Patent Office Lowers the Boom - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #1
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute
Patent Office Lowers the Boom

U.S. Patent and Trademark office cancels protection of Washington team name
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Dallas Cowboys v Washington Redskins Getty Images

Whenever the government gets involved in the question of whether the Washington NFL team should change its name, people who support the current name ask whether the government has anything better to do. For one specific agency of the government, the answer is a resounding no.

That’s the same one-word response the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has supplied regarding the question of whether the name should continue to enjoy federal trademark protection. Via the Washington Post, the agency has canceled the registration, calling the name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” attorney Jesse Witten of Drinker Biddle & Reath told the Post.

It was indeed a long time coming, with the first challenge to the name filed back in 1992. The initial case failed on a technicality that the plaintiffs believe has been remedied in this case.

Moving forward, appeals are certain and lawyers will get paid and the issue won’t be settled for months if not years. In the interim, the ruling will serve only to give more momentum to the increasingly loud and persuasive voices that oppose the name.

If the name, after all appeals, is deemed to not be protected by trademark laws, anyone and everyone will be able to sell merchandise bearing the name and colors without the team having the ability to enforce its rights through legal action. While that may not be enough to compel owner Daniel Snyder to abandon his all-caps-never and/or “over my dead body” insistence on keeping the name, it would be the first tangible evidence of an economic consequence for continuing to cling to a name that the ever-evolving English language has over the slow march of time discarded from the list of socially acceptable terms.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5507169.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #2
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patent Office Lowers the Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
the ever-evolving English language has over the slow march of time discarded from the list of socially acceptable terms.
OKay. I can go with that. OTOH if "white" and "black" are still acceptable. Plus, revoking a trademark based on a change in "social acceptable" would seem to be a dangerous precedent. "Much of the public doesn't like your company's name anymore, we're revoking your trademark." ?? The lunatics are running the asylum.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #3
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
OKay. I can go with that. OTOH if "white" and "black" are still acceptable. Plus, revoking a trademark based on a change in "social acceptable" would seem to be a dangerous precedent. "Much of the public doesn't like your company's name anymore, we're revoking your trademark." ?? The lunatics are running the asylum.

Funny....I don't see anyone going after the Red Soxs......must be something other than the color....Blackhawks are fine.....white soxs are fine.....what am I missing?
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #4
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

The USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office, the bolded word being the relevant one here) ought to stay the fuck out of this. Clearly, Dan Snyder has valid ownership for NFL purposes of the use of the Redskins logo (as the late Jack Kent Cooke did for many years) though IMO he should change it.

He also owns the copyright on said commercial use of the name itself, governed by the Library of Congress. But just as the OP ITT had no problem with the illicit taping of Donald Sterling's indeed ugly words being used in the pending forced sale of the Clippers, I presume she's also OK with this case of "the ends justify the means".

Whatever happened to the genuinely empowering concept of the boycott, whether by Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King against the Montgomery, AL bus company (bankrupting the owners, FWIW) or against the apartheid regime in South Africa.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #5
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhousesupporter View Post
Funny....I don't see anyone going after the Red Soxs......must be something other than the color....Blackhawks are fine.....white soxs are fine.....what am I missing?
That POV is some kind of funny, thank goodness he's one of those annoying posters that's in my recycleable bin. SMH
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #6
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
That POV is some kind of funny, thank goodness he's one of those annoying posters that's in my recycleable bin. SMH
What is funny MYKARMA, is that you never have anything to say about the actual points so you keep trotting out personal attacks. Please do us both a favor and put me on your ignore list. Thanks.

Last edited by pov : Jun 18th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #7
country flag pov

Quote:

Yes, good point because those names you mention are based on "black" and "white" as used for groups of people.

Would there be an uproar if it was the Washington Indians or Washington Native Americans? If not then why is it okay to use "white" and "black" for groups of people but not "red."?
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #8

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Well.....when I get my first billion....I am going to create an expansion team call the Callifornia Yellows.......

This is going to be my mascot. Lets see how far I can get.

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #9
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member

Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute

Williamsser is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #10
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

So now anybody can use the name. It will be everywhere.
buddyholly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #11
country flag pov

Quote:
Well.....when I get my first billion....I am going to create an expansion team call the Callifornia Yellows.......

This is going to be my mascot. Lets see how far I can get.

- That's more like:

IMO a logo that sucks and does warrant public outrage. Including a goofy/disparaging logo doesn't speak to the terminology itself. I could do bhs Whites and find an equally disparaging caricature.

-
That IMO shows a proud, strong Native American.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #12
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Ridiculous to pick on Washington when Cleveland is way more tasteless. Even the skin is red.
buddyholly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #13
country flag pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Ridiculous to pick on Washington when Cleveland is way more tasteless. Even the skin is red.
Yes. Still, the hoopla is about the term Redskins not the logo.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
- That's more like:

-
That IMO shows a proud, strong Native American.
Well, when someone comes out with a team called "The N*****s" with a picture of Mandingo, I hope I can be as proud of the name and image as the Native Americans are supposed to be.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #15
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, when someone comes out with a team called "The N*****s" with a picture of Mandingo, I hope I can be as proud of the name and image as the Native Americans are supposed to be.
thank you!!! that term does not merely describe ethnic origin, it is a racial slur