Chris Evert Thread - Page 153 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2281
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Wow, get a load of this!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ationship.html

Tennis legend Jimmy Connors hints in memoir that ex-fiancée Chris Evert got pregnant and had an abortion which ended their relationship

Tennis legend Jimmy Connors strongly hints in his memoir that he and on-court love Chris Evert called off their wedding after she got pregnant and had an abortion.

Connors, who won five U.S. Open Titles, and Evert, who won six, captured the nation's hearts when they dated in the seventies, particularly after they both won the Wimbledon singles in 1974.

It was the same year the-then 22 and 19-year-old were due to get married. But the 60-year-old writes in The Outsider about a situation that arose just weeks before their planned wedding.

'An issue had arisen as a result of youthful passion, and a decision had to be made as a couple. Chrissie called to say she was coming out to LA to take care of the "issue".

'I was perfectly happy to let nature take its course and accept responsibility for what was to come.'

Evert was just 19 at the time and though she was raised as a Catholic, Connors claims it was her idea: 'Chrissie, however, had already made up her mind that the timing was bad and too much was riding on her future. She asked me to handle the details.'

He wrote that his response was: 'Well thanks for letting me know. Since I don’t have any say in the matter, then I guess I am just here to help.'

In his mind, the relationship was over at this point and he realized he was not ready to get married.

'It was a horrible feeling, but I knew it was over. getting married wasn't going to be good for either of us.'

When he told her they were too young and should take a step back, her reply was: 'OK if that's what you think. I've got a match tomorrow. Not a problem.'

And that was it. He said though he loved Evert, he knew both their ambitions would ultimately get in the way of them having a future together.

'It kept going back to the same old question: Can two number ones exist in the same family?' he wrote.

As well as this relationship - and his tennis career - Connors also writes about his struggles with dyslexia, the infidelity that almost ended his marriage with Patti McGuire and a gambling addiction, as well as his on-court battles with some of the biggest names in tennis.

Chris Evert has yet to comment on the allegations.

I have just rebought a copy of the Chrissie biography of 1982, so will need to reread between the lines. I had been planning to post a few excerpts on here, because there are some delicious stabs at the Pinaforned One. Personally, the thing I found hardest to believe in this newspaper article is how bloated Patti Connors is looking now. I would never have recognised her and even now I wonder if there may be a mistake in the caption (perhaps that explains why Jimmy was playing around....)!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2282
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Wow, get a load of this!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ationship.html

Tennis legend Jimmy Connors hints in memoir that ex-fiancée Chris Evert got pregnant and had an abortion which ended their relationship

Tennis legend Jimmy Connors strongly hints in his memoir that he and on-court love Chris Evert called off their wedding after she got pregnant and had an abortion.

Connors, who won five U.S. Open Titles, and Evert, who won six, captured the nation's hearts when they dated in the seventies, particularly after they both won the Wimbledon singles in 1974.

It was the same year the-then 22 and 19-year-old were due to get married. But the 60-year-old writes in The Outsider about a situation that arose just weeks before their planned wedding.

'An issue had arisen as a result of youthful passion, and a decision had to be made as a couple. Chrissie called to say she was coming out to LA to take care of the "issue".

'I was perfectly happy to let nature take its course and accept responsibility for what was to come.'

Evert was just 19 at the time and though she was raised as a Catholic, Connors claims it was her idea: 'Chrissie, however, had already made up her mind that the timing was bad and too much was riding on her future. She asked me to handle the details.'

He wrote that his response was: 'Well thanks for letting me know. Since I don’t have any say in the matter, then I guess I am just here to help.'

In his mind, the relationship was over at this point and he realized he was not ready to get married.

'It was a horrible feeling, but I knew it was over. getting married wasn't going to be good for either of us.'

When he told her they were too young and should take a step back, her reply was: 'OK if that's what you think. I've got a match tomorrow. Not a problem.'

And that was it. He said though he loved Evert, he knew both their ambitions would ultimately get in the way of them having a future together.

'It kept going back to the same old question: Can two number ones exist in the same family?' he wrote.

As well as this relationship - and his tennis career - Connors also writes about his struggles with dyslexia, the infidelity that almost ended his marriage with Patti McGuire and a gambling addiction, as well as his on-court battles with some of the biggest names in tennis.

Chris Evert has yet to comment on the allegations.

I have just rebought a copy of the Chrissie biography of 1982, so will need to reread between the lines. I had been planning to post a few excerpts on here, because there are some delicious stabs at the Pinaforned One. Personally, the thing I found hardest to believe in this newspaper article is how bloated Patti Connors is looking now. I would never have recognised her and even now I wonder if there may be a mistake in the caption (perhaps that explains why Jimmy was playing around....)!
I have a lot of trouble believing this allegation. But what I find more shocking is that why would Connors, now, make such an allegation?!?!

My understanding was that they had remained friends throughout the years. No matter whether the allegation is true or false, why make it? Now?

No matter what, my take on Connors has dropped significantly. And he wasn't that high to begin with!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #2283
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
I have a lot of trouble believing this allegation. But what I find more shocking is that why would Connors, now, make such an allegation?!?!

My understanding was that they had remained friends throughout the years. No matter whether the allegation is true or false, why make it? Now?

No matter what, my take on Connors has dropped significantly. And he wasn't that high to begin with!
I always want to like Jimmy, in part due to his past with Chris, and how he stood by her til the end of her playing days... but this... really, what a jerk.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #2284
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

"In his book, Jimmy Connors has written about a time in our relationship that was very personal and emotionally painful. I am extremely disappointed that he used the book to misrepresent a private matter that took place 40 years ago and made it public, without my knowledge. I hope that everyone can understand that I have no further comment." - Chris Evert.

What a creep to publish something so personal. Disgusting.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2285
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
"In his book, Jimmy Connors has written about a time in our relationship that was very personal and emotionally painful. I am extremely disappointed that he used the book to misrepresent a private matter that took place 40 years ago and made it public, without my knowledge. I hope that everyone can understand that I have no further comment." - Chris Evert.

What a creep to publish something so personal. Disgusting.
And then to lie about the details that surround it, Disgusting Magnified twofold.

well shit, now I have changed my avatar pic...

Last edited by daze11 : May 5th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2286
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I always loved Jimmy Connors. Not just because he was Chrissie's ex but just because he was such an exciting player and fierce "over my death body" warrior. Gamesmanship? Boorish behavior? Calling the umpire a cocksucker? Who cared? Not me, that's for sure, because Jimbo was the man, the people's champ. And if he wasn't, he definitely was my champ. That's what makes all this even more disappointing to me. I could accept him, even like him, in the role of the asshole when it came to trying to win tennis matches, and his all is fair in tennis attitude from a competitive standpoint. But this has nothing to do with trying to turn a match around or trying to get under the skin of an opponent. I had hoped that Jimmy Connors the private man was different from Jimmy Connors the tennis player. Unfortunately I was wrong. I feel sorry for Chris.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2287
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

1) even if this abortion allegation is true, why bring it up nearly 40 years later?

2) he didn't have the common courtesy and decency (if it is true) to get a hold of evert and tell her he was going to put it in his book and what her thoughts were on this? who does that?! i mean she (evert) wasn't some 1 night stand, they were in love and engaged and supposedly had remained good friends for the past decades?

3)now connors is going on tv saying he was ready to be a father! BULL!!!

YEAH, RIGHT!.... 1)22 year old at the time, pathologically selfish about his career and him dating and messing around with scores of women right after he and evert broke up and 2) yeah, it would have been all great FOR HIM THAT IS! evert would have had to give up her career (forever?) and be a stay at home mother or tag along him while HE has HIS career, fame and glory..

connors rifling on agassi ( who i have never personally like either) but isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?...

yeah, like connors EVER EVER EVER GAVE ANYONE RESPECT on the court! did he respect his elders when he was the agassi of the 1970's? NO!...

to think he did that incident with corranado barrazuti at the u.s. open that one year, running on the other side of the net, and with his foot wiping away the ball mark on the clay court before the umpire could double check if the ball was out or not and running back to his side of the court thinking it was funny! CANNOT BELIEVE THAT BARRAZUTI DIDN'T HAUL OFF AND BUST HIM ONE OR THAT AT THE VERY LEAST THE UMPIRE DIDN'T AUTOMATICALLY DEFAULT CONNORS!...

and his whole song and dance about how he and his mother struggled and what not.. yeah,yeah, yeah... GOOD THING HIS MOTHER HAD CONNECTIONS TO THE PANCHOS, GONZALES AND SEGURA AND THE L.A. TENNIS ESTABLISHMENT to get CONNORS out there when he was young and with top notch world class training and advice! gimme a break, how he had to struggle to reach the top! if it wasn't for his mother he would have been utterly at a loss...
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2288
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by laschutz View Post
1) even if this abortion allegation is true, why bring it up nearly 40 years later?
Money. Cold hard cash. It's all about sales. ("Yes, it's sensationalist garbage, but it's guaranteed to sell millions. Because sensationalist garbage is what people want.") People who are upset by it would have their best revenge by not buying the book.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #2289
Double Fault
Team WTAworld

Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all

Whatever respect I had for Connors has now gone out of the window. What a cheap, grubby and downright horrible thing to do.
Double Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #2290
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

I've always loved Chrissie but never liked Jimmy, I always felt he played dirty and unlike a lot of people, despised his grandstanding and "working class hero" and the whole "I'm bustin my tail out here and I'm 39 years old and you're screwin me" bit he would pull especially at the '91 U.S. Open. I can't say I'm surprised by this latest revelation because I would assume he would cut someone as soon as look at them if he had the chance, I'm sure it's no big deal for him to throw his ex fiancee under the bus if it suits his needs, heck, he'd probably sell his own kid into slavery if he could make enough money out of the deal.

For obvious reasons people often link he and Chrissie together personally and in terms of playing styles, but really Jimmy was a lot more akin to Tracy Austin on court, who also struck me as someone who would play dirty and be as nasty and rotten ripe as needed to win. Chrissie always had more integrity on the court and I've always felt that she had much more in common with Borg in that respect (Also the fact that their on-court comportment and dignity belied their sometimes wild and lascivious off-court antics).
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2291
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

well said pam shriver!!!!!!!! i agree with EVERYTHING YOU JUST POSTED! that whole grandstanding of CONNORS was sickening to me then and even now! remember when he looked straight into the camera after a long point at that 91 us open and he said " this is what they came for, this is what they want!" oh please, gimme a small break! you hypocrite showboat!...he hated fans until they kissed his ass, and even then i suspect it was "i'm jimmy connors and your not, i'm above you but i lower myself to give you a autograph" mentality...

and he knew that the new york crowd ( or any crowd don't run to "rag" on new york people!) would and DID eat that SH$T up!...never could stand CONNORS for the things you mentioned and i did in my previous long message post...the general public who don't know tennis and the young tennis generation of fans, don't remember how connors was on the court! a MAJOR manipulator, gamesmanship, VERY FOUL MOUTH, grabbing his crotch and stroking his racket obscenely, etcetera! a spoiled MAMA's BOY in the worst sense! ( it's okay to be a mama's boy in the right way)

last night on rock center 30 telling harry smith.. "i wrote the book how i played my tennis completely honest" and blah, blah, blah... newsflash yeah, it was your life, but YOU WEREN'T THE ONLY ONE IN YOUR LIFE!.. and seemingly didn't care or have a clue as to what he should say in this book.. i'm pretty sure it's called DECENCY!...

from what i gather the book will be hundreds of pages about 1) how he had it so bad and had to struggle to get to the top and everyone hated him and was against him (oh brother!) 2) affairs and gambling 3)ripping on people....did i miss anything?

i'm hoping no one buys that book, especially those of us who are tennis fans and amateur historians of the game for decades now as i consider myself as one...
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2292
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laschutz View Post
well said pam shriver!!!!!!!! i agree with EVERYTHING YOU JUST POSTED! that whole grandstanding of CONNORS was sickening to me then and even now! remember when he looked straight into the camera after a long point at that 91 us open and he said " this is what they came for, this is what they want!" oh please, gimme a small break! you hypocrite showboat!...he hated fans until they kissed his ass, and even then i suspect it was "i'm jimmy connors and your not, i'm above you but i lower myself to give you a autograph" mentality...

and he knew that the new york crowd ( or any crowd don't run to "rag" on new york people!) would and DID eat that SH$T up!...never could stand CONNORS for the things you mentioned and i did in my previous long message post...the general public who don't know tennis and the young tennis generation of fans, don't remember how connors was on the court! a MAJOR manipulator, gamesmanship, VERY FOUL MOUTH, grabbing his crotch and stroking his racket obscenely, etcetera! a spoiled MAMA's BOY in the worst sense! ( it's okay to be a mama's boy in the right way)
Absolutely. And I loved him for all those things. He turned a tennis court into a boxing ring. I don't approve of the insinuations about Chris and the abortion - I find it very low of him actually. But other than that..... My favorite Connors quote was one he made before one of his US Open wins. When asked how he fancied his chances he answered, "well, look at it this way. There are 127 losers here and there's me." What a guy!

While my current favorite male player is Federer who is just about as un-Connors like as it gets, I think there's room for another bad guy at the top. Someone that everyone hates while he puts his middle finger up at them because he knows that he's great and that it doesn't matter what they think about him because there's nothing they can do about his greatness, except be frustrated by it.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2293
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

I feel bad for Chris on a personal level. That was 40 years ago and is now being brought to light without even so much as a forewarning. It would be bad enough if this came from an enemy, but from a lifelong friend. I hope he enjoys the money he will get from this.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2294
Double Fault
Team WTAworld

Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post
I feel bad for Chris on a personal level. That was 40 years ago and is now being brought to light without even so much as a forewarning. It would be bad enough if this came from an enemy, but from a lifelong friend. I hope he enjoys the money he will get from this.
Completely agree.

40 years is a long time, but not long enough. Connors should be ashamed of himself. Chris's kids and her elderly parents will I am sure be very happy to learn about this whole episode from 40 odd years ago.

Classless Connors.
Double Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #2295
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post
With friends like these... Far be it from me to see the good in a situation, all I can say is I am glad they let us know about this ahead of time, because I would have been really mad if I found out after I gave this asshole my money. Now I know to let it sit there and rot even when it reaches the books-by-the-pound bin.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote