Chris Evert Thread - Page 121 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 19th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1801
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by renstar View Post
Great new vids up on youtube if anyone interested of some matches between Steffi and Chris, including Wimbledon '89, Hilton Head '86, Boca Raton '89 etc etc, matches are in full...... subscribe to geeva1979
Saw some of the recent ones posted from chrisevert.net. Thanks for posting!

I liked the Evert-Austin 1979 La Costa match.

Despite the quality of the video - hey it was from 31 years ago! - it was fascinating to watch the rallies. I was so much more impressed with the quality of that match than today's version of women's tennis.

That was a most interesting match, because it was right after Austin's first ever win over Chris, in the 1979 Avon Championships in MSG. You could tell Chris was so out for revenge And yet it was played in Austin's backyard, on hard courts. No matter, Chris was on top of her game in that match. It was the last tournament Evert competed as a never-been-married gal.

The clips from this match further cemented my belief Chris was the superior player, especially outdoors. (As a side note, it made me curious to see those drubbings Austin gave Evert indoors. I've never seen any of them, save the 1979 Avon match which I saw in person. I can't really fathom how Tracy could beat Chris so soundly.)

Tracy could always hit the ball on a dime. Perhaps better than anyone. Still, I felt her movement was always suspect. She was pretty quick on her feet, and had very good anticipation. But she was never as fluid as Evert (or Hingis or even Sanchez Vicario. Tracy reminds more of Seles in her movement). I think that's why when Chris played Tracy, and employed all her variety, and court savviness, she would prevail over Austin.

The 1979 La Costa match was played when Tracy was 16, in good health, and obviously very much on the rise. Yet I found she was still a bit stiff. The only other matches I've seen her play against Chris, 1980 US Open and 1982 Toyota match, Tracy's stiffness is also evident. But I always attributed that to back problems. Especially the 1982 match.

By comparison, in the Evert-Austin matches I have seen, Tracy makes Chris seem like the swiftest and fastest mover on court. I think Evert's court movement and speed were always underestimated. Chris would not beat some of her rivals in a sprint race. But Chris moved with the best of them on court. Impeccable timing, racquet preparation, and an uncanny sense of anticipation all enhanced Chris' movement.

Last edited by DennisFitz : Dec 19th, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1802
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post

The clips from this match further cemented my belief Chris was the superior player, especially outdoors. (As a side note, it made me curious to see those drubbings Austin gave Evert indoors. I've never seen any of them, save the 1979 Avon match which I saw in person. I can't really fathom how Tracy could beat Chris so soundly.)
i have not seen those indoor matches, but in another way, i feel i have. Evert was the most psychologically oriented player (or at least 'great' player) ever. That use of the power of the mind is a double-edged sword... if the opponent got in her head, they tended to bat around in there for about a year before chris cleared them through her inner-tennis-therapy.

Consider the matches she lost to Graf 6-1 6-2 then 6-2 6-1 in '87.... this when she was BETTER than in '88/'89 when she competed quite gamely vs steffi and very easily could have won all 3 matches: Aussie 88 if taking the match serving up at 6-5 (as a younger tougher evert would have), the 88 Lipton (lost 4 & 4 but both sets were literally determined by ONE or TWO points, which AGAIN, a younger evert would not have been the one to fly the loose error), and the '89 boca which obviously she should have won if the line call drama hadn't ensued; she'd have the break for 4-3 and the momentum.

I can barely watch the '87 matches because she just doesnt try. Graf hits a pounding forehand to corner, evert does not pursue... she had DECIDED Steffi was just 'too tough'... then somehow she figured out she wasn't & everything changed.

I've seen her in similar form against Navratilova during those beatings of 6-3 6-1 & 6-1 6-3... return serve, toss up weak desperation lob on first opportunity, martina overhead smash with bulging arms to follow. Then all of a sudden she decided to FIGHT. No more desperation lobs, if Martina was going to win, she was going to have to do so against an all-out assault from the other side of the net too. She decided to pass her. If Martina can catch that one, can she catch the next? So then that rivalry evened out to 5-7 (that including the last 2 matches, both indoors & after Chris wasnt a tournament winning player anymore....while Martina was to be a top player for years to come)

So I think in a sense we have all seen the famous 3 beatings in 2 weeks matches vs. austin. ie, Chris beat herself 6-2 6-1.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #1803
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
i have not seen those indoor matches, but in another way, i feel i have. Evert was the most psychologically oriented player (or at least 'great' player) ever. That use of the power of the mind is a double-edged sword... if the opponent got in her head, they tended to bat around in there for about a year before chris cleared them through her inner-tennis-therapy.

Consider the matches she lost to Graf 6-1 6-2 then 6-2 6-1 in '87.... this when she was BETTER than in '88/'89 when she competed quite gamely vs steffi and very easily could have won all 3 matches: Aussie 88 if taking the match serving up at 6-5 (as a younger tougher evert would have), the 88 Lipton (lost 4 & 4 but both sets were literally determined by ONE or TWO points, which AGAIN, a younger evert would not have been the one to fly the loose error), and the '89 boca which obviously she should have won if the line call drama hadn't ensued; she'd have the break for 4-3 and the momentum.

I can barely watch the '87 matches because she just doesnt try. Graf hits a pounding forehand to corner, evert does not pursue... she had DECIDED Steffi was just 'too tough'... then somehow she figured out she wasn't & everything changed.

I've seen her in similar form against Navratilova during those beatings of 6-3 6-1 & 6-1 6-3... return serve, toss up weak desperation lob on first opportunity, martina overhead smash with bulging arms to follow. Then all of a sudden she decided to FIGHT. No more desperation lobs, if Martina was going to win, she was going to have to do so against an all-out assault from the other side of the net too. She decided to pass her. If Martina can catch that one, can she catch the next? So then that rivalry evened out to 5-7 (that including the last 2 matches, both indoors & after Chris wasnt a tournament winning player anymore....while Martina was to be a top player for years to come)

So I think in a sense we have all seen the famous 3 beatings in 2 weeks matches vs. austin. ie, Chris beat herself 6-2 6-1.
I don't know why I have some macabre interest in watching those 3 matches from early 1980. Morbid curiosity to see exactly how the matches transpired. I do think it was very psychological. Chris sensed Tracy had already eclipsed her. And with her recent marriage, and thoughts of taking a break, I don't think Chris had the mental fortitude to dig down and beat Tracy. And Tracy was on the rise. And the indoor surface favored her.

The only other Evert-Austin match I am curious about is the 1981 Canadian final. It was 6-1,6-4. And Evert was #1 at the time. A surprisingly bad loss for Chris.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #1804
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

I saw a couple of those early 1980 Austin-Evert matches. Austin was great, especially her angled cross court backhands. Evert was defensive and just wanted to rally. Austin was aggressive. Vintage stuff from the younger one.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM   #1805
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Happy birthday Chris !
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1806
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Quote:
The only other Evert-Austin match I am curious about is the 1981 Canadian final. It was 6-1,6-4. And Evert was #1 at the time. A surprisingly bad loss for Chris.
Worth noting that Chris received a death threat against before this match. She probably wasn't in the best mental frame of mind. Nevertheless, Tracy was playing great tennis during this stretch, and Chris was on a downslide. She had won that desperately wanted third Wimbledon earlier in the summer and just never seemed at her best for the rest of the year.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1807
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Had never heard that Martina encouraged fans not to buy. Seems kind of petty, doesn't it? I thought Howard was very fair to both players. On many levels, not all that different from the Unmatched documentary.

Yeah, Chrissie was usually guarded in interviews. But that was her style.
I've never read anywhere that Martina encouraged, if that's the right word, fans not to buy "The Rivals". To be fair to Johnette Howard, she does quote a lot from interviews Martina gave in the past. However, Chris Evert's voice really comes through in the book because she was interviewed specifically for it and went into great detail, not just on her rivalry with Martina. On the other hand, it's as if Martina is speaking from the room next door. So something of an imbalance can appear to be there when you're reading "The Rivals". But this is not the case with the "Unmatched" documentary, where both Martina and Chris speak equally and openly about themselves and each other. Whether they actually said anything very new is open to debate.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 07:00 AM   #1808
country flag DennisFitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
I've never read anywhere that Martina encouraged, if that's the right word, fans not to buy "The Rivals". To be fair to Johnette Howard, she does quote a lot from interviews Martina gave in the past. However, Chris Evert's voice really comes through in the book because she was interviewed specifically for it and went into great detail, not just on her rivalry with Martina. On the other hand, it's as if Martina is speaking from the room next door. So something of an imbalance can appear to be there when you're reading "The Rivals". But this is not the case with the "Unmatched" documentary, where both Martina and Chris speak equally and openly about themselves and each other. Whether they actually said anything very new is open to debate.
In the Howard book, there may be an "imbalance" in the voice, because Howard talked directly to Evert, but not Martina. And that was Martina's doing.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #1809
country flag btthegreat

btthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point

I just joined the forum today. I am a longtime Evert fan having watched a lot of tennis in the 80's and 90's. Her mind at work on a court never tires or bores me,like so many players today. I hope I have something worthy to contribute along with what I may learn.
btthegreat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1810
country flag btthegreat

I have Three questions. How much grass experience did Evert have BEFORE the '71 open in the juniors?

I have the following clay losses recorded for Evert on the Pro tour Fed or Wightman Cup: 3 to Martina,2 to Jaeger, Maleeva, Goolagong, Richey, and one each to Austin, Court, Graf, Seles, Mandlikova (and lots of 3 setters!) Sanchez, and Garrison. Were there any others? Is Seles the only player with a winning record on clay over Evert?
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1811
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

losses also included sandra cecchini at the fed cup in prague, where chrissie surely should not have been even playing with her injured knee, so injured she had to wear a big ole knee brace at the time, and even then lost in a close 3 setter.

loss in 1989 her last year to barbara paulus! at a clay event in europe, i forgot the tournament, but chris already half in retirement and paulus moonballing every single point drove chrissie nuts and chrissie admitted she had lost the patience to play this kind of match years ago, so consequently more to do with chrissie bored out of her mind, couldn't stand to play this kind of match against anyone. she consequently dropped out of the french open just a couple of weeks later, not wanting to play this type of tennis and on the surface that she ruled on, so that is very telling her state of mind NOT to want to play on clay?!
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1812
country flag DennisFitz

After Clijsters beat former #1 Safina 6-0,6-0 in this year's Australian, there was an article on the web, and they even quoted the WTA, saying ti was the first time a former #1 had ever lost 6-0,6-0 in a match. They did not clarify or say anything about it being the only time this happened in a major.

When I read that, I immediately thought of Chris Evert. And her two famous 6-0, 6-0 beatings of former #1s.

April 1981, Amelia Island, Chris defeats Martina Navratilova 6-0,6-0 int he finals of the Murjani WTA event (the equivalent of a Tier I tournament). Martina had been ranked #1 less than a year before that match, and was a 2-time Wimbledon champion, 2-time Virginia Slims champion, and winner of more than 40 tournaments at the time.

December 1982, Meadowlands NJ, Chris Evert defeated Tracy Austin 6-0,6-0 in the semifinals of the Toyota Series Championships.

Evert's wins over former #1s Navratilova and Austin were quality wins over quality opponents.

I actually found it sad, on many levels, how they were comparing Safina to any former #1.

And I must be getting older, because I simply cannot watch women's tennis today. The screeching is deafening, and the mindless bashing from the backcourt just gets to me. Give me a mid 1970s, wood racquet match on clay between Chris Evert and Evonne to anything the women offer today. I never thought I'd be nostalgic for the moonballing days of Andrea Jaeger, but I am!

Yes, the good old days. They were good indeed. And so was Miss Evert, when she was in her devastating competitive mode. And I also don't think the ever diplomatic Chris would think about apologizing for beating any opponent 6-0,6-0. That's part of what made her such a great champion. She wanted to win, knew how to win, and made no apologies for doing what she set out to do.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1813
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

i so hear you dennis fritz! i find myself longing for jaeger's moonballs too! lol!

heck, i get excited when i see a player come to the net! or hit a slice forehand/backhand approach shot! or a volley that is not a swinging volley! SOMETHING ANYTHING PLAYERS PLEASE GIVE ME!

can't watch women's tennis either, unless it's a henin/clijsters/stosur match=up

oh how i long for the good ole days when there was actually strategy, slices, moonballs, serve and volley and so on and so on. wood rackets are good, but i would even go for old model graphite rackets circa the mid to late 1980's! today?.....

every single player within the top 100, heck make that the top 500 plays the same way, bashing from the baseline, either hitting a winner or more likely an error and that is how the match is really won. can't hit a volley besides the hit or miss swinging volleys, all two handed backhands, save for henin and stosuer, ..... all the players look alike, all the players last names sound alike, ..... CAN'T STAND IT!

and the loud screeching? RIDICULOUS, UTTERLY RIDICULOUS, CANNOT BELIEVE THE WTA HASN'T MADE SOME KIND OF REFERENDUM ON THIS!!!!!

did you (anyone) catch the match with venus williams winning in 3 sets over that one player in her last round ( the one she injured herself in)? i CANNOT BELIEVE HOW LOUD THIS PLAYER THAT I HAD NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE WAS! i mean louder than venus herself on every darn shot! I MEAN OVEREXAGGERATED YELLING IT WAS! if i was in the crowd, between points i would probably have shouted "shut up!"

sharapova's excuse is that: she doesn't even know she's doing it she's so concentrating! which of course is utter B.S.!

the men are bad at it too, but the women are even worse! funny, how the only player that i know of that doesn't do it is mister.federer himself!
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1814
country flag btthegreat

No but Martina did after her double bagel loss. She said she should give back half of her paycheck. I do recall Evert telling the crowd she was sorry her loss to Martina 6-2,6-0 at Amelia Island was not more competitive. Usually the winner does not apologize.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1815
country flag Evertmad

Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice Evertmad is just really nice

Martina & Chris to hit the courts together again with Mac in April at the Family Circle Cup.....

http://www.10sballs.com/2011/01/21/t...ibition-match/
Evertmad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote