So...when do you think they'll wake up? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:44 AM   #1
country flag kell

kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough kell is a jewel in the rough
So...when do you think they'll wake up?

This is a complaining thread. I need to vent. When will Australians wake up and acknowledge women's tennis and Alicia Molik? They're not sexist (for example, in swimming the women are almost as well known as the men), but they only support winners. The stugglers, who are the ones in real need of support, are forgotten. It's so frustrating how little known Alicia is amongst my sports fanatic friends. Until she gets into the top twenty and makes at least the semi finals at the Australian Open, she'll always be known as "Alicia who?".

ALICIA FOR PRIME MINISTER
kell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:00 AM   #2
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
some people in the crowd near me were disrespectful to the likes of alicia, nicole and sam cos i usually have convos with the ppl arouind me during the change-overs. they just kept comparing alicia, sam etc to the likes of Evonne which is kinda absurd and they didnt think the girls would be advancing much more than they currently are!

i think alicia and sam are both top 20 bound, alicia getting there first due to her experience but sam to follow
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:15 AM   #3
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
actually i've always thought that male athletes in australia have always been more acknowledged. but i agree that womens tennis in australia needs a better look. molik isn't the best player but she has made some big leaps and bounds this year and it is a shame that she hasn't been acknowledged for it. i hope that if alicia gets consistently good slam results and one very good one e.g. a quarter-final or better then she will be better acknowledged. i'm also hoping sam can help womens tennis in australia because she has a lot of talent.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 02:04 PM   #4
country flag azza

azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute
Poor Molik loseing 8-10 in the final set
azza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 02:30 PM   #5
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by azza
Poor Molik loseing 8-10 in the final set
No poor for Alicia... she played her best games in last two sets, actually. I was there and saw the whole match. Fabiola played her best games as well.

This is my signature. Pretty neat, isn't it?
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:31 PM   #6
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Question: not counting Rev. Court, who has a "non-tennis agenda", how much public support do the retired players like Evonne, Pat, Rocket Rod, etc. give to the Ozzie women, esp. Punch? (BTW, them doing so for Pratt would only weaken the credibility of statements promoting Alicia and Sam, IMO).

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:39 AM   #7
country flag broncosven

broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute broncosven has a reputation beyond repute
You always notie that davis cup results and mens atp tour results make the news (hewitt and phillaposis)

but u rarely ever hear about aussies in fed cup and wta events

hopefully in the future a few women will get higher and then the chicks game will get more of the coverage and news it deserves

Alicia Molik~Nicole Pratt~Samantha Stosur~Christina Wheeler

Nicole Kriz~Monique Adamczak~Isabella Holland~Jessica Moore

Emily Hewson~Trudi Musgrave~Sophie Ferguson~Casey Dellacqua
broncosven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote