Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:59 AM   #61
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Adrian, I need another Martina fix. Where do you get all these stats BTW????
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:29 PM   #62
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Zummi has the single best Martina site Mark, it's at:

http://members.tripod.com/Navratilova/
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:26 PM   #63
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the heads up on that site Rollo!
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:04 PM   #64
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
You're welcome Mark It's about as complete as you will get.
Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:49 PM   #65
Adrian
Team WTAworld

Adrian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This is probably a more informative and complete site

http://martina.globalweb.it/

Rollo, every site I've been to that seperates Martina's Tournaments from her exhibitions, have that particular event listed as a Exhibition. So I will leave it as it is.
Adrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:48 PM   #66
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Do what you want Adrian-but it comes down to this, do you consider the Sanex WTA finals an "exhibition"? That's the equivalent of what you are doing. By definition exibitions usually don't count towards rankings. The Colgate Finals did, and was the ancestor of today's WTA finals.

Sorry to be picky, but I remember these years and matches, and while you can do as you like I don't want others to be misled. Blindly trusting some fan website from a fan who probably doesn't remember from the 70's, but rather from the 90's, can have it's drawbacks.

I hope you recall this Adrian if 20 years from now someone dimisses Martina Hingis' two tour ending title wins as "exhibitions"
merely because they have no memory of them and 3 matches looks skimpy on paper. Memories have a way of getting short.

Unlike 2002, when Martina won that title it was arguably the 3rd
biggest, after Wimbledon and the US Open. Hardly an exhibition.
She deserves better recognition than that

If you don't believe me check an independent source- a good tennis magazine or newspaper from early 1980.
Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:52 PM   #67
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks for the website Adrian-it IS quite nice and there were some results she has that Zummi doesn't I think, but for god's sake-she's calling it an exhibition and doesn't even know the surface. A sure sign she's copied it.

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 4th, 2002 at 01:59 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #68
The Countess

The Countess is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Adrian

Please keep the stats coming now and then. They are fascinating to see her fabulous record.

Hey one day would you like to post her 2001 and 2002 doubles on here.
That would be so great!

Thanks Adrian

Countess Shannon
The Countess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #69
Adrian
Team WTAworld

Adrian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
In the very near future, I will be starting a new thread that will cover the entire Career of Martina's. From Go to Now. These results are being provided to me by someone that Knows better then anyone else what is right and what is wrong. It will all be Totally credited to this person and I'm sure you all are going to be pretty excited about it all
Adrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #70
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Looking forward to it Adrian. I've always been curious to know if Martina's first event win(Pilzen in 1973) was a pro or amateurs only event.

In the meantime check back with the site you listed. She's changed the Colgate to a tour event and added the surface. She'll be adding other surfaces soon
Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:19 PM   #71
country flag steffilover

steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts steffilover is infamous around these parts
Hi all! Great details in this thread. I'm a huge steffi fan (surprise!) and have always tended towards a slight dislike of martina - mainly 'cos she used to beat up on chrissie at wimbledon. but i have to say, i have just watched for the first time the '87 french final vs. steffi, where martina applauded steffi's good shot 7 (seven) times! in a grand slam final!!that is class of a kind you won't see today. cheers to all and much respect to MN.
steffilover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #72
The Countess

The Countess is an unknown quantity at this point
YAY MARTINA
The Countess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #73
country flag ttaM

ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of ttaM has much to be proud of
My gosh this thread is dead! We have to put some pep into it. What should we talk about? Surely something about Martina. If the Gabby and Austin threads can have replies Martina's for sure can.

What do you think was Martina's wors loss and best win.

Worst losses I would chose:
'84 OZ SF
'88 Wimbledon Final
'94 Wimbledon Final
'87 RG Final

Some best wins
'91 US Open SF win
'93 Paris Indoor F Win
'94 Wimbledon QF & SF Win (especially against the QF against Novotna)

So what others? I haven't seen any of her matches so I am going by significance I guess.
ttaM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:43 AM   #74
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Her most dominating IMO was her 1984 French win over Evert.

I wish I'd seen her 91 victory over Graf at the Us Open? Did you see it Go Monica?
Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #75
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
I loved the 1994 Wimbledon quarterfinal against Novotna and after that first set, she was really in the zone for the next two sets.

The most dominating performance from what I've seen would be the 1983 U.S. Open final. Though I'm sure she was just as good - if not even more brutal at the 1983 Virginia Slims Ch'ships final and 1984 Amelia Island.

Toughest losses: Martina recently pointed out her top 3 in that category. 1984 Australian Open semifinal; 1985 U.S. Open final; 1994 Wimbledon final. I have to agree, except I'm slightly inclined to replace the 1985 U.S. Open final with the 1987 Roland Garros final. There is no way in hell she should have lost that match had she not choked so badly throwing in two double faults when serving for the match. The 1989 U.S. Open final would be close behind. 6-3 4-2, what were those demons she saw at that point? The 1981 U.S. Open final should be up there as well as Roland Garros 1985.

Still, nothing beats the 1986 US Open semifinal in terms of excitement and drama. An all-time favorite of mine.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote