You've Come a Long Way Baby(70's tennis) - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:04 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not surprised she hit hard. Like ballchange said, it ticks me off when it is suggested that Evert(or put another name in from the past) etc couldn't make it today. Well, of course not with wood racquets! But could today's power hitters beat then going back in time and having to play with wood? The errors would be horrible to watch. Everyone adapts to their time and era-and Evert, Navratilova and the 70's -80's crew had it tougher than most, going from small wood weapons to mid and large size metal in the middle of their careers. That alone proves to me they could adapt.

Thanks for all the Durr background tennisvideos She should certainly make the hall of fame!

I've remembered a couple of strange places the women played at. King, Durr, Jones, and Casals were with the men on a pro tour in 1968 and some arenas were very makeshift. One French site had a cement court that had been poured only the day or so before. The thing was, the dimensions were EXACTLY where the lines were. King says she they had to serve then hop up on to the court! Bet line calls were no problem!

The other odd venue was Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1971, the first full Slims tour. The "indoor" court was a converted barn with stringed bulbs for lights. They didn't return the next year.

Last edited by Rollo : Jan 28th, 2002 at 09:15 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #32
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if anyone still has any videos of Morozova's matches. I doubt it though..
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:16 PM   #33
Cashman

Cashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting to read the depth of the rivalries. However, from what I've read Billie Jean King had a genuine admiration for Maria Bueno. Bueno decided to make a comeback in the mid-1970's. I believe she made the Round of 16 at Wimbledon in 1976. In 1977, she returned and faced Billie Jean King in an early round and Billie Jean was emotional during and after the match. King won in straight sets but Billie Jean found herself holding back until she said that she couldn't get all choked up over playing Bueno and wind up losing the match. After the match, Billie Jean said "In her day she was so marvelous to
watch,...but it was painful to play her today. I wanted to remember her as she was." Bueno was quite classy, happy to be playing at the Championships, and responded "I have always loved tennis, and still enjoy playing. I've had my glory"
Cashman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:44 AM   #34
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
ys - I do have a few Morozova matches on video. Unfortunately she loses both of the singles matches I have, but I also have her competing in a Legends event in 1995 - it was broadcast on TV in the States and the promoters sent me a tape. It included Navratilova, Evert, Austin, Durr, Morozova, Wade, Stove, Richey etc. Feel free to email me about it.

Rollo - thanks for the stories on the Womens Pro Tour! Wasn't that a classic about the cement court only being the dimensions of the court and having to step up to play! Hilarious.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:42 AM   #35
Jordan.

Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road Jordan. is on a distinguished road
Go Billie Jean King!
Jordan. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2002, 11:08 AM   #36
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
King could afford to be more charitable towards Maria than Court, as their careers didn't intersect so much due to Maria's many injuries and age. Poor Maria was hurt before the pro game got going, so she missed out on the big time money. In her day though, Maria was resented by many for demanding all the perks and "under the table" money she could get, which was a lot because of her popularity.

Women's finals in Rome during the 1960's often were played on back courts in front of crowds of 50 or so. When "La Diva" Bueno was on, she got center court and thousands came. The USTA could force King to play the US Nationals for free(ditto for Court in Australia), but Bueno was rumoured to get big bucks whereever she appeared.

Bueno on herself:

"To me, tennis was more an art than a sport. I was a very naturalplayer. Everything was done by impulse or intuition."

"I was never satisfied if I did not play beautifully. I was always going for perfect and the impossible shots".

Maria was famous for a gorgeous over the shoulder backhand overhead.

King on Court:

"Everybody loved to watch Maria because she was so graceful, even more balletic than Goolagong, I would say,because Maria had much longer, real showgirl legs.And she had magnificnet court presence. ..I mean, maria was a real star turn. She even kept herself aloof from the other players, whixh added to her aura, and along with her height and big serve, it helped her to intimidate the others. Althea Gibson had also been a lot like that when she played. She scarred all the girls" * Helen Wills was like this too, and I'd put Venus down as an "aloof" type*.

King continues: .."as far as tennis was concerned I never thought maria knew what was going on out there. She was a con, really, because it would have been blasphemy for anybodt to suggest that someone who looked so good might be lacking.
But in truth, Maria was pretty slow. As graceful as she appeared, Maria was somewhat knock-kneed, walked like a duck."

The "latin flair"added to her exotic appeal. When Maria and fellow Latin Olmedo won Wimbledon in 1959, the first dance, reserved for the men's and ladies champs, was a cha-cha-cha. For 50 years striaght it had been a waltz.

One woman who didn't care for Bueno once told Tinling(who designed so many of Maria's fab dresses): " No wonder Maria Bueno is so popular in England. She has a boy's legs and most Englishmen are fags anyway".
Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:51 PM   #37
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
We on Russian Forum had quite an interesting thread about one of Russian tennis stars of 70s.. You might want to have a look.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4478
Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:55 AM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thank you for bringing that to our attention ysIt made for interesting reading. Yes, poor Natasha was a victim, but so was Olga. After 1976 she never again played in a grand slam event, which is a shame. BTW, do you know where that first article came from? I have a Chmreva article from Tennis Australia, written in 1992 or 1993.
Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:03 AM   #39
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

I don't know. The guy who posted is here is not a frequent poster. We could ask him if he surfaces again. Could you post that article from Tennis Australia?
Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:44 AM   #40
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I'll see if I can find it ys.
Old Jan 30th, 2002, 03:42 PM   #41
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
A bit of dirt on BJK and Evert...

When Chris first came out, many of the players were bitchy to her. BJK in an doco I have on tape said that 'Chris was great for womens tennis'.
BUT
When Chris wiped Billy out once in a match, BJK was very bitchy and said: good luck to all you girls with double hand backhands. She also wasn't happy when a very young Chris picked Bobby Riggs to win the battle of the sexes match.

Reading Margaret Courts first auotbiography (she was still playing when this came out) it seemed that earlier in her careers she got along OK with BJK. Tho they were quite opposites they never seemed to publicy slang each other which the likes of BJK, Martina, Chris, Hana have done to each other.

Not that they gave out compliments either!!! After their epic Wimbledon final something like 14-12 10-8 in 1970, years later both said that it wasn't the greatest match they had ever played in. However many other people disagree. BJK said that it was of a lower standard because of the injuries they both had!

When Margaret came back before her grandslam in 1970 she was thrashed by BJK at the Aust Open finals. BJK said nicely that Margaret would need another 12 months before anyone would see her best.

I wonder that because they lived in such different circles whether they really didn't care to comment on each other much???
Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:06 AM   #42
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
Just thought I would bump this wonderful thread
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2002, 12:50 PM   #43
Sal U. Lite

Sal U. Lite is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't get into tennis until the late 80's, but I LOVE this thread. Cheers to the pioneers!

Sal U. Lite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:56 AM   #44
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Nancy Richey

Yes, we have to keep bumping this thread to prominence. To help out.. here's a note on Nancy Richey... an underrated player and a lovely woman.

Nancy won the 1968 French Open Womens Singles Final, was runner up to Margaret Court in the 69 US Open Final and won the Wimbledon Doubles with Maria Bueno in 1966. I think she also won the US Clay Court championships 7 times and was ranked #2 in the world at one stage in the 60s. For many years throughout the 60s Nancy was ranked higher than Billie-Jean King in the US National rankings.

I recently sent Nancy Richey some videos of some of her matches from the 60s and 70s. Nancy had never seen footage of herself playing - except for the odd point here and there on a highlights tape, so she was thrilled to get this footage. She wrote to tell me that she had invited her friends and family over to watch some of the matches and they were so excited. That was great - just to hear back from her. But Nancy was even more appreciative than just that, she went to the trouble of sending me one of her old Teddy Tinling playing outfits, an old tennis racket and some great photos (including some of her little Jack Russell dog Paco who looks like a twin of mine!). What a wonderful woman!

Long live Nancy Richey! Tennis Legend.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2002, 07:36 AM   #45
country flag Philbo

Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute Philbo has a reputation beyond repute
Craig - Is that the dress that you have stadning in your house??

Is that Nancey Richey's actual dress????

WOWser!!! Good for you!!

Then again, youve provided so many people with hours of fun and enjoyement, you deserve all those type of thanks you's!!!!
Philbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote