Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 59 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM   #871
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

This was posted in the GM, very interesting.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/...-moment/45361/
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 06:27 PM   #872
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Petronius!

An excellent article with the added bonus of footage from the match. This might well be my favorite Evert-Navratilova match.

Martina had the crowd on her side in the final vs Austin, something that didn't happen for her again at the US Open until many years later.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #873
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Another nice article :http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...a-navratilova/
It took 32 years ,now she receives the praises
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #874
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Elena Dementieva/Martina Navratilova won their first match in the Legends Event at the French Open they defeated M.J.Fernandes/Aranxta Sanchez 6-4 6-3
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #875
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Martina Navratilova received her replica of the then called Federation Cup at the ITF World Champions Dinner.
This is a very special one won for Czechoslovakia in 1975, Martina won this cup with 2 other players but she was already then at 18 the leading player.
She did this about two months before she defected. I can see why she did get the replica in Paris because now two countries are involved the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

More replica's have been given to players in the last year it is for the older Fed Cups when players did not yet get replica's.
I think Martina to this day is still the only player to have won either the Fed Cup or Davis cup for two different countries.
So far no better picture then this.

https://twitter.com/ITF_Tennis/statu...230720/photo/1

Last edited by Wimbledon9 : Jun 5th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #876
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
Martina Navratilova received her replica of the then called Federation Cup at the ITF World Champions Dinner.
This is a very special one won for Czechoslovakia in 1975, Martina won this cup with 2 other players but she was already then at 18 the leading player.
She did this about two months before she defected. I can see why she did get the replica in Paris because now two countries are involved the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

More replica's have been given to players in the last year it is for the older Fed Cups when players did not yet get replica's.
I think Martina to this day is still the only player to have won either the Fed Cup or Davis cup for two different countries.
So far no better picture then this.

https://twitter.com/ITF_Tennis/statu...230720/photo/1
Thanks for the post .It's refreshing back from GM and the Serena fans ,Some of them are awful haters. That's why i wasn't there for a while .I'm too old for this kind of stuff ,but to see Martina trashed like a b... was painful for a long term fan .Hopefuly she's on tweeter and nice enough for tweeting with us
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #877
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Martina to this day is still the only player to have won either the Fed Cup or Davis cup for two different countries
For certes she is the only one to do so in Fed Cup.

I imagine no one has done it in Davis Cup either, but not certain.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #878
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

My two all-time faves are kicking butt.

Lena and Martina.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #879
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
For certes she is the only one to do so in Fed Cup.

I imagine no one has done it in Davis Cup either, but not certain.
It's funny, but Martina's switching of nationalities is nothing compared to this guy, who competed at Wimbledon under FOUR different national identities, winning it in 1954 for Egypt (still remains the only Wimbly title for Africa).

Not to mention that he was also the 1947 world champion in ice-hockey, scoring hat-trick in the decisive game over USA
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #880
KV

KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute KV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
Thanks for the post .It's refreshing back from GM and the Serena fans ,Some of them are awful haters. That's why i wasn't there for a while .I'm too old for this kind of stuff ,but to see Martina trashed like a b... was painful for a long term fan .Hopefuly she's on tweeter and nice enough for tweeting with us
I know it's impossible to compare generations, but if I have to give marks on every shot of the game. Martina is clearly ahead of Serena. I'd give Martina this marks
Serve 10/10
volley 10/10
return 9.5/10
forehand 9.5/10
backhand 9.5/10
footwork 10/10
smash 10/10
Don't think Serena will get this marks overall. BTW this marks were given in the magasin Tennis en France I think. Not sure who gave her the marks. Think it's from a coach of one of the top french players.
KV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #881
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
It's funny, but Martina's switching of nationalities is nothing compared to this guy, who competed at Wimbledon under FOUR different national identities, winning it in 1954 for Egypt (still remains the only Wimbly title for Africa).
The continent of Africa has produced several Wimbledon doubles championships, including Eric Sturgess, Sheila Summers, Frew McMillan, Greer Stevens and Cara Black, but, as yet, no singles champions.
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Aug 5th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #882
country flag GHFB

GHFB is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=Petronius;22247221]You're welcome. I'm from Prague, the capital city.

Although Martina was born in Prague, they shortly afterwards moved to a little town of Řevnice (just 6 km from Prague). The local tennis club where she developed her amazing skills now bears her name. The club was founded as early as in 1902.

Hi Petronius,

Does this link show the Revnice tennis club? http://tennis.isport.com/tennis-cour...1914#summary??
GHFB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #883
country flag Petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHFB View Post
Hi Petronius,

Does this link show the Revnice tennis club? http://tennis.isport.com/tennis-cour...1914#summary??
Yes, your link is perfectly correct, the club's situated on Legií Street No. 750

Here's a nice bird's eye view from Czech maps: http://www.mapy.cz/#!q=LTC%2520%25C5...49.912744&z=17

You can also get there by clicking on Kontakt (i.e. Contact Details) on the club's official website http://www.ltcrevnice.cz/

Enjoy.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #884
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

I played in the Prague GLTA tennis tournament earlier this year and was lucky enough to visit Revnice and see the club Martina first played in. Gave me goosebumps. IT was the 2nd greatest moment in my Martina adulation after meeting her.

I havent visited since October 2012 so just wanted to say Hello to all my fellow Martina fans.
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #885
country flag Wimbledon9

Hi Philbo, great that you visited Martina's tennisclub. I remember the sweet story when you saw Martina in Australia.