What it means for the runners-up... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #1
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
What it means for the runners-up...

I hate to be pessimistic but:

Kim - A second GS final lost. A second RG final lost. Two years have separated those two finals. Will doubts start to linger in her mind about her ability to win a slam?

Justine - A second GS final lost. After getting such a terrific prepration to this slam winning 2 tier I's and 2 wins over the world #1, a loss would be devastating. Especially on her best surface.

I'd hate to see either lose. However, I'd say it'd be worse for Justine to lose since this is her best surface and she is older. So I'm firmly supporting for her to win, as I have through this tournament.

Last edited by Sam L : Jun 5th, 2003 at 11:25 PM.
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Hendouble

Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point
I know, it's a pity that one has to lose. But on the flip side, we're guaranteed to have one of the Belgians fulfilling their promise and winning a Slam. I too am rooting for Henin, as the conqueror of Serena she deserves it far more than Clijsters, whose benefited from the upsets in her half enormously.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #3
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendouble
I know, it's a pity that one has to lose. But on the flip side, we're guaranteed to have one of the Belgians fulfilling their promise and winning a Slam. I too am rooting for Henin, as the conqueror of Serena she deserves it far more than Clijsters, whose benefited from the upsets in her half enormously.
Beating the player who beat Serena is all Kim has to do to be "deserving".
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #4
King Lindsay

King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Beating the player who beat Serena is all Kim has to do to be "deserving".
Perhaps .... but it's undeniable that Justine has had the harder road, and I can see the neutral pulling for her simply based on that.
King Lindsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #5
country flag TennisHack

TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all TennisHack is a name known to all
Sjengster, it's not Kim's fault her half of the draw folded on Day 7. She'd be a fool not to take advantage and get through to the final.

Both players deserve it and I expect a good match. Who has the edge? I'd say Justine because clay is clearly her best surface, but they are very close vis a vis head-to-heads, surfaces, experience, etc. I'll be supporting my #1 girl Kim, but if she loses, I wouldn't want it to be to any other person than Justine
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #6
Hendouble

Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point Hendouble is an unknown quantity at this point
Not necessarily; when you consider that Clijsters has only once beaten Serena but has a heavy advantage against Henin, it's a little unfair and very convenient that she's playing her instead of Serena in the final. I'm not trying to suggest that Clijsters isn't at all worthy of winning a Slam, it's that Henin deserves it more for the way she has reached the final with a far tougher draw.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:41 PM   #7
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
oh geez here we go. yes kim did get a damn luck road to the finals but that is tennis. juju needs to just go out and try to win. if kim wins she deserves it but if juju wins then how sweet it is to beat SCHNYDER, RUBIN, SERENA and KIM to win the title!!!
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #8
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute Havok has a reputation beyond repute
go Justine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havok is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #9
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendouble
Not necessarily; when you consider that Clijsters has only once beaten Serena but has a heavy advantage against Henin, it's a little unfair and very convenient that she's playing her instead of Serena in the final. I'm not trying to suggest that Clijsters isn't at all worthy of winning a Slam, it's that Henin deserves it more for the way she has reached the final with a far tougher draw.
I wanted Serena. I think Justine is an easier opponent for Kim, but I wanted her to take her shot at the best. Maybe its better this way, though. If she beats Justine, then she's beaten her on her best surface. If she beat Serena, it would have been on her worst. Let her take her shot at Serena on the Grass.