Patent Office Lowers the Boom - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #16
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patent Office Lowers the Boom

i saw this post on facebook

"we might as well change the name of the Eagles so eagles won't be offended! LOL!"

why is the average american so fucking dumb
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #17
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

7 Things That Convinced The U.S. Patent Office To Cancel The Redskins Trademark

By Judd Legum June 18, 2014 at 11:40 am Updated: June 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm
facebook icon 4,866Share This twitter icon 415Tweet This google plus icon email icon

"7 Things That Convinced The U.S. Patent Office To Cancel The Redskins Trademark"

The landmark decision by the U.S. Patent Office, first reported by ThinkProgress, canceled the trademark “Redskins” for Washington’s NFL franchise. Ultimately, the decision hinged on whether the term Redskins “disparages Native American persons.” The law prohibits trademarks on disparaging terms. So the Native Americans challenging the trademark needed to convince the office: 1. The term was still referring to Native Americans, and 2. It was disparaging toward Native Americans. Here are seven things that persuaded the Patent Office:
1. This picture of cheerleaders
Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 10.19.42 AM

CREDIT: USPTO

From the decision: “The Redskinettes also had appeared wearing costumes suggestive of Native Americans, as shown in the 1962 photograph of them reproduced below, which contained the title ‘Dancing Indians’ and the caption ‘Here are the Redskinettes all decked out in their Indian garb and carrying Burgundy and Gold pom-poms.’”
2. This picture of the marching band
Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 10.19.34 AM

From the decision: “The Washington Redskins marching band had worn Native American headdresses as part of its uniforms between the 1960s and the 1990s, as shown in the image below from the 1980s.”
3. This press guide
Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 10.19.54 AM

From the decision: “Between 1967 and 1979, the annual Washington Redskin press guides, shown below, displayed American Indian imagery on the cover page.”
4. Its similarity to other racial slurs

The decision cited an excerpt from the 1990 book “Unkind Words: Ethnic Labeling from Redskin to WASP”:

Nearly half of all interracial slurs …refer to real or imagined physical differences. … Most references to physical differences are to skin color, which affirms what we have always known about the significance of color in human relations. Asian groups were called yellow this and that and Native Americans were called redskins, red men, and red devils.

5. The dictionary definition of Redskins

We further note the earliest restrictive usage label in dictionary definitions in Mr. Barnhart’s report dates back to 1966 from the Random House Unabridged First Edition indicating REDSKIN is “Often Offensive.” From 1986 on, all of the entries presented by Mr. Barnhart include restrictive usage labels ranging from
“not the preferred term” to “often disparaging and offensive.”

6. The opposition by the National Congress of American Indians

The decision cites a 1992 resolution from the organization:

[T]he term REDSKINS is not and has never been one of honor or respect, but instead, it has always been and continues to be a pejorative, derogatory, denigrating, offensive, scandalous, contemptuous, disreputable,
disparaging and racist designation for Native American’s

7. Letters of protest from Native Americans

The Patent Office also considered letters protesting the name from individual Native Americans. One sample:

Since you continue not to believe that the term “Redskins” is not [sic] offensive to anyone, let me make this clear: The name “Redskins” is very offensive to me and shows little human interest or taste…If you think you are preserving our culture or your history, then may I suggest a change? To live up to your name, your team would field only two men to the opponents eleven. Your player’s wives would be required to face the men of the opposing team. After having lost every game in good faith, you would be required to remain in RFK stadium’s end zone for the rest of your life living off what the other teams had left you. (Which wouldn’t be much.) Since you would probably find this as distasteful as 300,000 Indians do, I would suggest a change in name. In sticking to your ethnic theme, I would suggest the Washington ******s as a start. … This would start a fantastic trend in the league. We would soon be blessed with the San Fransisco [sic] Chinks, New York Jews, Dallas Wetbacks, Houston Greasers, and the Green Bay Crackers. Great, huh? Mr. Williams, these would be very offensive to many people, just as Redskins is offensive to myself and others. You can take a stand that would show you and the team as true believers in civil rights, or you can continue to carry a name that keeps alive a threatening stereotype to Indian people. People, Mr. Williams. We don’t want the Redskins!
http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014...ins-trademark/
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker

Last edited by mykarma : Jun 18th, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
mykarma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #18
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the USPTO should be involved, but I do understand why people would feel upset about this.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #19
country flag SocaBrainwash

SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhousesupporter View Post
Well, when someone comes out with a team called "The N*****s" with a picture of Mandingo, I hope I can be as proud of the name and image as the Native Americans are supposed to be.

This really isn't hard.

None of the concepts are hard.

I think people who support the team and have pride in the team are intentionally misreading the situation so they don't give in to what they perceive as being PC. In actuality, it's having some damn common sense and respect for people not like them.
SocaBrainwash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #20
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhousesupporter View Post
I don't think the USPTO should be involved, but I do understand why people would feel upset about this.
Since the grievance was brought to them didn't the USPTO have to look at their grievance?
Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #21
country flag mykarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2notrump View Post

This really isn't hard.

None of the concepts are hard.

I think people who support the team and have pride in the team are intentionally misreading the situation so they don't give in to what they perceive as being PC. In actuality, it's having some damn common sense and respect for people not like them.
Wish I had this gif to give to you for your comment.

Cory Booker
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #22
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
A good example of a harmless nickname.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #23
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they can change their name to the Bullets since that's available in Washington.

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #24
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
The USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office, the bolded word being the relevant one here) ought to stay the fuck out of this. Clearly, Dan Snyder has valid ownership for NFL purposes of the use of the Redskins logo (as the late Jack Kent Cooke did for many years) though IMO he should change it.

He also owns the copyright on said commercial use of the name itself, governed by the Library of Congress. But just as the OP ITT had no problem with the illicit taping of Donald Sterling's indeed ugly words being used in the pending forced sale of the Clippers, I presume she's also OK with this case of "the ends justify the means".

Whatever happened to the genuinely empowering concept of the boycott, whether by Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King against the Montgomery, AL bus company (bankrupting the owners, FWIW) or against the apartheid regime in South Africa.
That would require personal sacrifice on the part of the protester, which would cut into their valuable Twitter/Facebook/Tennis Forum time.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #25
country flag wta_zuperfann
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute wta_zuperfann has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax;
A good example of a harmless nickname.

Especially since it is only a reference to shirt colors, not to skin tone.

Abraham Lincoln
wta_zuperfann is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #26
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wta_zuperfann View Post
The NZ soccer team is The All-Whites for the same reason.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #27
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Fully in support of this, but ridiculous that they didn't also bring the Cleveland Indians down with it.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #28
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Fully in support of this, but ridiculous that they didn't also bring the Cleveland Indians down with it.
The Indians organization has slowly been phasing out their "Indian" imagery, especially the old "Chief Wahoo" over the years and replacing it entirely with the block "C" and script "Cleveland." The old (and stereotypical) Chief isn't completely gone, but he's fading fast.

I think that while there are many people who would like to see the organization eliminate the Indian name entirely, the fact they have at least shown some sensitivity makes them less of a target.

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #29
country flag Vlover

Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute Vlover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wta_zuperfann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
The NZ soccer team is The All-Whites for the same reason.
Hey, why are you two trying to mess with Williamsser's "beautiful mind". Of course the use of "Blacks" & "Whites" are synonymous with skin color
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #30
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlover View Post
Hey, why are you two trying to mess with Williamsser's "beautiful mind". Of course the use of "Blacks" & "Whites" are synonymous with skin color
I'm more worried about the St. John's changing their name from the Redmen to the Red Storm. Clearly, the university has been taken over by the communists.