Chris Evert Thread - Page 100 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Reply

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1486
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Interesting musings. However, one has to remember that Court was suffering at that Wimbledon with a virus (and a bad back I think) and really didn't have the energy to fight such a tough battle in that Semi against Evert. This was validated by the fact that Court beat Evert on clay in the French Open Final and also on grass at the USO and finally on hardcourt in the WITC Final. So Court definately had the wood on Evert in that season, and had she have been healthy I also believe she could well have won that Wimbledon Semi.

The other thing to note, is that prior to Court retiring to have her 2nd child, she was 4-4 in her clashes with Evert. She only faltered in her battles with Evert after coming back in 1975. No surprises there - after 2 births Court was just a shadow of her former self. At the end of 1973 Evert was interviewed in the WITC Finals and she said she always had really tough matches with Court. Whoever won usually won in a tight encounter. But she said she either won easily, or lost easily to King. And I think that was more surface related. So to suggest that others gave Evert a tougher time is not accurate.

Court was one of the few women (along with Richey) who could really push Evert in a baseline battle and it was a shame Court had to retire in 71 and 74 because I think their rivalry could have been a magic one during that time period if you look at the great clashes they had against each other in 1973:

1970 Charlotte, NC SF EVERT 7-6, 7-6
1972 Bonne Belle Cup EVERT 6-3, 6-3
1972 Indianapolis, IN SF EVERT 6-3, 7-6
1972 Newport, RI SF COURT 6-3, 6-0
1973 French Open F COURT 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
1973 Wimbledon SF EVERT 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
1973 U.S. Open SF COURT 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
1973 Hilton Head, SC Final COURT 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
CraigI totally agree, the runaway H2H was established after Court was at her peak. I dont think at all that Evert had easy matches with Margaret and when it came to BJK and Wade for example Evert most definitely did not struggle most of the time.I think the issue is that not enough people have actually seen much footage of Court at her best. I dont think there could be any question who was the better player if one was to sit and watch comparative matches of Chrissie and Margaret at their best.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1487
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
Perhaps a Certain Someone should instead focus more on UPDATING!!!!his tennis DVD listings. Heck, the "1981 Italian Open SF & F – Evert d. Collins 6-1 6-2/ d. Ruzici 6-1 6-2 (combined edit, 1 hour in Italian) NEW!" match DVD option was "new" back when Chris and John were still tradin' off with Kreik & Trish.
Hey I still cant get the thought of Kriek and Lloydie in a bed out of my head. Mind you Jeff I am much more interested in seeing them now that they are a little greyer and fuller of shape. And with Kriek what I am sure would be a very interesting and eminently strokeable greying chest hair!!!!!
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #1488
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis
 
tennisvideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,431
tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
CraigI totally agree, the runaway H2H was established after Court was at her peak. I dont think at all that Evert had easy matches with Margaret and when it came to BJK and Wade for example Evert most definitely did not struggle most of the time.I think the issue is that not enough people have actually seen much footage of Court at her best. I dont think there could be any question who was the better player if one was to sit and watch comparative matches of Chrissie and Margaret at their best.
I actually rate Court and Evert as my two all time #1 singles players, based on their overall career singles win/loss record and percentages. They lead the pack. And they also lead the pack in terms of Grand Slam winning % in singles.

Navratilova is without doubt the greatest Wimbledon champion, but all round I put Evert and Court ahead because they both proved themselves on all surfaces consistently. So there there is nothing much between them IMO.
__________________
Fave recent players: .. Seles .. Hingis .. Serena .. Venus .. Federer .. Roddick .. Hewitt .. Haas .. Rafter .. Safin .. Radwanska ..
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #1489
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I actually rate Court and Evert as my two all time #1 singles players, based on their overall career singles win/loss record and percentages. They lead the pack. And they also lead the pack in terms of Grand Slam winning % in singles.

Navratilova is without doubt the greatest Wimbledon champion, but all round I put Evert and Court ahead because they both proved themselves on all surfaces consistently. So there there is nothing much between them IMO.
i'm so glad we have been able to flush out the details of all these all-time great's records over the last 6 years in a way that brought so much 'obscured' information to light, so that less obvious choices could be seen through the haze of grand slam-only thinking and 'a couple of years of dominance'-only thinking. it is very rewarding.

Last edited by daze11 : Dec 5th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #1490
country flag BaselinersChrisE
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 28
BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough BaselinersChrisE is a jewel in the rough
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
Interesting musings. However, one has to remember that Court was suffering at that Wimbledon with a virus (and a bad back I think) and really didn't have the energy to fight such a tough battle in that Semi against Evert. This was validated by the fact that Court beat Evert on clay in the French Open Final and also on grass at the USO and finally on hardcourt in the WITC Final. So Court definately had the wood on Evert in that season, and had she have been healthy I also believe she could well have won that Wimbledon Semi.

