Give Davenport respect already - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM   #1
country flag LindsayRulez

LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of
Give Davenport respect already

Lindsay may not be at the top of her game at this moment, but hello, she is number FOUR in the WORLD! She is consistently in semis and finals of big tournaments and is a 3-time grand slam champion. I am tired of hearing, "oh, she should retire, she is so painful to watch when she is down on herself...I wonder if she'll make it through the second round...she doesn't stand a chance..." When I see you out there fighting to be one of the best in the world, then you can talk.
LindsayRulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:55 AM   #2
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
consistently in the semis and finals of big tournaments? which ones? I must have missed them. She hasn't been to the semis of a major since last year, and she hasn't been to the finals of a major since, what, 2000 or 2001??

Also, when was the last time Lindsay beat a top 4 player?

Sure Lindsay is still a quality player, and she is probably the 5th or 6th best player on tour...but she isn't a true threat to win a major anymore.
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM   #3
country flag Mikey
Team WTAworld

Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of
A) 2000 US Open
B) 2002 Zurich: def. Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne
C) Not true. She has a great shot at the US Open if she could only get over her current mental block against Kim Clijsters. Theoretically, she could make the final - she'll draw either Kim or Justine in the semis (and Venus will definitely be on the other half), which gives her a chance.
Lindsay Davenport - Anna Smashnova - Lisa Raymond - Sandrine Testud - Paola Suarez - Amelie Mauresmo - Virginia Ruano-Pascual - Nadia Petrova - Chanda Rubin - Cara Black - Tathiana Garbin - Anne Kremer - Monica Seles - Fabiola Zuluaga - Maria Sanchez-Lorenzo - Amanda Coetzer - Rita Grande - Meghann Shaughnessy - Magui Serna - Nathalie Dechy - Kim Clijsters - Elena Tatarkova - Maria Sharapova - Alicia Molik - Julia Vakulenko - Elena Likhovtseva - Anastasia Myskina - Emilie Loit
Mikey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:07 AM   #4

LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of
As I said, consistently in the semis and finals of big tournaments: finals of Sydney, winner in Tokyo, finals of Indian Wells, semis of Family Circle Cup (clay!), finals of Amelia Island (clay!), semis of San Diego...wow, you sure did miss a lot.

This has definitely not been her best year, but she is still a threat to win any tournament.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #5
country flag Mikey
Team WTAworld

Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of Mikey has much to be proud of
Don't worry LR, the right people agree with you

Lindsay Davenport - Anna Smashnova - Lisa Raymond - Sandrine Testud - Paola Suarez - Amelie Mauresmo - Virginia Ruano-Pascual - Nadia Petrova - Chanda Rubin - Cara Black - Tathiana Garbin - Anne Kremer - Monica Seles - Fabiola Zuluaga - Maria Sanchez-Lorenzo - Amanda Coetzer - Rita Grande - Meghann Shaughnessy - Magui Serna - Nathalie Dechy - Kim Clijsters - Elena Tatarkova - Maria Sharapova - Alicia Molik - Julia Vakulenko - Elena Likhovtseva - Anastasia Myskina - Emilie Loit
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #6

well said, Mikey, finally some common sense around here
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:10 AM   #7
Oasiatic

Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice Oasiatic is just really nice
Go Lindsay!

I'm so ugly but thats ok 'cause so are you.

I am a sufficiently accomplished Legilimens to know when I am being lied to

Shania and Serena! My two fav babes! You gals rock. Keep it coming!! Get well Serena honey!

Venus Williams: US Open Champion 2003
Oasiatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:33 AM   #8
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
LR - those are big events in a sense, but they aren't majors...and she didn't beat a Williams sister or a Belgian in those events.
Had to be strong
so I believed
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:39 AM   #9
country flag Mikey
Team WTAworld

And how many people can say that they have? I can think of one person that isn't Belgian or a Williams sister to have beaten a Belgian or a Williams sister en route to winning a tournament. But she's certainly not going to be winning a major anytime soon, not in singles anyway.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:07 AM   #10
jenglisbe

Mikey - I can name more than one; Ai beat Kim in a final, and Dementieva beat Henin in Amelia Island. Beyond that, Mauresmo has at least beaten Serena this year.

Again, my point is simply that Lindsay is behind the Williams sisters and the Belgians. She is 5th or 6th in the world in terms of quality of play (Amelie is ahead of her without the injuries).
Had to be strong
so I believed
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #11
country flag Maajken
Miss Verstand

Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future Maajken has a brilliant future
too bad for you the ranking system doesnt work like that huh

even if she's behind those 4 players, she still deserves all the respect in the world and should be taken into account at ANY tournament!

Och du håller så hårt och när längtan blir svår
Så är jag din, din, din att ta med
Att ta ut, att ta in i någonting nytt
Maajken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #12
country flag Vincent

Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future Vincent has a brilliant future
I reckon that Lindsay is still the main force to win any tournament behind the Williams sister and the Belgians, or the biggest darkhorse to win a Grand Slam. Her potential is clearly shown by consistently storm intot he last four or eight. How can you say someone consistenly get into the quarterfinal or semifinal is not a true threat? When was the last time Lindsay lose to a no name or 3rd or 4 th round?

Vincent is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #13
country flag bello

bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold
Yeah thats prob true ferrero, thats why she is no.5!

GO LINDS!!!!

MONICA SELES~NANCY FEBER~ROMINA OPRANDI~ADRIANA SERRA ZANETTI~SERENA WILLIAMS~MIRJANA LUCIC

Rossana De Los Rios ~ Alicia Molik ~ Flavia Pennetta ~ Trudi Musgrave ~ Francesca Schiavone ~Tatiana Golovin ~ Maria Vento-Kabchi ~ Anna Kournikova ~ Chanda Rubin ~ Brenda Schultz-McCarthy ~ Lina Krasnoroutskaya ~ Monica Niculescu ~ Sania Mirza ~ Cindy Watson ~ Patty Schnyder ~ Ashley Harkleroad ~ Sophie Ferguson ~ Barbora Strykova ~ Barbara Schwartz ~ Maria Emilia Salerni ~ Tsvetana Pironkova ~ Lisa McShea ~ Jelena Dokic ~ Iroda Tulyaganova
bello is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #14
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Lindsay is still a top player, but right now she´s only a DARKHORSE for winning a GS. That´s not meant as a slight or anything, but if all top players are healthy, Lindsay is qrtr-finalist at best.
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #15
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Lindsay is my fave but you have to admit fellow fans that Linds has slipped a little since she returned last year.

I think she was actually playing better in 2002 compared to this year, but I also think she has lot more going on in her world with her marriage, family issues and a new injury to worry about.

Tennis was a top priority in her life just two years ago and now tennis is still important, but I don't think her main concern.

Frankly, I think Lindsay deserves respect anyway. She really does not have that much more to prove to anybody.

So I say God Bless her and if nobody wants to give her the deserved props then they are missing out and not us.......
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote