Chris Evert Thread - Page 158 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 5th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2356
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
Tracy wrote about that in her autobiography and named the guy as Connors, I think due to recent events she chose to not name him.
In that case this makes it less funny. Tracy sounds as if Chris was a slut. "Some guy" sounds like "some random guy"...I'm confused now.
Advertisement

Old Dec 5th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #2357
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
In that case this makes it less funny. Tracy sounds as if Chris was a slut. "Some guy" sounds like "some random guy"...I'm confused now.
Well, Tracy did claim that Chris tried to psyche her out in the locker room by talking about sex all the time, at an age when Tracy was still in pigtails and braces and obviously without experience. She also said that Chris tried to psyche her out on the court at Wimbledon 1977 by wearing a dress with "her boobs falling out"... (the dress did look more appropriate to Studio 54 than Centre Court, I must add). Luckily, those of us familiar with the biography of the Queen of Clay know that she was definitely not a slut. I repeat not (I hope this is not going to take on a life of its own, like the "Pam digs doods" posts, most of them by Pam herself...).

I have to say, I would love to read Tracy's original manuscript and what she really had to say about Chris... and you Pam! She probably glosses over the summer of 1978: "1977 - psyched out by slutty Chrissie wearing a dress with her boobs falling out... 1978 - nothing important happened in tennis.... 1979 - I win the US Open... 1980 - I am crowned number one..."
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2358
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

HAPPY 59TH BIRTHDAY, CHRISTINE MARIE!!

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2359

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #2360

"The Rivals": Evert-Navratilova 0
Published: Nov. 17, 2013
02:03 – Former tennis greats Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova talk about the Tom Brady-Peyton Manning rivalry and compare it to the one they had on the tennis court

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-bro...rt-Navratilova
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2361
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Well, Tracy did claim that Chris tried to psyche her out in the locker room by talking about sex all the time, at an age when Tracy was still in pigtails and braces and obviously without experience. She also said that Chris tried to psyche her out on the court at Wimbledon 1977 by wearing a dress with "her boobs falling out"... (the dress did look more appropriate to Studio 54 than Centre Court, I must add). Luckily, those of us familiar with the biography of the Queen of Clay know that she was definitely not a slut. I repeat not (I hope this is not going to take on a life of its own, like the "Pam digs doods" posts, most of them by Pam herself...).

I have to say, I would love to read Tracy's original manuscript and what she really had to say about Chris... and you Pam! She probably glosses over the summer of 1978: "1977 - psyched out by slutty Chrissie wearing a dress with her boobs falling out... 1978 - nothing important happened in tennis.... 1979 - I win the US Open... 1980 - I am crowned number one..."
I would also like to read Tracy's original manuscript especially because I read Jimmy's book word for word and found nothing in it that hinted much less said that Chris did have an abortion! But I think how Chris has lead her life the "S" word would have to come into play. Don't get me wrong I loved Chris the tennis player who would never have thought about much less actually cheated on the tennis court, but she sure has done a lot of cheating off the court! And this is all very well documented publicly so I'm not just making up some story to try to make Chris look/sound "bad".
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2362
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ved-other.html
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2363
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Mention of Chris Evert's return to form in the 1988 Australian Open

Chris Evert turns back the clock

Seeded third for the championships, Chris Evert was not expected to progress any further than the semi-finals. The American only dropped one set on her way to the last four, where she met her old rival Navratilova. In one last performance for the ages, Evert proved that class is permanent, the Express's headline "Vintage Chris is a corker!" fully alluding to this.

Navratilova was below-par, only making 55% of her first serves, but Evert, executing a number of passing shots and lobs, did not allow the favourite any breathing space. "This was a great victory for me. It meant a lot," said an elated and slightly surprised Evert after her 6-2 7-5 win. She had reached her first grand slam final since 1986 and would now have the daunting task of trying to derail the 18-year-old German juggernaut Steffi Graf. Be afraid, be very afraid.

"I hadn't thought about playing Steffi but I'll have to think about it now, because I haven't found a way to beat her," admitted a refreshingly honest Evert. The final would go as expected, but Evert was not the first, and she definitely wouldn't be the last, who experienced the full force of Graf.

Awesome Graf

The German's route to the final highlighted just how ruthless she was. In her first four matches she lost just 13 games, before crushing defending champion Hana Mandlikova 6-2 6-2 in the quarter-finals, and her compatriot Claudia Kohde-Kilsch in just 45 minutes in the semi-finals. Graf's second round opponent, Janine Thompson, summed up the general feeling of the field when describing her experience at the hands of the German: "We had played only one game when I asked myself 'What the hell am I going to do?'"

It had been almost two years since Evert had beaten Graf and their last four matches had resulted in straight-sets wins for the 18-year-old starlet. So it wasn't all that surprising when the final – played under the closed roof after rain interrupted play after just three games, for a first grand slam final indoors – started to go in Graf's favour. After the rain came the storm for Evert. Graf won eight games and only lost 10 points in the process. At 5-1 down in the second set, Evert looked to be going the way of everyone else.

Perhaps Graf lost concentration with the finishing line in sight, but Evert deserved great credit in fighting back, winning five games in a row before bravely losing the set and the final on a tie break. The manner in which Graf marched to her Australian Open title, demolishing all before her, showed that this was the start of something special. The start of a golden slam year as it would transpire.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/tha...era-grand-slam
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM   #2364
country flag ChrisCologne

ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all ChrisCologne is a name known to all

Hi everyone I just got over Chrissie´s final achievements in 1988 1989 surfing youtube

When I visited wtatour for finding out about further results apart from the Wimbledon and US Open event in 1989, which I knew about, I found out some rather strange facts someone could maybe help me out with:

a) Chrissie reached the final in Australia 1988 and promised to be back 1989 - she didn´t - why?
b) She decided to play Tokyo directly after - one event in Asia only? Was she injured in Australia?
c) Chris did play clay events before the French but skipped the French just to play Wimbledon - why?
d) She did play just one preparation event before the US Open - was the whole season injury-plagued and I forgot about that?
ChrisCologne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #2365
country flag bionic71
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCologne View Post
Hi everyone I just got over Chrissie´s final achievements in 1988 1989 surfing youtube

When I visited wtatour for finding out about further results apart from the Wimbledon and US Open event in 1989, which I knew about, I found out some rather strange facts someone could maybe help me out with:

a) Chrissie reached the final in Australia 1988 and promised to be back 1989 - she didn´t - why?
b) She decided to play Tokyo directly after - one event in Asia only? Was she injured in Australia?
c) Chris did play clay events before the French but skipped the French just to play Wimbledon - why?
d) She did play just one preparation event before the US Open - was the whole season injury-plagued and I forgot about that?
Howdy ChrisCologne...
from memory Evert was battling both a knee and foot injury across the 88/89 seasons.

She had a heel spur injury that hampered her lead up to the 1988 French open . I think she retired from a match at the Italian Open vs Helen Kelesi in the 3rd round. The spur was still an issue at the French where she was obviously hobbled in her early loss to Sanchez Vicario. As far as i know the heel bothered her on and off for the rest of the season and was the reason she decided not to make the trip to Australia in early Jan 89...(not sure why she played the Tokyo Indoor Event early Feb, seems an odd choice as it was a very slick indoor carpet which was not her favoured surface hence an early exit to Mcneil).

There was discussion of a knee issue during this period as well, which makes sense. Nursing the heel spur would have put pressure on her knees as she would have altered her movement and gait trying to play on the injured heel.
She played Geneva prior to the 1989 French Open but obviously felt she wasn't moving well enough to stand a chance and went back to the US for rehab and recovery.

I know she was sick at the 1989 Eastbourne event and withdrew to Reggi with flu or some type of illness. So her prep for Wimbledon was limited..it was a wonder she mananged to get to the SF...just getting over the Golarsa hurdle in the QF. By this stage it was clear she had made the decision to make 1989 her final year on tour and would end the year at the US Open and her final Fed Cup appearances.

Last edited by bionic71 : Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:51 AM.
bionic71 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #2366
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute DollyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
I found that after my post and I was truly shocked because I didn't pick that up in Connor's book at all! If Chris hadn't said anything herself, I wonder how many other people wouldn't have picked up on it either?
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #2367
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyRose View Post
I found that after my post and I was truly shocked because I didn't pick that up in Connor's book at all! If Chris hadn't said anything herself, I wonder how many other people wouldn't have picked up on it either?
It was picked up by the media before Chris ever made a comment on it. It was all over the tabloids during the early Summer. Chris wouldn't have made a public statement had the press not already been running with it.
Old May 24th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #2368
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Really great, refreshing interview with chrissie.
Www.athletesquarterly.com/athletes/chris-evert
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2369
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

And a cool article on clay GOAT
http://m.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/06.../#.U5k29Iu9LCQ
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #2370
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
An awesome article and Chrissie deserves to be at least equal to the greatest ever on clay, if not greater than Nadal himself. I don't care if Nadal has beaten what seems to be better players than what Chrissie did in the French (generations and gender aside) - you can only beat who showed up. Just as Court dominated the Aussie ... Evert dominated the French. A sure sign of greatness
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote