Moving to New York in a few months... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #1
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute
Moving to New York in a few months...

Hello!

I am moving to NY and will be going to Columbia for a doctoral program.

Any tips/suggestions/ideas/friends/etc.

I still need to find a place to live.

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #2
country flag motorhead

motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of
Re: Moving to New York in a few months...

I've been visiting student at Columbia for six months
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #3
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

You can just live at Columbia, no? It's a beautiful campus. If you'll be there often, you can probably also find a place in Harlem. It really depends on how much you want to pay on rent. The UWS is great - I used to live there myself - but ridiculously expensive. If you don't mind having to commute, you can try Brooklyn. (Friends of mine found a place in Crown Heights that's just nuts - three bedrooms, two bathrooms, huge modern kitchen - but a tough commute. It literally takes them an hour to get to work, door-to-door. And they don't work all the way up in Columbia.)

I don't really know what kind of suggestions you need (maybe all the above was not necessary), but happy to help if you have queries about anything specific.
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #4

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
You can just live at Columbia, no? It's a beautiful campus. If you'll be there often, you can probably also find a place in Harlem. It really depends on how much you want to pay on rent. The UWS is great - I used to live there myself - but ridiculously expensive. If you don't mind having to commute, you can try Brooklyn. (Friends of mine found a place in Crown Heights that's just nuts - three bedrooms, two bathrooms, huge modern kitchen - but a tough commute. It literally takes them an hour to get to work, door-to-door. And they don't work all the way up in Columbia.)

I don't really know what kind of suggestions you need (maybe all the above was not necessary), but happy to help if you have queries about anything specific.
Yeah, I would prefer to live closer to school. I've been looking at a lot of crime maps recently as I look at potential renting places.

My friend is checking out a place for me in UWS that isn't too bad price wise so hopefully that will work out. I could do some parts of brooklyn since it's hipster-y enough for my tastes. but I would most prefer west harlem, washington heights, UWS, or downtown.

I also messed up my housing application, so they gave me my first choice which ended up being a really expensive ($8000 a semester), and if I get re-added to the wait list, I'll be so far down the list I won't get anything. I don't really want to live on campus though so hopefully I can figure something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I've been visiting student at Columbia for six months
Oh yeah? How have you liked it there?

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #5
country flag motorhead

motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of motorhead has much to be proud of

yea dude just be a little bit more specific, what u wanna know? clubs? flat searching, bars, gyms etc
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #6
country flag motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah View Post

Oh yeah? How have you liked it there?
I had the time of my life, as shap_half suggested the best thing is to stay on campus, I got a en-suite double room for less 700$ a month so I was able to spend more on other stuff like booze on weekends, concerts and food and occasional drugs.

Quote:
It literally takes them an hour to get to work, door-to-door. And they don't work all the way up in Columbia.)
that's two hours each day, way too much for me to justify a shorter rent price that's up to individual preferences.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #7

Quote:
yea dude just be a little bit more specific, what u wanna know? clubs? flat searching, bars, gyms etc
anything haha

I guess any cool stories that you have in particular wouldn't be bad to hear... just a better idea of your perspective on what stands out the most for you about living there.

Maybe safety, your perspective on the students, the atmosphere of the campus, etc.

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #8

Quote:
I had the time of my life, as shap_half suggested the best thing is to stay on campus, I got a en-suite double room for less 700$ a month so I was able to spend more on other stuff like booze on weekends, concerts and food and occasional drugs.

that's two hours each day, way too much for me to justify a shorter rent price that's up to individual preferences.
I currently can travel 30 minutes to 1 hour each day for work. the commute time isn't so bad, it's more of the fact that I live far from the action.

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #9
country flag motorhead

first of all rest assured I never had any safety problems, nor at the campus nor in any NY area and I've even been to the bronx at night alone.
atmosphere is just great on campus, you'll meet plenty of people from all around the world and make new friends, there are several fraternities you can join even though I never did as I've always found them silly and fascist. The people were cool thought and I even dated this girl from Colombia (SA) of the alpha omicron pi or something like that.
as for clubs there's so many I don't know where to begin, I used to like Pacha, Le Bain, the Avenue and The Box iirc
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #10

Quote:
first of all rest assured I never had any safety problems, nor at the campus nor in any NY area and I've even been to the bronx at night alone.
atmosphere is just great on campus, you'll meet plenty of people from all around the world and make new friends, there are several fraternities you can join even though I never did as I've always found them silly and fascist. The people were cool thought and I even dated this girl from Colombia (SA) of the alpha omicron pi or something like that.
as for clubs there's so many I don't know where to begin, I used to like Pacha, Le Bain, the Avenue and The Box iirc
are you from belgium?

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #11
country flag motorhead

Quote:
It literally takes them an hour to get to work, door-to-door. And they don't work all the way up in Columbia.)
Yes from a little city called Antwerp
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes from a little city called Antwerp
that's not little

proximus diamond games used to be there :P

how would you compare belgian people to ny people

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #13
country flag motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah View Post

proximus diamond games used to be there :P
that's correct.

My experiance with NYers has been 50/50. Some good some stuck up. I've had many friends that were from there and some people I can't stand. From my experiences people I've met from their walk like they have helium in their heads. Like they're better than anyone because their from NY. Also they would do an alot of talking without doing which is something I hate no matter where your from. Most my friends I had from belgium did alot more doing than talking. I remember picking on students from NY City because of their big headedness.

But then on the other hand I've met some down to Earth people. People that I've have made friends with and are like family. So overall it can go either way depending how they are.

Because no if you can make it in NY City you can't make it anywhere I've seen it with my own eyes.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #14
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

The Columbia campus is absolutely gorgeous (at least, in NYC's standard, considering we don't have a lot of on-campus colleges and unis here). It's better off renting at places a few stops away from the campus area since the houses around the uni would be really pricey. Having said that, you would probably hate to go through the #1 train day in day out. It's disgustingly congested almost every time on #1 trains. I hate it.

Uptown area to the north of the campus is not the best place to stay from what I've heard due to the high crime rates. Best of luck and have fun during your stay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
Wait Kerber's ankle I thought it was her shoulder..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
I hope its both.
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #15

Quote:
that's correct.

My experiance with NYers has been 50/50. Some good some stuck up. I've had many friends that were from there and some people I can't stand. From my experiences people I've met from their walk like they have helium in their heads. Like they're better than anyone because their from NY. Also they would do an alot of talking without doing which is something I hate no matter where your from. Most my friends I had from belgium did alot more doing than talking. I remember picking on students from NY City because of their big headedness.

But then on the other hand I've met some down to Earth people. People that I've have made friends with and are like family. So overall it can go either way depending how they are.

Because no if you can make it in NY City you can't make it anywhere I've seen it with my own eyes.

cool :} good to know

it makes sense that a lot of people from NY are big headed... i like to be laid back and chill, though (not so much anymore, but before) i could get arrogant if i wasn't feeling well lol