Williams fans: No Excuses - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #1
country flag topspin

topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold
Williams fans: No Excuses

I and many people are very proud of the way Serena came back and almost came close to defeating the top contender on clay. This says a lot about her determination, fighting spirit, and will to win. She can definitely win Roland Garros again next year.

To my fellow Serena or Williams fans please don't taint Justine's victory. Whatever factors were involved Justine won the match. Popular belief is Williams, Serena, or Venus fans are unable to accept defeat of their fave or faves. Williams fans always have excuses whenever Serena or Venus lose. Williams fans always say it was Serena's or Venus's play which were the sole reason of their losses and not because of what the opponent did.

Plus, in any tic-for-tac response it is the Williams fans which are going to come out looking as the bad guy. We are already considered the bad guy anyway but the image will be reinforced.

One of the reasons that we are feeling the backlash from the other fan bases is due to statements from the usual few smack-talking Williams fans. "Justine doesn't have a chance. Serena is the guaranteed victor or champion. Serena lost in Charleston only because she was off that day. Nobody stands a chance with a Williams in a grand slam match." Unfortunately, the rest of us who didn't make such bold predictions have to hear it from the other posters or eat crow.

How about we talk about what Serena and Venus could do to improve their overall game including their game on clay? Serena will have to come up with some kind of strategy to defeat Justine on clay.

Mary Carillo and Mary Joe kept harping on the point of the need for Serena to improve her footwork in the setting up of shots and the moving into them.

What other suggestions of improvement does anybody else have?

Last edited by topspin : Jun 7th, 2003 at 04:26 PM.
topspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #2
country flag ans

ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of ans has much to be proud of
thanx, finally a Williams fan being gracious in defeat!!
I'm incredibly happy Justine won, but I just watched serena's interview and it was touching. Finally she showed true emotions and showed herself honest and even sweet. I liked that
ans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #3
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
superb post

I'm sure Serena will be back..she's a champion. I think it's really sad that some people can't accept it that another player can be better on a certain day
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #4
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
Well it was clear to day that Serena was off in the first two sets...due in part to Juju's aggression and Serena's bad footwork...but I think Serena's major problem is LACK OF PATIENCE...

I also think that she needs to stop paying lip service to her net play and put it to work...so many times today...I was screaming come to net...lots of time Juju would float back Serena deep groundies and instead of coming to net and hitting the normal volley or a swing volley she would allow the point to restart...

I agree about no excuses...but you cant deny how she seemed to fall apart once the crowd turned hostile...that was the most unfortunate part of this match...because the drama was already high..before they started acting up...

Serena, Madison, Taylor, Sloane, Gaby, Sloane, Heather, Sachia,Victoria, Sania
Coco, Beatrice, Jessica, Christina, Lauren, Robin, Dinara, Noppy, Mia, Flavia
Kaia, Aga, Urzula, Tamira, Gisela, Timea, Veras, ALG, Klina, Wozi, Sveta, Vikas, Misa
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #5
Trajan

Trajan is an unknown quantity at this point
No Excuses, I agree

I agree that Justine totally deserved to win. She had a game plan and executed it perfectly. I am a huge fan of Serena & Venus and this was a great match for the most part. I was extremely disappointed with the end of the match, as far as the crowd is concerned. I do agree with Brandi Price that the crowd showed a lack of class. But congrats to Justine on her win.
Trajan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #6
country flag DunkMachine

DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold DunkMachine is a splendid one to behold
Noones making excuses and that victory is allready tainted. Now I'm a bit worried about Serena.

Ans
You weren't touched, you were rejoicing at the fact that she didnt seem so inhuman anymore.

STFU you flemish fry eating phucknut
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #7
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
I agree, Justine played superb and Serena didn't.

I'm pretty sure most of us are just angry with what transpired there, which is why I am upset.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #8
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
Bottomline is she lost...and what role the crowd played in her collapse in the end we will never know...Usually she deals very well with hostile crowds...today she didnt and thats what she needs to worry about more...not the loss...but how she lost the plot...because she has alot more hostile crowds to deal with in her future....

Juju played very well, but I felt that Serena was just starting to find her groove...she played a great sixth game and played great the first two points in the seventh game and just completely fell apart from there...I'm just angry because the crowd has left us with alot of what ifs...

I cant wait to hear what crazy richard is going to say about this fiasco..LOL

Serena, Madison, Taylor, Sloane, Gaby, Sloane, Heather, Sachia,Victoria, Sania
Coco, Beatrice, Jessica, Christina, Lauren, Robin, Dinara, Noppy, Mia, Flavia
Kaia, Aga, Urzula, Tamira, Gisela, Timea, Veras, ALG, Klina, Wozi, Sveta, Vikas, Misa
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #9
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
I'm sure the williams sisters have many fans like you..too bad that some individuals always give the williams fans a bad name.
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #10
country flag topspin

topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold topspin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK4ever
Well it was clear to day that Serena was off in the first two sets...due in part to Juju's aggression and Serena's bad footwork...but I think Serena's major problem is LACK OF PATIENCE...

I also think that she needs to stop paying lip service to her net play and put it to work...so many times today...I was screaming come to net...lots of time Juju would float back Serena deep groundies and instead of coming to net and hitting the normal volley or a swing volley she would allow the point to restart...

I agree about no excuses...but you cant deny how she seemed to fall apart once the crowd turned hostile...that was the most unfortunate part of this match...because the drama was already high..before they started acting up...
BK4ever, you are right about the behavior of the crowd. That is one part of the game Serena has no control over. But, she does have control on what she can do to better her game. When she has that kind of control, she can silence the crowd as she did in her quarterfinal match with Amelie.

You made some good points and ideas on things she can do next time in a match with Justine.

Serena said Billie Jean King and Zina Garrison showed her during the Fed Cup there were a LOT of areas in in her game she could improve upon. Maybe, she should seek more advise from them as to how to go about in bettering her overall game.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #11
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
classy stuff here!! great serena fans you are.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #12
country flag Mr. Man

Mr. Man has disabled reputation
Nice post Topspin.

Yes, Serena needs to stop hitting easy shots in the net and like she said work on her first serve. And I do believe the crowd got to her head and she couldn't concentrate, She needs to learn how to block that hater shit outta her head (which she has done before, But not today.) Love you Serena. Off to Wimby.

Venus & Serena: "You are my everything."

- Official Duke of the Royal Court -
Mr. Man is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #13
country flag topspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man
Nice post Topspin.

Yes, Serena needs to stop hitting easy shots in the net and like she said work on her first serve. And I do believe the crowd got to her head and she couldn't concentrate, She needs to learn how to block that hater shit outta her head (which she has done before, But not today.) Love you Serena. Off to Wimby.
BK4ever and Mr. Man, I agree Serena was somewhat shocked by the actions of the crowd..

Let's hope the events of today fuel the fire of desire within her even more. Her attitude should be like "You know there was a concentrated effort from a number people to sabatoge my goals and dreams. Just for that I am going to make a concentrated effort from this moment on to win every slam I enter."
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #14
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Only yesterday I said that someday a player will come along and outhit Serena on court.

Justine definitely did that today. Today was the first time I think I have seen Serena forced into so many errors.

But, doing that from here on out is not going to be an easy task........
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #15
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
Justine played well, and Serena made mistakes, the rest is insignificant. It was hard for Serena to except the crowd, but she still managed to get back to 5 all.

Serenas main problem today was at the net, she could't volley for toffee. The forehand broke down a lot in the first set as well.
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote