British Pathé on YouTube - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #1
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
British Pathé on YouTube

I've been watching a lot of British Pathé archives on YouTube lately. It's priceless. For those interested in women's tennis, a lot of stuff to watch from 1900 to 1969 and probably beyond has been downloaded and is watchable for everyone there. Now I know how Ann Haydon or Dorothy Round looked like. How well Maria Bueno played (fragments of the 1964 final are especially good) and how lovely Margaret Smith was... apart from having the greatest palmares of them all!

Also funny to watch Suzanne Lenglen play. Of course the sport has evolved since (and chronologically you can see how it evolved slowly, from Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills to Billie Jean King, going through Alice Marble, Maureen Connolly and Althea Gibson...) still her movement was unique!

Lots of Wimbledon films in the first place.

Basically, I watched everything with the Pathé logo on the video, that was about tennis.
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #2
country flag djoule

djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice djoule is just really nice
Re: British Pathé on YouTube

Funny, I have watched a lots of these Pathe videos and some other ones 2 days ago and now I find your post about it
These videos are really great. I have only watched videos from 20's and 30's with Mallory, Lenglen, Wills, Jacobs and Marble.
It's really interesting to see how they played. I like the video "How I play tennis - by Suzanne Lenglen", a video with a lot of slow motion of her shots.
As you say, it's great to see how they looked for"real". The most surprising thing concerning the game in those years is that they don't use the other to prepar their shots. It looks strange at the beginning
Another thing : the first time I watched the videos I thought : "wow, old slow tennis" ( but I kept in mind the equipment of the period ) but after watching them again, I thought : "Not so slow finally, different but really nice to watch !".
I would love to see a whole match of Lenglen, Wills...
I recommend these videos to all of you
( now I'm going to watch videos from 40's and 50's... ).
djoule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British Pathé on YouTube

The Pathe videos are treasures!

Thanks for sharing Hugues. If it is ok I will use this space (your first post in particular) to post links to videos in order of the year they came out?

In that way we would have a "library" or sorts. The other good thing is we could discuss particular matches.

When a poster shows a new video or posts the link you or I could edit it into the first post
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote