crystal, the first time he comes to Chrisse's pro celeb event, and he has to play against that. Chrrise said she had to talk Greg into playing, and then she is forced to hit at him just to win some points. I take it Gimelstob won't be asked back next year. I hear Greg is quite a good player, is that true.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #584
pinapin54

c'mon daze...some more "inside Scoop"? what aboyt the 31 oct reception, for example? and .....more! SMACK!!!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #585
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54 View Post
c'mon daze...some more "inside Scoop"? what aboyt the 31 oct reception, for example? and .....more! SMACK!!!
not really, i think i reported on everything. bud collins was walking around trying to sell his book, which at $40, became almost a little in-joke at some points, but i guess books can cost that much these days. (??)

another faux pas was that they were playing gavin rossdale's new song a little louder and a little longer than the usual warm-up time, and whoever was in the chair started complaining that they would NEVER turn that song off & people applauded (a little bit, not a lot of applause) but i dont think they caught that it was his song & he was promoting it. But i actually dont think it goes over well to try to shove stuff like that down peoples throats, no matter how well meaning... 'good song, glad its doing well, but today, play tennis'

the world famous Lipizzaner stallions got scared when a band started playing right next to them, when they were standing near one of the outside tents, and they took such a dump that it took some 30 minutes to clean...

alex & nicky both looked terrific, they're maturing of course. Nicky is actually very friendly. But the one who really gives you the "I'm Mr Social Butterfly" vibe is Colton, but 'the Colt' stayed home in his stable this year. I actually get the impression he doesnt like big crowds & all the fuss.

wish there was more to tell, but the article was LONG!! so i basically covered it all in there.