Chris Evert Thread - Page 104 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1546
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
Happy Birthday (belated ) also from me!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
MERRY CHRISTMAS BACK AND TO EVERYONE
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1547
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Have you checked the new legend profile of Evert at the WTATour site? It's pretty interesting, I'm still checkin for the pics and quotes; Evert fans should see it!
I just got mad when it mentions Chris only lost once before QFs in her Slams career, in 1983, why she also lost, sick IIRC, againt the sometimes lucky ASV (she got some ill big rivals in her career), at the French in 1988; I get mad when in official big sites they type these mistakes as it is their job and they get PAYED for doing it! Any knowledgeable tennis fan would know these facts.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1548
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Have you checked the new legend profile of Evert at the WTATour site? It's pretty interesting, I'm still checkin for the pics and quotes; Evert fans should see it!
I just got mad when it mentions Chris only lost once before QFs in her Slams career, in 1983, why she also lost, sick IIRC, againt the sometimes lucky ASV (she got some ill big rivals in her career), at the French in 1988; I get mad when in official big sites they type these mistakes as it is their job and they get PAYED for doing it! Any knowledgeable tennis fan would know these facts.
I havent seen the profile but will check it out. I know what you mean it is so annoying when we are full of facts and figures and the professionals get it wrong when they write up. I think there is a tendency among tennis people to remember the Kathy Jordan loss at Wimbledon in 83 and to forget that Sanchez Vicario scored that highly significant win at the French Open in 88. That really sent her on the way to victory a year later there. Great effort.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1549
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
I havent seen the profile but will check it out. I know what you mean it is so annoying when we are full of facts and figures and the professionals get it wrong when they write up. I think there is a tendency among tennis people to remember the Kathy Jordan loss at Wimbledon in 83 and to forget that Sanchez Vicario scored that highly significant win at the French Open in 88. That really sent her on the way to victory a year later there. Great effort.
though you should see that match... mary carillo is talking before they go on court that she had never seen chris sicker, with no color, etc, and that she couldnt believe she was going to try to play, and not even request to push the match back. she went on & on about it as the match went on, saying "i can barely watch this... she really shouldn't be on court" ... when you watch it, i think it becomes far less significant. interesting though that her 2 pre-QF slam losses did involve illness that could be vouched for before she went on court!!!

that wta profile is up at the facebook page too... http://www.facebook.com/chrissieevert
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1550
country flag iainmac

DazeI dont doubt for a moment that Evert was ill. And it would have been tough for Sanchez Vicario to win if she had not been ill. However I still feel she could have done so. Evert was no longer the force on clay by 88 and Sanchez Vicario was on her way to becoming one of the greatest clay court players of her era. I havent seen the match but I guess that if Evert was that ill she would have pulled out. AKA the Jordan match. Surely she wasnt stupid enough to play if she was beyond recovery? Look at the Open in 88- she pulled out then when injured. And Kathy Jordan was more than capable of beating a slightly off Chris on any fast surface.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1551
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
DazeI dont doubt for a moment that Evert was ill. And it would have been tough for Sanchez Vicario to win if she had not been ill. However I still feel she could have done so. Evert was no longer the force on clay by 88 and Sanchez Vicario was on her way to becoming one of the greatest clay court players of her era. I havent seen the match but I guess that if Evert was that ill she would have pulled out. AKA the Jordan match. Surely she wasnt stupid enough to play if she was beyond recovery? Look at the Open in 88- she pulled out then when injured. And Kathy Jordan was more than capable of beating a slightly off Chris on any fast surface.
well, what happened is she had beaten sanchez in straight sets without much hassle a couple of weeks prior, and she was looking at the draw and saw a fairly easy flight to the semi if she could just pull through this match, which she saw as the toughest til those final 2 rounds when she hoped she'd feel better. so in that spirit, she went for it...

but sanchez did keep putting the ball back in play, and chris was down 1-6 1-5 and pulled a comeback almost identical to the previous slam, the 1988 AO final with graf, so she was sick... but some great will arose in her as always just before the final card was to be played, which ended up looking like it was a normal kind of set. but it was a total career oddity in reality.

she pulled out of the 88 us open BECAUSE of what happened in this match, knowing that if she wasnt at her best, it was not good enough anymore. In 1983, she could still afford to be a little more cocky about that kind of thing; she had never lost before the semi before so her expectations were different.

Last edited by daze11 : Jan 8th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1552
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
well, what happened is she had beaten sanchez in straight sets without much hassle a couple of weeks prior, and she was looking at the draw and saw a fairly easy flight to the semi if she could just pull through this match, which she saw as the toughest til those final 2 rounds when she hoped she'd feel better. so in that spirit, she went for it... but sanchez did keep putting the ball back in play, and chris was down 1-6 1-5 and pulled a comeback almost identical to the previous slam, the 1988 AO final with graf, so she was sick... but some great will arose in her as always just before the final card was to be played, which ended up looking like it was a normal kind of set.
DazeI had no idea of the context of the match, again what a remarkable fighter Evert was. I didnt realise that she was so far back against Sanchez Vicario that day. If she was ill I guess Sanchez would have been a nightmare with the ball constantly going back in play. Was it the Italian Open she beat her a few weeks before??
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1553
country flag daze11

Quote:
DazeI had no idea of the context of the match, again what a remarkable fighter Evert was. I didnt realise that she was so far back against Sanchez Vicario that day. If she was ill I guess Sanchez would have been a nightmare with the ball constantly going back in play. Was it the Italian Open she beat her a few weeks before??
eckert open on green hard tru.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1554
country flag iainmac

Quote:
eckert open on green hard tru.
That is understandable- I dont think though that Evert would have been so naieve as to think the match in Paris would be easy. Sanchez had quite a reputation by this time.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1555
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished reading "The Rivals" and have a newfound respect for Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, beyond their accomplishments. There will never be another Chris. There will be never another Martina. There will never be another rivalry to match this one - which is a shame.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1556
country flag daze11

Quote:
That is understandable- I dont think though that Evert would have been so naieve as to think the match in Paris would be easy. Sanchez had quite a reputation by this time.
no, the point is that she was impressed by sanchez when they played before, and thought she'd be the toughest match before the semis, so she wanted to just get it out of the way. but lke i said, mary claimed she'd never seen her look sicker, and said something to the effect of, 'between being on court or the hospital, i would choose the hospital'
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1557
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
I just finished reading "The Rivals" and have a newfound respect for Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, beyond their accomplishments. There will never be another Chris. There will be never another Martina. There will never be another rivalry to match this one - which is a shame.
yes, the good thing that came out of austin & jaeger's early career departures is that it allowed fans all over the world to focus on the two real stars. their balance of differences represented parallel opposing forces like no other, IMO. (though i do think mac & borg were a fair competing rivalry while it lasted!!)
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1558
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yes, the good thing that came out of austin & jaeger's early career departures is that it allowed fans all over the world to focus on the two real stars. their balance of differences represented parallel opposing forces like no other, IMO. (though i do think mac & borg were a fair competing rivalry while it lasted!!)
They were as different as two women could be, yet only they understood what the other one was going through. They always competed fiercely, had their ups and downs as in any normal relationship, but maintained a respect and closeness, and still do to this day. I can't think of any other tennis rivals by comparison, who have that. Court and King? Hell will freeze over first. Graf and Seles? Ditto. Hingis and Davenport? They were friendly, but not enough history or significance.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1559
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles View Post
It is a great book isnt it? Probably the best tennis one I have read.They are a remarkable pair of women and the rivalry will never be equalled I agree. And when one looks at the quality of their matches and relationship it is extraordinary. What a thrill it was for me to grow up watching tennis in their era.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #1560
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

Any of you notice that in Chris's usual letter in Tennis magazine in the new issue she has an ardent defense of Agassi? Including the fact that she also had matches she didn't want to win and didn't, and that he's found a peace of mind everyone would like to have (her access to peace of mind no doubt having been elusive given recent events). I've noticed despite all the coverage of Navratilova slamming him - without having read the book or having any info n a very Nav-like way - when the book came out, there's been no coverage I've seen of her also rather startling take on it.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote