Chris Evert Thread - Page 106 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1576
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
she was often in the stands routing for jimmy connors!!!

i think chris made it a point to be ultra concentrated during those fed cup matches, knowing they would be her last. she didnt want to leave the zina garrison under-performance as her farewell song, even though many remember it that way in any case! but i agree, she played phenomenally tough tennis in those final 2 matches. i am sure she didnt feel she could do that on a regular basis however. it showed if she had no other life on the horizon to go to, she MAY have had that focus & desire left in her... but it just wasnt the case. She was ready to go.
A really great way to go though DazeI agree with you that she probably was able to play so well as it was her last hurrah and she was aware of that. She had such a passion for playing for the United States in the Wightman and Federation Cups that it is kind of fitting that she finished representing her country. Of course she became famous in Britain not as a result of the 71 Open, but the devastating way she had defeated Wade and Winnie Shaw in the Wightman Cup.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #1577
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Chris was actually a very good team player when she was on Fed Cup and Wightman Cup, as well as WTT. I think she was someone who was genuinely able to separate out team from individual competition. So she would have no problem cheering for Martina, Billie Jean, or Rosie as a teammate, even if she would have to face them another week as an individual competitor. Mind you, Chris was secretly throwing darts out at Tracy Austin when they were Fed and Wightman Cup teammates. You know Chris couldn't stand the b*tch, and was breathing fire threw her nose, or holding her nose, while insultingly cheering for the brat

Oh relax all! I just love maligning the much maligned Tracy Austin!!
YOUR A BAD MAN!!!!Actually joking aside it is obvious that both Evert and Austin gelled very well in the common cause of winning for the United States.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1578
country flag iainmac

Quote:
yes, she had the double hampering of a heel spur plus she was pale-white ill. again, i dont think mary would make it up and she began the coverage of the match discussing it & never stopped talking about it. i dont remember her ever talking about chris playing with a fever before.

the fact that so few are are of it shows how few excuses chris publicly airs, with the exception of 2 or 3 matches in her career.
Daze:wavey Great point although I have to say that her remarkable fitness prevented her getting the really bad injuries that affected eg Austin and Graf.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #1579
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Yep, Evert's Wightman (never lost a singles) and Fed Cup records are very impressive. Her first ever Fed Cup loss was to Cecchini in 1986 when she was past 30 and playing on an injured knee. To Evert's credit she gave Sandra her due ( "she didn't miss a ball", Chris said) and didn't make her shock defeat the center of attention. It was Martina's week to shine and Chris let her have it. Evert was remarkably healthy over her career, but was never the same after her 1986 mid-season injury.

And you might be right about her feelings towards Tracy too, though what she was really thinking in Spain and Berlin was "Thank god that little pinafore brat goes back to high school rather than moving on to snatch MY French-who does she think she is beating me on red clay?"
RolloAnd of course the way that Austin won her matches in Madrid and Berlin would definitely have given Evert room to think about the winning of the French Open. Austin and Evert were one of the greatest ever Federation Cup teams on clay. Dennis name one other team that was superior to them? I cant with maybe the exception of Martinez and Sanchez Vicario.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1580
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
If anyone is interested in the 86 Cechini match google "Cecchini-Evert". The second result should be "America Survive's Evert's First Loss"

It has a pic of a jubilant Cecchini. Her upset snapped Evert's remarkable streak of 29 straight Fed Cup wins.

Does anyone know if this is the all=time Fed Cup record?

on an unrelated note Hana Mandlikova was married the same day. How's this for a quote: She was asked why she wore casual atire and not white to her wedding.

Hana: "I had to wear white at Wimbledon, so I decided to wear leather today."
RolloMandlikova confused herself but few others by that bizarre marriage, but you are right. It overshadowed the famous Cecchini win.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1581
country flag iainmac

Quote:
i have a new found respect for hana mandlikova today!
You like leather Daze? Ditto for me- I have a new found respect for you today!!!!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1582
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute

I found some new Chris Evert clips uploaded on YouTube here - http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisevertdotnet#g/u
raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #1583
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Thank you, Great clips.
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #1584
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

never having seen the evert loss to ceccini, but reading about it when it happened and now here, it amazes me and quite frankly gets me mad that an opponent can jump and down and go nutty happy on a win, when they know their opponent i.e. evert in this case 1)clearly was injured and 2) would kick their butt 1000 times in a row!

yes, i guess ceccini could be happy on a great victory for herself and her country, but how can a person be so self absorbed and clueless to revel in a victory over a obviously better player like chrissie and this player being injured and not even 50 percent?

it reminds me of a high school match where i played this guy and i won the first set, but i had a injury to my lower back ( it was actually a slightly bruised tailbone when i fell out of my bed and landed right on that spot on the floor a day earlier ) that started hurting more and more as the match when on, to where it felt like needles being injected in my tailbone and i could barely run or move, this opponent started dropshotting all over the place and i could only barely reach any of them by running to the ball with a total straight stiff back, which looked obviously silly and pointless. in hindsight, i shouldn't have played at all, and while i don't argue with his tactics in trying to win i do have a point that this jerk, when he won starting jumping up and down like he won wimbledon! HUH? you jump up and down like some great victory over an opponent who was obviously injured and not well? what a schmuck! later in the season though, payback was given, in the form of myself being 100 percent and i kicked his butt easily.
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #1585
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Thank you, Great clips.
Hello there my SueLove you lots and have missed you. But Im back and waiting to hear from you. Mind you we better not yap too much here, we have a history of getting told off, correctly, for misusing the threads!!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #1586
country flag chrissiefan

chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold chrissiefan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Hello there my SueLove you lots and have missed you. But Im back and waiting to hear from you. Mind you we better not yap too much here, we have a history of getting told off, correctly, for misusing the threads!!!!
Macky! Welcome back, glad you and Chrissie are both well!
chrissiefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #1587
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiefan View Post
Macky! Welcome back, glad you and Chrissie are both well!
SueThanks for that. Looks like there has been far less activity on BFTP lately. I am sure I can single handedly change that with all my mad posts!!!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1588
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

I've been watching the clips from some of Chrissie's matches that Chrisevertdotnet has posted on youtube and they are phenomenal. They really give you a sense of Evert's true genius. Her groundstroke technique is sublime. Not one variation from shot to shot and little variation in mechanics through the years, actually as the years progressed Chrissie's strokes got cleaner and cleaner to the point that there was really no flaws whatsoever by the time you get to the '80 Austin match at the UO which to me is shear perfection.
And when talking about major weapons in the history of the game, infrequently is the Evert forehand dropshot mentioned, but that thing is AMAZING, not just in terms of accuracy and placement but also in Chris' ability to alter and adjust the pace and change the direction of the preceding shot. I have never seen anyone dropshot like that...not even close.
Speaking of Chrissie's forehand side, her forehand was pretty awesome back in the day-pre-graphite that is. Her variety on that wing was incredible. On the backhand she pretty much drove through hit with a titch of top-spin, the greatness from that stroke came from placement and pace. The forehand, however, was sometimes looped, sometimes driven, sometimes dropped, and of course her amazing side-spin fadeaway that just died on clay and grass. So much variety. I cannot even tell you what a delight it has been to go back and discover Chrissie's genius!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #1589
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
I've been watching the clips from some of Chrissie's matches that Chrisevertdotnet has posted on youtube and they are phenomenal. They really give you a sense of Evert's true genius. Her groundstroke technique is sublime. Not one variation from shot to shot and little variation in mechanics through the years, actually as the years progressed Chrissie's strokes got cleaner and cleaner to the point that there was really no flaws whatsoever by the time you get to the '80 Austin match at the UO which to me is shear perfection.
And when talking about major weapons in the history of the game, infrequently is the Evert forehand dropshot mentioned, but that thing is AMAZING, not just in terms of accuracy and placement but also in Chris' ability to alter and adjust the pace and change the direction of the preceding shot. I have never seen anyone dropshot like that...not even close.
Speaking of Chrissie's forehand side, her forehand was pretty awesome back in the day-pre-graphite that is. Her variety on that wing was incredible. On the backhand she pretty much drove through hit with a titch of top-spin, the greatness from that stroke came from placement and pace. The forehand, however, was sometimes looped, sometimes driven, sometimes dropped, and of course her amazing side-spin fadeaway that just died on clay and grass. So much variety. I cannot even tell you what a delight it has been to go back and discover Chrissie's genius!
I so agree Pam with that. I have many matches now of Evert in the 70s and early 80s and her groundstroke game is perfection. Utterly fantastic to watch and actuallly quite beautiful. So much rightly is made of Goolagong but too little of the particular grace and beauty that Evert brought to the game. Even in the 74 final with Morozova her movement and variety were awesome.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1590
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
Pam, I agree with you so much!! That forehand crosscourt dropshot is probably the hardest shot in the world to play and in Evert's execution it is simply sublime. And I was just waiting for you to mention the side-spin forehand down the line. Martina must still have nightmares about that shot, because it was used so often against her. She would pin Martina to the baseline and pick apart her backhand with various spins, variations of flat, top-spin, slow, fast, then just when Martina was expecting another shot to her backhand, Chris would hit that sidespin down the line that just kept going further and further away and completely fading at the end!! My favourites are in the finals of the 1984 US open and the 1986 French Open (when Evert's forehand was really HOT, especially towards the end!).

Although the great clashes in Grand Slam finals against Martina and Evonne never disappoint, I actually prefer the more minor matches against feisty opponents like Kate or Darling Carling, where you can enjoy Evert's impeccable technique. It is like the way that artist's studies (Rubens, Constable, Uccello) are now valued and preferred more over their finished and polished works, because it gives an insight into their workshop. Such matches are like seeing what Chrissie does in the "kitchen," as it were - as opposed to her "dinner-table" triumphs against the greats.

And about Evonne - I noticed in the matches Evonne playing volleys in the mid-1970s that look as if she is playing with a mid-size graphite racket, but she is using a wooden racket, incredible!

But to return to the main theme, I think Evert's technical superiority over the rest of the pack - and not just in open tennis - is proved just by that one crosscourt forehand dropshot that she used to save the first matchpoint against Monica Seles in 1989 Houston. Can you show me one other woman player that has ever come up with a shot like that at match point down?
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote