Organisers back down from food fight - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #1
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Organisers back down from food fight

-Open-Organisers back down from food fight

By Ossian Shine

NEW YORK, Aug 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Open officials have backed down from a food fight with tennis fans after a revolt by visitors to the $17.1 million grand slam.

Security guards at Flushing Meadows had forced hundreds of fans, workers and players to dump their lunches at the gate before finally bowing to protest and allowing the picnicking to proceed.

Former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash was one who was forced to throw food away at the gate to the National Tennis Center on Monday.

In past years, security officers confiscated bottles, cans and drinks coolers but not food. This year, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) had expanded the ban to include fans' lunches.

But after a series of complaints from furious fans, Open officials consigned the ban to the dustbin.

"The fans spoke, and we responded," USTA Vice President David Newman said. "We always strive to create a fan-friendly environment."

Many fans believed the ban was a cynical ploy to force spectators to buy food at the venue.

Stalls were charging $18.50 for a triple-decker sandwich at Flushing Meadows while a turkey wrap is priced at $9 and French fries cost $6.50
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #2
country flag Mrs. Peel

Mrs. Peel has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001
-

Stalls were charging $18.50 for a triple-decker sandwich at Flushing Meadows while a turkey wrap is priced at $9 and French fries cost $6.50

That is a damn shame in this economy to make people throw away their food! I would raise soooo much hell....$18.50 for a god-damn sandwich!
Mrs. Peel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:42 PM   #3
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Yes that is ridiculous!

I believe at the FCC, they are going to try to prevent people from leaving the stadium. You already can't bring food or drink in which is fine because you can leave and go to your car and get your eat on. However, this year they decided to say you can't leave and you should've heard the cussing out those people got.

I mean a 12oz cup of lemonade was running $5 and then you factor in a session lasting from 10am to 6pm that is ridiculous. The food was like $6 or $7 for a dry and I mean bone dry cold cut sandwich.

I'm going to be upset if they prevent me from going to the subway accross the street.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #4
billie_jean_king

billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice
Shit! Little does everyone know that I was doing a deal with the USTA and bagging the left-behind food.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #5
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
and how the fuck is Wimbledon made out to be the most expensive slam?!?!?!

it looks like when i go to Flushing Meadows next year () im gonna eat non stop for weeks beforehand
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #6
country flag KoOlMaNsEaN
Team WTAworld

KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute
holy fuck is that expensive!

Ana Ivanovic, Serena Williams, Eugenie Bouchard

KoOlMaNsEaN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #7
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Wimbledon is expensive but nowhere near these ridiculous prices. And you can bring as much food as you want (at least in 2000).

Throwing away food it doesn't get any more stupid. One more reason I will never plan a trip to the 4th best Grand Slam tournament.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #8
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
"We always strive to create a fan-friendly environment."

Yeah, these prices are soooo friendly.

What was the official reasoning for taking away the people's food ?
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #9
country flag decemberlove

decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute
its expensive, but not totally out of the range of regular sporting events and entertainment events (concerts, movies, etc). the difference is, tennis can be an all day thing, unlike other sports or some concerts.

the fact that they made people throw away their food is ridiculous. what if people dont want to eat that processed crap or have specific diets? i dont have that much of a problem with the prices if they allow food in. oh well, see what an outraged group of people can do? too bad we cant apply that anger to other areas. then again, nothing is more important to an american than their food.

....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.

decemberlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #10
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
I thought this was about a real food fight.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #11
country flag Mrs. Peel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
Yes that is ridiculous!

I believe at the FCC, they are going to try to prevent people from leaving the stadium. You already can't bring food or drink in which is fine because you can leave and go to your car and get your eat on. However, this year they decided to say you can't leave and you should've heard the cussing out those people got.

I mean a 12oz cup of lemonade was running $5 and then you factor in a session lasting from 10am to 6pm that is ridiculous. The food was like $6 or $7 for a dry and I mean bone dry cold cut sandwich.

I'm going to be upset if they prevent me from going to the subway accross the street.

Girl, you sound like me....I'll be the the first to have some peanuts or a sammich wrapped in some foil tucked down in my purse...
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #12
country flag decemberlove

decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Peel
Girl, you sound like me....I'll be the the first to have some peanuts or a sammich wrapped in some foil tucked down in my purse...
i have a huge purse, and when i go to the movies i bring in my own water and snacks.

fuck paying 6.50 for a large drink and 3.50 for a bag of small skittles.

....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.

decemberlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #13
country flag Mrs. Peel

Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
i have a huge purse, and when i go to the movies i bring in my own water and snacks.

fuck paying 6.50 for a large drink and 3.50 for a bag of small skittles.

I hear that girlfriend...I always bring my snacks in the movies...if I paid $13.50 to get in they won't get another dime from me...if you hear a can of soda popping in the front...it's me lol
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #14
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Peel
or an entire Wendy's single combo.........
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #15
country flag Mrs. Peel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
or an entire Wendy's single combo.........
ROTF! ok...that helped end a long workday with a big smile...lololol