Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 56 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:07 PM   #826
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Hi Daze-without knowing all the details we can't be 100% what the legal basis for the lawsuit was. It definitely sounds like extortion to me too, but legally the basis for the suit may have been the fact that they lived together for so long. If my old memory is correct the first major "palimony' suit I can recall was Clint Eastwood and his live-in girlfriend back in the 1980s. Then of course came Billie Jean's case.

And of course the US being what it is a lot of laws come down to what state you're in too. And married or not-pre-nup or not the richer/wealthier partner is at risk financially. Martina saved herself some money in earlier breakups by ironically citing the fact that she wasn't legally married to her partners.

Surely a sensible solution would be some kind of cap in cases like this. If you are a sort of housewife or househusband withouth kids does that mean you're entitled to haslf your partners earnings? Me thinks not.

Anyhow it sounds like good riddance on her part.

I agree with Pat's theory--find someone who has a life and livihood of their own. Just be careful about marrying another star where egos can collide-Greg Norman and Chris Evert was a spectacular disaster-I wonder if Chris ever wishes she had stayed with Andy Mills.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #827
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hi Daze-without knowing all the details we can't be 100% what the legal basis for the lawsuit was. It definitely sounds like extortion to me too, but legally the basis for the suit may have been the fact that they lived together for so long. If my old memory is correct the first major "palimony' suit I can recall was Clint Eastwood and his live-in girlfriend back in the 1980s. Then of course came Billie Jean's case.

And of course the US being what it is a lot of laws come down to what state you're in too. And married or not-pre-nup or not the richer/wealthier partner is at risk financially. Martina saved herself some money in earlier breakups by ironically citing the fact that she wasn't legally married to her partners.

Surely a sensible solution would be some kind of cap in cases like this. If you are a sort of housewife or househusband withouth kids does that mean you're entitled to haslf your partners earnings? Me thinks not.

Anyhow it sounds like good riddance on her part.

I agree with Pat's theory--find someone who has a life and livihood of their own. Just be careful about marrying another star where egos can collide-Greg Norman and Chris Evert was a spectacular disaster-I wonder if Chris ever wishes she had stayed with Andy Mills.
I think the law needs a harness... if I was with someone whose wealth afforded me a lifestyle well above what I was used to, I'd say 'what a blessing that was' for me to have that access. But unless you get married (which is the 'sticky red tape' of relationships) I think it's criminal to have 'palimony' exist.. why is the LAW protecting people from LIFE in all it's twists & turns? "Pathetic" is a word that comes to mind.

I dont think Chris wishes she were with Andy -- my theory is they BOTH wanted to get out of a situation they felt trapped by but were not brave enough to just end... so they found in each other the excuse they needed to make the changes in their life they wanted. What we're not willing to deal with in our conscious mind, our unconscious mind usually does a pretty good job of finding an answer for. But that's Chrissie, not Martina... Personally, I'm really impressed with the way Martina has matured and come into her own as a woman. And she seems pretty grounded for someone who has lived all their adult life surrounded by handlers.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #828
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Personally, I'm really impressed with the way Martina has matured and come into her own as a woman. And she seems pretty grounded for someone who has lived all their adult life surrounded by handlers.
Me too. She was basically cut off from her support system as a teen and went it alone. That could have destroyed someone less resilient.

In updating the 1979 results thread I came across the story of her grandmother coming to visit in Dallas-the first time Martina had seen ANY member fo her family in over 3 years. Having been there myself, I can understand how hard that must have been to go through. And of course in Martina's case she must have wondered if she would EVER see her family again.

Martina's grandmother was a big hit in the US. The thing that excited the tiny 84 year old the most was meeting her idol-Chis Evert!
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #829
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

I agree with all the arguments about gay "divorce", and I fell especially outraged by that woman getting 3 million from Martina (or anyone in her position) just for breaking up. And her comments on "skeleton", yes it is EXTORTION, from a nauseating kind. So you love someone but when you break up you can go and put her skeletons for all to see, that's so dignified... give me a break. But of course these people (this kind of exs) don't have any dignity, they're mere gold diggers, mental prostitutes who give in their integrity for money. Too sad... so Martina should have stayed in a dead relationship out of fear of getting robbed like that? And the poor other woman was forced to become Martina's girlfriend, she was forced to leave her man or whatever, so she has to get money for her "loss"? It's really outrageous.
As a lawyer myself, I do believe that if you want the rights of a wife or husband, then get married and not be just a girlfriend or boyfriend, you can't get the best of both worlds. But the problem is with gay people who don't have the right to marry... that's why I do believe there should be some sort of civil agreement at least for gay people, to settle down all this matters, as alimony, inheritance, etc.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #830
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Martina did get number 4 spot in the 100 of TC what do we think about that. Has it something to do with the fact she works at the tennis channel. I personally would have liked Martina and Feder together at one.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #831
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Martina did get number 4 spot in the 100 of TC what do we think about that. Has it something to do with the fact she works at the tennis channel. I personally would have liked Martina and Feder together at one.
I was ok with it. Arguably she could have been #1. In the top 10 (mena and women) at the very least.

Tennis Channel would have been better served had they spearated the men and women IMO. Ranking two men at 1 and 2 was hoggish.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #832
country flag Pat Bateman

Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
You do know Martina's girlfriend of 8 years SUED her for breaking up with her?!? (Apparently, gays can't marry but they're not allowed to end relationships either) and they went to court, with the girlfriend saying she knew ALL of Martina's "skeletons in the closet" and would go public (which to me, correct me if I'm wrong, is EXTORTION) & this chick walked away with $3 MILLION DOLLARS.... even though the reasons for the case was publicly announced in extortionist terms, which means this lady should be thrown in JAIL, not given $3 MILLION DOLLARS!!!
http://snarkfood.com/martina-navrati...million/39036/

At least with Judy Nelson & Martina --to my mind- was more like they were married... that they 'felt' that way about their situation. This Toni Layton was, like millions of other people who get left because its the end-of-a- relationship-even-if-you-didnt-want-it-to-be, allowed to BANK on her pain in a way that no straight couple could possibly have gotten away with. But I dont want to sully Martina's tennis career page with this sordid chapter in her life ~ but my heart goes out to her on that. It is only because she was such a successful champion that she could be targeted in that way. I'm amazed she could stay open enough right after that to have started this relationship with Julia... but obviously it's because it's really a good thing they have.
Hi Daze
The whole thing with Toni Layton was just too bizarre for words. I still don't understand how/why Martina got with her in the first place. Toni was married to one of Martina's male business associates. The guy was reportedly gay and reportedly it was a marriage of convenience. Toni claimed that the marriage was unconsummated and that 'Marti' was her first and only lover.

The break up was exceptionally nasty. Toni claimed that Martina's bodyguards roughed her up and literally threw her into the street. As I recall, Toni's lawsuit was for "physical and mental distress" from the alleged roughing up, not for palimony. I was absolutely astonished that Martina agreed to a settlement so generous. The only explanation is that Martina wanted to avoid the embarrassment and inconvenience of going to court, and wanted to get on with her life without this hanging over her head.

...And funny you should bring up Judy Nelson. She and Martina are friends again now. Martina has even introduced Judy to Julia and they have socialized together.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #833
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Someone around Toni Layton said she did not get 3 million that it was a lie of Martina's people or a fault of journalists I hope that is true that Martina paid less but I do not know.
I hope Toni had to pay at least one third to her lawyer so it is not all hers.

She was most certainly overpaid if you see what Martina earned during that time her prizemoney in her second career was $800.000and some more from endorsements like the Subaru commercials.
Did you see Toni in the commercials or on the tenniscourts, in fact we never saw this woman, they asked Martina once if she was sure she had a girlfriend Martina was not even allowed to give her name to journalists.

When the people saw the pictures of Toni and later of Julia they said things like "nice update Martina", or Martina has exchanged an old VW for a Ferrari.

I was mostly disappointed with a lot of gay people in the US with their reactions it is okay that they all want to get married but boy is it going slow in the US and that is not Martina's fault, but they wanted to deny Martina fighting for herself and that she had to fork over lots of money to her girlfriend otherwise she would damage the chanches for gay marriage.
When I find a check in the mail from Toni I believe that she did it for the gay people said one man.
Do you know the settlement came when Martina was in Paris to get radiation treatment for the breast cancer and doing commentary for the tennischannel, boy had she a lot on her plate then.

I find Martina to be a different person the last three years very happy and radiant so maybe it is all worth the money she had to pay.

Last edited by Wimbledon9 : Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #834
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
...And funny you should bring up Judy Nelson. She and Martina are friends again now. Martina has even introduced Judy to Julia and they have socialized together.
Oh dear God, please tell us Martina's not going to get a mullet again. I blame Judy for that hideous mess.

How is Martina doing on the dancing show? Is this one where people call in and vote or do the contestants get rated by the judges?
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #835
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
How is Martina doing on the dancing show? Is this one where people call in and vote or do the contestants get rated by the judges?
I fear she may get the boot (5-6-6) But win or lose she's a winner for giving it a go. And give any lady in her 50s exta points for showing her midriff as Martina did tonight.

and bless all the support she had tonight in the crowd. The love was there-and so were Pammy Shriver and Jimmy Connors
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #836
country flag Pat Bateman

Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
Oh dear God, please tell us Martina's not going to get a mullet again. I blame Judy for that hideous mess.
I'm not a fan of the mullet per se but I thought Martina's looked adorable
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #837
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
I'm not a fan of the mullet per se but I thought Martina's looked adorable
I did too. The shape of her face suits a mullet, and I always thought she looked her best in the mid-80s when she was sporting one. It's much more attractive than the old-lady wig look she's sporting on this show. The cut actually makes her face look elongated and oval. I had to look twice the first I saw it to realize it was Martina.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #838
country flag Wimbledon9

A couple of tennislegends honored at the US Open:

http://www.shewired.com/sports/2012/...-tennis-center
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #839
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here is a BBC Radio interviw with Martina from just a few days back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...6c100#b01kjjp1

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #840
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

I'm just listening the beginning of this interview, and about 4:30 there's a moving moment when Martina mentions a Kvitova's match and how Petra could have her family watching her play, and Martin really gets moved as she mentions how she never had that (her family with her during her playing days), how her family had to watch her win Wimbledon in Bohemia (I think she says in Plzen) through German TV as Czech TV would never show her, and it really sad as she says how she would never get those years back... how tragic that politics have caused people so much pain, in different ways and I mean how this woman had to be apart from her family for so long, as so many others, just because of different political points of view... Martina starts sobbing and it's really moving how after all these years it still hurts her, and that's why she could "never forgive Communism for... it destroyed so many lives..."
Intense, and true.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote