Is Squash a good building block for starting out in Tennis? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 29th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1
country flag Skinz
Veni, vidi, vici.

Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute
Is Squash a good building block for starting out in Tennis?

I have been playing a lot of it lately, and i was just wondering how many of the skills are transferable to the tennis court, should i ever get round to having lessons. Anyone else here start out playing squash and moved onto tennis? appreciative of any advice on the subject
Skinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #2
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Squash a good building block for starting out in Tennis?

Football is pretty good too.
ElusiveChanteuse is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
country flag Martao

Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao Martao

I play both tennis and squash, although I played tennis long before I played squash. I have to say the hitting technique is much different. Also, the way of footwork is completely inside out. For example, with squash you dont mind a lot of distance between you and the ball and you take a big step to reach it, but for tennis you always want to be next to the ball and you focus your position with small steps. Also, you typically play squash from an open position I think (i'm not that good though, so I may be wrong), while in tennis you play typically from a closed body position (even though the top players dont do this because they are awesome); the net effect is that you have your other food forward typically.

Anyhow, I dont want to discourage you too much I can play both, but it is not ideal. For becoming a better squash player, I would have to change a few things that I have done in tennis for a long time.

Last edited by Martao : Aug 31st, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Martao is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #4
country flag LeatherRatson

LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future LeatherRatson has a brilliant future

I play tennis regularly but I played squash for the first time today. It was so fun. It's generally easy to play although me and my brother found the serve difficult but maybe it's because it was the first time we played (I'm not sure if we even did it right..).. I actually found the movements quite similar, you have to move really well to play squash I think and also the anticipation of the ball is quite similar. But actual hitting technique is very different. Although I like in squash how you can really whack the ball, which is not always so much the case in tennis.
LeatherRatson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #5
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Um, no. Completely different stroke mechanics. Might help in hand eye coordination but that's about it.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #6
country flag hdfb

hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute hdfb has a reputation beyond repute

No. Squash and badminton are much more alike. Tennis is so very different.
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 04:47 AM   #7
country flag The Walking Bye

The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute

No, actually it is quite bad for tennis, especially if you are developing your strokes. Squash prompts wrist movement and flicking, the exact things which screw up a tennis player.

Don't let this dissuade you from playing, but make your sure don't transfer your strokes to tennis.

Rankings: Singles Rank: 124 Race: 122 Doubles Rank: 143 Race: 65
Titles:
Singles: Aning 25K 2014 Doubles: Barnstaple 25K 2014
The Walking Bye is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 01:41 PM   #8
country flag joeh37

joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of joeh37 has much to be proud of

It is great for fitness and mentality training. However, actual technique has few similarities. If you want your squash to improve try badminton the wrist movement is fairly similar. All squash and badminton give you on the tennis court is anticipation and agility.

Source: County level Badminton player who has dabbled in tennis and squash.

Thankyou for years of service to British tennis

@Joeh_37
joeh37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 01:59 PM   #9
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

It's great for fitness, and quick footwork (as is racketball). The footwork element is handiest for a tennis player as it makes you sharper on those first couple of steps. However, squash is a very wristy sport and too much wrist is bad for tennis. A good tennis player probably plays squash better than a good squash player does tennis. I'd develop your tennis strokes first before you get too into squash and develop bad (tennis) habits.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2014, 05:19 PM   #10
country flag mauresmofan

mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute mauresmofan has a reputation beyond repute

I play a lot of squash but not much tennis these days. Like a lot of people say squash is brilliant for your fitness, speed, anticipation and footwork but hitting is very different. The one element that works well for both sports is the slice shot but you use your legs a lot more in squash as you've to get down low. Squash is probably very good to develop your volley as well so you try to take time away from your opponent by being as proactive on the "T" as much as possible and that demands having good control on your volley and placing it where it needs to go.

Personally I prefer to play squash as it requires you to really dig deep and compete in lung busting rally after lung busting rally but as for watching I much prefer to watch tennis being played well.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #11
LoLex
What did she say? - She said: "I will kill you" :o

LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute LoLex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinz View Post
I have been playing a lot of it lately, and i was just wondering how many of the skills are transferable to the tennis court, should i ever get round to having lessons. Anyone else here start out playing squash and moved onto tennis? appreciative of any advice on the subject
Fast reaction but nothing else really. I coached few people who wanted to learn playing tennis after playing squash for some time and it was almost impossible to teach them proper technique as they already had some kind of movement, shot preparation and the way of hitting the ball that was completely wrong. Those kind of things are hard to change.
LoLex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #12
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walking Bye View Post
No, actually it is quite bad for tennis, especially if you are developing your strokes. Squash prompts wrist movement and flicking, the exact things which screw up a tennis player.

Don't let this dissuade you from playing, but make your sure don't transfer your strokes to tennis.
Exactly this.
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote