Topspin vs Flat? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #1
country flag The Walking Bye

The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute
Topspin vs Flat?

I like to play flat, it's when my shots go fastest and are most effective, however topspin increases consistency and if useful for pushing your opponent back, especially on red clay, which I spend a lot of time on.

What do you prefer?
Here a mug, there a mug
Everywhere a mugmug
Old McStacey had a farm
E-I-E-I-O.
The Walking Bye is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #2
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Topspin vs Flat?

I play with a very flat game but I learn to play in the 90's when that was in fashion. I play with an eastern grip on the FH. I much prefer that to heavier spin. I prefer short points.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #3
country flag LeatherRatson

LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of

I think a good balance of the two is the best. But it's good to mix it up as well, so hit shots from the back of the court quite flat, but hit short balls hard but with topspin.
LeatherRatson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #4
country flag zaph

zaph is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi Fan View Post
I like to play flat, it's when my shots go fastest and are most effective, however topspin increases consistency and if useful for pushing your opponent back, especially on red clay, which I spend a lot of time on.

What do you prefer?
The problem with the flat game is the margin for error.

I sometimes play a women who is a member of our clubs first team. She hits very hard flat shots, I hit with lots of spin. In the rallys it looks like she is winning, her ball is moving faster, but all I have to do is put spin on her hard hit flat balls and send them back.

Three, four shots into the rally, she hits the net. She clears the net by inches, my net clearance is measured in feet. Plus my topspin shots sometimes kick out of her hitting zone and she sends them into the back fence. If you hit flat, I think you have to get the first strike in the rally, or you will be in trouble against a player with topspin shots.
zaph is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #5
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph View Post
The problem with the flat game is the margin for error.

I sometimes play a women who is a member of our clubs first team. She hits very hard flat shots, I hit with lots of spin. In the rallys it looks like she is winning, her ball is moving faster, but all I have to do is put spin on her hard hit flat balls and send them back.

Three, four shots into the rally, she hits the net. She clears the net by inches, my net clearance is measured in feet. Plus my topspin shots sometimes kick out of her hitting zone and she sends them into the back fence. If you hit flat, I think you have to get the first strike in the rally, or you will be in trouble against a player with topspin shots.
This so much!

My strokes are hard and flat, which is all well and good and effective most of the time. But you do have to be on! If i'm put under pressure by someone with heavy topspin strokes, on a good day I can get away with it if I'm timing the ball well & can take it early, but it's not much fun & on a bad day it's not pretty at all! I hate those balls which kick up over your shoulder height!

A heavy ball will rush your opponent and push then back, producing a short ball or an error, far better than a flat rally ball - no matter how hard you hit it!

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #6
country flag Keaka

Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute Keaka has a reputation beyond repute

I play flat when warming up, it's good for my initial feel of the ball. Then I try to mix it up, if my feel on a certain day is bad, I go to flatter strokes until my feel improves. Originally my backhand was very flat and my forehand very spin, but in recent years it has become the complete opposite, even though my flat forehand still isn't as improved as my backhand spin.

When playing crosscourt, I rarely play flat, except when I'm on the run and am forced to play in open stance. The major problem of mine lately has been that I can't figure out which strings (and what tension) would suit me for playing shots with more spin - many budget strings seem to wear out and lose their friction very fast.
Keaka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #7
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Flat. Trying to add more top spin. Especially on forehand. But backhand is pure flat and forehand mostly flat.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play flat, but then my forehand got all messed up and now it's more topspin while my backhand is still mostly flat though I can hit topspin when necessary.
Petkorazzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #9
country flag mirzalover

mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute

When I was playing a lot I definitely played flat...after the 2 year break I've taken my timing is still there to a degree but I'm definitely learning to hit more topsin. I don't know why but hitting with top spin takes sooo much more energy out of me than when I'm hitting flat.
mirzalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #10
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Both, but I guess more often topspun because my errors never tend to be in the net. However, not a lot of net clearance usually either, so probably doesn't really have the benefit/effect of properly topspun shots. I should probably commit to one way or another 'cause they may be stuck in a weird in-between world.

I think I'll try and flatten out and hit harder, I can do that too, but more often than not it's a random surprise and often out of desperation. Like, the last match I played I didn't win a game but towards the end on one shot (second serve return) I was like 'fuck this shit' and hit an absolute bullet of a backhand, flat, and I swear it was the same as some pro's winner speeds . Landed right on the line and wasn't a winner but he couldn't get it back over. I can in general go for the kill on second serve returns, but in rallies I seem to struggle to hit winners. Maybe because my groundies are not flat enough yet not topspun enough either .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #11
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute

Won't hit topspin unless I'm in a really awkward position that disallows me from hitting flat. 85% of my game is flat hitting.
Always with you Ana Ivanović

Wig Snatcher Paula Kania
MichaelN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #12
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Topspin. Flat hitting is not effective against good retrievers/defenders and better players.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #13
country flag The Walking Bye

The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute The Walking Bye has a reputation beyond repute

After the great match I just played, Flat. All. The. Way.
Here a mug, there a mug
Everywhere a mugmug
Old McStacey had a farm
E-I-E-I-O.
The Walking Bye is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #14
country flag iProdigy

iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice iProdigy is just really nice

Used to play flat with an eastern grip but adjusting to semi western now and trying to hit top spin. My Two handed backhand is still flat though I dump a lot of balls from the backhand wing into the net.
iProdigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote