A few notes from SI's Wertheim - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #1
country flag Albireo

Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute
A few notes from SI's Wertheim

A nice wrap-up of Roland Garros 2003 from Sports Illustrated's Jon Wertheim:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...06/09/mailbag/

Of particular note to this forum is Wertheim's comment about an upcoming coaching change for a big-name player. Is the handwriting on the wall for Nigel Sears here?

This would be a horrible mistake. But, as we've seen with the Fed Cup, the people behind DH's career aren't above making horrible mistakes.

Also of note is Wertheim's trashing of DH's cocktail dress. I thought it was well above the standard 21st-century women's tennis attire, myself-- and way better than anything she's worn on-court since.
(Go ahead and write Wertheim in defense of the dress! Just be polite and sensible-- he's one of the good guys in sportswriting, and he's a fan of DH.)
Albireo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #2
country flag daniela's necklace

daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road
what did Martin Hingis do wrong at the French Open in 1999?
daniela's necklace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #3
country flag Albireo

Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute Albireo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela's necklace
what did Martin Hingis do wrong at the French Open in 1999?
She complained about line calls a bit too much for the fans-- at one point crossing to Steffi Graf's side of the court to rub out a ball-mark she disagreed with. BIG no-no. The fans booed everything she did for the rest of the match, and after she lost-- it was very close-- she left the court in tears and had to be coaxed back by her mother to accept the runner-up trophy. Easily the worst moment in Hingis' career.

Even Graf acknowledged that the crowd played a part in her victory.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #4
country flag daniela's necklace

daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road daniela's necklace is on a distinguished road
so there's something about the crowd at RG ehh?
daniela's necklace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #5
country flag beauty_is_pink
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela's necklace
so there's something about the crowd at RG ehh?

yeh.. they're EVERY into the tennis game i can tell you that for sure.. i never expected to be overwhelmed by the French..!

they are nice people too.. people say they arrogant.. i dont find that at all..

but when they see a good match they cheer you on like crazy.. dont wanna get on THEIR bad side
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #6
country flag paulhc

paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo
She complained about line calls a bit too much for the fans-- at one point crossing to Steffi Graf's side of the court to rub out a ball-mark she disagreed with. BIG no-no. The fans booed everything she did for the rest of the match, and after she lost-- it was very close-- she left the court in tears and had to be coaxed back by her mother to accept the runner-up trophy. Easily the worst moment in Hingis' career.

Even Graf acknowledged that the crowd played a part in her victory.
And you forgot a huge detail : she climbed to the umpire's chair to discuss with her face-to-face !
paulhc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #7
country flag Albireo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhc
And you forgot a huge detail : she climbed to the umpire's chair to discuss with her face-to-face !

Believe it or not, I don't even remember that happening!

Still, it all makes the Serena/Henin feud look like small potatoes....

I was actually uncomfortable watching that match, and I think I got up and left.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #8
country flag paulhc

paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future paulhc has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo
Believe it or not, I don't even remember that happening!

Still, it all makes the Serena/Henin feud look like small potatoes....

I was actually uncomfortable watching that match, and I think I got up and left.

Yeah, Hingis climbed, and the discussion was quite "muscled" with Anne Lasserre-Ulrich, the chair umpire !
paulhc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #9
country flag Albireo

Out of curiosity, has anyone written Wetheim to defend the cocktail dress?