Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 48 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #706
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K-M View Post
You mean it is with her website or us open?
You are right about the site,but it is her official website.

Have a nice day, good night!!! here it is night and now 8:47pm
I mean about her web site ,i don't know who's the webmaster but he or she doesn't care about her fans
Have a good night
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #707
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fellow Martina fans!

Nothing more to say right now
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #708
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Hi
Only gossips .Julia has been seen with Martina at the Us Open :http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/WXBcl...na+Navratilova
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #709
country flag tennislover

tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know there is a thread dedicated to the Queen here in TF

Martina Navratilova

Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova
tennislover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM   #710
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't know there is a thread dedicated to the Queen here in TF

Yes indeedie. I'm hoping some of her fans will be a little more active in celebrating her this decade, as it marks the 30 year anniverssary of some of her greastest years

Ugarte found this early event win for Martina from 1972

ends March 12 Sofia International, Sofia, Bulgaria

FI: Martina Navratilova d Mariana Simionescu 6-1 6-4

It would be nifty if we could discover Martina played Yulia Barberian. Yulia was active in 1972 and is much more famous for being the mother of the Maleeva sisters. How cool would it be to find out Martina had played not only the mother but all 3 daughters!

DF: Martina Navratilova/Z Strnadova d Bettina Borkett/V Koch 6-3 0-1 retired
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #711
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with this thread, is most of the die hard Martina fans spend their time on Zummi's website keeping tabs on our Queen!
Of even more significance, there's this little gap in Graf's resume the size of the hole in the ozone layer: It's called Monica Seles. Was Graf the best female player of all time? She wasn't even the best in the heart of her career.
- Frank Deford, Sports Illustrated 27/8/01
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM   #712
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem with this thread, is most of the die hard Martina fans spend their time on Zummi's website keeping tabs on our Queen!
It's a great site Philbo. Just keep us in mind every now and then

And like I say-perhaps celebrating selected events (like the 1981 Aussie for example) might raise Martina's profile in the Blast.

BTW-I'm not sure if Zummi is interested in adding Martina's results before 1973-but if he is can you let him know about the Sofia result? He also has the incorrect score for 1 match in the 1983 Family Circle Cup. Martina won 7-6 4-6 6-4 -I think Zummi has a 6-2 score for the last set.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #713
country flag calou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
I agree
Personally i'm fed up with all these haters I've never said irrelevant words against others players,ironically the WS fans are more respectful this time ,but the Graffanatics and some guy who believes to have humor are really disturbed .
Of course i'll celebrate her birthday and the 30 years anniversary of the beginning of her greatest years
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM   #714
tommystar

tommystar has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

It would be nifty if we could discover Martina played Yulia Barberian. Yulia was active in 1972 and is much more famous for being the mother of the Maleeva sisters. How cool would it be to find out Martina had played not only the mother but all 3 daughters!
Martina did play against Maleeva-Mama.
I don't know what kind of match, but I remember that Martina stated at the summer of 1994 when she was still active and played in Bulgaria against Manuela an exhibition, that: "I played about 30 years ago against Manuela's mom, now I play against Manuela who is already retired, so I have to retire sometime."
tommystar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM   #715
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommystar View Post
I don't know what kind of match, but I remember that Martina stated at the summer of 1994 when she was still active and played in Bulgaria against Manuela an exhibition, that: "I played about 30 years ago against Manuela's mom, now I play against Manuela who is already retired, so I have to retire sometime."
This is true. Navratilova won and, according to legend, fiesty Yulia had three daughters with the express purpose of hoping that, one day, they would defeat Martina!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 10:36 PM   #716
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

When Martina defeated Magdalena Maleeva she sighted this was the last, no more Maleeva sisters despite everything they seem to be good friends. None of the Maleeva sisters gained a grandslam title at least not in singles.
It was amazing that Martina after her first retirement in 1994 played exhibition matches in almost every former communist country and so discovered Maria Sharapova during a tennis clinic in Moscow, although it must be said that the family of Yevgeny Kafelnikov had given Maria a racquet when she was young.
Still it was an achievement of Martina to spot Maria amongst so many girls to see her talent.
The fact that these countries allowed her to play in 1994 proves probably they held and hold her in high esteem despite everything.

Last edited by Wimbledon9 : Sep 22nd, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM   #717
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Strangely some anniversaries concerning her defection have gone unnoticed. Last year at the US Open it was 35 years ago that Martina defected.

Over the years especially after the death of both her parents Martina found this no reason for celebration, she always said leaving your parents sister and grandmother to find your freedom is no fun at all.

July 1981 Martina got her American passport after having been a person without a country for six years that is 30 years ago. Strange that the first two Wimbledon titles of Martina were won as a stateless person.

Last edited by Wimbledon9 : Sep 22nd, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #718
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
Hi fellow Martina fans!

Nothing more to say right now
Hey right back, Phil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
BTW-I'm not sure if Zummi is interested in adding Martina's results before 1973-but if he is can you let him know about the Sofia result? He also has the incorrect score for 1 match in the 1983 Family Circle Cup. Martina won 7-6 4-6 6-4 -I think Zummi has a 6-2 score for the last set.
Thanks, Rollo. I already had the Sofia result - it's in the "Juniors" section. Martina also won the under-18 title at this event over Hana Hublerova.

Btw, I had the East German doubles final opponents as Bettina Borkert and Veronica Koch.

And yes, I got the 1983 Hilton Head Island quarterfinal score wrong. That was a typo. Not sure when I'll get around to updating it - it's been over 12 years since I last updated that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommystar View Post
You are correct, Tom. Martina played (and beat) Yulia Berberian in Sofia in 1970. Yulia was 26 years old at the time, Martina was 14 (possibly 13).

Reminiscing in 1992 at the U.S. Open, Martina said, "I didn't beat her badly. She managed to have three daughters after that." In reality, Yulia was already a mother of two at the time.

Yulia remembered their match like this: "She was 14 and I was 26. And at that age, 14, she was the most awesome player you could imagine, doing everything with the ball. She was a tall girl. Very skinny. And at that time, she had a boyish build."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
Strangely some anniversaries concerning her defection have gone unnoticed. Last year at the US Open it was 35 years ago that Martina defected.

July 1981 Martina got her American passport after having been a person without a country for six years that is 30 years ago. Strange that the first two Wimbledon titles of Martina were won as a stateless person.
It's funny - I had forgotten about this anniversary. Receiving the Ellis Island award this year must have been all the more poignant for her.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #719
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummi View Post
Hey right back, Phil!

Thanks, Rollo. I already had the Sofia result - it's in the "Juniors" section. Martina also won the under-18 title at this event over Hana Hublerova.

Btw, I had the East German doubles final opponents as Bettina Borkert and Veronica Koch.

And yes, I got the 1983 Hilton Head Island quarterfinal score wrong. That was a typo. Not sure when I'll get around to updating it - it's been over 12 years since I last updated that section.

You are correct, Tom. Martina played (and beat) Yulia Berberian in Sofia in 1970. Yulia was 26 years old at the time, Martina was 14 (possibly 13).

Reminiscing in 1992 at the U.S. Open, Martina said, "I didn't beat her badly. She managed to have three daughters after that." In reality, Yulia was already a mother of two at the time.

Yulia remembered their match like this: "She was 14 and I was 26. And at that age, 14, she was the most awesome player you could imagine, doing everything with the ball. She was a tall girl. Very skinny. And at that time, she had a boyish build."

It's funny - I had forgotten about this anniversary. Receiving the Ellis Island award this year must have been all the more poignant for her.
Were Sofia 72 and the Wroclaw European Amateurs 74 the only senior international Eastern bloc events outside of Czechoslovakia that Martina won before she left? It's too bad that her early career is so hard to find out about.

Glad to see Martina speaking out in support of the men's efforts to shorten their year a little. Brava!

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #720
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Were Sofia 72 and the Wroclaw European Amateurs 74 the only senior international Eastern bloc events outside of Czechoslovakia that Martina won before she left? It's too bad that her early career is so hard to find out about.
Hi, those are the only two tournament wins that we know of. I'm sure there were more but the results will probably never be known. In her autobiography, she mentioned playing tournaments pre-1973 in West Germany, Bulgaria, Hungary, the USSR, Poland, Yugoslavia and East Germany.

Yulia Berberian said her first match against Martina was in Sofia in 1970, but now that I have checked her autobiography again, Martina said she played there for the first time in 1971. I think 1971 is probably more likely since she would have been 14 then and that is the age Yulia remembered her being at the time. Martina also said her first tournament in the USSR was in Sochi when she was 15 where she played Virginia Ruzici for the first time - so this could either have been 1971 or 1972. Martina also mentioned a tournament in Budapest in 1972 where Olga Morozova also played.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote