A question for Canadians and Belgians - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Belgians and Canadians

I'm an English Canadian and feel more related to French Canadians 9 20.00%
I'm an English Canadian and feel more related to Americans 4 8.89%
I'm a French Canadian and feel more related to English Canadians 4 8.89%
I'm a French Canadian and feel more related to the French 1 2.22%
I'm a Flemish Belgian and feel more related to French Belgians 14 31.11%
I'm a Flemish Belgian and feel more related to the Dutch 12 26.67%
I'm a French Belgian and feel more related to Flemish Belgians 1 2.22%
I'm an French Belgian and feel more related to the French 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #1
country flag Josh
Team WTAworld
Administrator
aka Nibbler

Josh has disabled reputation
Talking A question for Canadians and Belgians

I was inspired to make this poll by a discussion I had with Lynx in another thread.

So what I wanna ask is this :

1) English Canadians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, French Canadians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters, the Americans?

2) French Canadians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, English Canadians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters in France?

3) Flemish Belgians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, French Belgians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters in The Netherlands?

4) French Belgians, do you feel more related with your fellow countrymen/women, Flemish Belgians or with your linguistic brothers and sisters in France?

VOTE!
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2003, 11:46 PM   #2
country flag Josh
Team WTAworld
Administrator
aka Nibbler

Basically Lynx says that language is a more important link than sharing a history withing the same state.
I believe that a shared history withing a same state creates a common identity that is stranger than the linguistic ties with other countries.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:20 AM   #3
country flag Josh
Team WTAworld
Administrator
aka Nibbler

*Keeping this up*
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #4
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
I'm an English Canadian, and feel more related to French Canadians.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #5
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
*Keeping this up*
Stop talking dirty and stuff.

I won't vote (doesn't apply to me).... But I don't think many Americans feel too connected to anyone in Canada. I think they're pretty separated, except maybe near the borders.

Americans are snobs, well *some*, ok a lot, of Americans are. Some of us ( ) have a more global view than is normally held.
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:24 AM   #6

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seles
Stop talking dirty and stuff.

I won't vote (doesn't apply to me).... But I don't think many Americans feel too connected to anyone in Canada. I think they're pretty separated, except maybe near the borders.

Americans are snobs, well *some*, ok a lot, of Americans are. Some of us ( ) have a more global view than is normally held.
Not only that, but a lot of Canadians do NOT want to be associated with Americans
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:27 AM   #7
country flag AjdeNate!

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that's completely true, too! Can't we all just get along?
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #8

We do get along
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:35 AM   #9
country flag AjdeNate!

As long as there is that long imaginary line betwixt us. I love Belgians. I love the Frenchies. I love Canadians (both English and French speaking), ... 'cept I have a hard time understanding their Candian-French when they speak. It's a different dialect than I can understand. I can get most of it... but not all. It's like extra 'uh's and 'eh's everywhere I swear.
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:51 AM   #10
country flag Kiswana

Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light Kiswana is a glorious beacon of light
None of the above. I'm an English Canadian who is actually related to the English. Although America is close in proximity, I don't have an affinity for it at all. My family came originally from England and that is what I consider my second homeland. I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling throughout Quebec. It's a lovely province but I don't feel connected to it at all. I harbour no resentment towards the Quebecois, by the way. While I recognise them as fellow Canadians, I feel closer to the English I suppose cos of the language and my own family's roots.
Kiswana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiswana
None of the above. I'm an English Canadian who is actually related to the English. Although America is close in proximity, I don't have an affinity for it at all. My family came originally from England and that is what I consider my second homeland. I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling throughout Quebec. It's a lovely province but I don't feel connected to it at all. I harbour no resentment towards the Quebecois, by the way. While I recognise them as fellow Canadians, I feel closer to the English I suppose cos of the language and my own family's roots.
If I had to choose I'd say that I feel closer to the Brits than I do to Americans. Which I suppose is odd, seeing as I walk by McDonalds everyday
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:09 AM   #12
King Lindsay

King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point King Lindsay is an unknown quantity at this point
don't feel at all connected to French Canadians. They can piss off and form their own country.
King Lindsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #13
country flag carot
Mean Admin Machine
Admeanistrator

carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute
Flemish Belgian, more related to French Belgian, and i don't feel related to the Dutch at all.

[Once we were called secret admirers, now we are just called stalkers.]

[Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you.]
carot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #14
country flag fleemke³

fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of fleemke³ has much to be proud of
I'm a Belgian, not at all dutchman
YEC Madrid '06,'07
41 titles

fleemke³ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #15
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
flemish belgian and I don't feel related to french belgian at all
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote