Dorothea Lambert Chambers - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Dorothea Lambert Chambers

She deserves a thread as the woman who had the most Wimbledons until Helen Wills won it 8 times.

By luck her book (Lawn Tennis For Ladies) is online for FREE courtesy of Project Gutenburg. It has some neat period pictures in it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10961...-h/10961-h.htm

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 21st, 2005 at 12:28 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:42 AM   #2
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Chambers probably should be considered a top level all time great. The only problem is that she only played and won Wimbledon. She did dominate the championships in her era though. You wonder how the depth in the games was at the time though.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Chambers probably should be considered a top level all time great. The only problem is that she only played and won Wimbledon. She did dominate the championships in her era though. You wonder how the depth in the games was at the time though.
My guess would be there wasn't too much depth-but (as you mentioned) she didn't get the chance to win other majors, so all in all it balances out IMO.

She was solid on clay when she did go to Europe-and the fact that she was over 40 when she had match point vs. Lenglen in 1919 speaks volumes.

Too bad for her World War 1 came along-or who knows how many Wimbledons she might have won.

I've never read this book, but it's on my list now.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:02 AM   #4
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yes, Lambert Chambers definately deserves legendary status!

I have a book from the Wimbledon museum on her - not sure it is the same one as the online version Rollo ... I must take a look. But some of the action photos of her in various books show how determined and fierce a competitor she was. And as you mention Rollo, to have a match point against Lenglen when she was over 40 is something extra-ordinary!

Would it be fantastic to be able to travel back in time to watch the great Chambers v Lenglen 1919 Wimbledon Final!!!!!!!!!!! What a match it must have been!
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Would it be fantastic to be able to travel back in time to watch the great Chambers v Lenglen 1919 Wimbledon Final!!!!!!!!!!! What a match it must have been!
Yes indeedy. Not only was it just an intensely exciting match, it was a battle of generations (old vs. young-prewar vs. post-War) fashion (ankles and wrists covered vs. "That hussy" in her short skirts) and English conservatism vs. a French liberal invasion.

And what match points! On the first Suzanne hit a volley while twisted about -it hit the wood frame, then the net, and finally dropped JUST OVER the net. She didn't see it at all, only the crowds groans told her she was still alive.

On match point two Lamberts Chamber's ball clipped the net and fell back on her side.

Surely it was most heartbreaking loss she ever had.

When the match was over the king of England wanted to congratulate both women for a splendid match. both women declined-as they were soaking their bloody feet.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #6
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
She was definitely amazing. I was in awe with her for a few reasons.

1. Her astounding Wimbledon record.

2. Her amazing match against Lenglen in 1919.

3. Her beautiful long name.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Re: Dorothea Lambert Chambers

Chambers Career Summary
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

June London Chmps, Queen's Club
1R bye
2R lost to Edith Austin 6-2 6-0

?? Sep ? South of England, Eastbourne

?R lost to Muriel Robb 6-3 6-4
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Chiswick Park
1R d. Miss ER Morgan 4-6 6-2 6-3
2R lost to Beryl Tulloch 6-3 6-8 6-1

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
1R lost to Miss Smythe 4-6 6-4 6-4

London Chmps,Queens Club
1R
2R
3R lost to Edith Austin 6-3 6-1

South of England, Eastbourne

?R lost to Miss M. Southam 6-4 6-2
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Chiswick Park

?R d. Beryl Tulloch 6-3 8-10 6-2
FI lost to Charlotte Cooper 6-2 6-2

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
1R lost to Muriel Robb 9-7 6-4

Wimbledon
1R won by walkover
2R lost to Louise Martin (Ire) 6-4 6-3

London Chmps, Queen's Club
??
??
SF lost to Agnes Morton 6-4 6-3

in the handicap singles (in pre-war days many events held handicap events alongside "Open" events) she has a 2 and a half hour duel with American Marion Jones. Douglass wins 8-10 6-2 7-5, recovering from 1-5 down to take 6 straight games. Jones faints and has to be carried to the dressing room.

August Scarborough
?R lost to Mrs Pickering 6-0 6-4

Sept South of England, Eastbourne

?R lost to Charlotte Cooper 3-6 9-7 9-7

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 18th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Dorothea's breakout year comes at the age of 22.

She wins 4 of 10 events.
Won 1 doubles title
Won 2 mixed titles.

At the end of the year she is rated number 4 in Great Britain.

Covered Courts
?R lost to Blanche Hillyard 6-3 6-0

Chiswick Park
1R lost to Beryl Tulloch 10-8 6-4

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
1R d Miss Symthe 6-4 6-1
2R d Hilda Lane 7-5 6-3
QF d Countess Schulenburg (Ger) 6-3 6-8 6-4
SF d Beryl Tulloch 6-1 4-6 6-4
FI d. Agnes Morton 6-4 6-4

CR d. Mrs Edith Austin Greville 6-1 4-6 6-4

Dorothea wins her first title in a class field.

Surbiton
?R lost to Charlotte Cooper Sterry 6-4 6-2

Wimbledon
1R
2R
3R lost to Charlotte Sterry 6-4 6-2

North London Chmps

??
CR d. Mrs Ellen Evered 6-4 7-5

Essex Chmps, Colchester
1R d. Alice Greene

FI d. Agnes Morton 6-3 6-3

Won mixed

Yorkshire Association Meeting, Scarborough

??
FI d. Mrs. Pickering 4-6 11-9 6-1

Won doubles

Sep Sussex Chmps, Brighton

?R lost to Charlotte Sterry 9-7 7-5

Won doubles

?R lost to Muriel Robb 6-1 6-1

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #12
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Wins 3 of 10 events enters.
Won 2 doubles titles
Won 1 mixed title.

Chiswick Park

SF lost to Charlotte Sterry 7-5 6-3

A very rainy season makes for soggy courts, conditions which favor the net attacking Mrs Sterry.

Surbiton

?R lost to Charlotte Sterry 6-3 6-1

June Wimbledon

QF d. Ruth Durlacher 6-2 10-8
SF lost to Muriel Robb 6-4 2-6 9-7

3 doubtful calls go against Miss Douglass in the last set, costing her a 3-1 lead. Robb's strong forehand carries the day.

Kent Chmps, Beckenham

CR d. Hilda Lane 7-5 6-4
*As defending champion Dorothea "sits out" until the Challenge Round.

The Challenge Round was postponed by rain until the Saturday after Wimbledon.

Gipsy Club
FI d. Agnes Morton 4-6 6-2 8-6

Two points from defeat, she pulls the chesnuts out of the fire.

Northumberland Chmps, Newcastle
FI lost to Charlotte Sterry 7-5 7-5

Won doubles

Mrs Sterry continues to be Dorothea's bete noir, having an 8-0 record against Chambers.

Colchester

?R lost to Winifred Longhurst 1-6 6-3 6-4

East of England, Felixstone

FI d. Winifred Longhurst 6-3 4-6 9-7

Sussex Chmps, Brighton
FI lost to Charlotte Sterry 6-2 6-8 6-3

Won doubles

Sept South of England, Eastbourne
1R
2R
3R
QF d. Charlotte Sterry 5-7 6-2 6-3
SF d. Connie Wilson 8-6 6-2
FI d. Edith Greville 6-2 6-2

Divides mixed title.

Finally! Dorothea has her first win in 10 meetings over Sterry. "This was a great relief to Dorothea, who often thought she would never overcome this obstacle."

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #13
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Wins 5 out of 9 events entered in singles.
Won 3 doubles titles
Won 4 mixed titles

Middlesex Chmps, Chiswick Park
FI d. Elizabeth Bromfield 6-4 9-7

Won mixed

The final lasts 75 minutes.

June Northern Chmps, Manchester
loses only 9 games before the final

FI Winifred Longhurst 6-2 4-6 7-5
CR lost to Louise Martin 4-6 7-5 6-4

Wins All-England Mixed title with Frank Riseley

Wimbledon
1R d Mrs Riseley walkover
2R d. Vera Pinkney walkover
QF d. Mrs. Gertrude Houselander 6-2 6-0
SF d. Toupie Lowther 6-4 6-2
FI d. Ethel Thomson 4-6 6-4 6-2

Doubles-Won with Mrs Pickering (non-championship event)

A wide open field without the defending champion Muriel Robb, stalwarts Blanche Hillyard and Charlotte Sterry (who is pregnant), or perennial challenger Louise Martin. Dorothea won a tough final over Thomson, who used a corckscrew underhand serve and a sharp backhand. At 4-4 in the second Chambers swept forward to win.

July Kent Chmps, Beckenham
CR lost to Connie Wilson 3-6 6-4 6-4

Gipsy Club
CR d. Agnes Morton 6-2 6-3

1R d. Ethel Thomson 6-2 2-6 6-1
FI d. ????

Won doubles

Derbyshire Chmps, Buxton
FI d. Ethel Thomson 6-2 6-1

Wins doubles with Thomson =All-England Doubles title.

Sussex Chmps,Brighton
FI lost to Alice Greene 2-6 8-6 6-2

Won mixed

FI lost to Connie Wilson 7-5 6-2

Won mixed

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #14
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Undefeated for the year-Chambers wins all 9 singles events she enters. This is the year that marks the start of her domination-over the course of the season she beats old nemesis Charlotte Sterry 6 times.

Won 9 of 9 singles events
Won 2 doubles titles
Won 2 mixed titles

April Covered Courts
FI d. Edith Greville 6-2 6-3

June Middlesex Chmps, Chiswick Park
FI d. Charlotte Sterry 4-6 6-1 6-3

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
1R
2R
3R
QF
SF
FI
CR d. Connie Wilson 6-4 6-2

Wimbledon
CR d Charlotte Sterry 6-0 6-3

FI d. Charlotte Sterry 7-5 6-1

Derbyshire Chmps, Buxton
FI d. Ethel Thomson 6-2 4-6 6-3

Won doubles
Won mixed=All-England Chmps

Northern England Championships, Liverpool (G) 1904
FI d. Ethel Thomson 6-4 6-2

Won doubles

Sussex Chmps, Brighton
??
SF d. Blanche Hillyard 6-1 1-6 7-5
FI d. Charlotte Sterry 6-3 6-3

South of England Chmps, Eastboure
1R d Ellen Stawell Brown 6-4 6-1
2R d. Alice Greene 6-2 6-4
QF d. Ethel Thomson 6-4 6-3
SF d Blanche Hillyard 6-2 7-5
FI d. Charlotte Sterry 6-3 6-4

Won mixed

A stellar field.

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #15
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

An injury during her first trip abroad makes 1905 a trying year.

Wins 3 out of 8 events entered.
Won 2 doubles titles
Won 1 mixed title

Feb Monte Carlo, Cannes
FI d. Connie Wilson 6-4 6-1

Won doubles

Dorothea adapts well to the clay courts of France after a 27 hour train journey.

South of France Chmps, Nice
??
SF defaults to Countess Schulenburg (Ger)

Mixed with Charles Allen
FI lost to Countess Schulenburg/Reggie Doherty 6-4 2-6 12-10

Cannes Chmps, Beau Site
withdraws.

Wimbledon
CR lost to May Sutton (US) 6-3 6-4

Still injured, her arm responds to "a course of electricity". She decides to defend her title amd faces American sensation May Sutton. The beefy May hammers forehands past Chambers.

Injures her wrist in the mixed final-and unwisely continues to play. She must scratch in singles.

Midland Counties Championships, Edgbaston (G) 1905 Jul 29
FI lost to Constance Wilson 7-5 6-4

FI lost to Connie Wilson

Won doubles

Chambers loses despite having a match point.

Derbyshire Championships, Buxton (G) 1905 Aug 19
FI lost to Contance Wilson 4-6 6-1 7-5

Again loses after having a match ball!

Aug Homburg, Germany
FI d. Toupie Lowther 6-3 7-5

Divides mixed title

Wins a gold-jewelled purse as the first prize.

Dinard, France.
??
SF d. Gladys Eastlake-Smith 6-1 6-0
FI d. Blanche Hillyard 6-1 7-5
CR d. Katie Gillou (Fr) 6-3 6-4

London Covered Court Chmps Queen's Club
??
FI d. Ethel Larcombe 6-4 6-2

Many thanks to Elegos for results

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 07:27 PM.