2R:Mary Pierce v Jelena Dokic:battle of the blondes. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:50 AM   #1
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
Talking 2R:Mary Pierce v Jelena Dokic:battle of the blondes.

Jelena Dokic leads their head-to-head 3:1.

Jelena DOKIC (YUG) v Mary PIERCE (FRA)
1999 Wimbledon Grass (O) 16 Jelena DOKIC 6-4 6-3
2000 Hilton Head Clay (O) QF Mary PIERCE 3-6 1-6
2002 Amelia Island Clay (O) 32 Jelena DOKIC 6-2 6-0
2002 Berlin Clay (O) 32 Jelena DOKIC 1-6 6-3 6-1

Jelena seems to be playing better tennis especially against lower ranked players beating Shaughnessy 6-4 6-2 last week but succombing to Lindsay's power 2-6 1-6. The week before it was the same story beating Widjaja 6-4 6-4 then losing to Rubin in 3 sets after starting the match 6-1.[i]In her last two tournaments Jelenas only lost to higher ranked opponents and I think the trend should continue here.[i/]

I predict Jelena in 2 tough sets. Jelena always seems to raise her game in the big events ie Wimby, hasnt been losing to lower ranked players lately, and has a good record against Mary who i think plays a similar game but covers the court worse.

It could be the best match in the 2r and a real nail-bitter. Hope they produce the goods cos the first few rounds are usually boring, one-sided affairs..
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:12 AM   #2
country flag ~RedRose~

~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts
They firstly have to both get there ... but if Jelena can win her first match, I rekon she will can this one.
~RedRose~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:37 AM   #3
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
if mary plays like she did at wimbledon she has a good chance of beating jelena imo. but mary hasn't been playing quite as well as what she was at wimbledon and i agree that as the year gets on jelena is starting to do better. it should be a pretty good match but it could also be a very bad match full of unforced errors.

i agree i think jelena would get through this match.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:18 AM   #4
country flag Couver
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute Couver has a reputation beyond repute
Oh I like them both, but I'm going to cheer for Mary. She's older and I guess she doesn't have as much time left as Jelena, so if she gets there I hope she gets a win.

If she played like she did in the 1st round of the AT&T cup, everyone better watch out!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:27 AM   #5
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute Jeff has a reputation beyond repute
I like Mary a lot...of course Dokic more, but still

Anyway, I don't see Mary having a chance against Dokic. Why? Because with Jelena's style of play, and Mary's poor court coverage, Jelena will have Mary tired out in no time, and although Mary has big shots as well, I just don't see her taking control of the match. Jelena will win in straights if this match does happen.

Jeff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:41 AM   #6
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
jeff i agree but if mary was fitter than jelena she would annihilate jelena...mary has a GREAT serve compared to Jelena, more consistency and power on the groundies due to more spin, and can volley!

If Mary comes out there in top form she has the bigger game than jelena and this will conpensate for her fitness, but i doubt shell be at top form.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:53 AM   #7
Instant

Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point Instant is an unknown quantity at this point
I think there is a Huge chance that neither player will get to the 2nd round. If they do, Mary in a canter
Instant is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM   #8
PierceCheng

PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve PierceCheng can only hope to improve
Question My hope

I certainly hope Mary Pierce can defeat Jelena Dokic in second round of U.S. open (but firstly she must defeat Slovenian Katarina Srebotnik in first round) to revenge the following competiton:
  • 2002 Amelia Island 6-2 6-0
  • 2002 Berlin 1-6 6-3 6-1

Good luck, Mary Pierce!!

Last edited by PierceCheng : Aug 23rd, 2003 at 11:49 AM.
PierceCheng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:08 AM   #9
country flag SM

Mary has drawn a player i havent even heard of. Jelena always thrashes Emmanuelle and did so at Wimbledon 2 and 1.

Atleast when you make statements please try to back them up!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM   #10
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
i think the outcome of this match, which is more likely to occur with srebotnik being seeded now, really depends on which mary and jelena rock up. pierce hasn't had a great summer, but at the same time she has lost her matches in tight encounters and usually to opponents who go further in the tournament (eg raymond pushed capriati all the way and suarez went desperately close to the final in canada).

i tend to think that if the pierce who beat daniilidou at wimbledon this year turns up then she has the upper hand. you can't really compare mary to widjaja or shaughnessy because she has so much more ability than they do, it's just a matter of whether she brings it to the court or not.

of course jelena also has a lot more ability than she has been showing, so it really is one of those matches that seem a bit futile to attempt to predict an outcome for.

it will be an exciting match to watch. although i guess i should be hoping emanuelle gets through because she's swiss, but to honest i would hate to see dokic lose to her.
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:49 PM   #11
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
I think Mary will win in straight sets. She is showing a lot of improvement this year from last year, 2002 was a pretty bad year for her, and two of those defeats are from that year. I think Mary can make a good run at the US Open this year, possibly make the QF with her draw.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:53 PM   #12
country flag PointBlank
Team WTAworld

PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute PointBlank has a reputation beyond repute
to tell ya'll the tuth ive never had and interst in either of them (maybe because i dont watch them) but i think at the moment mary has a better game the Jelena who is just slowly falling down in the rankings and i think Jelena is getting a case of the jenny's who also chokes in 3s matches
PointBlank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:59 PM   #13
country flag vutt
Team WTAworld

vutt has disabled reputation
It's probably will be all about Jelena and damn UEs. Sure Mary has big game, but Jelena's mindset will make the dif.
vutt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:38 PM   #14
country flag Tompier

Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all Tompier is a name known to all
MARY VS Jelena

It could be a good match for sure. For me the favourite is still Mary. Yes Jelena leads in head to head but two of that matches took place during Mary's health problems. I sow that match in Hilton Head where Mary crusched Jelena. I agree that Mary isn't the best runner but i also think she would be the one who would dominate. With her big shots She can easily "kill" Jelena who isn't a great runner either and considering power of the game Dokic could learn much from Mary.
ANYWAY
Good LUCK MARY
Jelena I am sorry
Tompier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:46 PM   #15
country flag polishprodigy

polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute
Umm...this match is not even for sure yet, and with Jelena's "outstanding" play as of late, an upset could be in the making in r1.
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote