Chris Evert Thread - Page 19 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #271
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I guess line calls come and go, but there are a handful of situations where the calls are so incredibly (and obviously) bad, that it really gets one's dander up- like the Serena Williams / Jennifer Capriati USO match a few years back. I can't remember ever being so angry over a line call as I was when they called that Serena backhand down the line winner out.
Nothing against Serena, but being a Capriati fan, I loved it. Not very sportsmanlike of me, I know, but at least I'm honest about it, you know. It's like, fuck, a win is a win, you know.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #272
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
i was just sent a really rare pix of chrissie walking to the court with francoise durr in the 1973 french semi! enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evert.JPG (35.8 KB, 96 views)
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #273
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all
this is a more recent pic: indian wells 2006

pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #274
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54

Elena and Masha may be two of the most attractive ladies on the tour today, but the cutest girl on this photo is the one in the middle.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #275
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapin54

I really like Chrissie with long hair. She looks great.
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #276
country flag MamZelleSansGêne

MamZelleSansGêne is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool All Evert Double Titles !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmi18
I really like Chrissie with long hair. She looks great.
Hello !

I seek all chris Evert double tiltles since 1970 !

Please, Rollo, give me all titles won by chris, the surface and the date place.

I kiss you.

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:50 PM   #277
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Amazing Evert! I was doing some research today and just wondered how many times Chris lost in the 1st round of an event. Though I'm trusting the unreliable WTA website, the first first round loss I found was the Virginia Slims of Boston in March of '76 to Dianne Fromholtz, a lefty who often gave her trouble. Oddly enough, this was the first time I've seen in Chris' career where she even lost before the quarterfinals of an event. Has there ever been another player who upon beginning her career, immediately went to the top echelon without even a couple of losses to lower ranked players?

Chris' Career Early Round Defeats
'76 1R VS Boston Fromholtz 26 62 63
'79 1R Avon Florida Greer Stevens 62 63
'83 3R Wimbledon Kathy Jordan 61 76
'85 1R VS Champs Kathy Jordan 62 06 62
'87 3R VS Florida Kate Gompert 36 64 62
'87 1R VS Champs Sylvia Hanika 64 64
'88 3R French Open Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 61 76
'88 3R Olympics Raffaella Reggi 26 64 61
'89 2R Indian Wells Hana Mandlikova 36 76 60
'89 2R European Open Barbara Paulus 64 61
'89 2R Canadian Open Anne Minter 64 75
Total: 11 Career Early Round Losses

Note: Fromholtz also beat Evert in her first match at the '77 Colgate Series Championships, but Evert beat Wade, Navratilova and King to win the event.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM   #278
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Hi, preacherfan: Check out ChrisEvert.net. It's truly comprehensive. Alas, Chrissie did suffer the rare early round losses:

When she was still just 15 and before she shocked Margaret Court, she lost the following first-round matches in 1970:
Haverford: 1R lost to Kerry Melville-Reid 4-6, 4-6
South Orange: 1R lost to Peachy Bartkowicz 2-6, 1-6

In early 1971, she suffered a shocking first-round loss on clay to Denise Carter in the Virginia Slims of Fort Lauderdale, no less: 2-6, 7-6, 4-6. This has to rank as one of the most surprising results in the game!

From that point on, however, there was no loss before the quarterfinals until that surprise to Fromholtz in Boston in 1976. As you noted, there probably was no other player who suffered fewer upset losses in her career than Chris, especially when she was coming up. From the time she truly emerged at Forest Hills in 1971, her consistency and brilliance were remarkable.

She's the true queen of the game in my book!
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM   #279
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I can think of one more:
83 2R Tokyo Queens Lisa Bonder 75 46 64

Such near-immunity to early losses (from the age of 18 to 30, she suffered just four!!) is unmatched in modern tennis and yet another example of Chris' consistency. Also if you look at the names of her adversaries, most were former, future or current top 10 players.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #280
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
I call her the preservation champions because she seemed to resemble champions of the past like Helen Wills, Molla Mallory, Maureen Connolly, and Pauline Betz. She revolutionized the two-hander.
trivfun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #281
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Look at ten of the best players in the world and Chris Evert's record in her first five matches with each player. In every instance but one (Guess who? Nancy Richey), she won at least 3 of the five. Casals, Durr and Masthoff went 0-5 vs. Evert. Goolagong won 1 and the rest 2. Richey was 5-0... amazing!

Another interesting fact, Evert never trailed in her h2h with any of these players other than Richey whom she overtook 6-5 by Richey's retirement.

Amazing stuff: She beat Wade 61 61 in their first encounter. In their 3rd match, she defeated King in '72 (#1 in world) 61 60. As a 15 year old, she beat Court 76 76 in Margaret's Slam year.

Again, no modern player has ever been so ready to step on the court and compete from day one on the tour. Can you imagine a junior coming out and beating Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova and the rest from day one? Navratilova didn't. Graf didn't. Hingis didn't. Venus didn't. Probably Seles, Serena and Austin were the closest, but they still lost their shares of matches before rising to the top.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #282
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Bump up for this thread
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #283
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
Look at ten of the best players in the world and Chris Evert's record in her first five matches with each player. In every instance but one (Guess who? Nancy Richey), she won at least 3 of the five. Casals, Durr and Masthoff went 0-5 vs. Evert. Goolagong won 1 and the rest 2. Richey was 5-0... amazing!

Another interesting fact, Evert never trailed in her h2h with any of these players other than Richey whom she overtook 6-5 by Richey's retirement.

Amazing stuff: She beat Wade 61 61 in their first encounter. In their 3rd match, she defeated King in '72 (#1 in world) 61 60. As a 15 year old, she beat Court 76 76 in Margaret's Slam year.

Again, no modern player has ever been so ready to step on the court and compete from day one on the tour. Can you imagine a junior coming out and beating Mauresmo, Henin, Sharapova and the rest from day one? Navratilova didn't. Graf didn't. Hingis didn't. Venus didn't. Probably Seles, Serena and Austin were the closest, but they still lost their shares of matches before rising to the top.

A better way to put Chris's career in perspective is this. Would we have the Russians, Kim Clijsters, Tracy Austin, Monica Seles, Williams sisters, Martina Hingis, and Lindsay Davenport without Chris? Because of the two-hander
that she brought to the game.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #284
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post

As amazing as all of that really is, it's also accurate to give props to her father having the amazing foresight to have molded and guided his daughter (when everyone else was playing the Hopman attacking game) at such an early age by perfecting that precision baseline style of play. Her game came out of the blocks with such shocking precision, as well as a virtually un-readable two-handed backhand that none of the top players were used to seeing, or were prepared to counter. Richey had a one-handed backhand and a baseline viciousness probably equal to Evert's which explains her giving Chris so much trouble, but all of the rest of the top players were either all-court or net rushers. It also bears mentioning that the win over King in 72 was on Florida clay. A look at their first five encounters on grass paints a decidedly different picture. Just a few thoughts, none of which to diminish the greatness of how that little catholic school-girl from Ft. Lauderdale came storming out of the blocks- it's amazing!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #285
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
As amazing as all of that really is, it's also accurate to give props to her father having the amazing foresight to have molded and guided his daughter (when everyone else was playing the Hopman attacking game) at such an early age by perfecting that precision baseline style of play. Her game came out of the blocks with such shocking precision, as well as a virtually un-readable two-handed backhand that none of the top players were used to seeing, or were prepared to counter. Richey had a one-handed backhand and a baseline viciousness probably equal to Evert's which explains her giving Chris so much trouble, but all of the rest of the top players were either all-court or net rushers. It also bears mentioning that the win over King in 72 was on Florida clay. A look at their first five encounters on grass paints a decidedly different picture. Just a few thoughts, none of which to diminish the greatness of how that little catholic school-girl from Ft. Lauderdale came storming out of the blocks- it's amazing!

I would say in sport you haven't seen it since LeBron James.