The other thing to note, is that prior to Court retiring to have her 2nd child, she was 4-4 in her clashes with Evert. She only faltered in her battles with Evert after coming back in 1975. No surprises there - after 2 births Court was just a shadow of her former self. At the end of 1973 Evert was interviewed in the WITC Finals and she said she always had really tough matches with Court. Whoever won usually won in a tight encounter. But she said she either won easily, or lost easily to King. And I think that was more surface related. So to suggest that others gave Evert a tougher time is not accurate.

Court was one of the few women (along with Richey) who could really push Evert in a baseline battle and it was a shame Court had to retire in 71 and 74 because I think their rivalry could have been a magic one during that time period if you look at the great clashes they had against each other in 1973:

1970 Charlotte, NC SF EVERT 7-6, 7-6
1972 Bonne Belle Cup EVERT 6-3, 6-3
1972 Indianapolis, IN SF EVERT 6-3, 7-6
1972 Newport, RI SF COURT 6-3, 6-0
1973 French Open F COURT 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
1973 Wimbledon SF EVERT 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
1973 U.S. Open SF COURT 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
1973 Hilton Head, SC Final COURT 6-4, 6-7, 6-2
Hi tennisvideos thanks for such a great and informative posting. Sorry, but I still disagree and think Evert ranks above Court as the greatest singles player because although Court balanced up the record, remember Chrissie was nowhere near the peak of her powers and even then could challenge Court to tough three setters up to 73.

Also what I find intersting is that Chrissie performed well against Court, King & Goolagong on grass even though it was her worst surface. This was in a era when grass was the dominant surface and she was not that accomplished volleyer 71 -73. Wimby 74 - 76 showed how much she had improved. I really have enjoyed watching the emerging Chris Evert develop into a great champion during this period.

The players I would rate above Chris would be Wills Moody, Lenglen, Connolly, Graf, Navratilova & King because of their dominant Wimbledon singles records wins! Venus & Serena's records unfortunatley, could challenge Chrissie's record, although I don't feel they are consistent enough across the surfaces.

I also feel if Tracy's career had not been blighted so much she would easily have swung the Evert-Navratilova dominance, as in her heyday she hammered them both easily and until end 81 was a dominant force. Shame her career was cut short. At the time Tracy was not fully appreciated and looking back I am saddened how her career ended. I have noted that women's tennis is marred by short careers and bad luck: Connolly, Austin, Jaegar, Seles, Capriati and Lenglen to name but a few.

I do feel Court and Evert are similar in their mental attitude and demeanour on the the tennis court. Neither had the histrionics of King or Navratilova - who quite frankly used to irritate me with their glares, scowles, fist-pumping and jumping up and down at times!

Watching Margaret play I felt she was a very respectful player of the opponent. Although, in her biography she was was not very complimentary of Maria Bueno, implying Maria was a bad loser. Chris and Margaret both seemed to be very cool and calm about the court. Also they played with grace and style. Chris had a lot of respect for Margaret but rates her above BJK in her 82 biography, putting her money on BJK to win in their matches. Margaret also in Virginia Wade's Ladies of the Court 1985, says of Chris, "...she will go down in history as a great player, so many records and match winning streaks, that alone tells the class of the player"

It is okay to agree to disagree! That is the interesting thing about reflections on rankings and players If we all agree it would be boring! Also it is nice to get different opinions on these postings and I have really enjoyed communicating with Chris Evert Enthusiasts and other tennis fans.
BaselinersChrisE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1491
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselinersChrisE View Post
Hi tennisvideos thanks for such a great and informative posting. Sorry, but I still disagree and think Evert ranks above Court as the greatest singles player because although Court balanced up the record, remember Chrissie was nowhere near the peak of her powers and even then could challenge Court to tough three setters up to 73.
that is certainly undeniable... all court wins occur before evert is even a grand slam winner, which is not the confident evert that she would have faced mid-'74 or 1975... which is an enormous jump in ability on chrissie's end of the court. ...end of the 'court'....
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #1492
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,526
Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I actually rate Court and Evert as my two all time #1 singles players, based on their overall career singles win/loss record and percentages. They lead the pack. And they also lead the pack in terms of Grand Slam winning % in singles.

Navratilova is without doubt the greatest Wimbledon champion, but all round I put Evert and Court ahead because they both proved themselves on all surfaces consistently. So there there is nothing much between them IMO.
The sad thing is that Chrissie herself is far too modest about her own achievements. On the tennis tv website there's an interview with Navratilova and they ask her if she's the best player of all time. She says, "It would be hard to say no. I feel that at my best I was better than anyone else. I was as fast as anybody, I was as strong as anybody and I had more shots. Steffi Graf says that I'm the greatest, so who am I to argue?" When during a conversation with Connors he asked her whether she would have been afraid to take on the Williams sisters she said, "Absolutely not."

Compared to Martina Chrissie does a rather poor job of selling herself in my opinion. Asked about how she would do against the current players the answer is always something like, "the're bigger and stronger than me, I doubt if I would be in the top 10" and more of that kinda talk. Part of that no doubt has to do with the fact that she wants to put womens tennis, and thus also the current players in as positive a light as possible, but it's nevertheless a bit annoying. If anything, seems to me that if both Martina and Chrissie were to play today that Martina as a serve and volleyer would have a lot more adjusting to do than Chris.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1493
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
The sad thing is that Chrissie herself is far too modest about her own achievements. On the tennis tv website there's an interview with Navratilova and they ask her if she's the best player of all time. She says, "It would be hard to say no. I feel that at my best I was better than anyone else. I was as fast as anybody, I was as strong as anybody and I had more shots. Steffi Graf says that I'm the greatest, so who am I to argue?" When during a conversation with Connors he asked her whether she would have been afraid to take on the Williams sisters she said, "Absolutely not."

Compared to Martina Chrissie does a rather poor job of selling herself in my opinion. Asked about how she would do against the current players the answer is always something like, "the're bigger and stronger than me, I doubt if I would be in the top 10" and more of that kinda talk. Part of that no doubt has to do with the fact that she wants to put womens tennis, and thus also the current players in as positive a light as possible, but it's nevertheless a bit annoying. If anything, seems to me that if both Martina and Chrissie were to play today that Martina as a serve and volleyer would have a lot more adjusting to do than Chris.
i too wish chris would just fight with facts and stay clear of conjecture as a way of discussing her place in history, but again, she thinks its almost obscene to have a record that most players cant even begin to dream about much less live, and therefore to fight for extra shreds of credit after the fact...she's just not going to do that.

chris serves on over 12 boards for incredible causes, but how many does the public know about? almost none. she is extremely generous but does not like to take credit for things. again, she has had enough spotlight on her to satiate every bit of 'pay attention to me' impulse she will ever have.

i figured out a while back that we cant love her for her modesty and graciousness, and then be too irritated by it when those qualities dont produce the results WE want. she has ALWAYS let her tennis do the talking. she didnt question line calls either; she let everyone else worry about that...she got on with winning. this issue is a reflection of that.

martina on the other hand will eat your hand if you stick it near her 'record collection' as it were... having seen both up close, i can tell you i prefer chrissie's non-desperate approach. ...though like i said, i do wish she would simply use facts to non-braggardly state her case.

it should be noted martina may have been an only child? chrissie has 4 siblings who were all ranked junior champions, so she is more sensitive to not rubbing her accomplishments in people's faces because of the diplomacy she had to show at home.

but she's also just not an ego-maniac. on a retirement program in 1989, she said, "people tell me how much i've done for tennis but i always want to say 'look at what tennis has done for me.' i was a shy little girl in a small town and it got me traveling all around the world, being exposed to different cultures, lifestyles, and ideas... so if I could be remembered in the same breath as billie jean king and margaret court, i am thrilled with that."

Last edited by daze11 : Dec 6th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #1494
pinapin54
Senior Member
 
pinapin54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 570
pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all pinapin54 is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Chris Evert Day on the Tennis Channel, this Wed Dec 9: 7:30 PM - 'The Evert Era' 8 PM - 1986 French Open final - Evert d. Navratilova 11 PM - 'Only at the Open: Chris Evert' (special made earlier this year)
pinapin54 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1495
country flag Bahia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,793
Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future Bahia has a brilliant future
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Great to see!
Bahia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #1496
country flag Wimbledon9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 393
Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Martina has a sister who is 6,7 years younger she also played tennis but had difficulties with the authorities after Martina defected so Martina is not an only child although Jana is her halfsister but do not mention it to both of them they are sisters after all they have the same mother and that is the most important.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1497
country flag daze11
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,076
daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
Martina has a sister who is 6,7 years younger she also played tennis but had difficulties with the authorities after Martina defected so Martina is not an only child although Jana is her halfsister but do not mention it to both of them they are sisters after all they have the same mother and that is the most important.
interesting... but ok, far enough in years where she probably didnt have to worry about stepping on her sibling's toes! though it sounds like not an easy situation anyway.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #1498
country flag DennisFitz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 559
DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
that is certainly undeniable... all court wins occur before evert is even a grand slam winner, which is not the confident evert that she would have faced mid-'74 or 1975... which is an enormous jump in ability on chrissie's end of the court. ...end of the 'court'....
Agree! Evert was able to challenge, and beat Court, even though Margaret was well established as the best player in the world in the first half of the 1970s. Injury or not, Evert was still the only player to beat Margaret in a major in 1973. And it was on grass as well. Two of Evert's losses in majors that year were to Court - both tough 3 setters. Evert certainly could and should have wont he French final. And Margaret was the better grass courter, so it was not a surprise that Court beat her at Forest Hills.

But they were 12 years apart in age, so they would never have been able to compete against each other during their primes.

The main reason I rate Evert above Court is this: Both won "only" 3 Wimbledon titles. Chris has always felt she should have won more. But seriously, Evert played in the Court/Goolagong/King/Navratilova era. She beat every one of them at Wimbledon. Margaret had Bueno, King, and Anne Jones to contend with. But i felt Margaret came up short in a venue you would have expected her to win more, considering she hardly ever lost on grass Down Under, and also copped 5 titles at Forest Hills, and dozens of other grass court events.

Finally, I will continue to challenge any assessment that would have had Tracy Austin challenging the Evert/Navratilova duo in the 1980s. Tracy - apart from her little streak against Chris in late 1979/early 1980 - never dominated those two. Even if she didn't have injuries her body would never have been able to survive the onslaught of power that came with graphite racquets. Austin was really a player from the wood generation.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #1499
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I actually rate Court and Evert as my two all time #1 singles players, based on their overall career singles win/loss record and percentages. They lead the pack. And they also lead the pack in terms of Grand Slam winning % in singles.

Navratilova is without doubt the greatest Wimbledon champion, but all round I put Evert and Court ahead because they both proved themselves on all surfaces consistently. So there there is nothing much between them IMO.
CraigEvert to me is the GOAT for consistency on all surfaces. But I do feel that there was little chance of Court or Navratilova being beaten at their very best while Evert could be defeated by an in form Goolagong, BJK, Navratilova, Mandlikova, Wade. IMO of course.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1500
country flag iainmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselinersChrisE View Post
Hi tennisvideos thanks for such a great and informative posting. Sorry, but I still disagree and think Evert ranks above Court as the greatest singles player because although Court balanced up the record, remember Chrissie was nowhere near the peak of her powers and even then could challenge Court to tough three setters up to 73.

Also what I find intersting is that Chrissie performed well against Court, King & Goolagong on grass even though it was her worst surface. This was in a era when grass was the dominant surface and she was not that accomplished volleyer 71 -73. Wimby 74 - 76 showed how much she had improved. I really have enjoyed watching the emerging Chris Evert develop into a great champion during this period.

The players I would rate above Chris would be Wills Moody, Lenglen, Connolly, Graf, Navratilova & King because of their dominant Wimbledon singles records wins! Venus & Serena's records unfortunatley, could challenge Chrissie's record, although I don't feel they are consistent enough across the surfaces.

I also feel if Tracy's career had not been blighted so much she would easily have swung the Evert-Navratilova dominance, as in her heyday she hammered them both easily and until end 81 was a dominant force. Shame her career was cut short. At the time Tracy was not fully appreciated and looking back I am saddened how her career ended. I have noted that women's tennis is marred by short careers and bad luck: Connolly, Austin, Jaegar, Seles, Capriati and Lenglen to name but a few.

I do feel Court and Evert are similar in their mental attitude and demeanour on the the tennis court. Neither had the histrionics of King or Navratilova - who quite frankly used to irritate me with their glares, scowles, fist-pumping and jumping up and down at times!

Watching Margaret play I felt she was a very respectful player of the opponent. Although, in her biography she was was not very complimentary of Maria Bueno, implying Maria was a bad loser. Chris and Margaret both seemed to be very cool and calm about the court. Also they played with grace and style. Chris had a lot of respect for Margaret but rates her above BJK in her 82 biography, putting her money on BJK to win in their matches. Margaret also in Virginia Wade's Ladies of the Court 1985, says of Chris, "...she will go down in history as a great player, so many records and match winning streaks, that alone tells the class of the player"

It is okay to agree to disagree! That is the interesting thing about reflections on rankings and players If we all agree it would be boring! Also it is nice to get different opinions on these postings and I have really enjoyed communicating with Chris Evert Enthusiasts and other tennis fans.
That was a fantastic and persuasive post, and you are right. What Evert achieved on grass in her salad days on the surface was remarkable. And you make a point I have been labouring without success for some time here. There is NOWHERE near enough respect for Tracy Austin. There would not have been a two way Navratilova and Evert battle if she had been around and fit in the 80s.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios