Chris Evert Thread - Page 17 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #241
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
just a few quick things to share from chris' pro/celeb event...many of you know chris raises money each year to help drug addicted mothers & their families in south florida get a 'second chance' at putting their lives back together. this year they raised a record tying $1.2 million.

for this weekend event, she played doubles with former president bush and beat lindsay davenport and michael s. smith (a recording artist???) by the score of 6-4.

Anyway, there were 2 really funny things. the report from the doubles match was:

Evert joked that she was covering three-fourths of the
court as Bush let her chase down the opponents' lobs and drop shots. "It's
hard work being your partner," said Evert. Chair umpire Bud Collins
responded, "the Secretary of State never complained."


the other thing that made me chuckle was this:

Evert herself made a bid for an auction item: she bought a lunch with
tennis star Anna Kournikova for $10,000 for her three sons, which earned her a high five from her kids during Saturday evening's gala.


Go Chrissie!!

Last edited by daze11 : Jan 11th, 2006 at 04:36 AM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #242
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Anna Kournikova is coming to town this April for an exhibition, and it'll be interesting to see how professional she is with the clinics, etc. I've been going to and participating in these annual events for 10 years now, and Chris still takes the cake for professionalism. In the sponsors' clinic, she made it a point to get to every single one of the 10 courts at the indoor facility and hit with everyone. The only other player I've seen make that kind of effort was Rod Laver, and even he wasn't able to get away from a few of the bigger sponsors long enough to make it to every court. Who knows, maybe Anna will surprise me.

By the way- did Chrissie have to pull Colette chaperone strings for that lunch?
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #243
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Anna Kournikova is coming to town this April for an exhibition, and it'll be interesting to see how professional she is with the clinics, etc. I've been going to and participating in these annual events for 10 years now, and Chris still takes the cake for professionalism. In the sponsors' clinic, she made it a point to get to every single one of the 10 courts at the indoor facility and hit with everyone. The only other player I've seen make that kind of effort was Rod Laver, and even he wasn't able to get away from a few of the bigger sponsors long enough to make it to every court. Who knows, maybe Anna will surprise me.

By the way- did Chrissie have to pull Colette chaperone strings for that lunch?
i was thinking how weird it is that anna k has made this consistent a living by doing the charity tournament circuit....she is a trophyless player! she's not even that pretty--she is pretty but a dime a dozen too. what is it that has created this marketing frenzy? it must be the power of hype to become a self-feeding monster. i wish someone would summon godzilla to take care of that goofball.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #244
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
i was thinking how weird it is that anna k has made this consistent a living by doing the charity tournament circuit....she is a trophyless player! she's not even that pretty--she is pretty but a dime a dozen too. what is it that has created this marketing frenzy? it must be the power of hype to become a self-feeding monster. i wish someone would summon godzilla to take care of that goofball.
While I do think she's beautiful (and would pay a nice piece of change to be in that body for about an hour and a half), you're right, she is a dime a Russian dozen. She's also the spearhead for the imported trophy wife industry. How many guys do you know who brought girls like this over here to America for marriage? I think the worst thing about the whole experience is that it really is trading in human beings, and it's incredibly organized as well.
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #245
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
While I do think she's beautiful (and would pay a nice piece of change to be in that body for about an hour and a half), you're right, she is a dime a Russian dozen. She's also the spearhead for the imported trophy wife industry. How many guys do you know who brought girls like this over here to America for marriage? I think the worst thing about the whole experience is that it really is trading in human beings, and it's incredibly organized as well.

the world is sickening, isnt it.

but we must stay merry!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #246
country flag preacherfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,466
preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
A question for the serious Evert fans. We all know that Evert won her first Wimbledon in 1974 over Olga Morozova. (Thanks to Olga and Kerry Melville for taking out BJK and Evonne). However, this almost didn't happen. Chris' first match against Lesley Hunt was a marathon match that might have been the longest match of Evert's career. From the score, Hunt must've had many chances to win. I'd love a few details on that match. It's rarely discussed, but I'd love to see a match report.
__________________
PreacherFan
preacherfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #247
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan
A question for the serious Evert fans. We all know that Evert won her first Wimbledon in 1974 over Olga Morozova. (Thanks to Olga and Kerry Melville for taking out BJK and Evonne). However, this almost didn't happen. Chris' first match against Lesley Hunt was a marathon match that might have been the longest match of Evert's career. From the score, Hunt must've had many chances to win. I'd love a few details on that match. It's rarely discussed, but I'd love to see a match report.
what i remember about that match is that it got too dark to finish the end of the 3rd set, so they had to stop. then the bbc showed it as a match of the day that evening. chrissie & jimmy were dating, of course, so they watched together, and jimmy told her, "lesley's backhand is WEAK! you have to ATTACK that!" and sure enough, the next day, chris started pounding any short balls into that backhand corner and coming in behind them to increase the pressure, and she closed it out fairly quickly. She said she gives connors an 'assist' on that win!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #248
country flag preacherfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,466
preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Yeah, but 8-6, 5-7, 11-9. She might've won the last game or so easily, but there was nothing easy about that match.
__________________
PreacherFan
preacherfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #249
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan
Yeah, but 8-6, 5-7, 11-9. She might've won the last game or so easily, but there was nothing easy about that match.
oh, she almost lost...it wasnt easy at all, and if connors hadnt watched it with her, she still may have lost! but they only had to finish up the last few games when they came back out, probably at 9-9????
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #250
country flag Santorofan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tallahassee,FL
Posts: 679
Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Yup, it was 9-9 all in the third when the match was halted for darkness. IMO, Connors advice was perfect; Hunt surely didn't see that tactic coming, putting pressure on her to come up with the backhand pass. Still, think Chris could've pulled it out regardless.

Preacherfan, I recall Chris commenting on this specific match in her Tennis Magazine column a few yrs back. Despite what many believe, I think Chris had a fairly decent chance of defeating either Evonne or BJK in Wimby '74 (though likely not both). She wasn't the same player from a year prior, as evidenced in her 104-7 year-end record. Still, the player of the tournament for me was actually Morozova, taking out Billie Jean and then come from behind against Virginia in the semis, certainly a career highlight for the best Soviet player ever.
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #251
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorofan
...Still, the player of the tournament for me was actually Morozova, taking out Billie Jean and then come from behind against Virginia in the semis, certainly a career highlight for the best Soviet player ever.
I think that was the year Virginia should've broken through for her Wimbledon title, and the fact that she didn't for so many years just makes the 1977 triumph that much more special. In truth, that 1977 semi against Chris is probably one of the worst matches from an unforced error perspective I've ever seen Chris play, and at the same time one of the best I've ever seen Virginia play. I wonder how a 1974 Wimbledon final would've played out between these two.
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #252
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I think that was the year Virginia should've broken through for her Wimbledon title, and the fact that she didn't for so many years just makes the 1977 triumph that much more special. In truth, that 1977 semi against Chris is probably one of the worst matches from an unforced error perspective I've ever seen Chris play, and at the same time one of the best I've ever seen Virginia play. I wonder how a 1974 Wimbledon final would've played out between these two.
well, chris actually beat viriginia in the warm up that wimbledon in eastbourne by 7-5 6-4, in the throws of what was to be a 9-match losing streak to chris. So i think her chances weren't so good.

evonne would have been a tougher proposition, as chris didnt really make winning a near-assumption with goolagong until 1975 (Their head to head was 8-8 until this point, but became 18-5 for chris from then on in.) Still, when they met on grass in melbourne at the start of the year, goolagong won in 3...but that was a 'home court' in australia, and the first two sets being 6-7 6-4 show chris could have taken that one in straights.

Billie Jean, I dont think she would have beaten. (i DO think she would have beaten her in 1975, however, had connors not walked in with another woman when chris went ahead 3-0 in the 3rd! ...had to mention that) But then, a tennis tournament isnt about who could beat which players, but who wins enough matches against enough styles to make that final round and THEN win. And in that, I dont think chris is necessarily right to say she was "lucky"...but it is gracious to say so.

Last edited by daze11 : Jan 19th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #253
country flag alfajeffster
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,301
alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
well, chris actually beat viriginia in the warm up that wimbledon in eastbourne by 7-5 6-4, in the throws of what was to be a 9-match losing streak to chris. So i think her chances weren't so good.

evonne would have been a tougher proposition, as chris didnt really make winning a near-assumption with goolagong until 1975 (Their head to head was 8-8 until this point, but became 18-5 for chris from then on in.) Still, when they met on grass in melbourne at the start of the year, goolagong won in 3...but that was a 'home court' in australia, and the first two sets being 6-7 6-4 show chris could have taken that one in straights.

Billie Jean, I dont think she would have beaten. (i DO think she would have beaten her in 1975, however, had connors not walked in with another woman when chris went ahead 3-0 in the 3rd! ...had to mention that) But then, a tennis tournament isnt about who could beat which players, but who wins enough matches against enough styles to make that final round and THEN win. And in that, I dont think chris is necessarily right to say she was "lucky"...but it is gracious to say so.
Eastbourne is Eastbourne, to be blunt (and not disrespectful of a place I've not yet been). Had Chris and Virginia mixed it up on Centre Court prior to 1974? Even if they had, to play Virginia Wade on Centre Court must still be a little rattling, and 7-5,6-4 is a very close score as well. Chris Evert matches are really great for me, as an attacking player, because you get a consistent and almost glaring guage as to how her opponents are playing due to Chris' constancy.
__________________
There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #254
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Had Chris and Virginia mixed it up on Centre Court prior to 1974? Even if they had, to play Virginia Wade on Centre Court must still be a little rattling, and 7-5,6-4 is a very close score as well.


ok, how about virginia wade's 1974 quote to the press, "I haven't the foggiest notion of how to beat Chris Evert."

i think virginia was a bit psyched out against the big ice princess but its just an opinion.

so true about gauging others' playing levels in a match.

(and i agree that wade had more experience in the 'big occasion' at that stage...it was still relatively new to chris, but 74 being the year she & connors won the 'love double' together, i doubt she would have been easily rattled away from that title.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Eastbourne is Eastbourne, to be blunt.
i love my alfajeffster.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #255
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,350
Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Chrissie pooh and Lesley mixed it up on 3 occasions in 1974-with the Aussie pushing the Ice Princess to the melting point every time.

Hunt had to think she'd down Chris America at least ONCE- and she had reason to dislike Chris, as she was an Evert victim in 1971 (4-6 6-3 6-2) during Evert's amazing run at the US Open. Before the match Hunt dreamed the fans were so against her that they were throwing champagne bottles on court (any Freudians want to touch that one?). Afterwards she ran into the lockjer room crying "Maybe I can beat Chris Evert, but I can't 12,00 people at once."

Well, by 1974 Cinderella had lost her shoe, as this time the crowds were solidly anti-Evert:
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios