Moving to New York in a few months... - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #16
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to New York in a few months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah View Post
Hello!

I am moving to NY and will be going to Columbia for a doctoral program.

Any tips/suggestions/ideas/friends/etc.

I still need to find a place to live.
Definitely try to get set up for a Columbia apartment before you get to NYC (Columbia owns a ton of properties). It definitely helps, but it might delay you finishing your degree. Affordable apartments are hard to come by, and you may not want to leave it. I would try to get a place in Morningside Heights or UWS or Harlem. I would not recommend living in Brooklyn, unless you enjoy fricken' long train rides. I hate that, especially if you want to do something at night at the University. After finishing at Columbia, I lived in Washington Heights for a while, but it definitely felt more residential than lively, and it was terrible when you wanted to do things with friends downtown or in Brooklyn. UWS, Morningside Heights, or Harlem would be most convenient.

Best of luck. I enjoyed my time there, though I was only at Columbia for a master's degree.

I love NYC and lived there for about ten years. Sometimes it was difficult (finding places to live, one year I moved 7 times), but other times it was really quite wonderful. I miss the aliveness of the place.

Quote:
I also messed up my housing application, so they gave me my first choice which ended up being a really expensive ($8000 a semester), and if I get re-added to the wait list, I'll be so far down the list I won't get anything. I don't really want to live on campus though so hopefully I can figure something out. ...
Oh, you really missed out there. They have so many properties, though. Possibly it could still work out.

Last edited by edificio : Jun 16th, 2014 at 05:05 AM.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 05:15 AM   #17
country flag knoxt

knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold knoxt is a splendid one to behold

You should really get an apt near Columbia, but I know someone who got an apt that was really disgusting. He complaining to university housing and the rest was history. My suggestion would be to sublet for a while and look at what kind of student housing options they give you before you determine you want to live there. Or better yet, you may be able to find some deals on craigslist around that area.
knoxt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #18
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Definitely try to get set up for a Columbia apartment before you get to NYC (Columbia owns a ton of properties). It definitely helps, but it might delay you finishing your degree. Affordable apartments are hard to come by, and you may not want to leave it. I would try to get a place in Morningside Heights or UWS or Harlem. I would not recommend living in Brooklyn, unless you enjoy fricken' long train rides. I hate that, especially if you want to do something at night at the University. After finishing at Columbia, I lived in Washington Heights for a while, but it definitely felt more residential than lively, and it was terrible when you wanted to do things with friends downtown or in Brooklyn. UWS, Morningside Heights, or Harlem would be most convenient.

Best of luck. I enjoyed my time there, though I was only at Columbia for a master's degree.

I love NYC and lived there for about ten years. Sometimes it was difficult (finding places to live, one year I moved 7 times), but other times it was really quite wonderful. I miss the aliveness of the place.

Oh, you really missed out there. They have so many properties, though. Possibly it could still work out.

That's crazy that you moved 7 times!!! Why'd that have to happen? I don't really want to live on campus because I don't want to live by Columbia house rules xD unless I get to save good money, which I would have if i didn't mess up my app

Yea... where do you live now?

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #19
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
first of all rest assured I never had any safety problems, nor at the campus nor in any NY area and I've even been to the bronx at night alone.
atmosphere is just great on campus, you'll meet plenty of people from all around the world and make new friends, there are several fraternities you can join even though I never did as I've always found them silly and fascist. The people were cool thought and I even dated this girl from Colombia (SA) of the alpha omicron pi or something like that.
as for clubs there's so many I don't know where to begin, I used to like Pacha, Le Bain, the Avenue and The Box iirc
You dated an AOPi??? At my school they call them EatAWholePie hahaahah
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #20
country flag motorhead

motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam View Post
You dated an AOPi??? At my school they call them EatAWholePie hahaahah
yup.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #21
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's crazy that you moved 7 times!!! Why'd that have to happen? I don't really want to live on campus because I don't want to live by Columbia house rules xD unless I get to save good money, which I would have if i didn't mess up my app

Yea... where do you live now?
It was crazy, and I think it was more than 7 times. It was mainly because I couldn't get a lease. At that time you had to pay a finder's fee to the super, to the agent, and then first/last/security deposit at once, everyone it seemed. I was just finishing my degree so I didn't have that kind of money. Then I had roommates who decided to break the lease (even though most people never want to do that), and I had to move. I housesit twice. Stayed at friends twice. It sucked. One time I was heading home from seeing friends downtown, and I couldn't figure out which train to take because I couldn't remember where I was living! Anyway, the next year, my boss helped me out, and I got a lease of my own.

By the way, I didn't mean you should live in the Columbia dorms. That I'm sure is awful. I knew people who had apartments owned by Columbia that they got through housing. Nicer places than the one I finally took. The first place they showed me seemed like a one-room dump, coming as I was from Seattle I didn't know that was the best option! The person said, oh I guess you can put a loft bed or something in it. I rejected it, and the next place they showed me was a room in a converted SRO--it was worse. Then I realized that it was only going to get worse and worse. Other people had small apartments. I should have taken the first place, but sometimes you make mistakes.

Anyway, if you find a place to share with a friend that would be best.

I'm in the PNW now, but I miss NYC.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #22
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Housing in NYC for people who are not rich

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #23
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Housing in NYC for people who are not rich
I'm ready for my dump

I live in SF now it's not much better

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #24
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm ready for my dump

I live in SF now it's not much better
Enjoy!

Question for the New Yorkers: Does the city still have the huge rat infestation that was there several years ago or has that been abated?

Rats!

Old Jun 17th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #25
country flag motorhead

motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of

rats are still a huge presence in the NY area much to hot dog carts owners delight
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #26
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold Freak3yman84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
rats are still a huge presence in the NY area much to hot dog carts owners delight
I don't understand the correlation.

Tennis Tipping:
Winner at ITF Dothan and XWTA Kuala Lumpur Singles
Winner at ITF Vero Beach, Trnava, Poitiers, Vall d'Uxó, Zawada, and Saint Malo + XWTA Rome and Strasbourg Doubles (w/ DJDVD)
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #27
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

If I ever move to New York then I want my cute studio in the upper east side
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #28
country flag HippityHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
I don't understand the correlation.
I don't either and I'm afraid to ask.

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #29
country flag motorhead

Quote:
I don't either and I'm afraid to ask.
well I can give you a hint... especially in the hot dog carts case, hot dog meat is not entirely made of pork, beef, chicken or turkey but there other 'low' cost meats (I'm saying this cause people had those hot dog carts meat tested).
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #30
country flag eck
Esmerelda

eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Enjoy!

Question for the New Yorkers: Does the city still have the huge rat infestation that was there several years ago or has that been abated?

Rats!
I saw a really big one on the rails in the subway...which I guess wasn't too surprising, but it did look quite big