1984 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #16
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1984

DEFECTOR FACING UPHILL FIGHT HU NA IS STRUGGLING WITH TENNIS, U.S. STYLE
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 15, 1984
JIM MARTZ, Herald Sports Writer

Early in the match, she wore a red, white and blue warmup vest, which seemed to be symbolic of the Americanization and the transformation of her life.

Hu Na no longer is a resident of her native China, having defected in July 1982. She plans to become a U.S. citizen.

And Hu no longer is the No. 1 women's tennis player in China. Instead, she's No. 206 in the world.

She's happy with her adjustment to the American lifestyle "because I can do whatever I want, and I couldn't before." She also is in love with U.S. television ("Love Boat" and "Three's Company" are favorites) and with Kentucky Fried Chicken. But adjusting to the women's pro tennis circuit has been a culture shock.

"I always was a winner at home and in Asia," Hu said Saturday through an interpreter. She was the No. 1 junior in China from 1979-81 and the No. 1 woman in 1981-82, and she won the Hong Kong Open in 1982. "I've gone from being a winner to being a loser. We could play only three or four tournaments a year, and there weren't many players. Most girls here start playing as juniors and play a lot of tournaments.

"In China, I just had to keep the ball in play and let the opponent make an error. Now, I've got to attack and hit winners, so I'm changing my style."

Saturday afternoon in the first-round qualifying for the U.S. Tennis Association's women's circuit tournament at Laver's International Tennis Resort in Delray Beach, she had trouble keeping the ball in play and attacking as she struggled past Sweden's Monica Lundquist, 7-5, 7-5. Hu was eliminated as she dropped her second match, 6-1, 0-6, 4-6, to Ronni Reis of Miami.

Tall (5-8) and graceful like Evonne Goolagong, Hu hits a strong forehand but has a weak backhand. Her serve-and-volley game is pitty-pat compared to Martina Navratilova's.

"The most important thing for me to work on is my conditioning," Hu said. "I need to hit harder and be aggressive. I wasn't serving well today."

The match was indicative of the challenge 20-year-old Hu faces in reaching her goal of the top 10 in the world. She is one of 156 players competing in the qualifying tournament, and only eight will advance to the 32-player main draw this week.

Moreover, the USTA circuit is the bottom rung of the three-tiered women's pro tour; the next level is the Ginny circuit and the top level the Virginia Slims. And there are no megabucks to be earned on the USTA circuit; only $10,000 in prize money is divided among the 32 players in the main draw, but no money and no computer points can be earned by winning qualifying matches.

Hu, who lost in the first round of qualifying at San Antonio a week ago and will play at Key Biscayne this week, manages to survive financially thanks to help from friends she has made in the United States and from a racquet company.

The highlight of Hu's life in the United States was teaming with Marty Riessen against Bjorn Borg and Bettina Bunge in the World Mixed Doubles Championship in Houston last November. "We almost won in a tiebreaker in the third set," she said. "And Borg complimented me after the match."

The lowlights were not hearing from her family in China for several months, inadvertently hampering U.S.-Chinese relations, and having to put up with bodyguard security at Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

Although she wrote to her family each week, the only letter that came from home during her first year and a half in the United States was brought back by Secretary of State George Shultz after his visit to China. But recently, she got three letters the same day, each with a different postmark.

"The letters say my family is doing very well," Hu said with a smile. "I miss them very much. My brother is 15 and is a good junior player. He's ranked seventh in China."

When Hu defected during the Federation Cup tournament in Santa Clara, Calif., Chinese authorities reacted by cutting back on sports and cultural exchanges with the United States. "I'm only an individual and a tennis player," she says now. "I didn't expect to hurt relations."

Last spring, Bollettieri took Hu under his wing and gave her a free scholarship to his academy. "He treated me very well and paid attention to me," said Hu, who reportedly received a kidnapping threat while there. "But there was too much attention. I had a bodyguard 24 hours a day and felt pressured. I wasn't able to stay with the other students, and the bodyguard would even watch what number on the phone I dialed."

An ankle injury hampered her training at Bollettieri's, so she left to see a Chinese friend in Chicago and receive treatment at a sports health institute there. Today, there are no more bodyguards or alleged kidnapping threats.

"Everything has calmed down; there's no pressure," she said. "I'm very happy to be here and I appreciate the Americans allowing me to join them."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #17

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

CHRIS, JOHN LLOYD SEPARATE
The Miami Herald
Saturday, January 28, 1984
From Herald Staff and Wire Reports

Nearly five years after they were married in St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Fort Lauderdale, Chris Evert Lloyd and her husband, John Lloyd, have separated.

The announcement that the couple has begun a "trial separation" was made to The Associated Press Friday in New York by a spokesman for International Management Group, the agent for both tennis players.

"There's still very much a chance that we will get back together," the spokesman quoted Evert. "At the present time we need time to be by ourselves."

The spokesman said the "purpose of this announcement in going public with the facts is to dispel any innuendoes and rumors that may surface regarding the state of their marriage. Neither individual chooses to make any further comment on the situation."

The spokesman said he had spoken by telephone to both and that "they are very friendly and in touch."

Efforts to reach the Lloyds at their Amelia Island, Fla., home were unsuccessful. Their whereabouts could not be determined.

Lloyd and Evert were married April 17, 1979, in Fort Lauderdale, Evert's hometown. A person in the crowd outside the church held up a sign saying, "Love Match: Chris Evert and John Lloyd, A Perfect Set."

But it wasn't always perfect.

Husband and wife commented often on their difficulties in reconciling domestic tranquility with tennis intensity.

"John is the first person I've been with who's my equal," Evert said in a 1980 interview. "Win or lose, he's going to love me. I feel so secure with him. Maybe I played better when I was insecure."

She talked of having pushed herself to higher levels in response to her earlier, tumultuous relationship with former fiance Jimmy Connors and to fans' rooting for her underdog opponents. "I can't channel that and be a winner again."

Less than six months after the wedding, Evert withdrew from a tournament in Seattle, saying, "I don't ever want to walk out onto a court again if I don't feel that old desire -- and I don't have it now. I don't know if I'll ever get it back. I feel burned out. And I feel very good because I've finally made the decision to stop.

"The desire has to be there ... and it's been gone an awfully long time. More than a year.

"I wasn't happy in tennis in 1979, but I was still very happy because of my marriage. I felt that I lost interest in tennis because I was concentrating on John and the wedding. I thought after we were married that my tennis interest would return. It didn't. I didn't want to play, and still don't."

At first, she said she was delighted by her new life. "I feel like when I wake up in the morning now, my neck and shoulders are loose," she said. "Getting married seems to mellow you. It takes the hyperness away and peaceful feeling set in."

Her "retirement" lasted only four months. She regained her No. 1 ranking in 1980 and 1981, becoming the first woman tennis player to reach $1 million in career tournament earnings. Only the rise over the past few years of Martina Navratilova as the game's dominant woman player kept Evert's "comeback" from appearing complete.

Lloyd's marriage-vs.-tennis problems were equally well chronicled. Ranked in the world's top 30 when he was a bachelor, he fell to a low of No. 356 in 1980.

Lately his game had been improving, however. He teamed with Australia's Wendy Turnbull to capture the French Open mixed doubles in 1983, and the same year he reached the fourth round of the U.S. Open, something he hadn't done in a tournament since 1979.

"I think what I finally realized -- and what Chris figured out after one year -- is that there's no reason you can't go out and train hard on your own and still have a good marriage," he said. "You can have it all if you want to."

He currently is ranked 77th in the world.

While the issue was not as intensely publicized, the couple also had had to deal with rumors that surfaced in Tennis magazine and the British press that Chris had been seen with British rock star Adam Faith, who is an old friend of John Lloyd's.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
As images of Orwell dance through my head....very funny Mrs A-and THANK YOU fore this thread.
Best mash-up idea: Pro tennis and "Animal Farm" and "Animal House."
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #19
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

On Hana breaking Martina's streak, she would also break another long streak for Martina (50 or so matches) at the 1987 Australian. Helena stopped her 74 match streak. But I reas somewhere that when you look at the longest streaks, Hana was the only one to break more than one. Of course, she lost quite a few matches to Martina as a part of those streaks.

I loved reading all of these articles. Though I am disappointed in the quality of work by the Miami Herald. They were very sloppy in their tennis coverage. Here, the mistake was that they said that Hana hadn't beaten Martina since 1980. The big omission was Hana's win over Martina at Wimbkedon 1981. In he 1986 thread, there were several Miami Herald articles with mistakes, especially Edwin Pope's article on the Wimbledon final. He is a fountain of knowledge and a great editorialist in general, but the man couldn't tell you the difference between a fault and a let.

The call mentioned in the articles that gave Hana a critical edge was written about in both Martina's and Hana's book. Hana readily admits that Lee Jackson made a mistake. Hana was one of the players that would give away calls in the spirit of fairness. But most of the players go by an unwritten code: Only give a point to someone who will do the same for you. Martina (and Pam) was a fair player but preferred to go by the calls. So Hana didn't give her the point. By contrast, Hana gave several points away to Chris, most famously in Palm Beach in 85 which gave Evert a match point.

Revenge was to be Martina's though. Martina admits that Richard Kauffman made a huge mistake late in the 3rd set at Amelia Island when Hana was just a few points from beating Martina again.

This was Hana's second title out of two tournaments. She routed Zina 6-1 6-1 for the DC title breaking a long title drought. Hana's father had summoned Betty Stove to Prague at the end of 83, presumably to fire her as Hana's coach. Instead, he told Betty that Hana needed to grow up and travel on her own for a while. It was a good move as Hana won 5 tournaments, second only to Martina by the French. It was a big step toward reestablishing her as secondary only to Martina and Chris.

The loss probably helped refocus Martina. Lets face it, she'd rather lose in Oakland than Paris or Wimbledon. The loss also may have contributed to the break up with Nancy Lieberman, who wanted Martina to help her revive her own athletic career.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post

I loved reading all of these articles. Though I am disappointed in the quality of work by the Miami Herald. They were very sloppy in their tennis coverage. Here, the mistake was that they said that Hana hadn't beaten Martina since 1980. The big omission was Hana's win over Martina at Wimbkedon 1981. In he 1986 thread, there were several Miami Herald articles with mistakes, especially Edwin Pope's article on the Wimbledon final. He is a fountain of knowledge and a great editorialist in general, but the man couldn't tell you the difference between a fault and a let.
It was a big part of tennis' image problem. Far too many of them didn't know the difference between a rally and a volley, or even a forehand and a backhand, nor were they interested in learning much about it because they really didn't want to cover tennis in the first place.

But to be fair, we didn't have the technological conveniences Back Then and the press had to work from notes hastily hand-written during the match or from memory. And they have a deadline -- with time zone havoc sometimes. Even if you do know the difference between a let and double fault, it can be easy enough for you to mix up the two when you are thinking faster than you can type or typing faster than you can think. It wasn't until the 1988 French Open when the press room resembled something we would recognize as "modern."
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #21

SCOUTING - Mileage Adds Up For Mrs. Lloyd
By Thomas Rogers
January 12, 1984
New York Times

Although Chris Evert Lloyd felt elated when she finished a seven-mile run last summer, the long-range effects of the jaunt were not beneficial to the world's second-ranked women's singles tennis player.

''I felt I needed exercise, so I ran with a friend who is a marathoner,'' Mrs. Lloyd said yesterday.

''I felt pleased to finish seven miles, but I bruised the arch on my left foot. I was able to keep competing, by using ice and taping the foot, until the crunch came in the fall. I played three tournaments in a row on hard surfaces, and the pain spread into my heel. The pain inhibited my running.''

Mrs. Lloyd followed the advice of doctors and did not play again after losing to Martina Navratilova for the sixth straight time of the year in Tokyo last Nov. 15. She skipped the Australian Open and spent three weeks in December undergoing therapy that included massages, heat and ultrasound treatments in London.

''My foot feels fine now,'' she said. ''I practiced in Florida during the first week of the year, using arch supports in my tennis shoes.''

Mrs. Lloyd, 29 years old, whose 1983 tournament earnings of $430,436 pushed her career total to $4,796,246, will begin her 1984 season on Feb. 21 in the United States Indoor Championships at Livingston, N.J.

''I'll play in about 20 tournaments, as usual, concentrating on the Grand Slam events,'' she said. ''I'll continue my career as long as I am healthy, continue to play well and enjoy the game. I can't see myself playing more than three years, but I said the same thing when I was 21. You never know with me.''
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:24 AM   #22

A Tennis Town
By Michael Katz
January 3, 1984
New York Times

The Washington Redskins are not the only hot ticket in the capital. Women's tennis, even without Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd, is a sellout.

The semifinal and final rounds for the opening Virginia Slims event of the year, which began yesterday at the George Washington University Smith Center, were sold out even before Miss Navratilova, the No. 1 women's player in the world, withdrew from the tournament last week. Mrs. Lloyd, the No. 2 player, never entered, which leaves Andrea Jaeger, No. 3, as the top-seeded competitor. Miss Navratilova begged off, claiming ''total exhaustion'' and a sore left shoulder.

Charles Brotman, a tournament spokesman, acknowledged that the field was not as strong as usual, but he said, ''Next to the Redskins, this is a tennis town.''

''Tennis fans buy backwards,'' said Brotman. ''First, they get tickets to the finals, then to the semifinals. Those were sold out a few weeks ago, and now the quarterfinals are almost all gone.''

What helped create the sellouts, he conceded, was that the tournament is not being held, as customary, at the Capital Centre in Landover, Md., which can hold more than 15,000 spectators for tennis, but is instead at the 5,500-seat college arena.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:26 AM   #23

GADUSEK TURNS TABLES ON BUNGE
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Tuesday, January 3, 1984
From Inquirer Wire Services

Bonnie Gadusek spoiled the return to competitive tennis by West Germany's Bettina Bunge yesterday by recording a straight-set upset over the third seed in the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tennis tournament.

Bunge, participating in her first tournament since Wimbledon, as she was recovering from an ear operation and tendinitis in the shoulder, fell in 79 minutes, 6-1, 6-4. In three previous meetings between the players, Bunge, ranked seventh in the world, had not lost a set.

Yesterday, however, Gadusek broke Bunge's serve in the second and fourth games, capturing the first set in 26 minutes. Then she came back from a 1-3 deficit in the second set to advance to the next round in the 32-woman single-elimination tournament.

After Bunge broke service to take a 3-1 lead in the second set, Gadusek returned to break Bunge's serve at love to get back into the set.

Gadusek, ranked 19th in the world, again broke service in the critical ninth game of the set - on a double-fault by Bunge - to take a 5-4 lead before closing out the match by holding serve.

Yvonne Vermaak of South Africa won by 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 from Andrea Leand. JoAnne Russell recovered from 2-5 in the second set to down Sweden's Chatrin Jexell, 6-3, 7-5. Kim Schaefer eliminated Kim Sands, 6-4, 6-3.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:29 AM   #24

Gomez breaks Noah -- again
The San Diego Union
Wednesday, January 4, 1984
From News Services

Ecuadorian Andres Gomez spoiled the return of France's Yannick Noah to tournament tennis last night with a 7-6, 7-6 victory in the opening round of the $250,000 Lite Beer Challenge of Champions.

In other matches, defending champion Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia dispatched Poland's Wojtek Fibak 6-4, 6-1 in 45 minutes, and Sweden's Mats Wilander defeated Jimmy Arias 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

Both Gomez and Noah held serve through both sets, but Gomez won the tiebreakers 8-6 and 7-4. It was the third straight time Gomez, ranked No. 13 in the world by the Association of Tennis Professionals, defeated No. 5 Noah.

"I don't know the reason. There's nothing in particular," said Noah, the French Open champion, who has been idle for three months. "Except his game."

The eight-player challenge tournament features five of the world's top six players, according to the ATP computer rankings. Lendl is ranked No. 2, Wilander No. 4 and Arias No. 6. Also playing is No. 3 Jimmy Connors and Gene Mayer. Missing is No. 1 John McEnroe.

Today, Wilander will meet Fibak, Connors takes on Gomez and Noah meets Mayer. The winner of the final Sunday will take home $100,000.

o o o

Top-seeded Andrea Jaeger and fourth-seeded Wendy Turnbull of Australia advanced, but Canada's Carling Bassett was upset in the first round of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington (D.C.).

Jaeger, the world's third-ranked women's tennis player, cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Sharon Walsh, and Turnbull overcame some early erratic play to defeat Great Britain's Anne Hobbs 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, but Bassett fell to Sandra Collins 5-7, 7-5, 7-5 after holding a 4-1 lead in the third set.

In other matches, sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia disposed of Camille Benjamin 6-4, 6-2; Lisa Bonder was a 6-7, 6-1, 6-2 victor over West Germany's Claudia Kohde-Kilsch; and Pam Casale beat Pascale Paradis of France 6-2, 6-2.

Second-seeded Sylvia Hanika of West Germany, who was a finalist last year, was forced to withdraw because of a viral infection.

o o o

Seventh-seeded Heinz Guenthardt of Switzerland and Balazs Taroczy of Hungary came from behind for a 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4, 6-2 victory over South African Kevin Curren and American Steve Denton to make a successful start of their title defense in the $200,000 World Doubles Tennis Championships at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:31 AM   #25

Win puts Connors in semifinals
The San Diego Union
Friday, January 6, 1984
From News Services

Jimmy Connors became the first player to earn a spot in the semifinals of the $250,000 Challenge of Champions tennis tournament in Rosemont, Ill., with a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Gene Mayer last night.

Connors, who came from behind to win the last four games of the second set, raised his record to 2-0 in the eight-man, round-robin exhibition tournament. Mayer dropped to 0-2 and has only a slim chance of making tomorrow's semifinals.

In other matches, Jimmy Arias (1-1) rallied for a 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 triumph over Wotjek Fibak (1-2) of Poland.

Mats Wilander (2-1) and Ivan Lendl (1-1) were to play later last night.

o o o

Unseeded Lisa Bonder needed only 33 minutes to upset top-seeded Andrea Jaeger, who was under the weather, 6-0, 6-1 in a second-round match in the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington. Jaeger, who said that she couldn't run because of menstrual problems, scored only 9 points in the first set, then dropped the first five games of the second set. After salvaging the sixth game on her serve, Jaeger reached deuce before Bonder won the match. Bonder, the 36th-ranked player in the world, will face the tournament's fifth seed, Zina Garrison, in today's quarterfinals. In other second-round action, Pam Casale eliminated fourth-seeded Wendy Turnbull of Australia 6-4, 6-7 (7-4), 6-4; sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia triumphed 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 over Terry Phelps; and Barbara Potter easily handled West Germany's Eva Pfaff, 6-2, 6-1.

o o o

Third-seeded Swedes Anders Jarryd and Hans Simonsson outfought defending champions Heinz Guenthardt of Switzerland and Balazs Taroczy of Hungary 6-7 (0-7), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 in the $200,000 World Doubles Tennis Championships at London's Royal Albert Hall.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:33 AM   #26

SEEDS TOPPLED IN MATCH-PLAY GOLF
The Miami Herald
Saturday, January 7, 1984
From Herald Wire Services

[...]

Tennis

Americans Fritz Buehning and Peter Fleming dethroned reigning champions Heinz Gunthardt and Balasz Taroczy to reach the semifinals of the WCT World Doubles Championships in London. Buehning and Fleming won, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1, allowing the Swedish Davis Cup team of Anders Jarryd and Hans Simonsson to advance to the semifinals.

In today's matches, Buehning and Fleming will face the Czech duo of Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid. Jarryd and Simonsson will play Mark Edmondson of Australia and American Sherwood Stewart.

Edmondson, 29, and Stewart, 37, the oldest team in the event and partners for just four months, finished undefeated and in first place of the White Group after defeating the brother team of Tim and Tom Gullikson, 6-2, 7-6, 7-6.

Jarryd and Simonsson, who lost in the Davis Cup final in Australia last week, beat Kevin Curren of South Africa and American Steve Denton, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4.

More tennis

Sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova and eighth-seeded Helena Sukova reached the semifinals of a $150,000 women's tournament in Washington. Fifth-seeded Zina Garrison also reached the semifinals by allowing Lisa Bonder only seven points in the first set in an easy 6-1, 6-3 triumph. Garrison will face Pam Casale, who defeated Kathy Horvath, 6-2, 6-1. Mandlikova routed unseeded Bonnie Gadusek of Largo, Fla., 6-2, 6-4. Sukova won, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, over Barbara Potter ... Favored Ivan Lendl and Jimmy Connors rode straight-set victories to the semifinals of the Lite Tennis Challenge of Champions in Rosemont, Ill. ... John McEnroe, who led in the computer rankings more than any other male tennis players during 1983, was named the first Association of Tennis Professionals Computer Player of the Year.

[...]
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:39 AM   #27

Miss Garrison Gains Final
Associated Press
January 8, 1984
New York Times

WASHINGTON, Jan. 7— Zina Garrison fought from a 2-0 deficit in the third set to defeat Pam Casale today and join Hana Mandlikova in the final of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tennis tournament.

After Miss Mandlikova eliminated a fellow Czechoslovak, Helena Sukova, 6-1, 7-6, Miss Garrison, seeded fifth, advanced to only the second final of her professional career with a 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 victory over Miss Casale.

Miss Mandlikova, ranked 12th in the world, will be seeking her first victory in a major tournament in more than two years. Miss Garrison is ranked 10th in the world. The winner of the match Sunday night will receive $30,000.

Miss Casale reversed the flow of the match in the second set. After Miss Garrison broke serve to go up, 2-1, Miss Casale broke serve in the fourth and sixth games and in the decisive 12th game to pull even.

Miss Casale opened the set by holding serve and then breaking Miss Garrison's serve. But from that point it was all Miss Garrison, who made up for a 6-0, 6-0 defeat in the French Open in the only previous meeting between the two right-handers.

Miss Mandlikova, who gained the championship without dropping a set, needed to hold service to tie the second set at 6-all and force the tiebreaker.

In the tiebreaker, won by Miss Mandlikova, 7-5, both players held serve until the final point when Miss Sukova committed an unforced error, hitting her shot in the net.

Swedish Pair Advance

LONDON, Jan. 7 (UPI) - Anders Jarryd and Hans Simonsson of Sweden moved into the final of the $200,000 world doubles tournament today by beating Mark Edmondson of Australia and Sherwood Stewart of the United States, 6-4, 7-6, 5-7, 7-6, in a a tense 2-hour, 51-minute rematch of last year's French Open final.

Peter Fleming and Fritz Buehning of the United States were defeated by Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia, 6-7, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4, in the other semifinal of the eight- team event. The sixth-seeded Czechoslovakians took 2 hours, 35 minutes for a memorable victory over the second-seeded Americans, who both stand a towering 6-foot-5.

This will be the first all-European final in the 12-year history of the World Doubles Tennis Championships.

Connors and Lendl Win

ROSEMONT, Ill., Jan. 7 (AP) - Ivan Lendl and Jimmy Connors were sharp as they took 3-0 records into the semifinals of the eight-man, $250,000 Lite Challenge of Champions today in quest of the $100,000 top prize. Lendl trounced Jimmy Arias, 6-2, 6-1, in 39 minutes Friday night, and Connors followed with a 6-1, 7-5 triumph over Yannick Noah.

Connors was scheduled to face Wojtek Fibak, and Lendl was to meet Andres Gomez, who turned back Gene Mayer, 6-3, 6-1. Fibak did not play Friday night, but his 1-2 record was good enough for a semifinal berth because of Lendl's triumph over Arias.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:41 AM   #28

MISS MANDLIKOVA TAKES FINAL EASILY
United Press International
January 9, 1984
New York Times

WASHINGTON, Jan. 8— Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia won her first tournament in more than two years tonight, defeating Zina Garrison, 6-1, 6-1, in the final of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington.

The match took only 46 minutes, as Miss Garrison went for risky shots and could not handle her opponent's attacking style. Miss Mandlikova, ranked 12th in the world, played coolly and hit many winners en route to earning the $30,000 first prize in the opening event of the winter tour.

''If you put pressure on Zina's backhand and sometimes her forehand, it can really give her trouble,'' said the victor. ''I just tried to serve well and go to the net.''

After Miss Garrison, a Texan, had held for 1-1, Miss Mandlkova reeled off six games for the set. She broke Miss Garrison at love in the first game of the second set, and when she held serve after an 18-point second game, Miss Garrison appeared to lose her spirit.

Miss Garrison earned $15,000. She was in the final for only the second time in her professional career.

Connors Winner

ROSEMONT, Ill., Jan. 8 (UPI) - Jimmy Connors won his second Lite Challenge of Champions today by brushing aside Andres Gomez, 6-3, 6-2, 6-1, in the final of the $250,000, eight-player exhibition. The winner got $100,000 and the loser $60,000.

Gomez, who upset top-seeded Ivan Lendl, last year's winner, in a match that ended after 1 A.M. Sunday, could not find the same form in the final, making many unforced errors. Connors lost only one set in the round robin, which began Tuesday.

Taking seven straight games midway through the match, Connors was never in trouble. He was sharp at the net and with passing shots. He trailed only once, when Gomez held serve in the opening game. Connors lost only 12 points in the third set, ending the match in 93 minutes. He and Gomez are in the 12-man field for the Volvo Masters, starting Tuesday in New York.

Czech Team Victor

LONDON, Jan. 8 (AP) - Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia defeated Sweden's Anders Jarryd and Hans Simonsson, 1-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, today and won the World Championship Tennis doubles title. The winners shared $72,000.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:42 AM   #29

Connors wins easily
The San Diego Union
Monday, January 9, 1984
From News Services

"This was the best I played all week," said Jimmy Connors yesterday, and Andres Gomez was in no position to dispute the statement.

Connors, 31, blazed past the 23-year-old Ecuadorian tennis champion in a battle of left-handers to win the $250,000 Chicago Challenge of Champions 6-3, 6-2, 6-1 at Rosemont, Ill.

It was easy, so easy that Connors needed only 1:33 to win the best-of-five match in straight sets and take down the top prize of $100,000. Gomez earned $60,000. Both Connors and Gomez will be among those who will compete in the Masters Tournament in New York this week.

"It didn't start that way," said Connors, "but I hit a couple of good shots, and he missed a couple and I started gaining confidence. This is the best I've played all week, but I can play better.

"This tournament helped me," said Connors. "Match by match, I got better and played deeper. At 31, you have to work harder. My conditioning, my tennis and my attitude have improved."

o o o

Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid, the Czechoslovakian tennis duo, defeated Sweden's Anders Jarryd and Hans Simonsson 1-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 in a fluctuating final yesterday at London and won the WCT World Doubles Championships for the first time.

A crowd of 4,500 watched the match in London's Royal Albert Hall. It was the first all-European final in the 12-year history of the tournament. Slozil and Smid won a first prize of $72,000. Jarryd and Simonsson earned $36,000.

o o o

Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia won her first title in more than two years, defeating Zina Garrison 6-1, 6-1 in the finals of a $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tennis tournament. Mandlikova, the No. 6 seed ranked 12th in the world, needed only 46 minutes to subdue Garrison, the No. 5 seed. Mandlikova collected $30,000.

o o o

Jenny Klitch of Columbus, Ohio, took just 65 minutes to capture her first professional tennis title as she downed veteran Pam Teeguarden 6-2, 6-1 in the finals of the $50,000 Ginny of Nashville. She earned $7,000.
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #30

A NIGERIAN'S TENNIS ODYSSEY
By JANE GROSS
May 7, 1984
New York Times

With Jimmy Connors waiting for him in the second round, Nduka Odizor's prospects were not bright at the Tournament of Champions, but the 25-year-old Nigerian did not expect to be summarily dismissed, 6-0, 6-3, in his first match yesterday by Danie Visser of South Africa.

Odizor is a hard-court specialist, and after having lost on the synthetic clay at the West Side Tennis Club the last two years, he devoted himself to mastering the slower surface.

''It took 12 months to prepare for this tournament,'' said Odizor, who lost the first nine games of yesterday's match. ''Before coming here, I was playing the best I ever played on clay. All the work I put in went down the drain today.''

Then he turned more philosophical and noted that ''you win some, you lose some, but I'm not dead yet.''

Not Ready for Big Ones

Even before his jolting loss, Odizor decided that his clay-court game was not yet ready for the Italian and French championships, which he does not plan to enter until next year. While other players, especially Americans, were willing to essentially write off the European clay circuit, Odizor said he was determined to become ''an all-around player.''

His tennis odyssey, although far less successful, is reminiscent of Yannick Noah's. Both were discovered playing the game on dusty courts in their native Africa, after which both left for other places to develop their talent. Odizor's sponsor was Dr. Robert Wren, a University of Houston professor and tennis fan, who met him on a trip to Lagos, the Nigerian capital, 10 years ago and encouraged him to move to Texas.

He finished high school in Houston, then enrolled at the university, three years ahead of his basketball-playing countryman, Akeem Olajuwon. While working toward a degree in marketing, Odizor earned all-America honors three times and was the school's athlete of the year in 1981, when he was a semifinalist in both singles and doubles at the National Collegiate Athletic Association championships.

His progress on the men's tour has been more modest. He climbed from a ranking of 457 in 1980 to 65 last year, with his most impressive results coming at Wimbledon, where he beat Guillermo Vilas on the way to the round of 16. Odizor, known as The Duke, won his place at the Tournament of Champions by capturing two titles in 1983 - in Taiwan and Nigeria.

Yesterday, he compared his loss to the one suffered by the University of Houston against Georgetown in the N.C.A.A. basketball final, which he said he watched in tears. ''The opponent came out and played so well that it was too deep a hole,'' he said. ''I planned to start slow because I wanted him to overhit, but he made me miss before I could get my rhythm going.''

As for his impending match against Connors Wednesday, Visser did not even try to act bravely. ''I've never played him before,'' he said, ''and I'm scared.''

Lendl in Doubles

The opening program was so uninspiring that more than 50 spectators passed up the matches in the stadium to press against a fence watching Connors practice on a court tucked behind the clubhouse. . . . Ivan Lendl, who usually concentrates on singles, is scheduled to play doubles with Ricky Meyer of New York.

Final to Mrs. Lloyd

JOHANNESBURG, May 6 (UPI) - Chris Evert Lloyd took less than an hour to beat Andrea Jaeger, 6-3, 6-0, and capture the $30,000 first prize in the South African women's championships today.

''I was tired after a late semifinal last night, and bad calls put me off,'' said Miss Jaeger. ''You just have to have everything perfect when you play against Chris.''