Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 08:55 AM   #106
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Here's the 81-82 look

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:23 AM   #107
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Rollo hehehe
Old Dec 21st, 2002, 10:02 AM   #108
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
My pleasure Sam. I miss the likes of Martina, Novotna, King, and Wade. The volley today is only a "finishing" shot and serve and volley non-existent. Tennis is poorer for it.
Old Dec 21st, 2002, 10:46 PM   #109
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Yes, that first picture looks like it's the Australian Open. I think that is a Marlboro sign behind Martina. It would have to be 1984 as her 1983 Puma outfit was different.

The next photo would have to be Wimbledon 1987. It was the same outfit as 1986 but the racquet does not look like the Yonex she played with in 1986. So it must be 1987 when she temporarily switched to the Dunlop.

The b&w photo of her celebrating is probably from Wimbledon 1986 after beating Mandlikova.

The U.S. Open photo with the trophy is from 1986 after beating Helena Sukova.

The photo with the brown skirt and headband is likely the 1988 Virginia Slims of New England in Worcester, Mass. where she beat Natalia Zvereva in the final.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2002, 11:54 PM   #110
country flag TennisFan75

TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold
Some of my Martina Pics...

A tv show interview in 1982

Her photo from the 1975 Virgina Slims Media Guide

Martina and Steffi on a practice court at the Open.. prolly 86?

Jay
TennisFan75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:01 AM   #111
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Nice photos, Jay. The 1982 one from her appearance on "The Tonight Show" is great.

Btw, do the moderators (Brian, Rollo, others??) have access to change the title of threads? It pains me greatly that the title of this thread is the "MARTINA NARATILOVA ADMIRATION THREAD". It's bad enough that her non-fans can't spell her name. But we can certainly do better than that...

So if someone could please change the title, you have my sincere thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:41 AM   #112
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I changed it for you.

Nice pics TennisFan
Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:25 PM   #113
country flag way

way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts
Zummi:
It's bad enough that her non-fans can't spell her name. But we can certainly do better than that...

Way:

Hey, Zummi, you don't have to be a fan to HAVE to be able to spell correctly the name of the great Martina!
You know i'm not a fan of hers, but a great admirer, YES, I AM!!!

Ps. tongue-in-cheek:
and if the gm threads about present players being stronger than the alltime greats keep on going, i think I WILL become a fan, yes!

Martina Navratilova can be discussed and even disliked for what she says and represents.
You can doubt her status if you consider only singles.
But if you don't appreciate her game, if you don't understand the "poetry" of her serve and volley, if you don't feel nostalgic of her times when you watch today's tennis (let alone you can't spell her name) well, you're not a "non-fan", you're a troll.
way is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:52 PM   #114
Zummi

Thanks for changing the title.

way, I've branded people as trolls & haters many times before and sometimes, I might have been too quick to do that. It took me a while to realize that not everyone liked Martina and when they criticized her record or character, I shouldn't have been taking it personally. I'm happy to know you are an admirer. It guess it is possible to admire or respect someone without being a fan.
Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:48 PM   #115
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
That Aus Open pic is definitely Kooyong in 84.
83 she had a aqua and brown Puma outfit!!

Unfortunately Australians were a bit cold to Martina during her dominant period. One time Shriver and Martina beat a young impressive doubles team Kodhe/Pfaff in a final at Brisbane (or Sydney) and the crowd were so pro the young team that when Pam and Martina excepted their trophy some of the crowd booed! A bit suprising as Pam was much loved in Oz.
Martina said quite indignantly (and rightly) on the microphone 'Why are you booing, we didn't cheat'.

Another time she won a set at Kooyong very easily and there was silence. Martina motioned to the crowd to clap her set win!!!

As it's normal for Australians to root for the underdog it's a pity that her achievements weren't acknowledged more because we didn't see much of her towards the end of her career.

However, she maybe be back for the Oz Open!!! We are lucky!
Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:06 AM   #116
Zummi

Martina had said that she prefered the Rebound Ace hardcourts at the Australian Open to the Deco-turf at the U.S. Open because they were a lot easier on the body. She said if the Australian Open was held just a month later, she would have played there "in a heartbeat." It was just that at her age (she was 33 when she stopped playing in Australia), she needed a longer off-season period. After the tour championships in November, she usually spent the next couple of weeks playing the unavoidable exhibitions and just as that got done, it was time for the Australian season again. She couldn't handle that and felt skipping the season was the only option.

I hope her reception will be a lot better this visit. Perhaps she will find a few new fans.
Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:21 AM   #117
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The switch from grass to rebound ace was a bad piece of luck for Martina. Who knows how many more slams (even if one or two) she might have won at Kooyong. Graf's 1988 would have been a LOT harder IMO had it stayed on grass that year.

I wish it had been possible to keep grass in Oz. The Aussies have never been as strong after the switch on the ladies side, and with 3 of 4 slams on slow surfaces serve and volley has died in the women's game. Martina was the last of the great serve and volleyers, and that's a shame.
Old Dec 25th, 2002, 01:57 AM   #118
Zummi

More than that, I think she would have won a couple more had she played in Australia in the late-70s. The same with Evert at Roland Garros. Both their Slam totals are incomplete b/c of this.
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:03 AM   #119
Zummi

Back in Australia after a 14-year absence

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #120
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

OMG what a cute pic!

I think you're right about Chris and Martina perhaps missing out on some slams from the French and Aussie. It's thanks to them that the two events regained the status they enjoy today.