Moving to New York in a few months... - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #31
country flag motorhead

motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of
Re: Moving to New York in a few months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck View Post
I saw a really big one on the rails in the subway...which I guess wasn't too surprising, but it did look quite big
well I remember seeing one at Chambers Street metro stop the size of an alligator, dozen of people (mostly tourists) left the underground, NYers didn't seem to be bothered at all and kept waiting for their wagon.
I swear that rat must have been at least 6 feet long, it was probably pregnant I guess.
You could feed 100 people with hot dogs from one of those creatures.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #32
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
well I can give you a hint... especially in the hot dog carts case, hot dog meat is not entirely made of pork, beef, chicken or turkey but there other 'low' cost meats (I'm saying this cause people had those hot dog carts meat tested).
Say it ain't sooooooooooo!!!

Quote:
well I remember seeing one at Chambers Street metro stop the size of an alligator, dozen of people (mostly tourists) left the underground, NYers didn't seem to be bothered at all and kept waiting for their wagon.
I swear that rat must have been at least 6 feet long, it was probably pregnant I guess.
You could feed 100 people with hot dogs from one of those creatures.
I was in New York many years ago and saw a huge rat at a subway stop. I just assumed that the rat knew his place in the hierarchy and so I stomped at it to scare it away.

That rat looked at me as if to say, "Do it again. I dare you."

The last that rat saw of me was asshole and elbow getting the hell stepping out of there.

"Oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that and chuck him out, the brute.
But it's savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot."
Rudyard Kipling
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #33
country flag motorhead

motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Say it ain't sooooooooooo!!!
unfortunately it's has been proved to be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I was in New York many years ago and saw a huge rat at a subway stop. I just assumed that the rat knew his place in the hierarchy and so I stomped at it to scare it away.

That rat looked at me as if to say, "Do it again. I dare you."

The last that rat saw of me was asshole and elbow getting the hell stepping out of there.

Last edited by motorhead : Jun 18th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #34
country flag tennisprince

tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of

THat is totes amazeballs, enjoy your stay there. Lets hope its everything you expected it to be.
tennisprince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #35
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

I actually never eat hot dogs, but I don't believe that story.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #36
country flag motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
I actually never eat hot dogs, but I don't believe that story.
unfortunately there's no regulation on the matter from the FDA, hot dog carts can buy from wherever they want and I can guarantee you there'a % of rat meat. You can have them tested for less than 230$ at lab and you'll find out an unpleasant truth.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #37
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute

Just moved from Columbia to SF.

Sorry you messed up your Columbia Housing application. They do have some good units below market rate. But you mentioned not wanting to live *that* close to campus, so the other common options...

Lots of us fellow grad students lived in Harlem: Fred Doug and w116 to St Nick and w127th is popping. As is Manhattan and w110th on the other side of Morningside Park. And Hamilton Heights in the W140s has beautiful finds that won't stretch your wallet. It's always ideal to live a skip away from the 125th and 145th subway stations, where you have four lines including two express trains (A and D) that can take you downtown in as little as 20min door-to-door.

A few students lived in UWS (between 96th and 110th) but not that many. Probably an issue with cost and/or availability.

And loads lived in Brooklyn, and did the 1.5hour commute 2-3 times a week. Great housing stock and several cool scenes there.

Hope this helps. Congrats on getting into Columbia. You'll enjoy it (but finish in 6 years!).

PS: the rental scene in SF is crazy. And I say this after 9 years in NYC.

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.
azinna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #38
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post
Just moved from Columbia to SF.

Sorry you messed up your Columbia Housing application. They do have some good units below market rate. But you mentioned not wanting to live *that* close to campus, so the other common options...

Lots of us fellow grad students lived in Harlem: Fred Doug and w116 to St Nick and w127th is popping. As is Manhattan and w110th on the other side of Morningside Park. And Hamilton Heights in the W140s has beautiful finds that won't stretch your wallet. It's always ideal to live a skip away from the 125th and 145th subway stations, where you have four lines including two express trains (A and D) that can take you downtown in as little as 20min door-to-door.

A few students lived in UWS (between 96th and 110th) but not that many. Probably an issue with cost and/or availability.

And loads lived in Brooklyn, and did the 1.5hour commute 2-3 times a week. Great housing stock and several cool scenes there.

Hope this helps. Congrats on getting into Columbia. You'll enjoy it (but finish in 6 years!).

PS: the rental scene in SF is crazy. And I say this after 9 years in NYC.

Haha thanks!

I live in SF now so I feel prepared but also extremely worried about moving to NYC. At worst, I can always get some place in Queens or something at least for the start, and then move closer after I'm actually already living in NYC and can check out places more easily.

What is the safety like in Harlem?

I'm going to be doing research (job) as well as classes so I don't know if I'll be able to consolidate to 3 times a week unfortunately.

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #39
country flag motorhead

have you got a friend to stay at for the first month or two so you'll have no rush to find a place and you'll be able to focus on the beginning of the term? that's what I did before entering one Columbia's rooms after a student dropped out (he actually killed himself)

Last edited by motorhead : Jun 19th, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #40
country flag motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post

PS: the rental scene in SF is crazy
how is it like? was actually interested in moving there.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #41

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
how is it like? was actually interested in moving there.
in the good areas it's insanely expensive

in the not as desired areas, it's competitive, but you can at least get housing. you can always also move to surrounding areas (such as the east bay)

Quote:
have you got a friend to stay at for the first month or two so you'll have no rush to find a place and you'll be able to focus on the beginning of the term? that's what I did before entering one Columbia's rooms after a student dropped out (he actually killed himself)
yeah I have a friend and relative so at the very least I could stay with someone (Hopefully) lol - i could always just live in a hotel and hustle for a place.

the current place i'm living in i had to hustle for - my previous place caught on fire and i had to find a place really quickly that previous place i had to e-mail no joke almost 100 people when I didn't live in the city, and lived in a neighboring area, just to get people who would let me look at their places

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #42
country flag motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah View Post
in the good areas it's insanely expensive
do I get a two bedrooms flat for a 1,500$ a month in a central area?
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #43

Quote:
do I get a two bedrooms flat for a 1,500$ a month in a central area?
no.

you will not get that in the city, probably not even most of the not-as-desirable areas.

you might be able to get that in the ghetto areas though :], though there aren't many ghetto areas in sf.

i'm renting $800 + utilities for a room in the city that's on the edge of the city and is not high traffic. it's quiet and safe though so i like it :P.

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #44

i'm looking right now on craigslist, and I don't see any 2BR+ in SF less than $3000/mo. in a central areas. most seem to be $3500/mo+++ with some going very high!

you have some pseudo-central areas like inner sunset and inner richmond for high $2000/mo., glenpark / haight-ashbury low $3000/mo.

ingleside + ghetto south east side you can get for less than $2200/mo.

often times getting the deal is just knowing the right people...

Last edited by fufuqifuqishahah : Jun 19th, 2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #45
country flag motorhead

jesus christ I'd be better off in NY then