Nathalie Dechy's new Mental Block..and it continues - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 31st, 2003, 05:41 PM   #1
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Nathalie Dechy's new Mental Block..and it continues

Updated June 27th

7th straight Grand Slam Nathalie has lost in the 3rd round!!

2002 AO-lost to Medina Garrigues 6-3, 6-2
2002 FO-lost to Suarez 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
2002 Wimbledon-lost to Dokic 7-5, 6-2
2002 USO-lost to Serena 6-1, 6-1
2003 AO-lost to Daniilidou 6-4, 6-3
2003 FO-lost to Davenport 6-3, 7-5
2003 Wimbledon-lost to Sugiyama 6-4, 6-4

What does she need to do!?

1989, 1994, 1998 French Open Champion, 1994 U.S. Open Champion
1994, 1995 Australian Open Finalist, 1995, 1996 Wimbledon Finalist
4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!

Last edited by Julian : Jun 27th, 2003 at 01:03 PM.
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2003, 05:44 PM   #2
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
She is not aggressive enough...and she doesnt have a killer instinct...

she is so boring to watch..no intensity whatsoever...

Serena, Madison, Taylor, Sloane, Gaby, Sloane, Heather, Sachia,Victoria, Sania
Coco, Beatrice, Jessica, Christina, Lauren, Robin, Dinara, Noppy, Mia, Flavia
Kaia, Aga, Urzula, Tamira, Gisela, Timea, Veras, ALG, Klina, Wozi, Sveta, Vikas, Misa
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 07:27 PM   #3
country flag Shuji Shuriken
Team WTAworld

Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute Shuji Shuriken has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK4ever
She is not aggressive enough...and she doesnt have a killer instinct...

she is so boring to watch..no intensity whatsoever...
I kinda agree. She needs to pick up her play, and it's like she has no big weapon.

Brandysan's Keeper

l[l

Venussan #1 Fan
Serenasan Warrior Princess

http://www.myspace.com/keimodarkheart
Shuji Shuriken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
The thing is though there are times that Nathalie can play aggressive! I've seen it before in some matches. But I agree she needs to be MORE aggressive if she wants to compete with the top players. Just kinda surprised that a player of her calibre hasn't reached past the 3rd round yet..

4- Time Olympic Medalist, 5-Time Fed Cup Winning Team, Inducted into Hall of Fame in 2007!!!
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:25 PM   #5
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Her serve is VERY VERY inconsistent and NOT WELL PLACED EITHER! if she could develop more Variety and placement and the occasional hard serve she would be better. also she got passive at time on big points and then got nervous and went for silly shots. it is true that she has no BIG WEAPON but if she get control of a point she did seem to handle pace decent and knew where to put the ball and how to construct points well kind of like a Maleeva.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:29 PM   #6
country flag arn

arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute arn has a reputation beyond repute
She's a great player (very aggressive the times I saw her play) but she hits everything at the same speed. If she would change the effect from time to time the balls she plays now would be more effective.
arn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:32 PM   #7
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
that would help to but I did see her change the pace some today (not very often)

but her serve was awful!
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:45 PM   #8
country flag baleineau

baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future
she has no magic if you know what i mean. she has the farina-elia syndrome. solid, but not able to produce anything really special in tight moments on the big occasion.
You have long been my goal, been my chasing, been my soul. I have hung out on the edge. But I just couldn't let go. There's a time to forgive. There's a time to forget. Close your eyes, get ready, set. Walk me down this fall I'm taking but don't let me go yet. Oh let me go, sweetheart, throw me, around you, like you know me. And remember me too. Remember me too from a dream i had of you. Mary Margaret O'Hara | Dream I Had | Apartment Hunting | 2002.
baleineau is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:55 PM   #9
disposablehero

disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future disposablehero has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian

What does she need to do!?
Be a top 16 seed.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 12:37 AM   #10
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
Nathalie is capable of better than the 3rd round. She is usually a very steady player, not a big weapon, but her defensive ability is usually very good. If there is anything she needs to work on it is that serve which can be dreadful at times, and the forehand side tends to breakdown more.

There have been some winnable opportunities there, she just needs to be more aggressive IMO.

BTW, I disagree that she has no intensity - She is very shy and isn't usually one to show much emotion, but she really gives it her all out there and works very hard, and that is a sign of intensity.
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:05 AM   #11
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
Nathalie is a wonderful player and not boring at all. Not a suprising comment from the person who blabbed it, though She's a sweet and low-key player... something that should be appreciated on today's tour

Nathalie is a great player but just needs more confidence. A weapon would do her well but her consistant play can get her far. She has bad luck with draws, too. She always has to play top seeds, etc. That's not really her fault.

ALLEZ NATHALIE!

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 10:39 AM   #12
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Some of the tennis analysis is spot on, and the reason I bestowed that "Placid Parisian" nickname on her. (Yes, I know V d'A is near the BEL border). I think the world of Nat as a person, but she does lack aggressiveness. And Scotso's defensiveness about this is just plain dumb. Being in "de nile" about the weaknesses of a player you like (er, see pic to left, though "rotation time" is approaching) isn't doing them any favors.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #13
Julian

Sighh well she has one more shot at the U.S. Open to let me delete this thread But I think at this year's Wimbledon she just lost to a better player..

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #14
country flag baleineau

baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future baleineau has a brilliant future
she served a ton of double faults against sharapova at birmingham, and served about 10 today according to the Stats.

there's no way a player of her quality can afford that. if she improved the consistency of her serve, she'd make some progress.

but i think we've seen the best of dechy. she's a nice player with a stylish game and elegant manner, but lacks the extra, the spark to take her higher and threaten the top-15 players regularly.
You have long been my goal, been my chasing, been my soul. I have hung out on the edge. But I just couldn't let go. There's a time to forgive. There's a time to forget. Close your eyes, get ready, set. Walk me down this fall I'm taking but don't let me go yet. Oh let me go, sweetheart, throw me, around you, like you know me. And remember me too. Remember me too from a dream i had of you. Mary Margaret O'Hara | Dream I Had | Apartment Hunting | 2002.
baleineau is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #15
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe its not a mental block and its her game that needs improving. I think shes a good solid player but doesnt really have the weapons to beat top players. So it doesnt surprise me that she keeps losing in third rounds, thats the round that you usually meet a top player.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote