Is golf a sport? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: sport or not

yes, it's a sport 22 56.41%
no, it's just a game 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM   #1
tazban1

tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is golf a sport?

Okay, according to the dictionary definition, it would be a sport. But according to the dictionary definition, almost anything is a sport.

To me, it's just a game, not a sport. Of course, a sport is also a game, but a game isn't necessarily a sport.

I think a sport should require great athleticism and I don't think golf is all that athletic. The most athletic aspects of golf is walking and carrying the clubs, and neither are technically part of the actual game so they shouldn't count.

I also don't consider these to be sports: car racing, any type of animal racing or equestrian (I suppose it would be a sport to the animal, but not the human), hunting, billiards, archery, spelling bees, chess, bowling, curling
tazban1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:25 AM   #2
country flag King Satan
Team WTAworld

King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road King Satan is on a distinguished road
no, it's a game. if fatass john daly can play golf, then it's a game lol

I consider these to be real sports: Auto Racing, Boxing, Martial Arts Fighting, and.......damn, i forgot the other one

anyways, to me those are real sports, cos you can die at any moment.

*thinking of the other one i left out *
King Satan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM   #3
propi

propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute
Yep
Du temps
"

propi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:29 AM   #4
country flag carot
Mean Admin Machine
Admeanistrator

carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute
Sure it is, why not?

You don't have to be a "great athlete" (cf. your definition of a sport) to play tennis or to play football/soccer either. Or what about volleyball, basketball, handball? Jeez, nothing would be a sport except cycling, triathlon, marathon and stuff where you really have to go deep into your ressources.

[Once we were called secret admirers, now we are just called stalkers.]

[Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you.]
carot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:52 AM   #5
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
I guess you need some coordination too play golf. I don't think you can be really good in a few days like with bowling
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:58 AM   #6
tazban1

tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point tazban1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by carot
You don't have to be a "great athlete" (cf. your definition of a sport) to play tennis or to play football/soccer either.
I didn't say you have to be a "great athlete" I wrote that it should require "great athleticism", which are two completely different things. i.e. it should require a lot of physical exertion, not that the person doing it has to be a top athlete.

Tennis - requires , speed, reflexes, strength, flexibility - you run several miles throughout the match.

Basketball - again, you have to run throughout the game, you have to have quick reflexes

Martial arts - again, strength, flexibility, speed

boxing - constantly moving your feet and arms - strength, quickness, reflexes, stamina

volleyball - strength, reflexes
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:12 AM   #7
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
Why should I accept some arbitrary definition? Of course it's a sport.

Not that it matters. What difference does it make what you call it? It requires the abilities that it requires. These either interest you or they don't.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:14 AM   #8

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
Furthermore, why do you say "just" a game? Isn't this rather tendentious? The "game" of chess (I don't argue that it is a sport) is a more wonderful thing that any sport IMHO.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:25 AM   #9
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
It's a game like Chess and Croquet.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:32 AM   #10
tazban1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouissant
Furthermore, why do you say "just" a game? Isn't this rather tendentious? The "game" of chess (I don't argue that it is a sport) is a more wonderful thing that any sport IMHO.
I'm not giving it a value by writing "just". As I wrote in my initial post - a sport is a sport and a game whereas a game is not necessarily a sport. It's sort of like saying "just a friend". A romantic partner is normally also a friend but a friend isn't necessarily a romantic partner. That doesn't diminish the value of the friend. i.e. one label is included in two factions, whereas the other is included in only one so "just" is used.

Quote:
Why should I accept some arbitrary definition? Of course it's a sport.
Who said you did? But you should be able to define your own terms. If you don't agree with mine, give your own definition and argue it instead of just lashing out.

Quote:
Not that it matters. What difference does it make what you call it? It requires the abilities that it requires. These either interest you or they don't..
What difference does anything that gets talked about here make?
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazban1
What difference does anything that gets talked about here make?
Well, that bit is certainly true.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM   #12
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
it depends on how you define a sport. golfers still need things like technique and so on to actually play well and it is mental. it does have a physical side to it so it is hard to argue against it being a sport. you can't say they don't physically go up against each other because the same thing occurs in swimming and athletics. it's something that doesn't seem like a sport but when you really think about it youo can't really say it isn't.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM   #13
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest problem I have is that these Golfers strut around pretending to be some kind of athletes when they're not. Half of them are overweight. I'm fitter than most of them. The only reason why they're good at their 'sport' is because they can afford to get into those country clubs. The real athletes are those on the tracks, football fields and tennis courts.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:58 AM   #14
tazban1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
it depends on how you define a sport. golfers still need things like technique and so on to actually play well and it is mental. it does have a physical side to it so it is hard to argue against it being a sport. you can't say they don't physically go up against each other because the same thing occurs in swimming and athletics. it's something that doesn't seem like a sport but when you really think about it youo can't really say it isn't.
Yes, I understand that. That's why I wrote what I think a sport is. I can respect other people's opinion, I just think that an opinion should be based on set definitions: if not mine, they should give one.

I guess to define my opinion of a sport more clearly: I think it should be a competitive activity that requires a lot of physical exertion and the person doing it should provide most of the effort. The body has to be honed to match the specific activities required of the sport.

That's why I consider swimming a sport: because you have to exert a lot of physical effort throughout the whole thing and you have to be fit to do it well, whereas in golf it's 95% skill and strategy.

Last edited by tazban1 : Jul 22nd, 2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 11:28 AM   #15

Hmmmm, the primary meaning given in the Macquarie Dictionary is:

"an activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, usu. requiring some degree of physical prowess, as hunting, fishing, racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, etc."

Other dictionaries seem to give even wider definitions.

So, as the first post said, golf is a sport when you apply dictionary definitions. That'll do me. I don't see any need to make up some definition of my own.