Chris Evert Thread - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 11:38 AM   #211
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
This must have been taken in the Jane Fonda-Oliva Newton John "Lets Get Physical" time frame [1981] or soon after-there's no doubt in my mind it's Chissie.

By the hair I'd guess 1983-that's the year she was wearing her hair long and straight with that twisted hair band-very sexy to a young kid like me.

The other give away is her thin frame. In 1981 she was so thin at one point there were rumours of anorexia going about. She added a little weight back but was still thin in 1982-83. I'd be willing to not only bet that's Chris-I'd say you can safely date it to 1981-83.

BTW-have you seen the Evert photo later in her career when she is on top of a motorcycle-I have a signed photo and treasure it!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM   #212
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Nice profile on Evert:

http://www.tennis.com/Progame/fullst...=&iCategoryID=
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #213
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
for those who were not around to expeience it, i'd still the say the best thread of evert info was a remarkably long thread in (ironically) GM a while back: its an amazing read on more info & stats than you'd ever want to ingest about evert, and still will find yourself crying out for more.

It's here:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...2&page=3&pp=40
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #214
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Daze,

I just want to say that I've had a(nother) Chrissie fan stay with me for the past week and during that time we've watched several matches featuring La Evert, one of which was that semi between Chris and Tracy at the US. I remember saying that the first time I watched it I found it a bit tedious but just wanted you to know that I've now changed my view totally. It really is an excellent exposé of Chrissie's craft. Even in those first few games, she's missing only by millimetres and playing herself in surely and steadily no matter what is happening to the score. It really is remarkable to see how many more options she had at her disposal (or chose to use) than Tracy did and how completely she dictated the play. By the end, she's like a cat playing with a dead mouse.

I know some feel that Tracy could have been a challenger to C & M during the early-mid 80s but for her injuries (which are not surprising that she got it when you compare the jerkiness of her motion with that of Chris which was so smooth) but her game was so two-dimensional in comparison to Chrissie's at that point. The department where she may have had an edge was power but my God was that serve bad or what?

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #215
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Daze,

I just want to say that I've had a(nother) Chrissie fan stay with me for the past week and during that time we've watched several matches featuring La Evert, one of which was that semi between Chris and Tracy at the US. I remember saying that the first time I watched it I found it a bit tedious but just wanted you to know that I've now changed my view totally. It really is an excellent exposé of Chrissie's craft. Even in those first few games, she's missing only by millimetres and playing herself in surely and steadily no matter what is happening to the score. It really is remarkable to see how many more options she had at her disposal (or chose to use) than Tracy did and how completely she dictated the play. By the end, she's like a cat playing with a dead mouse.

I know some feel that Tracy could have been a challenger to C & M during the early-mid 80s but for her injuries (which are not surprising that she got it when you compare the jerkiness of her motion with that of Chris which was so smooth) but her game was so two-dimensional in comparison to Chrissie's at that point. The department where she may have had an edge was power but my God was that serve bad or what?
well, dont feel bad about your first impression--the first time i saw it i was not sure how great it was or not either, just that i was glad to see it. But with review, i too am amazed at how dynamic that baseline play was, and as one person in the match-memories area of the evert.net site described the match as 'godzilla looking over which part of the city it wanted to destroy next' or something along those lines.

i have also seen this regarding tracy's jerky motion and how it may have effected her longtime through injury. someone said to me last week, 'chris was so calm under pressure but do you think she was as calm as tracy?' and i said, 'calm is not what won tracy her matches. she constantly blows into her hand and is totally hyped up; more like an evert on some very strong stimulant.' and her strokes had that hyper-tension feel to them. chris was always very fluid in comparison. she also atributes that to her own longevity; not as much a matter of equipment etc., but of good footwork and always being prepared to hit a shot evenly and in step; it took less of a tol on the body. But no one ever backed me up on tracy's strange tight contortions theory as contributing to her injuries...to me, watching her, it LOOKS like she's going to have a nervous system issue!

thanks for just writing me a note on the evert thread, by the way, knowing i would zone in on it by nature without needing to be notified. hahaha...

hey, was that evert fan, by any chance, a certain very handsome fellow with a smooth accent?

Last edited by daze11 : Nov 25th, 2004 at 02:34 AM.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:37 AM   #216
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
well, dont feel bad about your first impression--the first time i saw it i was not sure how great it was or not either, just that i was glad to see it. But with review, i too am amazed at how dynamic that baseline play was, and as one person in the match-memories area of the evert.net site described the match as 'godzilla looking over which part of the city it wanted to destroy next' or something along those lines.

i have also seen this regarding tracy's jerky motion and how it may have effected her longtime through injury. someone said to me last week, 'chris was so calm under pressure but do you think she was as calm as tracy?' and i said, 'calm is not what won tracy her matches. she constantly blows into her hand and is totally hyped up; more like an evert on some very strong stimulant.' and her strokes had that hyper-tension feel to them. chris was always very fluid in comparison. she also atributes that to her own longevity; not as much a matter of equipment etc., but of good footwork and always being prepared to hit a shot evenly and in step; it took less of a tol on the body. But no one ever backed me up on tracy's strange tight contortions theory as contributing to her injuries...to me, watching her, it LOOKS like she's going to have a nervous system issue!

thanks for just writing me a note on the evert thread, by the way, knowing i would zone in on it by nature without needing to be notified. hahaha...

hey, was that evert fan, by any chance, a certain very handsome fellow with a smooth accent?

No, it wasn't HIM! Why a smooth accent?
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM   #217
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmi18
No, it wasn't HIM! Why a smooth accent?
anything french/belgium to me is smooth... and desireable.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:28 AM   #218
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
anything french/belgium to me is smooth... and desireable.

no minsundersanding, I am French/French, from the South.........
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM   #219
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
As far south as Algeria, if my memory of Madmoiselle Durr serves...
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:59 PM   #220
country flag daze11

Quote:
ah, the south...closer to spain! even HOTTER...and smoother.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #221
country flag jeanmi18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Hands down the open era double-bagel queen is

CHRIS EVERT.

Just a quick check of Tennis corner came up with these 6-0 6-0s

in slams

74 Aussie Szeman
76 Wimby Coe
76 US Coles
77 US Whytcross
79 US Riedel
80 Paris Fyanch
80 US Sands
81 Wimby Pasquale
82 Paris Forood
86 US Marsikova

That's 10 Double-bagels in grand slams

Evert had a bagel every year she played after 1976 except for 1983 and her last year on tour, 1989-and she came darn close to one then. She probably had bagels in all her years before 76 too, but tenniscorner records for then are poor.

Number of double bagles by year.

By year

74-1
76-2
77-3
78-1
79-2
80-3
81-6 (She was hungry in 81 )
82-4
83-None
84-3
85-2
86-2
87-2
88-1
89-none

That's AT LEAST 32 6-0 6-0 matches. It takes consistency to win 6-0 6-0, and Chrissie had it in spades. Bow down to the Queen of the double bagel!

P.S. Before I forget-Chrissie may be the ONLY open era #1 to double bagel TWO other women who reached #1 . Evert got martina love and love at Amelia in 81 and Austin 6-0 6-0 at the Toyota master in 82.

Hi, in fact there were 5 DB in 74: K Szeman at the Australian Open, Halle Sparre-Viragh first round of Indianapolis, Gail Chanfreau Indianapolis final, Laurie Tenney (Toronto QFl, ) K. Pigeon (1st r Denver)

8 in 73: Brinker, Kyomura, Tuero (twice), Tenney, Bostrom, Krantzcke,
Rossow

1 in 72: Kaligis
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #222
country flag daze11

Quote:
Hi, in fact there were 5 DB in 74: K Szeman at the Australian Open, Halle Sparre-Viragh first round of Indianapolis, Gail Chanfreau Indianapolis final, Laurie Tenney (Toronto QFl, ) K. Pigeon (1st r Denver)

8 in 73: Brinker, Kyomura, Tuero (twice), Tenney, Bostrom, Krantzcke,
Rossow

1 in 72: Kaligis
tennis corner had very incomplete numbers for chris, which i for one have emailed them about more than once. i think she has like 940 wins according to them, when of course she passed the 1000 wins mark in 1984. i say to tennis corner.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #223
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
P.S. Before I forget-Chrissie may be the ONLY open era #1 to double bagel TWO other women who reached #1 . Evert got martina love and love at Amelia in 81 and Austin 6-0 6-0 at the Toyota master in 82.
and very close to some other number one players...in '79 at the uso, she lost the first game to BJK and then won the next 12, 6-1 6-0 (though i guess she had that same score in 1972 also, but not 12 consecutive games), and close-calls with monica seles in '89 6-0 6-2 (though she wasnt yet number 1, so that doesnt count), and 6-1 6-1 against goolagong twice in 1975 (hilton head & amelia).
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #224
country flag jeanmi18

Quote:
and very close to some other number one players...in '79 at the uso, she lost the first game to BJK and then won the next 12, 6-1 6-0 (though i guess she had that same score in 1972 also, but not 12 consecutive games), and close-calls with monica seles in '89 6-0 6-2 (though she wasnt yet number 1, so that doesnt count), and 6-1 6-1 against goolagong twice in 1975 (hilton head & amelia).

On a close related topic, I tried to remember the number of times that Chris won twelve games in a row: come to my mind apart from all the double bagels and quasi-double bagels involving double-bagelling after losing the first set: Vermaak 83 Palm Beach, Maleeva 86 LA, Gildemeister Houston 86, Krantzcke St Petersburg 74.

Sue Barker US Open 76 4 r/ won the first game and .....

Bonnie Gadusek QF US Open 82: won the first set and the first game....

btw, Andy and I went to the Roland-Garros museum this week-end, they have a selection of matches for different players that you can watch on a computer screen (but not record unfortunately :fiery): We watched the second set of the 80 Evert-Ruzici final. They also have a large library with all the Tennis de france, covering in particular the 70's and 80's with tournament results. I am thinking of getting the results of all the tournaments that Chrissie played in her career (i.e., all players) as from the QF onwards, (GS excepted since they're already on the threads.)

We also had quite a laugh at watching Chris' being interviewed in 2001 and not remembering a lot about previous victories and quite inaccurate about the facts: 'I think I was seeded 3 at the French in 73 [WRONG] and led Court 5-3 in the third [WRONG]' 'Who did I play against in 74? Don't tell me....[HAD TO BE TOLD] really, was it Olga again?'. However, one thing she remembers quite well was that passing down the line that gave her the match in 85 against Martina, she described the moment at length with some emotion (again she tought that she may have been seeded 3 at the French in 85 ). Overall, she struck us as being someone really down to earth, quite pleasant and humble at the same time. She said that Martina was better than her in 84 and that she was not the best grass court player when she won Wimby in 74.

Last, we read some passages of 'Lyoyd on Lloyd' and agonized over some gems really showing that she could have a very, very sharp tongue, I quote:

Telling John Lloyd after one of his (bad) losses: 'you have no guts, I don't care if you win or lose or even if you play tennis, you could be a painter as far as I am concerned , but whatever you do, do it with your heart!' [Bang!]

After the 81 Wimby final on Hana (sorry, Tripp): 'Hana thought that maybe you could win on talent alone but you have to go out there and be gutsy and use your head. She didn't use her head at all, she played sloppily and didn't deserve to win' (Oooops)

End of 83 about John again: 'Wedding is based on respect and I started losing respect for John' (Ooooooops)

78 Wimby, queuing up for cars at Wimbledon, saying hello to a shy John Lloyd who hardly replied to her: 'OMG, he must be gay!'

Last edited by jeanmi18 : Jul 26th, 2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #225
country flag daze11

Quote:
Sorry she meant 'she played sloppily',
uh...you could have just hit the 'edit' button on your post.

hi, jm! yes, i made mention of chrissie's gem of a comment to john lloyd in the 'Pls Help!' thread which was all about the 'rivals' book...i think maybe you didnt know thats what the thread was about! but i remember a big LOL at chrissie having to explain the nuances of life to her gutless husband!

please send a mental tape of that 80 RG win in my direction. i will use my ESP to intercept the signal.

oh, and one more thing...you already HAVE all of chrissie's results, remember? and i think they are documented somewhere here on the web...

sounds like you needed a SPANKING this morning, jean-michel. glad i was here to give it to you.