Why Do So Many People Dislike Maria? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #16
country flag Rebell

Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future Rebell has a brilliant future
Re: Why Do So Many People Dislike Maria?

It's her cold behaviour I think
Rebell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #17
country flag pobbop

pobbop has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe-pova View Post
Well said. I agree with the general consensus, it's partly the grunting, partly the "I love Serena so I must hate Maria" syndrome and probably partly because people are jealous.

I dislike Serena, and if I'm being honest pretty much the only reason is because she's better than Maria and it gets in the way of Maria's success, so I'm essentially jealous of how well she does and how she always seems to get in the way. So I think it's largely to do with that. You see the same thing in the music industry; fans of Katy Perry hate Gaga and vice versa. I'd say that's the main reason tbh.
This is an important point. The internet is a wonderful thing, but the building of rabid fandoms is not a particularly good aspect. Because their distortion of facts and constant bitter nastiness can become a roller-coaster. In the end the grunt is a reason many dislike Maria, but of course their dislike can be fanned by constantly misquoted and taken out of context nonsense.

I think it's also that people actually see "stars" as kind of reality TV, and utterly forget they're real people, who aren't scripted, and will do and say silly things this doesn't make them evil, just makes them human.

I was okay about Serena until that Rolling Stone interview, but I think she said sorry, and I certainly don't think she's evil. I think Maria went a bit too far in the come-back to it really, giving fuel to the haters.

Some players game do annoy me quite a lot, but I can't think of anyone that I would say more than I dislike them, a bit, as a person. Yet I don't know them, so I maybe utterly wrong about them.

I have to say I've not always been a Maria fan either. When she came on the scene, I felt she was really brash and arrogant (a bit like Genie presently) , and she was a bit of a servebot. The grunt annoyed me a bit too (I'm inured to it). Things did seem quite easy for her too, though I now know looking at her background it wasn't a cakewalk.

I've become a fan since she fought back from her first shoulder injury, and became a massive fighter, and tried to vary her game some more. Let's face it she could have easily used the injuries to go down the Kournikova route, yet it's not in her to give up. I also think she's developed a pretty dry, self-deprecating, let's face it sometimes sarcastic, wit which I as a Britisher like a lot.
pobbop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #18
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebell View Post
It's her cold behaviour I think
A lot of that is just perception imo. She's ruthless, perhaps even cruel on court. But that's competition. Some seem to think that tennis is all about etiquette and politeness. It's not. Tennis is a sport where you try to hit the living daylights out of each other like in boxing. But tennis has a net to seperate the competitors. But that's just 'the job.' It doesn't mean that you are this terrible person once the match is over. I think that what some see as her 'cold behaviour' away from the courts is just a defense mechanism. She isn't the girl next door type like my Woz or your Sam. Everything about Maria says, "I'm Maria Sharapova and you are not." That's not intentional, I'm sure. It's just her natural aura and some find that intimidating.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #19
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Sam Smith a few days ago saying something brilliant about how Maria (along with Rena, and pre-illness Vee etc) are old school champions. They are super passionate and driven to win when on the court, trying to etch out a win no matter what the circumstances. She said she didn't feel that way when watching the likes of Halep or the new breed of champions.
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #20
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

I think the level of hatred of Maria is exaggerated. Millions of people watch women play tennis. A tiny percentage have feelings of some sort of hate. There is a significant level of admiration. I do not worry about it, and I appreciate a lot of other players, including Serena.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #21
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Why Do So Many People Dislike Maria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
I remember Sam Smith a few days ago saying something brilliant about how Maria (along with Rena, and pre-illness Vee etc) are old school champions. They are super passionate and driven to win when on the court, trying to etch out a win no matter what the circumstances. She said she didn't feel that way when watching the likes of Halep or the new breed of champions.
It's difficult to put Halep or any of the new breeds on the same pedestal as Serena, Venus or Maria.

Serena and Maria were GS champions as a teenager; and Venus won Wimbledon when she just turned 20. The new players still need to earn hers.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #22
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharakim View Post
She's successful, beautiful, intelligent, and a winner. Ingredients that will make many people jealous and bitter.
Couldn't have said it better. She is a REAL natural beauty and gets the full attention. That's why she's hated in the locker room.

But I think a very important aspect is her attitude. She's not all that super-friendly, girly, naive and simple-minded like Ivanovic or Wozniacki. Maria is very though, was always very mature for her age as a teen, has a very high level of self-esteem and doesn't let anybody fool with her. She's ruthless and doesn't give a shit what others think or talk about her. She obviously doesn't care about being everybody's darling like Ivanovic does. Maria has got a very strong personality and most weak personalities can't deal with that and so they are hating on her. I love her attitude. She's not fake, she's real with all her good and bad manners.
Shirapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #23
country flag fanofmaria

fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice fanofmaria is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Couldn't have said it better. She is a REAL natural beauty and gets the full attention. That's why she's hated in the locker room.

But I think a very important aspect is her attitude. She's not all that super-friendly, girly, naive and simple-minded like Ivanovic or Wozniacki. Maria is very though, was always very mature for her age as a teen, has a very high level of self-esteem and doesn't let anybody fool with her. She's ruthless and doesn't give a shit what others think or talk about her. She obviously doesn't care about being everybody's darling like Ivanovic does. Maria has got a very strong personality and most weak personalities can't deal with that and so they are hating on her. I love her attitude. She's not fake, she's real with all her good and bad manners.
X2!

As to Maria's bitchy/cold/indifference the only people whom know if it's real is her close personal friends and family as the rest of us millions only can speculate.
FOM
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #24
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future

Wimbledon 2004 - that is why Renatards hate her

grunting - reason for hating her for the rest

Kvitova Ivanovic Cepelova Hantuchova Jankovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #25
country flag GrandMartha

GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute

one more reason: she won matches she's supposed to lose.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #26
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute

i can see why tbh. she's pretty polarizing. the reasons we love her are why lots don't like her. her demeanor and her screeching can be off-putting, but i just love the intensity.
and then there are obviously those who just like finding fault in everything she does. kind of inevitable for someone so successful to get picked apart.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #27
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Consider her success at tennis, consider her success in advertising, and consider how many players are likely to be as at ease at a microphone or before a camera after they retire....that is a pretty big thing to cause some envy, if not hate.
Chris Evert could use some lessons from Maria right now.......her commentary was really annoying.....even when she said something positive about Maria, it worried me because she was often wrong when she was piling on the negatives.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #28
country flag Icky80

Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold Icky80 is a splendid one to behold

Sharapova is the Nadal of the WTA in many ways. Deal with it Nadal haters.
Icky80 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #29
country flag stegall

stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all

I get screeching at times but i've honestly never gotten why people care if she friends with player x or player y. How many GM threads have we seen in GM about friendships of other players gone sour? It's hard to main in tennis.
stegall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #30
country flag winnerpova
running to stand still.

winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of winnerpova has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDACHi View Post
i can see why tbh. she's pretty polarizing. the reasons we love her are why lots don't like her. her demeanor and her screeching can be off-putting, but i just love the intensity.
hit the nail on the head with that one; it's the usual thesis of action-reaction aka anyone who has huge supporters ought to have huge haters

everything you need is already inside; just do it.
arsenal | panathinaikos | masha | aga
winnerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote