Tennis Forum banner

Despite Serena losing, I'm still happy the crowd acted they way they did

1K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Monique 
#1 ·
I've always always wanted tennis to take a more active approach to live matches.

The old way of lightly appluading a winner is bullshit. The game has to be modern and attract new fans. That's why we get shit coverage, because this doesn't appeal to the masses.

NOW....what the crowd did today will appeal to the masses. The booing, the jeering, the chanting, are all reminiscent of an American NBA game which is so fun to watch and participate in.

Although I admire Oracene, I disagree with her comments. Serena is an adult and can handle her own self and the French should be applauded for finally showing how tennis fans should react.

Furthermore, the hypocrisy on the board is astounding from all sides. But that is another thread....

#3 ·
LOL, all do respect Felix, but tere are more of "them" than there are of "you".

;) Billie Jean King is a big proponent of this as well...and I've always felt that tennis needs a more active audience.

#5 ·
i'm not, not when players walk of court crying and feeling like shit i dont. Tennis is an individual sport, its much more demanding mentally to stay focused when you have 15,000 people just booing you rather than a whole team.

#6 ·
Well, I have nothing against an active crowd, I often wish German crowds would be a bit more active.
But when I see all those dumb-asses at soccer-matches, all those fanatics full of hatred against the other team and its players - I really don't want to see that at tennis-matches. I like it that (most) tennis-fans still see their sport in a light way, as a game which should just be enjoyed.

#7 ·
Bezza said:
i'm not, not when players walk of court crying and feeling like shit i dont. Tennis is an individual sport, its much more demanding mentally to stay focused when you have 15,000 people just booing you rather than a whole team.
The fans boo the individual players just as often if not more than the team in in team sports.

Joshua, I agree with you. Tennis can maintain a modicum of politeness if it wants, but is there no places for booing? Let the crowd get into the match and cheer who they want to cheer.

#8 ·
GoDominique said:
Funny, the "light applauding" as you call it is the main reason why I'm a tennis fan and not a soccer fan.
Me too. I like an enthousiastic, but still subdued crowd who applauds winners from both sides. No footballhooligans like today: yuk. And I'm Belgian :eek:

#9 ·
I basically agree that a bit of biff is good for a sport! I think that one reason why French crowds (a bit like Aussie crowds) are so knowledgeable and atmospheric is because they enjoy getting right behind a player and getting into the match. You can't have it both ways - if the crowds are into it, they are going to be a little bit vicious sometimes. On the other hand, it's better if there's a division with at least some of the crowd for each player. This often happens instinctively (at least in Aus) actually, if a crowd gets too hostile, a sizeable portion just start cheering the other way, it's very weird to watch but I think makes a nicer atmosphere.

#10 ·
I assume you are being serious and not sarcastic.

I do not agree with booing and jeering with an individual sport. A team sport is not to same to me. If you get booed and jeered in a team sport, your teammates and coach are there. You can talk to them and they can "protect" you. In an individual sport, I do not agree with it, but if it happens, then it happens. Serena IS an adult, and quite the successful one, while I think she was treated like shit today, a tennis player has to put the crowd out of her mind. Serena has done this before, but could not do it today. I think if Serena had Venus, Oracene, BJK, Chris, Monica, Alex, and some others around her between points puffing her up and helping her, it would be different. But tennis is an individual sport and Serena had none of that. Again, I think it is Serena's own fault for not ignoring the crowd, but individual sports are not the same as group ones.

#12 ·
I am not being sarcastic, I really feel this way.

Although I do get pissed at the crowd cheering against Serena, then that makes me passionnate as well to pull even MORE for Serena....thus you end up with a "rowdier" atmosphere and a more fun match to watch.

The crowd, whether you feel they are disrepsectful or not, should boo, hiss, cheer, and do whatever they want, it's their right, in my opinion (and, also whether or not this crowd was disrespectful is an opinion as well).

Furthermore, unless you are like 17 or 16, I could understand the argument for not having a team to rely on for support....but once you turn 18, you are an adult.

Only YOU can be held responsible for how YOU feel....and I pretty much think Serena feels the same way. You didn't hear her say, "Woe is me, the crowd was the reason I lost the match. I hope they ban speaking during matches."

She's a woman....she'll cry, as would most humans with emotions would, and she'll get over it tomorrow.

#14 ·
Take the booing and jeering towards Serena as a compliment. The French are huge on cheering for underdogs, and often pick on the favorites. When you get booed by them, it means your a champion...see Hingis, Sanchez-Vicario, etc.(all were booed by the French crowd)

#15 ·
There is a big big difference between an American NBA game and GS Tennis match. What the hell are you going on about?? It very rude for a crowd to do what they do in the middle of a point from missing a serve, shot whateva... NO ONE wants tennis to be like that!

I believe it was impossible not to be affeted.. Look at it this way.. if you have 15,000 ppl cheering for you it helps you ..... you cant block it out.. even monica seles said at last years US open that the crowd pulled her through. So the same goes for around 10,000 or wateva boooooing you after u make an error... how r u supposed to not be affect by such erratic behaviour?? it is clearly impossible! regardless if your 5 10 15 20 25 or even 50yrs of age.

#16 ·
i think there already exists a good cultural balance. when you go to roland garros and the us open you expect an emotional crowd who react to just about anything. at the aus open you have a pretty knowledgable crowd who only really get fired up when a big favourite is playing, but still observe most elements of common decency like not cheering with joy when a player misses a first serve (except when a few bad eggs spoil everything). and wimbledons wimbledon.

tennis is a special sport because it has class. yes you need the excitement value of the noisy crowd sometimes, but i am telling you if that went on at every tournament there would be a lot of complaining from both players, officials, and spectators who don't want to be constantly surrounded by a mob mentality.

#17 ·
amen joshua.

#18 ·
I have to agree with Josh. An active crowd would definitely boost things, maybe even give a player getting whooped a kick in the arse to do better during those 45 minute snoozefests in the early rounds.

I think the crowd was a little unfair to Serena, but it's no different than in other sports. Bottom line, the crowd wasn't hitting the ball for either player so it shouldn't be a factor. Serena herself even said she likes the feeling of silencing a crowd that's against her.

I think the best example of a perfect crowd for tennis matches was the Rafter/Ivanisevic Wimby final. Now THAT is how it should be done!

#19 ·
sorry but I disagree.

I am all for seeing the crowd more into matches, but why should that be having negative crowds booing and picking apart someone?

If you want to see crowds get into it, tell them to make banners, bring their flags, bring their *positive* cheers, not ones that are trying to throw people off in the middle of a point, of errupt in happiness after someone double faults...

I know I am asking for an 'ideal world' situation, but it beats encouraging the opposite :)

#20 ·
I think the best example of a perfect crowd for tennis matches was the Rafter/Ivanisevic Wimby final. Now THAT is how it should be done!
Oh, that was the best atmosphere ever! But could only be achieved because it was played on a Monday, which opened the opportunity for a more lively crowd... on top of being a great match, the crowd was just unbelievable, very vocal and respectful at the same time... I also agree that a more participating, if respectful crowd, tend to make matches more entertaining...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.