For Seabiscuit fans--Hot to Trot article from the NY Post - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:40 PM   #1
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
Talking For Seabiscuit fans--Hot to Trot article from the NY Post

HOT TO TROT

By MEGAN LEHMANN--NY Post

July 23, 2003 -- A horse is a horse of course, of course, but the feisty little red bay star of "Seabiscuit" was something else altogether - and it took a stable of ponies to portray him.

Eight different Thoroughbreds were required to bring to the screen the many moods and behaviors of the knock-kneed upstart who defied the odds to become an inspirational hero to Depression-era America.

The resulting performance manages to upstage the rest of the cast, including Tobey Maguire, who was paid $12 million for the role.

While the fastest five were used for the racing scenes - a fleet-footed charger called I Too Step Two became the go-to race horse - the others specialized in portraying Seabiscuit's various quirks.

"We taught those behaviors," the movie's "horse wrangler," Rusty Hendrickson, told The Post. "They're not acting, they're more reacting - reacting to stimulus off-camera or to what a trainer is doing."

In the movie, which opens Friday, Seabiscuit is introduced as a lazy, obstinate horse that's been mistreated and, having lost his first 17 races, is considered good for nothing.

He's sold for a pittance to self-made millionaire Charles Howard (Jeff Bridges) who - along with the trainer Tom Smith (Chris Cooper) and a brawling, half-blind jockey named Red Pollard (Tobey Maguire) - helps Seabiscuit realize his full potential.

One of the most affecting aspects of this stirringly authentic horse-racing movie - based on Laura Hillenbrand's runaway best-seller, "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" - is the personality Seabiscuit displays.

Whether he's basking in the sun like a cat or looking genuinely pleased to see Red after a long absence, he's one of the more fully realized characters of the summer movie season.

Hendrickson was responsible for casting the four-legged actors - one was picked for his tendency to rear and buck, for example, while another was chosen for his lethargy.

"We were lucky that Seabiscuit was a pretty average-looking horse," says Hendrickson, a 49-year-old Montana rancher who was also head wrangler on "Dances With Wolves," "Wyatt Earp" and "All the Pretty Horses."

Hendrickson spent last spring scouring the country for horses that fit the bill: They had to be no more than 15 hands high and look similar, although some of them eventually required makeup to disguise facial differences.

The horse that gets the most on-screen time as Seabiscuit is a retired runner named Fighting Furrari, who Hendrickson found in Ohio.

Fighting Furrari is the horse moviegoers see in the winner's circle and the one Red Pollard recuperates with after both get injured.

"He was more photogenic than the others, more interesting to look at," Hendrickson says.

"By no means was he the greatest race horse of the bunch, but he was good to handle; he's sweet-natured and likes people.

"And he was one of the horses we really trusted with Tobey - he rode Fighting Furrari quite a bit, even on the race track at race speed."

A total of 45 horses were needed for the movie - plus one mechanical horse Maguire rode in a number of race scenes.

Four horses portrayed War Admiral, the enormous Triple Crown winner who was Seabiscuit's No. 1 foe.

The risk of working with animals who don't follow a script was highlighted during the filming of the centerpiece match race between Seabiscuit and War Admiral.

War Admiral was supposed to lose the race, but Cobra Flight, the horse chosen to play him in that scene, insisted on winning - and the scene had to be shot three times.

Once filming wrapped, only one returned to racing, while others were sold or had homes found for them. The horse that plays Pumpkin, Seabiscuit's palomino buddy, went home with Hendrickson.

"There were a lot of nice horses," he says, "but there was just something I liked about him."
apoet29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:45 PM   #2
country flag lakeway11

lakeway11 has disabled reputation

no bigger Seabiscuit fan than me

"Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws." –-John Adams

"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision." - Orthodoxy, 1908

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." - Chapter 2, Heretics, 1905
lakeway11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:48 PM   #3
country flag lakeway11

"We were lucky that Seabiscuit was a pretty average-looking horse," says Hendrickson, a 49-year-old Montana rancher who was also head wrangler on "Dances With Wolves," "Wyatt Earp" and "All the Pretty Horses."

that is true...just think if they had to find a horse as handsome as Secretariat or Cigar

"Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws." –-John Adams

"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision." - Orthodoxy, 1908

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." - Chapter 2, Heretics, 1905
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM   #4
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
I really don't know the story of the horse.
But the author's story is amazing. She can barely get out of bed. She often is too weak to type. Her story should be her next book.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:59 PM   #5
country flag lakeway11

yes, her story is quite something...an athletic girl being struck down at age 19 from seemingly food poisoning and basically being bed-ridden since

i salute her for bringing to the world this most interesting story...do people know that match race with War Admiral drew over 40 million viewers at that time!!!...one of the most watched sporting events ever

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:01 PM   #6
country flag decemberlove

decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute
animal abuse supporters!

....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.

decemberlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:05 PM   #7
country flag lakeway11

u have a warped mind d-love if u think that

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:08 PM   #8

decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute
oh here we go again, someone that doesnt know me telling me i have a warped mind. are you gonna blame it on the drugs again?

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:14 PM   #9
country flag King Satan
Team WTAworld

King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road
Horses are to be eaten, not raced on a track with midget jockies on top of them!
King Satan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:15 PM   #10

joe shut the fuck up before i cook you and feed you to my dog!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:17 PM   #11
country flag King Satan
Team WTAworld

King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
joe shut the fuck up before i cook you and feed you to my dog!
dogs are not worthy of such a great meal! Hmph!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:20 PM   #12
country flag lakeway11

nothing to do with you...it goes for anyone who knows nothing about the sport of horse racing having such distorted opinions...abuse goes on in this sport just as such does in every facet of life...and i suppose the thousands and upon thousands that send flowers and gifts to Secretariat each year are horse haters...and the thousands that cried silly upon of hearing of his death have no feelings whatsoever about the thoroughbred...get some perspective

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:22 PM   #13
country flag King Satan
Team WTAworld

hey guys, how come they don't let midgets become jockies?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:22 PM   #14
country flag lakeway11

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Satan
Horses are to be eaten, not raced on a track with midget jockies on top of them!
well Joe in Japan they do both...except the thoroughbreds are bred to run while other type breeds are bred for food (yuk )

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:23 PM   #15
country flag King Satan
Team WTAworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeway11
well Joe in Japan they do both...except the thoroughbreds are bred to run while other type breeds are bred for food (yuk )
yummy!

lol