Chris Evert Thread - Page 105 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1561
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

1)i didn't think or know that chris was sick when she played sanchez-vicario in 88, what i was lead to believe from what i have read and watched of that match was that chrissie had a painful bone spur in her foot which made it very difficult obviously to move around on the court, slide on clay and to hit off her backfoot to hit her backhand. from points i have seen it's clearly obvious she was protecting her foot and not stepping into her backhand at all, and floating it back, sometimes even almost one handing it in her follow thru because she didn't want to go all out on that stroke and that foot. she also was not moving even at average court coverage. she almost pulled out of wimbledon 2 weeks later because she was concerned about the pain as well as lack of match play both in general and on grass.

2)i think chrissie lost in total 3 matches before the semifinals in her grand slam career right?

once to kathy jordan third round wimby 83

once to sanchez-vicario at the french in 88 (3rd or 4th round?)

once to lori mcneil u.s. open 87 (forgot which round 3rd,4th or quarters?)
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1562
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Chris lost four times b4 the semis in a grand slam, including her final match to Zina Garrison at the U.S. Open.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #1563
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

It is very easy and rather cowardly to react to Agassi two or three months later than all the other reactions you can see what works and what not, that is what Chris did. I think Martina was treated very harshly in the States while some other players like Federer, Nadal and Safin said the same things. Nobody wanted to see what Martina really said about the lying. In Europe there was not such a fuzz about Martina. I did not read the book, only excerpts so I may not comment, why do you have to read the book to say you understand what Agassi did? There were many players with rottten parents who forced them to play tennis does that justify using drugs tanking matches etc. I only can say he earned a lot of money by pretending to be someone he was not and Martina lost a lot of money by being honest.This world and these people reward the dishonest.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #1564
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
well, what happened is she had beaten sanchez in straight sets without much hassle a couple of weeks prior, and she was looking at the draw and saw a fairly easy flight to the semi if she could just pull through this match, which she saw as the toughest til those final 2 rounds when she hoped she'd feel better. so in that spirit, she went for it...

but sanchez did keep putting the ball back in play, and chris was down 1-6 1-5 and pulled a comeback almost identical to the previous slam, the 1988 AO final with graf, so she was sick... but some great will arose in her as always just before the final card was to be played, which ended up looking like it was a normal kind of set. but it was a total career oddity in reality.

she pulled out of the 88 us open BECAUSE of what happened in this match, knowing that if she wasnt at her best, it was not good enough anymore. In 1983, she could still afford to be a little more cocky about that kind of thing; she had never lost before the semi before so her expectations were different.
I thought Chris had an ankle or some other leg injury that hampered her vs ASV at the 1988 French, not her being ill. (Although Arantxa could make you ill at times

I thought the result was shocking at the time, but in retrospect, considering Arantxa won the title the following year, it was not a terrible loss.

Their Eckerd match was close 76,64 considering Chris was #3 and Arantxa not top 20 yet.

And at the 1988 US Open I believed Chris pulled out of the semis because of a bad stomach virus. She couldn't even get out of bed. Unlike Wimbledon 1983 vs KJ. The 1988 Open was the only time Chris didn't play a match in a major, or even in a significant event. She withdrew from events, but very rarely defaulted.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1565
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehardwick View Post
Any of you notice that in Chris's usual letter in Tennis magazine in the new issue she has an ardent defense of Agassi? Including the fact that she also had matches she didn't want to win and didn't, and that he's found a peace of mind everyone would like to have (her access to peace of mind no doubt having been elusive given recent events). I've noticed despite all the coverage of Navratilova slamming him - without having read the book or having any info n a very Nav-like way - when the book came out, there's been no coverage I've seen of her also rather startling take on it.
I have said all along that I fully understand why Agassi did what he did. Its just unfortunate that he felt the need to tell everyone, I am not certain but pretty sure that tennis players of the past would have included some alcoholics. This is a drug of course although legalised. Navratilova was naieve to comment as she did but I admire the support that Evert has given Agassi.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1566
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by laschutz View Post
1)i didn't think or know that chris was sick when she played sanchez-vicario in 88, what i was lead to believe from what i have read and watched of that match was that chrissie had a painful bone spur in her foot which made it very difficult obviously to move around on the court, slide on clay and to hit off her backfoot to hit her backhand. from points i have seen it's clearly obvious she was protecting her foot and not stepping into her backhand at all, and floating it back, sometimes even almost one handing it in her follow thru because she didn't want to go all out on that stroke and that foot. she also was not moving even at average court coverage. she almost pulled out of wimbledon 2 weeks later because she was concerned about the pain as well as lack of match play both in general and on grass.

2)i think chrissie lost in total 3 matches before the semifinals in her grand slam career right?

once to kathy jordan third round wimby 83

once to sanchez-vicario at the french in 88 (3rd or 4th round?)

once to lori mcneil u.s. open 87 (forgot which round 3rd,4th or quarters?)
You are quite correct- McNeil played brilliant attacking tennis to beat Evert in the quarter finals of the Open in 87.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1567
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
I thought Chris had an ankle or some other leg injury that hampered her vs ASV at the 1988 French, not her being ill. (Although Arantxa could make you ill at times

I thought the result was shocking at the time, but in retrospect, considering Arantxa won the title the following year, it was not a terrible loss.

Their Eckerd match was close 76,64 considering Chris was #3 and Arantxa not top 20 yet.

And at the 1988 US Open I believed Chris pulled out of the semis because of a bad stomach virus. She couldn't even get out of bed. Unlike Wimbledon 1983 vs KJ. The 1988 Open was the only time Chris didn't play a match in a major, or even in a significant event. She withdrew from events, but very rarely defaulted.
Thats right the stomach bug in 88, thanks for reminding me Dennis. Evert of course was very much of the old school of professionals who did not see it as appropriate to pull out unless the injury was absolutely serious. A lesson for some today. She pulled out against Wade I think in Seattle in 1980 but she was burned out and really needed the rest. And how she came roaring back!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1568
country flag jamesuk

jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold jamesuk is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to daze I got Chris Evert´s last ever match, Fed Cup final vs COnchita MArtinez. Watching this match, it is amazing to see how well she is playing. I know the reasons for leaving were mental tiredness etc, but the way she plays in that match would make one think she would have EASILY coped with a few more years on the tour. She coped well with some lethal forehands from Conchita and takes the bal early on many occasions to hit winners or just totally outmanouver her.
It was cool to see Martina on her feet cheering for her. Which makes me wonder if there are any matches out there where you can see Chris rooting for MArtina in the crowd? It would be cool to see that. I cant imagine Chris rooting for ANYone given her demeanor!
jamesuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1569
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuk View Post
Thanks to daze I got Chris Evert´s last ever match, Fed Cup final vs COnchita MArtinez. Watching this match, it is amazing to see how well she is playing. I know the reasons for leaving were mental tiredness etc, but the way she plays in that match would make one think she would have EASILY coped with a few more years on the tour. She coped well with some lethal forehands from Conchita and takes the bal early on many occasions to hit winners or just totally outmanouver her.
It was cool to see Martina on her feet cheering for her. Which makes me wonder if there are any matches out there where you can see Chris rooting for MArtina in the crowd? It would be cool to see that. I cant imagine Chris rooting for ANYone given her demeanor!
she was often in the stands routing for jimmy connors!!!

i think chris made it a point to be ultra concentrated during those fed cup matches, knowing they would be her last. she didnt want to leave the zina garrison under-performance as her farewell song, even though many remember it that way in any case! but i agree, she played phenomenally tough tennis in those final 2 matches. i am sure she didnt feel she could do that on a regular basis however. it showed if she had no other life on the horizon to go to, she MAY have had that focus & desire left in her... but it just wasnt the case. She was ready to go.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #1570
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Chris was actually a very good team player when she was on Fed Cup and Wightman Cup, as well as WTT. I think she was someone who was genuinely able to separate out team from individual competition. So she would have no problem cheering for Martina, Billie Jean, or Rosie as a teammate, even if she would have to face them another week as an individual competitor. Mind you, Chris was secretly throwing darts out at Tracy Austin when they were Fed and Wightman Cup teammates. You know Chris couldn't stand the b*tch, and was breathing fire threw her nose, or holding her nose, while insultingly cheering for the brat

Oh relax all! I just love maligning the much maligned Tracy Austin!!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1571
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
yes, she had the double hampering of a heel spur plus she was pale-white ill. again, i dont think mary would make it up and she began the coverage of the match discussing it & never stopped talking about it. i dont remember her ever talking about chris playing with a fever before.

the fact that so few are are of it shows how few excuses chris publicly airs, with the exception of 2 or 3 matches in her career.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #1572
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chris was actually a very good team player when she was on Fed Cup and Wightman Cup, as well as WTT. I think she was someone who was genuinely able to separate out team from individual competition. So she would have no problem cheering for Martina, Billie Jean, or Rosie as a teammate, even if she would have to face them another week as an individual competitor. Mind you, Chris was secretly throwing darts out at Tracy Austin when they were Fed and Wightman Cup teammates. You know Chris couldn't stand the b*tch, and was breathing fire threw her nose, or holding her nose, while insultingly cheering for the brat

Oh relax all! I just love maligning the much maligned Tracy Austin!!
Yep, Evert's Wightman (never lost a singles) and Fed Cup records are very impressive. Her first ever Fed Cup loss was to Cecchini in 1986 when she was past 30 and playing on an injured knee. To Evert's credit she gave Sandra her due ( "she didn't miss a ball", Chris said) and didn't make her shock defeat the center of attention. It was Martina's week to shine and Chris let her have it. Evert was remarkably healthy over her career, but was never the same after her 1986 mid-season injury.

And you might be right about her feelings towards Tracy too, though what she was really thinking in Spain and Berlin was "Thank god that little pinafore brat goes back to high school rather than moving on to snatch MY French-who does she think she is beating me on red clay?"

Last edited by Rollo : Jan 16th, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #1573
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is interested in the 86 Cechini match google "Cecchini-Evert". The second result should be "America Survive's Evert's First Loss"

It has a pic of a jubilant Cecchini. Her upset snapped Evert's remarkable streak of 29 straight Fed Cup wins.

Does anyone know if this is the all=time Fed Cup record?

on an unrelated note Hana Mandlikova was married the same day. How's this for a quote: She was asked why she wore casual atire and not white to her wedding.

Hana: "I had to wear white at Wimbledon, so I decided to wear leather today."
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1574
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

on an unrelated note Hana Mandlikova was married the same day. How's this for a quote: She was asked why she wore casual atire and not white to her wedding.

Hana: "I had to wear white at Wimbledon, so I decided to wear leather today."
i have a new found respect for hana mandlikova today!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1575
country flag iainmac

Quote:
That is a thrill to see that, I must get a copy. It shows such amazing resolution from Evert that she so comprehensively defeated Martinez. The latter had already emerged as real challenger on clay but in Tokyo she learned from the master I guess. What a way to finish her career I reckon.