Dally Randriantefy...Inspiring Article - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 31st, 2003, 02:53 AM   #1
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
Dally Randriantefy...Inspiring Article

No dilly in this Dally written by our fave writer..John Wertheim

PARIS -- Justine Henin-Hardenne didn't dally in her third-round French Open match Friday, blitzing Dally Randriantefy, 6-1, 6-1, in roughly the amount of time it takes to say "Randriantefy." Fifteen minutes after the match, Randriantefy was still shaking her head, smiling at how badly she was outclassed. "I need to work on a lot of things -- actually, everything," she said. "But even then I don't know if I'll ever get to that level."

Still, it was hard for Randriantefy to be too upset about her tournament. She reached the third round, equaling her best showing at a Grand Slam event; she beat Alexandra Stevenson -- granted, no one's clay-court expert, but a seed nonetheless; she'll improve on her ranking, which was No. 83 entering the French Open; and most important, by far, she banked roughly $35,000. While the majority of players would be happy with that kind of payday for a week's worth, it's particularly meaningful to Randriantefy. A native of Madagascar, Randriantefy estimates that the average salary for a worker in her country is $60 a month. Her mother, Olga, a professor of French literature, makes roughly $100 a month, and her father, Max, a sports educator, earns about the same.

In other words, Randriantefy made more this week for three matches of tennis than her parents are likely to take home in 25 years of teaching. "I do think about this," she said, smiling. "It's strange to me, but it makes me happy I chose tennis."

The same voodoo economics, however, almost derailed her career. As a promising junior, she was able to compete internationally mostly by dint of corporate sponsorships arranged for her in Madagascar. Her first WTA ranking came in 1993 at age 16, and by 1996 she was a top-100 player, the first non-white African player ever to achieve that distinction. Her game, however, went into a tailspin the following year, and as the losses mounted, the money began to run dry.

Randriantefy was stuck; she couldn't exactly hit Dad up for a $10,000 travel loan. This, of course, is a problem that often affects players from economically disadvantaged countries. Paradorn Srichaphan has questioned how many more Thai players would be on the circuit if the economic playing field was more level. As it stands, the cost of a few plane tickets to international junior events can represent a huge chunk of a family's annual income.

Financially strapped, Randriantefy left the tour in 1998, trying to regroup and recoup by playing what she calls "exhibitions and money tournaments" (translation: She spent a lot of time in France playing small ITF events where she could lodge for free and incur minimal travel costs). She also competed for a local Parisian professional team that paid her a salary and covered her training.

As her bank book became a bit more bloated, Randriantefy returned to the WTA Tour, and her ranking has improved each of the past four years. "Now I'm at the point where I can play in all four Grand Slams," said Randriantefy, who will be ranked around No. 70 when the new rankings are released. "That's pretty much enough money to get me through the year."

While she won't overpower anyone, Randriantefy hits solidly off both sides, returns well and plays with the same joie de vivre that informs her personality on the court. She's 26, and there's no reason why she can't be a top-50 to top-80 player for several more years.

When she's done with tennis, Randriantefy intends to return to her home country and, with any luck, inspire other talented juniors. She's quick to note that her younger siblings, Natasha and Tatum, both have potential. "The Williams sisters are good for tennis all over the world, but for Africa especially," she says. "And maybe I also have shown the way."

Serena, Madison, Taylor, Sloane, Gaby, Sloane, Heather, Sachia,Victoria, Sania
Coco, Beatrice, Jessica, Christina, Lauren, Robin, Dinara, Noppy, Mia, Flavia
Kaia, Aga, Urzula, Tamira, Gisela, Timea, Veras, ALG, Klina, Wozi, Sveta, Vikas, Misa
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2003, 03:30 AM   #2
country flag Gonzo Hates Me!

Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute
She is amazing! Go tennis Africa. The sport is getting bigger on the continent!
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:37 AM   #3
country flag rhz

rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future rhz has a brilliant future
nice article. Go Dally!!
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:39 AM   #4
supercmfan

supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point supercmfan is an unknown quantity at this point
go dally
supercmfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:20 AM   #5
country flag maya

maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold maya is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the article; good luck to Dally in the future !
maya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:33 AM   #6
Jane

Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all
Very nice article on Dally. It's too bad that we don't see more articles about the lower ranked players. There are so many interesting/inspiring stories that we never hear.
Jane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if the WTA could provide "seed" money to poorer nations to get some more women from these nations on tour. 1 million dollars could fund 100 diferent women to the tune of $10,000 extra dollars a year. If each third world nation could fund it's top prospect tennis could be spread wider.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:58 AM   #8
country flag anabel

anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all
Glad for her

anabel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:28 PM   #9
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the article!!!

GO DALLY!!!
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:29 PM   #10
cooolconchita

cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about cooolconchita has a spectacular aura about
So nice to see how much it means to her!
Wimbledon champion, Australian open runner up, French open runner up, US Open semi finalist, World no 2, Fed Cup darling, Italian Open queen, Berlin doyenne, Hilton Head heroine, Philadelphia Princess,...the beautiful, incomparable CONCHITA - A 1988 vintage - sweet, fruity and just gets better with age!

P.S - If Conchi ain't in the draw - go Monica!
cooolconchita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:51 PM   #11
country flag sartrista7
Registered 1

sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future
A far cry from the multimillionairesses in the top 10... puts the bitching over them into perspective. Go Dally
sartrista7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:13 PM   #12
country flag VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Keeper of Venus & Serena

VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute VSFan1 aka Joshua L. has a reputation beyond repute
Wow...I had heard of her financial struggles before, but didn't know that much about them.

I hope Dally is able to fund her younger sisters a bit as well, and also Aina Rafolomonotsiatsokika, another Madagascarian tennis player who is ranked.

GO MADAGASCAR TENNIS

Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:32 PM   #13
country flag Fantastic

Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future Fantastic has a brilliant future
I wonder how her sisters fund themselves to play tennis. Natacha plays on the ITF circuit exclusively and she's ranked in the 300-400's. When Dally had to give up tennis for that year, she was ranked in the 400's or something. Does Dally share the wealth? How does Natacha manage to pay and play?
Fantastic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:43 PM   #14
country flag Brian Stewart
Plainclothes Division

Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute
A great article, and by far one of the best pieces Wertheim has ever written.

I knew Dally had been forced off the circuit by economic difficulties. Glad to see she's back. I wonder if she'll puts her name in for doubles and mixed at the slams? That'd be more money for her expenses.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chandarubin
Brian Stewart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:52 PM   #15
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute
dally
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote