Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #781
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

A wonderful article by Martina in response to Court :http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/don...-1226254744774
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #782
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

If you type, or copy and paste, "Tennis - Wimbledon Finale 1978 - Martina Navratilova vs.Chris Evert" into the search engine in YouTube, guess what comes up?

Last edited by newmark401 : Jan 28th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM   #783
country flag Ludosarasota

Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice Ludosarasota is just really nice

Martina Navratilova Monica Seles Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo in Paris? Yes more news here
Ludosarasota is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM   #784
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludosarasota View Post
Martina Navratilova Monica Seles Martina Hingis Amelie Mauresmo in Paris? Yes more news here
How exciting would that be!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #785
country flag Pat Bateman

Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
Evert defeats Nav 60 64 in Houston 1988. The ceremony presentation reminds me why I hated Nav's guts. How ungracious and uneducated of her. Also Martina fans, please enjoy how Chris hits back with grace and dignity.
Starts at 23:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS8WTWvWz6o
Good grief, what a sad life you must lead.

How many hours did you spent hunting down this long-forgotten incident from 24 years ago and posting it on BFTP in order to justify your prejudices?

Chrissie is very gracious and dignified. It's just too bad that some of her fans are unable to follow her fine example.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #786
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Martina was one of the most gracious losers and recently I heard two Italian players Rafaella Reggi and Sandra Cecchini say that Martina gave points away when she did not deserve them , they told that there were two camps Martina and Chris and they were of course in Martina's camp because she was honest and fair.

They said Chris Evert never did give points, but I have noticed the Evert fans only kiss her ass at the facebook pages are not at all critical and hate Martina's guts they did in the earlier years and they still do.

We as Martina fans are sometimes critical of Martina you never are. You never talked about the difficult circumstances from Martina I mean defection etc.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #787
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Evert defeats Nav 60 64 in Houston 1988. The ceremony presentation reminds me why I hated Nav's guts. How ungracious and uneducated of her. Also Martina fans, please enjoy how Chris hits back with grace and dignity.
It's Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread so keep your disgusting remarks for you .I've never posed unpleasant things on Chris thread .Chris fans are you jealous of Martina's happiness ?

Last edited by calou : Feb 12th, 2012 at 05:15 AM.
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #788
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold

I had never seen this presentation ceremony before; but I had heard random Evertards whine about it over the years.

To be honest, Martina did not come across as ungracious to me. She acknowledged Evert played a terrific match. As for her own performance, she was just being honest as she always was. She was never a fake unlike some. Quite simply, she did not play a good match that day and was disappointed in herself. Though it was sad to see her get emotional when mentioning her coach, Tim Gullikson and her few supporters - how lonely it must have been for her competing against Evert with practically the entire crowd solidly against you

Quote:
Originally Posted by calou View Post
A wonderful article by Martina in response to Court :http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/don...-1226254744774
Indeed, a great response from Martina But I'm not going to say any more about that because I don't want this thread to get locked or moved to the Non-Tennis section
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #789
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummi View Post
I had never seen this presentation ceremony before; but I had heard random Evertards whine about it over the years.

To be honest, Martina did not come across as ungracious to me. She acknowledged Evert played a terrific match. As for her own performance, she was just being honest as she always was. She was never a fake unlike some. Quite simply, she did not play a good match that day and was disappointed in herself. Though it was sad to see her get emotional when mentioning her coach, Tim Gullikson and her few supporters - how lonely it must have been for her competing against Evert with practically the entire crowd solidly against you

Indeed, a great response from Martina But I'm not going to say any more about that because I don't want this thread to get locked or moved to the Non-Tennis section
That is a very good response from Martina, and she brought up some interesting tid bits I did not know about Australia's history.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #790
country flag Clijsters28

Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold

I admire Martina not only for her tennis but her advocating for the gay and lesbian lifestyle today.
Clijsters28 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #791
country flag Clijsters28

Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold Clijsters28 is a splendid one to behold

She is also the greatest grass and carpet player ever, making her the GOAT on 2 of 4 major surfaces, something that is probably true of no man or women.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #792
country flag Clijsters28

Quote:
What did she do wrong. I dont see it.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #793
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Martina Navratilova ADMIRATION thread LightWarrior. Be nice (r)

Last edited by Rollo : Feb 13th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #794
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching my tapes and DVDs of some of Navratilova's GS finals from the 80s lately and I wondered if anyone else felt, as I did, that she appeared very anxious and irritable in the '82 AO final and the '85 French final? At first I thought it was because she lost (or was losing) those matches, but she generally seemed to be in better spirits in some of the other matches that she lost such as the '86 and '87 French finals or the '89 Wimbledon final? Has Navratilova ever said anything that might shed light on the two finals against Evert or am I just imagining things? Watching those matches again was a bit stressful for me, though, as I kept yelling "Go to the net! Don't frickin' rally with Chris Bloody Evert from the baseline" at Navratilova. I felt that she was much too passive in both of those matches, especially in the third set.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #795
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure Samn-I'd have to go back and watch closely.

Weren't there a number of dodgy line calls early in the 82 final? That may have explain some of the anxiousness.

Watching the Aussie finals (Martina fans would reallylike 81) I am always struck by how much crowd suppport she had Down Under compared to the other slams.

Quote:
I kept yelling "Go to the net! Don't frickin' rally with Chris Bloody Evert from the baseline" at Navratilova.
LOL. As a lefty who loves the net myself I would think a couple of things might keep Martina away from the net that day.

For one thing she had the memory of the 1984 final-her best performance ever IMO. On that day she crushed Chris and she did it from the baseline. So perhaps she thought-"I did it once-I'll do it again."

The other factor was the wind. It's just tougher for net rushers in the wind. And man was that one windy final. Skirts and balls blowing everywhere. For drama it was a beauty. The quality of the match didnn't equal the drama.

And then Pam Shriver brings up an interesting thought in "Passing Shots". She noted how Martina added a lot of topspin in 1985. Pammy actually thought it took away from Martina's game. Perhpas the extra top made it tougher for her to control and get to net in the wind?

Of course she was still chasing THE Grand Slam too.

Add it all up and I can get why she was anxious.

Quote:
I felt that she was much too passive in both of those matches, especially in the third set.
100% agree.

Interested to see how others view those matches.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote