Will Clijsters choke at #1 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #1
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Will Clijsters choke at #1

To me Kim really seems like she doesn't want to become #1 right now. She is downplaying it so much in the media that it is sickening. Usually when someone is going to become #1 they can't wait to get there, but Clijsters seems reluctant to take the role as the #1 player. I think she will feel extreme pressure in holding the #1 spot, and could take a slide after achieving #1. I just have a bad feeling that she won't be comfortable at #1. Anyone else think so??

Last edited by Knizzle : Aug 7th, 2003 at 03:44 PM.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #2
country flag Lisbeth

Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice Lisbeth is just really nice
She's in an impossible position. If she makes even the slightest sign that she's pleased, people jump down her throat about how she doesn't deserve it yet. I don't think she's being "sickening" but rather very diplomatic and sensitive to the issues some people have with Serena losing the #1.

But to answer your question, I doubt it will affect her much either way once the morbid hysteria dies down. She's a very sensible girl.
Lisbeth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #3
country flag ~|Naomi|~

~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute
No I don't think she will

As Number1Kim said she is an impossible position.
If Kim gets it she will be eternally happy. ut until then she isn't going to act like she is 1, like the media want, she doesn't want to talk about it, she wants to go one match at a time
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #4
oddkayla

oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold
I think it wont affect her anyway, although it could be an added pressure because of her inability to hold her nerve in big-time matches!

She needs to improve mentally in terms of playing big time against the very best in later stages of slams. Being a semi-finalist is not good enough when you are supposed to be the very best in the world.
IMO her playing a lot hampers her ability to improve mentally because going from one tournament to the other, she has no time to reflect!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #5
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
It might help her to be #1, actually, especially getting it this way (i.e. not having to do much). This way if she gets in a real fight for #1 over the next few years, she will have already achieved #1 and won't have to worry about it so much. It's like how winning a first major eases the pressure for the majors after it.
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #6
Chance
Keeper of Secrets

Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future Chance has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenglisbe
It might help her to be #1, actually, especially getting it this way (i.e. not having to do much). .
that says a lot about the ranking system ...

Veelieve
Chance is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #7
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
If I were her, I would drop out of the last hardcourt tourney and go straight to Flushing and practise on those courts. #1 is invevitable. What she needs to do now is focus on her first REAL opportunity to win a slam.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #8
RAA

RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of RAA has much to be proud of
I agree w/ pureracket.

I think she should be happy w/ the #1 ranking. Few players have achieved it. She should be proud. My goodness, she is not even officially the #1 player and you are already wondering if she is going to CHOKE on it???

ridiculous!

anyway, she needs to be fresh and ready to go at the US Open. She really seems to have amazing stamina to play so much week in and out and still do so well. I'm hoping its not going to catch up to her.

meanwhile, she needs to get her boyfriend in GEAR.
RAA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #9
Cybelle Darkholme

Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future Cybelle Darkholme has a brilliant future
Kim will be fine if she cuts down on her doubles with Ai. They are so good as a doubles team that she plays twice as much in each touranment she enters. So while her competition gets to rest she's out there working her ass off and tiring herself out. someone should tell her to ease off the doubles and to see if that helps her singles.
The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #10
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket
If I were her, I would drop out of the last hardcourt tourney and go straight to Flushing and practise on those courts. #1 is invevitable. What she needs to do now is focus on her first REAL opportunity to win a slam.
Yep, I've been saying that all along. Meanwhile I still don't think she is a choker... She just hasn't figured how to elevate her game when the going gets tough.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #11
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
I dont really expect her to act like shes so pleased and act like its the best thing anyone can do, bc then it'll seem like shes pleased by Serena being injured and withdrawing from all these tournaments and she doesnt want it to seem like that. Kims a nice person and she doesnt like to get something through injury, and doesnt like to win matches bc of retirements etc, regardless if she would have won or not.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #12
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute
I just hope she doesn't do what Davenport did when she became number one. "Oh it's amazing,I can't believe it, I never thought....I'm just happy to be here."yadda yadda yadda...

Um excuse me LIndsay but you put in the hard work and dedication, you transformed your body.

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #13
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddkayla
I think it wont affect her anyway, although it could be an added pressure because of her inability to hold her nerve in big-time matches!

She needs to improve mentally in terms of playing big time against the very best in later stages of slams. Being a semi-finalist is not good enough when you are supposed to be the very best in the world.
IMO her playing a lot hampers her ability to improve mentally because going from one tournament to the other, she has no time to reflect!
So true, so true. The world no.1 can´t be content just to reach semi´s and stuff! Girl has to start winning the biggies!!
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #14
doloresc

doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice doloresc is just really nice
her anxiety will subside about the #1 ranking when she wins a major. i wish her well because henin-hardenne and venus will be her biggest obstacles.
doloresc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #15
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
eerie, isn't it
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote