Chris Evert Thread - Page 107 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1591
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Pam, I agree with you so much!! That forehand crosscourt dropshot is probably the hardest shot in the world to play and in Evert's execution it is simply sublime. And I was just waiting for you to mention the side-spin forehand down the line. Martina must still have nightmares about that shot, because it was used so often against her. She would pin Martina to the baseline and pick apart her backhand with various spins, variations of flat, top-spin, slow, fast, then just when Martina was expecting another shot to her backhand, Chris would hit that sidespin down the line that just kept going further and further away and completely fading at the end!! My favourites are in the finals of the 1984 US open and the 1986 French Open (when Evert's forehand was really HOT, especially towards the end!).

Although the great clashes in Grand Slam finals against Martina and Evonne never disappoint, I actually prefer the more minor matches against feisty opponents like Kate or Darling Carling, where you can enjoy Evert's impeccable technique. It is like the way that artist's studies (Rubens, Constable, Uccello) are now valued and preferred more over their finished and polished works, because it gives an insight into their workshop. Such matches are like seeing what Chrissie does in the "kitchen," as it were - as opposed to her "dinner-table" triumphs against the greats.

And about Evonne - I noticed in the matches Evonne playing volleys in the mid-1970s that look as if she is playing with a mid-size graphite racket, but she is using a wooden racket, incredible!

But to return to the main theme, I think Evert's technical superiority over the rest of the pack - and not just in open tennis - is proved just by that one crosscourt forehand dropshot that she used to save the first matchpoint against Monica Seles in 1989 Houston. Can you show me one other woman player that has ever come up with a shot like that at match point down?
I agree with most of what you say and you are correct to eulogise the Evert drop shot off the forehand which was phenomenal. On a technical point I have to say too that her volleys were excellent. Watching her play Wade in the semifinals of Wimbledon 78 was a great case in point. To be honest the bread and butter baseline shots were not firing that day and Wade was better from the back in the first set. But Evert knew this and adapted her game and came to the net and played some fantastic tennis. This of course is as much a testament to her mental brilliance as technical genius, but it does highlight the awesome armoury she had, way more than most of other baseline players. And that includes Austin who I still rate as a superior baseline if not all court player to Evert.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1592
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
I agree with most of what you say and you are correct to eulogise the Evert drop shot off the forehand which was phenomenal. On a technical point I have to say too that her volleys were excellent. Watching her play Wade in the semifinals of Wimbledon 78 was a great case in point. To be honest the bread and butter baseline shots were not firing that day and Wade was better from the back in the first set. But Evert knew this and adapted her game and came to the net and played some fantastic tennis. This of course is as much a testament to her mental brilliance as technical genius, but it does highlight the awesome armoury she had, way more than most of other baseline players. And that includes Austin who I still rate as a superior baseline if not all court player to Evert.
I have to agree on the Evert volley. I would add, that as Daze has pointed out, Evert's volleys from the 70s were stronger than her later years even though the "Chrissie goes to the net and can volley" hype was much more, primarily because it was seen as a response to Nav's domination. Those later years volleys were a touch too precious and too heavily reliant on the drop volley than a good solid "punch" which we were much more inclined to see in the late '70s.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1593
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

I must add that I love watching the Bassett match highlights primarily because Bassett's backhand was AWESOME! Such a weapon and so solid. It was fascinating to watch Bassett's more aggressive-Seles like backhand go toe to toe with Chrissie's more precise two hander. Bassett really held her own in that match, primarily because of the backhand, fantastic footwork and the forehand was relatively on. Bassett's forehand was pretty scary from a tech standpoint, way too whippy and wristy and the point of contact was all over the place. What was interesting to see was how early Bassett took the backhand, you can see the difference in terms of where Evert and Carling were striking the ball, and Carling's was on the rise, while Chrissie was hitting it within the traditional target zone.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1594
pinapin54

pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...9&g=0AC3006702
nice pix of chris at broward foundation event....HEY, Daze, we're waiting for the article about it!PLIIIIZZZZZ
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #1595
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the Pics Pinapin. Great to see Chrissie looking so well, love her dress!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #1596
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
I have to agree on the Evert volley. I would add, that as Daze has pointed out, Evert's volleys from the 70s were stronger than her later years even though the "Chrissie goes to the net and can volley" hype was much more, primarily because it was seen as a response to Nav's domination. Those later years volleys were a touch too precious and too heavily reliant on the drop volley than a good solid "punch" which we were much more inclined to see in the late '70s.
I was also really impressed by how quickly Evert could be up at the net and volleying. Watching the final with Morozova in 74 was a revelation because before I hadnt thought about the match being that close. Of course it wasnt, but the first game in particular could have led to a very different final if Morozova had taken it. However even that early in her career Evert had an instinct re when to attack and go to the net. SO underrated as a net player IMO.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1597
country flag iainmac

Quote:
I must add that I love watching the Bassett match highlights primarily because Bassett's backhand was AWESOME! Such a weapon and so solid. It was fascinating to watch Bassett's more aggressive-Seles like backhand go toe to toe with Chrissie's more precise two hander. Bassett really held her own in that match, primarily because of the backhand, fantastic footwork and the forehand was relatively on. Bassett's forehand was pretty scary from a tech standpoint, way too whippy and wristy and the point of contact was all over the place. What was interesting to see was how early Bassett took the backhand, you can see the difference in terms of where Evert and Carling were striking the ball, and Carling's was on the rise, while Chrissie was hitting it within the traditional target zone.
Are you talking about the quarter finals of the 86 French Open here? I was very impressed by Bassett in this match and it was an indicator of how much better a player she could have been if she had stayed on the tour and focussed.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1598
PamShriver

Quote:
Are you talking about the quarter finals of the 86 French Open here? I was very impressed by Bassett in this match and it was an indicator of how much better a player she could have been if she had stayed on the tour and focussed.
Actually there are some highlights on youtube of Evert v. Bassett Amelia Island Final of '83. Bassett looks even better in that match than she did in the Roland Garros QF of '86. Faster, fitter and more focused. I think Bassett lost a lot of self-belief somewhere in 1985, probably because her dad got sick, but also she had some bad losses that year that I think shook her confidence. I do think that of all the Chrissie Clones outside of Austin and Jaeger, Bassett was the best.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1599
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Actually there are some highlights on youtube of Evert v. Bassett Amelia Island Final of '83. Bassett looks even better in that match than she did in the Roland Garros QF of '86. Faster, fitter and more focused. I think Bassett lost a lot of self-belief somewhere in 1985, probably because her dad got sick, but also she had some bad losses that year that I think shook her confidence. I do think that of all the Chrissie Clones outside of Austin and Jaeger, Bassett was the best.
I agree with you there, I actually thought that Bassett was very talented. I must check out the youtube coverage of the Amelia Island final. Ive never seen it and I remember at the time being amazed that a girl of that age could push Evert so closely on clay. I dont know if it wasnt all to do with her father being ill that she never developed. Mind you I remember watching her play Hobbs at Wimbledon in 84 and she clearly struggled against net rushers on faster surfaces.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #1600
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

That Amelia Island final against Bassett was a great match, and so much fun to watch. I saw it live, and it was oh so close. Evert wasn't at her best that day, but Bassett was pounding her groundstrokes and put Chrissie on the defensive. Mind you, I know Chris won the French in 83, but I don't think that was one of her best years.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #1601
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
But to return to the main theme, I think Evert's technical superiority over the rest of the pack - and not just in open tennis - is proved just by that one crosscourt forehand dropshot that she used to save the first matchpoint against Monica Seles in 1989 Houston. Can you show me one other woman player that has ever come up with a shot like that at match point down?
Arantxa Sanchez v Rafaella Reggi, 3R Wimbly 199???

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1602
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I was also really impressed by how quickly Evert could be up at the net and volleying. Watching the final with Morozova in 74 was a revelation because before I hadnt thought about the match being that close. Of course it wasnt, but the first game in particular could have led to a very different final if Morozova had taken it. However even that early in her career Evert had an instinct re when to attack and go to the net. SO underrated as a net player IMO.
i am amazed you can even mention that match; it is simply the most tedious tennis i have ever seen. i try to over look it because i know chris was a great player in '74.... but that wimbledon match is entirely without interest for me. I cant recall a single interesting point. And me saying that for an evert match is something else!!!!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1603
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
That Amelia Island final against Bassett was a great match, and so much fun to watch. I saw it live, and it was oh so close. Evert wasn't at her best that day, but Bassett was pounding her groundstrokes and put Chrissie on the defensive. Mind you, I know Chris won the French in 83, but I don't think that was one of her best years.
that final was gorgeous clay court tennis though.... chris was not threatened so she really put on an artful display of arsenal, making it far more interesting for the fans than it may otherwise have been!!!

plus lets face it... she was a babe in '83. ypu can tell she was just beginning to think about doing her nails, at the same moment as martina really dug in to her historical heights. what a clash of desire vs loss of interest at exactly the right time!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #1604
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Jem83 was a strange year for Evert, on paper it looks like a great year but there were some strange results such as the loss to Bonder in Tokyo, and by the sounds of it the match with Bassett was a close run thing as well. Closer than it would have been in other seasons. Its funny I have recently watched her match in the 3rd round of the French Open with Goolagong in 83 and I was shocked by just how close Evonne was to getting the edge on her in the early stages of the match. I wonder how much pressure she would have felt if it had been someone other than Jausovec in the final???
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1605
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Arantxa Sanchez v Rafaella Reggi, 3R Wimbly 199???
Hi Adey, I agree what an amazing shot that was. Never to be forgotten.