Chris Evert Thread - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #256
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
March 1974. Dallas Quarters: Evert d. Hunt 6-0 6-7 6-3.

With the crowd cheering against her (and a drunk yelling insulting remarks)
Chris looks like her goose is cooked after losing a tiebreak. She goes to the backstop for a little cry, collects herself, and goes on to win.

I was wrong about them meeting 3 times in 1974-it's 4. Evert beat Hunt 7-5 6-1 at Eastbourne.

Their Wimby match went 2 hours 40 minutes before being called for darkness. Some dramatic highlights: leading at 7-6 Chris "desperately lunged at a backhand streaming bu her and scraped it just over the net as Miss Hunt crashhed into the net-cord judges chair in trying to reach the ball. Set point for Miss Evert now. Shaken, Miss Hunt netted a shot.

The match had caught fire. Sometimes men's tennis at Wimbledon pales by comparison with women's. In long, surging rallies the two women were using every inch of the court."

Hunt grabbed set two with a smasg, an ace, then an error by Evert. Chris went ahead 5-3 in the decider but Hunt kept coming in and hitting winning overheads. At 9-9 the referee Mike Gibson cam eon court and called it due to darkness. The women leave to a standing ovation.

The next day the Ice Dolly bundled Hunt out in 7 minutes
Lesley still in the Hunt for Evert's scalp at Forest Hills

Evert has a novel experience-a US Open crowd is actually rooting against her.
In the quarters she's serving to Hunt at 4-5 40-30 when a spectator yells "double fault!" on her second serve. Thinking a linesman had made the call, Chris slaps her return into the net. After she finds out the linesman signalled "good" Chris complained to the chair, while the "crowd got on her, calling her a "bad sport" and other things "[guess the NYT thought the "other things" unprintable! ]

For the second time in 1974 Chris shed a few tears on court (does Lesley Hunt somehow have this power over opponents?) by the backstop. Later she said "That really upset me, and I had to walk around a bit to compose myself.
I'm not used to crowds being against me-maybe Jimmy is-but I'm not. I guess Forest Hills really spoiled me 3 years ago. Now i can understand what my opponents felt then. I'm going throught he same thing."

BTW-Evert lost to appeal [after the tournament referee came out on court and ruled against her] Hunt was ahead 4-1 in the tiebreak, and Chris was, in her own words nervous. "I'm always nervous playing Lesley, because she nearly always beats me."

Lesley "Even though I needed only point to win the set, I felt like I was going to throw up."

Hunt obligingly hands Chris 3 straight errors and Chris wins the sudden death point with a two handed backhand volley.

Cool hand Chris swatted down the Hunt lass once again.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 11th, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #257
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Wonderful posting Rollo; I recall Chris mentioning tears on Court vs. Hunt in her autobio (stated she tried to hide them from the crowd) due to certain rabid anti-Evert fans.

Love Lesley's quote about champagne bottles; great stuff.
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #258
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
...ok, how about virginia wade's 1974 quote to the press, "I haven't the foggiest notion of how to beat Chris Evert."
I much prefer Virginia's analogy of the Chris Evert game from a few years later: "boring an unimaginative".

Seriously, Virginia Wade is one of those players who could beat anybody on any given day, except maybe herself, and Chris Evert has always been the absolute best at holding up a mirror for her opponent to be able to see themselves.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #259
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I much prefer Virginia's analogy of the Chris Evert game from a few years later: "boring an unimaginative".

Seriously, Virginia Wade is one of those players who could beat anybody on any given day, except maybe herself, and Chris Evert has always been the absolute best at holding up a mirror for her opponent to be able to see themselves.
That's very well said alfa. Chris knew her opponents well and was very good at getting them into situations where they had to overcome their own weaknesses to win. Did anyone ever use more tools at her disposal to win a tennis match?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #260
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
if you had been beaten that badly for that long as chris trumped wade, you'd find any excuse for why you couldn't make an impression too. but wade became the biggest card carying fan of them all when her insecurities subsided. "She's such a great player, she's always been #1 in my book" was what Virginia said at the 1980 us open. Dear girl had finally seen that her inability to compete with evert wasn't coming from chris being "unimaginative" but quite the opposite.
Quote:
i agree with hanafanGA, thats a great way to look at it, alfa. i remember when steffi beat chris for the first time, bud collins' interpretation of the moment was that she was "scaling the great psychological wall of christine marie evert"...once she scaled it, she must have hurled it cuz that wall was never there for her again!! i would say from their strange later meetings that steffi had grabbed the mirror and it was chris that fought her own perceptions of her weaknesses, as much as she was playing graf herself!

Last edited by daze11 : Jan 20th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #261

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
...i remember when steffi beat chris for the first time, bud collins' interpretation of the moment was that she was "scaling the great psychological wall of christine marie evert"...once she scaled it, she must have hurled it cuz that wall was never there for her again!! i would say from their strange later meetings that steffi had grabbed the mirror and it was chris that fought her own perceptions of her weaknesses, as much as she was playing graf herself!
The word that immediatly comes to mind when someone mentions Chris Evert to me is benchmark. Her game, though not as flashy or aggressive as some, was for a good solid 20 years (before the oversized snowshoes took hold) the model instructors and fans alike used to mould their strokes and games with, and she posed on the follow-through on both forehand and backhand just long enough to allow the beginner to see how it's done. Graf couldn't stand still long enough for anyone to even get a good picture of her follow-through!

I agree, though, the last few matches after Steffi had turned the tables on Chris, the odd apparition of Chris Evert having a somewhat worried look on her face was really weird to see.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #262

Well kids, I joined a gym about a month ago, and have been going regularly and working out in the early mornings. The other day, I actually brought my tennis bag and hit a few against the wall in the racquetball court early in the morning. Talk about good grass-court bounce practice! Then this morning after a workout, I was over by the coat rack in the corner, and something made me look up. There, up on top of the lockers, was the edge of a wooden tennis racquet peeping out. I reached up and took it down, and it was a Wilson Chris Evert Autograph, in pretty much mint condition. The leather grip had slipped and separated quite a few years ago, but the frame itself had what looked to be the original strings, and it was straight as a ruler! I left it there, on the odd chance that it actually belonged to someone, but judging from the dust and dirt up there (of course, Alfa had to get up on a step stool to inspect the situation) and all over the racquet, my guess is someone left it there years ago, and forgot it was there. So what would YOU do? I can't really go around all day long asking everyone who comes in if the racquet belongs to them. Much as I'd like to spend the entire day in the men's locker room, it ain't in the cards. Taking it up to the front desk won't do any good either- no one up there would have a clue.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #263
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Well kids, I joined a gym about a month ago, and have been going regularly and working out in the early mornings. The other day, I actually brought my tennis bag and hit a few against the wall in the racquetball court early in the morning. Talk about good grass-court bounce practice! Then this morning after a workout, I was over by the coat rack in the corner, and something made me look up. There, up on top of the lockers, was the edge of a wooden tennis racquet peeping out. I reached up and took it down, and it was a Wilson Chris Evert Autograph, in pretty much mint condition. The leather grip had slipped and separated quite a few years ago, but the frame itself had what looked to be the original strings, and it was straight as a ruler! I left it there, on the odd chance that it actually belonged to someone, but judging from the dust and dirt up there (of course, Alfa had to get up on a step stool to inspect the situation) and all over the racquet, my guess is someone left it there years ago, and forgot it was there. So what would YOU do? I can't really go around all day long asking everyone who comes in if the racquet belongs to them. Much as I'd like to spend the entire day in the men's locker room, it ain't in the cards. Taking it up to the front desk won't do any good either- no one up there would have a clue.
As a proud owner of more than 1 evert wilson wood, i can assure you ANYONE who CARES enough to DESERVE to own one, would NEVER let it out of their sight...much less get dusty and abandoned.

Take it. It was asking you to care for it.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #264

Quote:
As a proud owner of more than 1 evert wilson wood, i can assure you ANYONE who CARES enough to DESERVE to own one, would NEVER let it out of their sight...much less get dusty and abandoned.

Take it. It was asking you to care for it.
Thanks. My sentiments exactly. I guess I just needed someone to give me permission. I've been hunting around the locker room for other tennis players (sometimes in the most compromising positions, but I'm thorough ) for other tennis players, but haven't found anything but racquetball players. So, next weekend I'm going to borrow a new friend's racquet and learn to play. He's a beginner too, so I'll have someone that will make be not look like such a beginner. Maybe I could use the wood racquet when I play them and really throw them for a loop!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #265
country flag daze11

nice one!

P.S. i've seen them together in this moment, but not at this good angle.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #266

A quick update on the Wilson- I have since noticed it missing a couple of times, and then it's back, so someone actually is using it, probably hitting in one of the racquetball courts. I also noticed there's a really old pair of sneakers on top of the coat rack in the same spot all the time, so it looks like the racquet wasn't made for alfa. Judging by the age of the sneakers, it just may be Jimmy Evert sneaking into our local YMCA chapter and planting the bait. At any rate, it's great to see someone is actually using it- it's in mint condition.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #267
country flag daze11

oh goodness, cant that jimmy evert be STOPPED?!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #268

You know, daze- I've been re-watching that 1977 Wade/Evert match lately, and you know how much I admire Virginia, having been lucky enough to be able to meet her and spend some time chatting with her when she was here a while ago, but it's not the great tennis match that I once thought it was. Funny how when you like a particular player, you tend to just watch what that player is doing when they are playing well, and not focus on their opponent on the day. The other night I focused on Chris play during that match, and not only did she get some horrendous line calls all over the court, she missed passing shots and double faulted an inordinant amount of times. Centre Court Nerves?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #269
country flag daze11

Quote:
You know, daze- I've been re-watching that 1977 Wade/Evert match lately, and you know how much I admire Virginia, having been lucky enough to be able to meet her and spend some time chatting with her when she was here a while ago, but it's not the great tennis match that I once thought it was. Funny how when you like a particular player, you tend to just watch what that player is doing when they are playing well, and not focus on their opponent on the day. The other night I focused on Chris play during that match, and not only did she get some horrendous line calls all over the court, she missed passing shots and double faulted an inordinant amount of times. Centre Court Nerves?
i too love virginia, so who wants to take away from her lifetime's "big win" but yeah, chris played awful. chris said that she felt "ganged up on" by the crowd (and the linecalls probably added to feeling ganged up on) and in that instance, she didnt feel motivated enough to find the adrenaline to put herself back on track & pull it out.

interestingly, wade played chris pretty tough in the 77 World team tennis season, but that wimby match happens to not be an example of it.

thats also how i feel about the 85 us open semi. hana MAY have really outplayed martina in the final, but the semi was entirely decided by chris. hana WAS capable of beating her at that time, but the 85 uso semi is not an example of that, either. i never saw chris play worse and still win. but hana supporters most often see that as hana at her best. hana was much more brilliant in the 86 slims semi.

then i was disappointed in chris' 6-0 6-4 win over martina in the 88 houston final. martina really did not play well at ALL. and in fact, i think martina dragged chris' level down a bit! if martina played poorly & chris really well, that match would have been 6-0 6-0 but chris played only ok...which shows you how off martina was! in fact, chris played much sharper than her win in houston when she lost to martina later in the year in the wimbledon semi.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #270

Quote:
i too love virginia, so who wants to take away from her lifetime's "big win" but yeah, chris played awful. chris said that she felt "ganged up on" by the crowd (and the linecalls probably added to feeling ganged up on) and in that instance, she didnt feel motivated enough to find the adrenaline to put herself back on track & pull it out.

interestingly, wade played chris pretty tough in the 77 World team tennis season, but that wimby match happens to not be an example of it.

thats also how i feel about the 85 us open semi. hana MAY have really outplayed martina in the final, but the semi was entirely decided by chris. hana WAS capable of beating her at that time, but the 85 uso semi is not an example of that, either. i never saw chris play worse and still win. but hana supporters most often see that as hana at her best. hana was much more brilliant in the 86 slims semi.

then i was disappointed in chris' 6-0 6-4 win over martina in the 88 houston final. martina really did not play well at ALL. and in fact, i think martina dragged chris' level down a bit! if martina played poorly & chris really well, that match would have been 6-0 6-0 but chris played only ok...which shows you how off martina was! in fact, chris played much sharper than her win in houston when she lost to martina later in the year in the wimbledon semi.
The thing that I noticed in the Wade/Evert 77 Wimbledon semi was how many good first serves Chris was getting called out. At one point in the match she just starts looking at the chair with the classic hands on the hips glare, and then another first serve "out", and another and finally she just starts shaking her head and moving on, almost resigned to the fact that anything close is out, and she won't have any say in the matter. It must be an awful feeling when your best is going for close to the lines, and knowing you'll have to play that much farther inside the lines so as not to give the linesmen a shot at you. Bjorn Borg was really good at that- keeping his shots just far enough away from the lines with a high margin for error, and he rarely got bad calls. I guess line calls come and go, but there are a handful of situations where the calls are so incredibly (and obviously) bad, that it really gets one's dander up- like the Serena Williams / Jennifer Capriati USO match a few years back. I can't remember ever being so angry over a line call as I was when they called that Serena backhand down the line winner out.