African Tennis Players - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #1
country flag usawildcat929

usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice usawildcat929 is just really nice
Talking African Tennis Players

Is there any African tennis players on the WTA tour? They do pretty well in Fed Cup!
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2
country flag Juju_La_Terreure

Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about Juju_La_Terreure has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by usawildcat929
Is there any African tennis players on the WTA tour? They do pretty well in Fed Cup!
Cara Black from Zimbabwe
Juju_La_Terreure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #3
Maishas

Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice Maishas is just really nice
Amanda Coetzer from S.Africa
Maishas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Johno_uk

Johno_uk has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maishas
Amanda Coetzer from S.Africa
Also Dally Radriantefy from Madagascar (top 100)
Selima Sfar from Tunisia (top 200)
South Africa has several other players too, but not indigenous players as far as I'm aware. Tennis will most likely remain a sport for whites only for a long time yet unfortuantly in S. Africa.
Johno_uk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:39 PM   #5
country flag bluepastures

bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light
You're right Johno, I think all the current South African world ranked players are white. The divide still runs across other sports too. Rugby & cricket are almost all white players (to a lesser extent in rugby) and supporters, whilst in contrast the football team is dominated by black players.

The other African world ranked players

- Algeria:

Feriel Esseghir & Sana Ben Salah

- Egypt
Yomna Farid, Amani Khalifa, Heidi El Tabakh, Noha Mohsen and Magy Aziz

- Madagascar

Dally Randriantefy has also got a world-ranked sister Natacha

- Morocco

Bahia Mouhtassine (top 200), Meryem Haddad, Habiba Ifrakh, Zineb El Ouazzani and Hanane Toumi. Also several top mens players like El Aynaoui

- Nigeria

Femi Odeyemi Musa & Fatima Abinu

- South Africa
As well as Coetzer, Natalie Grandin & Chanelle Scheepers are both top 200. Also, Nicole Rencken, Liezel Huber (formerly top 100, now outside the top 500), Jessica Steck, Kim Grant, Michelle Snyman, Surina De Beer, Joanette Kruger and Anca Anastasiu

I think part of the problem is that there's so few world ranking tournaments (adult or junior) in Africa, and potential players from the poorer parts of Africa will not be able to afford to travel to Europe or the USA.
bluepastures is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #6
~=)New_Guy(=~
Banned

~=)New_Guy(=~ has a little shameless behaviour in the past ~=)New_Guy(=~ has a little shameless behaviour in the past
wasnt there a girl who walked from challengers
to challengers awhile back then,
anyone remembers who that is?
~=)New_Guy(=~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #7
tim4

tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of
Kim Grant (S.Africa) has done quite well in doubles over the past couple of years.

Surina De Beer has had injury problems but has been on form of late. She has won two British LTA tournaments within the past month, and seems to enjoy it.
tim4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:36 AM   #8
country flag Beefy

Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute
What's happened to Zimbabwe in the Fed Cup? I have a bit of a soft spot for them (because I've got relatives there) and I couldn't see Zimbabwe in any draws for the Fed Cup.
Beefy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #9
country flag hoekie274

hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road hoekie274 is on a distinguished road
What happened with two other African players? I know that Feriel Esseghir of Algeria was a top 200 potential, but suddenly she dropped out. Besides that...wat happened to Egyptian player Amani Khalifa? She wasn´t a big potential, but sure a strong Egyptian Fed Cup player.
hoekie274 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #10
country flag Beefy

Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute Beefy has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone else think that what's happened with the Zimbabwe cricket team (for those who don't know, cricket is a sport played by countries part of the British Commonwealth, and is kind of like baseball) will happen to tennis. For those who don't know, President Mugabe is tied up with the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, and players have had to retire because of their colour, or standing up to the ZCU over selection process, because coloured players are being picked because of their colour. Also just yesterday, 12 white cricket players were axed from the team, meaning Zimbabwe will field a side with no whites in it. Go to www.cricinfo.com for more details on that if you're interested. I know the Davis Cup squad has two white players and two coloured. Is there a policy there? If not, do you think that what's happened with the cricket team, will spread to both Davis Cup and Fed Cup teams?

And all the best for Elena
Beefy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #11
country flag CooCooCachoo
Team WTAworld

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Liezel Huber (formerly top 100, now outside the top 500)
But she focuses on doubles and does very well doing so

Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #12
country flag CooCooCachoo
Team WTAworld

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
She wasn´t a big potential, but sure a strong Egyptian Fed Cup player.
I personally expect a lot from Heidi El Tabakh in the future.. She's now ranked #750 or something, but she's got the potential to make it.

Bemelmans|Camerin|Cornet|Crivoi|Cuevas|Dentoni|Dod ig|Garbin|Granollers
Hlavackova|Ilhan|Kohli|Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino| Menendez|Phau|Polansky
Rezaï|Robredo|Roger-Vasselin|Srebotnik|Szavay|Wörle|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #13
tennis2003

tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough tennis2003 is a jewel in the rough
has anyone heard anything about amanda coetzer - she has only played two matches this year and is not in the fed cup team. Her rank is sliding. Is this the end. I dont think she would play if she has to play qualifying?????????
tennis2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #14
FrankWo

FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all FrankWo is a name known to all
Hi, 'tennis2003',
my answer in http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=106271 is still up-to-date, no news till today ...
... with greetings to You,
FrankWo.
FrankWo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #15
country flag *Jool*

*Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone knows if Jo Kruger retired ? I know she's been injured and came back in some events in 2003 included RG but since I never heard of her . Please tell me if so knows!!!

KATA - AMG -
APS

Serena- Garcia- Hercog- KDK- Daniilidou- Puig- Muguruza...

*Jool* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote